IT Depression

cxz

Alright so I am about to get a degree in computer information technology next month, but I have yet to find any computer, IT, or just anything that I can get for experience.  So was just wondering from any of you IT gurus or anyone that has recently started, what got your foot in the door?  Thanks and hopefully no one minds seeing another one of these posts =D

Have you built a pc?

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

So was just wondering from any of you IT gurus or anyone that has recently started, what got your foot in the door?

Hi,

I just graduated high school and only had a 2 year degree in general sciences (the basics). 

The IT manager grew up with my mom (same high school and everything), my sister worked there, and this is a small town. I got into Baylor (Private college that costs uber $$$, which is why I don't go there anymore), and I love computers. 

... needless to say it wasn't hard getting an internship. And apparently I'm doing good work because I'm now not an intern, but an operator (people who work on user machines and issues).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Alright so I am about to get a degree in computer information technology next month, but I have yet to find any computer, IT, or just anything that I can get for experience.  So was just wondering from any of you IT gurus or anyone that has recently started, what got your foot in the door?  Thanks and hopefully no one minds seeing another one of these posts =D

idk, i just got a computer and screwed around with it. I mess with settings, try to write some code every now and again and watch crap tons of YouTube, lol

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

Have you built a pc?

Yes of course.  I have also done freelance work for other people, but do not have "professional experience."

Hi,

I just graduated high school and only had a 2 year degree in general sciences (the basics). 

The IT manager grew up with my mom (same high school and everything), my sister worked there, and this is a small town. I got into Baylor (Private college that costs uber $$$, which is why I don't go there anymore), and I love computers. 

... needless to say it wasn't hard getting an internship. And apparently I'm doing good work because I'm now not an intern, but an operator (people who work on user machines and issues).

Yeah I would even be happy with an internship, but I don't have a bachelors yet.  Guess I could try volunteer work.

idk, i just got a computer and screwed around with it. I mess with settings, try to write some code every now and again and watch crap tons of YouTube, lol

Yeah I've done some programming and it makes me want to kill myself lol.

if you can't find any paid work then volunteer at your local schools,  Not only does it count as experiences but the fact it's volunteer work looks good on your resume and shows prospective employers that you have a work ethic.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

First read, read and read about the latest tech and read as in find out what it offers and what it is used for, digest it store it in your brain.

Next, join User Groups for anything you like or think you will like, then meet people at the meet ups, don't go starting off all conversations with "I'm looking for a job", instead engage people on tech and your likes and dislikes with it and of course what ever the meet up is about, learn and discuss with those who will engage you. Then wait for job offers or hints to people who are un-happy or listing out who's hiring and who's not, which companies are dieing (avoid going to them) and those who are gaining customer base.

Basically do the leg work, and stay close to the tech you'd like to work in. 

Just because you don't have a job does not mean you can't go out and see what's going on and get your fingers on something, even if its a pamphlet. Even if the people you meet will not give you a job it could be a contact you can use later in a job for a specific tech.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Hours of searching the internet for parts plus a general interest in the subject matter and building my own.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

The most important thing you can do right now is social networking. Go to user group meetings, job fairs, professional networking events, e-mail local businesses and politely ask to speak to their IT Director. Ask for career advice; I have yet to meet an IT Director or Network Manager who didn't love imparting their own personal wisdom onto anyone who will listen. This also has the added side benefit of giving them a mildly vested interest in your success which can lead to solid opportunities. To that point, if you happen to live in SE Wisconsin or NE Illinois, message me and we can talk. 

Work on your interviewing skills. The last time I had an entry level opening, HR handed me over 200 resumes. You need to stand out. The hardest thing about working in IT today isn't understanding the technology, the hardest thing is being able to communicate that understanding in a way that is palatable to the end user and more importantly, management. Quite frankly, I don't care what you know; teaching the technology bit is easy, teaching the social and business aspects of the job is damn near impossible. Make sure you highlight your social skills and business acumen at job interviews. We gobble that shit up. 

I got into IT at a time when industry was desperate for anyone who knew anything about computer networks. I don't envy your current position. Best of luck to you. 

It is all about who you know, I got lucky and my buddys dad is CFO of a good size oil company so he got me in right away. Still had to interview and get drilled by the IT supervisor about computers... good thing that's what I went to school for so I passed with flying colors :)

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

if you can't find any paid work then volunteer at your local schools,  Not only does it count as experiences but the fact it's volunteer work looks good on your resume and shows prospective employers that you have a work ethic.

