100% LHR unlock at NiceHash? It’s here!

kushari
55 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Its still a Graphics Processing Unit and not a hash processing unit......

Terms stick around for familiarity. It may have started for rendering graphics specifically, and it may still be the primary development driver, but in the end they are just accelerator cards for particular problems or types of math. Plenty of data centres and scientists use GPUs for things they're "not made for", but the nature of the problem makes them highly suited for it and hence they are made for it.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

4 minutes ago, tikker said:

Terms stick around for familiarity. It may have started for rendering graphics specifically, and it may still be the primary development driver, but in the end they are just accelerator cards for particular problems or types of math. Plenty of data centres and scientists use GPUs for things they're "not made for", but the nature of the problem makes them highly suited for it and hence they are made for it.

As i said before, just because it can do it doesnt mean it was designed to do it, getting boring hearing the same lame excuses......

10 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

As i said before, just because it can do it doesnt mean it was designed to do it, getting boring hearing the same lame excuses......

So because something was intended for purpose X it should NEVER EVER EVER be used for anything else because that other thing that does well on the first item needs to be designed from the ground up to use new stuff because logic?

By that logic the internet should only be used for defense communication and text, not sharing memes and shit with friends.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 hours ago, Marko1600 said:

Why did China ban crypto mining? Because they felt like it? Because we're not at 100% renewable energy yet and that means your putting CO2 In the atmosphere so you can buy your favorite ice cream at McDonald's.

Crypto purchases can only occur at McDonalds? Wait, if I'm not mining, how is my GPU using 240 watts? 

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

By that logic the internet should only be used for defense communication and text, not sharing memes and shit with friends.

Ships are only for war and conquering other nations in case you didn't know. No more shipping of goods.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

19 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

It's the "not made for it" excuse that is lame. Computers weren't invented for gaming or browsing these forums, they were invented to compute, so by your logic we aren't even allowed to browse the forums having this discussion, because it's not what they were made for.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Nah you just thrown in a gross oversimplification to prove your flawed point.... :old-dry: A components name describes the function(s) it was designed to do, just because someone found a way to (ab)use said component out of spec doesnt mean it is suited for that...

I don't think a name given to something before general purpose compute were even possible on it is all that valid of an argument. Neither is it "out of spec", you'll have to take that up with Microsoft and DirectCompute, Nvidia CUDA, AMD OpenCL/ROCm. Nearly 50% of Nvidia revenue is servicing non-graphical use cases i.e. Datacenter.

31 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

getting boring hearing the same lame excuses......

pointing-mirror-guy-meme-template-9qs8v.jpg

16 hours ago, kushari said:

Summary

Nicehash claims to have unlocked LHR cards to 100% of their pre LHR hash rates for mining.

Quotes

My thoughts

Might create a shortage again for the LHR cards if this is true. Also I'm expecting many other mining software to be able to unlock 100% if Nicehash is actually able to do it.

Sources

https://www.nicehash.com/blog/post/100-lhr-unlock-at-nicehash-its-here

I dont think it will matter. Firstly the goverment slapped Nvidia on the wrist for not disclosing to shareholders how many GPU's it sold to miners. THe reason is mining booms come and go and these profits were not sustainable. Effectively they lied to shareholders which they legally cant do. That means the US Securities and Exchange commission will have their eye on them as well as their shareholders. Nvidia isn't going to be selling pallets of cards to miners. Secondly many of these coins suffer from the same issues as stocks. They are influenced by speculation. Look at Elon Musk, he has influenced the worth of many coins. This means that at any time the value of the coin and increase or decrease based on speculation. Mining is only worth it if the coin is worth more than the cost of the hardware and the electricity to run tha said hardware. With the push to electric cars I suspect the cost of electricity will be going up. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

17 hours ago, kushari said:

Might create a shortage again for the LHR cards if this is true. Also I'm expecting many other mining software to be able to unlock 100% if Nicehash is actually able to do it.

I'm expecting other miners to follow suit soon to be honest. A bit of quick searching does seem to imply it's not quite stable for people though. Hopefully that gets resolved. Another shortage, I'm not sure. The big price boom has subsided, so unless this actually will motivate people to get back in more than seeing high prices, I don't think it'll have that big of an effect.

44 minutes ago, tikker said:

HPE catagorizes them as 'Computation and Graphics Accelerator' in their spec sheets. Nobody really gives a toss what they are called, or most things really, "Just give me the thing that does the thing"

image.png.e11948072b68bb70aa7ec552eb8066d9.png

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Nearly 50% of Nvidia revenue is servicing non-graphical use cases i.e. Datacenter.

With purpose built cards not you run of the mil gaming card, apple vs orange (same with super computers)...

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

I don't think a name given to something before general purpose compute were even possible on it is all that valid of an argument.

Neither is using a feature that is essentially a bolted on afterthought of a function intended for processing graphics related problems (matrices and vectors)....

20 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

yes. plus eth 2.0 will end this.

Been hearing that for way too long.

5 hours ago, seon123 said:

Welp, I guess all the supercomputers using GPUs should just be sold for parts to gamers now. Who cares about science, they're made for processing graphics. Out of all the arguments against using massive amounts of GPUs for cryptocurrency mining, this has to be one of the worst

Yep, and what about folding on GPUs should we stop doing that too...

Also seeing as I'm in the topic, why not check out the upcoming folding event! There will be prizes! 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

As i said before, just because it can do it doesnt mean it was designed to do it

But it can do it, and who to tell what one person can or can't do with an item they own

I can use GPU as a doorstop if I so please

6 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

getting boring hearing the same lame excuses......

Same, lol, look how yours turned out

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

With purpose built cards not you run of the mil gaming card, apple vs orange (same with super computers)...

Nope, literally the same GPU dies as found in your RTX gaming cards. The only one that is different is the Gx100 dies, everything else all literally the same and pure binning and microcode differences.

Just different varieties of apples, still all apples.

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Neither is using a feature that is essentially a bolted on afterthought of a function intended for processing graphics related problems (matrices and vectors)....

They are not an afterthought, every GPU archecture is fundamentally built around compute now. There is no difference at all between doing vector math and "graphics" in that area of the pipeline. Guess we better also throw out any game physics/shaders etc calculated on GPU then too, that was never "intended" also.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-ComputeShader.html

25 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I can use GPU as a doorstop if I so please

I remember a Youtube video from years ago and a guy was using a 3 month old Titan Z as a coaster for his cup.  Can't for the life of me remember what channel that was on though.  Think it was the same one that one of the background Dudes used to wear a T-Shirt with the legend "Jesus Quicksaves" on it

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

13 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

Can't for the life of me remember what channel that was on though.

Tek syndicate

33 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Just different varieties of apples, still all apples.

Don't think you should go that in-depth with someone who literally thinks a product name determine what it's responsibility should be

My responsibility on the forum is apparently "Moonzy", whatever that means

At least yours have a meaning

13 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Tek syndicate

Thanks!

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

15 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

My responsibility on the forum is apparently "Moonzy", whatever that means

Well i'm defenitely Simple and Chunky So...maybe it holds true??

100% unlocked LHR miners are popping up, nbminer have 100% unlocked too it seems

Speculate that there was a Nvidia source code dump by lapsus or something

It's *really* not a great time to start mining right now.  Even if you have free electricity it's 1 year break even periods, and that's assuming ETH doesn't switch to proof-of-stake in the next 6 months, and NV is probably going to drop the 4000 series in 6 months too killing the resale value of 3000 cards.

So I don't expect this to have any impact at all on availability of cards.  You can already see on ebay a ton of people dumping their gear hoping they can back out of overextending their credit limits.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

So, now that demand is drying up and prices going down... NOW  they release 100% unlocked miners?

I think I need a tinfoil hat, because I wouldn't put it past nVidia to have done this themselves. Give the 30 series one last overpriced "hurrah!" before Lovelace puts it to pasture.

20 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Welp, guess im not allowed to use the 2 consumer rtx gpus i bought with my own money for AI generation, acceleration and training. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