Yeah I'm gonna try to look into that and see what happens.

First read, read and read about the latest tech and read as in find out what it offers and what it is used for, digest it store it in your brain.

Next, join User Groups for anything you like or think you will like, then meet people at the meet ups, don't go starting off all conversations with "I'm looking for a job", instead engage people on tech and your likes and dislikes with it and of course what ever the meet up is about, learn and discuss with those who will engage you. Then wait for job offers or hints to people who are un-happy or listing out who's hiring and who's not, which companies are dieing (avoid going to them) and those who are gaining customer base.

Basically do the leg work, and stay close to the tech you'd like to work in. 

Just because you don't have a job does not mean you can't go out and see what's going on and get your fingers on something, even if its a pamphlet. Even if the people you meet will not give you a job it could be a contact you can use later in a job for a specific tech.

As in user groups you are refering to if linustechtips had a meet up or something?

The most important thing you can do right now is social networking. Go to user group meetings, job fairs, professional networking events, e-mail local businesses and politely ask to speak to their IT Director. Ask for career advice; I have yet to meet an IT Director or Network Manager who didn't love imparting their own personal wisdom onto anyone who will listen. This also has the added side benefit of giving them a mildly vested interest in your success which can lead to solid opportunities. To that point, if you happen to live in SE Wisconsin or NE Illinois, message me and we can talk. 

Work on your interviewing skills. The last time I had an entry level opening, HR handed me over 200 resumes. You need to stand out. The hardest thing about working in IT today isn't understanding the technology, the hardest thing is being able to communicate that understanding in a way that is palatable to the end user and more importantly, management. Quite frankly, I don't care what you know; teaching the technology bit is easy, teaching the social and business aspects of the job is damn near impossible. Make sure you highlight your social skills and business acumen at job interviews. We gobble that shit up. 

I got into IT at a time when industry was desperate for anyone who knew anything about computer networks. I don't envy your current position. Best of luck to you. 

Yeah I like tinkering with computers, so figured it would be a great job, but after talking to my professor about the field and looking around this profession is pretty bloated =(  I never thought or knew that I could email and speak to head IT people.  Also what makes someone stand out on a resume?  My grades def won't make a difference, slacked off a lot in the begining.

It is all about who you know, I got lucky and my buddys dad is CFO of a good size oil company so he got me in right away. Still had to interview and get drilled by the IT supervisor about computers... good thing that's what I went to school for so I passed with flying colors :)

Yeah my friend helped me get an interview once, but I made a stupid mistake on a test.  I was so nervous....I suck lol

Sorry about not replying sooner guys, been super busy trying to knock these projects out and slipped my mind.  I'm always willing to learn and grow, so more input is definately appreciated =D

As in user groups you are refering to if linustechtips had a meet up or something?

No, more like Linux users group, Windows users group, Cisco users group, VMware users group, <insert large company name/or tech> users group. Sorry but LTT is not that big or of in need of regional meet ups.

No, more like Linux users group, Windows users group, Cisco users group, VMware users group, <insert large company name/or tech> users group. Sorry but LTT is not that big or of in need of regional meet ups.

Well it was kind of what I was thinking.  So with Linux I would find a LUG and Linux Fest would be good places to check out?

my friend is working in the IT department at my university. he sees all traffic. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Well it was kind of what I was thinking.  So with Linux I would find a LUG and Linux Fest would be good places to check out?

Yes, that's it. Remember just because you go to them does not mean you need to know everything about it/them, you are there to get info and learn so don't feel bad if its all foreign at first and definitely don't let anyone discourage you from going as well.

Yes, that's it. Remember just because you go to them does not mean you need to know everything about it/them, you are there to get info and learn so don't feel bad if its all foreign at first and definitely don't let anyone discourage you from going as well.

Ok cool I'll see what I can find...sweet looks like the Charlotte lug is inactive =( Thanks again for the help.

Lots of entry level IT jobs, like help desks, have been offshored.

Try looking for IT support jobs in schools or local businesses.

Yeah I like tinkering with computers, so figured it would be a great job, but after talking to my professor about the field and looking around this profession is pretty bloated =(  I never thought or knew that I could email and speak to head IT people.  Also what makes someone stand out on a resume?  My grades def won't make a difference, slacked off a lot in the begining.

A couple years ago, a college student contacted me out of the blue and very politely asked if I could set aside some time to talk about my work and if I had any openings. I was so impressed with how direct and well spoken he was that I went to my HR Director and created an internship. I'll admit that many people are going to brush you off if you try this but, eventually someone will like the gumpshun. 

On the point of grades; that may be something the HR people will screen but, I seriously doubt it. I've never asked a person about their grades and I've never been asked about mine. Whether or not you graduated (or are still attending) is the only thing anyone will really care about. 

With resumes, write a cover letter tailored to each job you are applying for. Read up on the employer and find a way to work that information into your cover letter/resume. If I see a well written cover letter, I'll at least give the applicant an interview.

Once you're in the room, be confident. You wouldn't be there if they weren't considering you for the job. Make eye contact. Don't be afraid to show you have a sense of humor; nobody wants to work with a robot. After the interview, thank them for their time and don't be afraid to ask questions. 

For me a friend of mine used to own a internet cafe and he hires me to do some work on other net cafes in uae. in the end some dude recruited me and I got a job.

Live your life like a dream.

Do Computer Science, it's much better IMO

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

What got your foot in the door?

I'm about to graduate as an Industrial Engineer in Electronics and IT. Already signed a contract at a firm before graduating. My job title will be Linux consultant. What pulled me ahead of the rest is the face that I've been doing the stuff I'll need to be doing at the firm for many years as a hobby already. I started out when I was ~13 building PC's from garbage components and putting Linux on them. About everything I know about Linux administration is self-taught. I also write tutorials and have two servers running Linux. Basically, I was more than they wished for in a student coming straight from uni.

Whatever advice you end up getting, do what you like to do instead of what people tell you to do. It'll get you a lot further.

I'm about to graduate as an Industrial Engineer in Electronics and IT. Already signed a contract at a firm before graduating. My job title will be Linux consultant. What pulled me ahead of the rest is the face that I've been doing the stuff I'll need to be doing at the firm for many years as a hobby already. I started out when I was ~13 building PC's from garbage components and putting Linux on them. About everything I know about Linux administration is self-taught. I also write tutorials and have two servers running Linux. Basically, I was more than they wished for in a student coming straight from uni.

Whatever advice you end up getting, do what you like to do instead of what people tell you to do. It'll get you a lot further.

Yeah I know, but doesn't hurt to see what everyone else did or just get a bit of info.  I do some freelance work for friends, family, and random ppl with problems...I assume businesses want "professional" work which I have none.  Guess I better start teaching myself more.

What kind of degree?  Bachelors?

Intern somewhere.  Although you really should have been doing that way before you're about to graduate.  Generally you want a job offer before you finish school.  But if you can, definitely try and snag an internship somewhere.  It's a bit harder to express IT related things that CS related things.  I assume you have been doing some coding/scripting?  Have a github account?

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

Alright so I am about to get a degree in computer information technology next month, but I have yet to find any computer, IT, or just anything that I can get for experience. So was just wondering from any of you IT gurus or anyone that has recently started, what got your foot in the door? Thanks and hopefully no one minds seeing another one of these posts =D

I am currently a High school student. I used to walk around a local liquidation company called marrs, when one day I saw a ton of computers. I asked the front desk queen [Amanda] how she started working at marrs. When she was done I asked what they did with all of the comps that went through, they sold them to computer shops to repair them. So after that I straight up askedif they could use a techie to fix them so they could be sold with higher margins. Long story short I have worked for them for the past 2 years and haven't looked back. Now I have a very hearty skillset with no it schooling. And I make 15-35 $ an hour.

Please excuse my typing I'm on a old tablet and on the road.

My rig: Case: Cooler master storm scout

CPU: I5 3570k - Ram:  8Gb Kingston HyperX Blu

GPU: GTX 660 - Sorage: 2-1TB WD black;  120 GB samsung 840

My dad been doing the computer buzz for 20 years, he told me what he knows and one day, all I know is that he came home with alot of parts (back when the 280's where a beast) and we built a computer, he runs his own thing and he brings home computers and tells me to fix them, I get a cut and we all live happy lives.. *only thing is that he's a apple fan for some reason*

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.