AMD R9 295X2 Review

NCIX: http://bit.ly/XzB3P6

Amazon: http://georiot.co/3QJ2

I'd like to thank AMD for making this card. I cover this in more detail in the video, but it's the first piece of hardware that I've really felt is TRULY enthusiast class from a mainstream manufacturer in recent memory. Props AMD for pushing the envelope and building something that's truly different from the other solutions out there.

WOOP

EDIT: I wonder, could you modd the card into a custom loop? do the blocks function with the pumps turned off? can you turn them off?

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

oooooo i was looking out for this

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Ah so they finally sent you one eh?

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

As much as I hate the card and some aspects of the company behind it, I still must give them props for making a really high performance GPU.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Yo @LinusTech, why is it unlisted?

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

but can it run youtube videos in 60fps, the answer is no, they are capped at 24fps.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Videos always show up on the forum a little while before they go live. It's part of my release process.

Sweet, I had never noticed it before! Excellent review. I like it that you focused on what and who this card is meant for, rather than the usual rants one would find on the internet.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Surprised about it having extremely similar performance to two 780 tis.
Also, luke should buy a dozen or two cheap dell 1280x1024 monitors and have a superwall* instead of static posters.

*Note: I just created that word. It means a wall that doubles as a display.

Woo!

the video is now ready to watch

interesting you have to borrow the card from Austin

if Asus creates the Ares III with better cooler i will jump into that card but if only the card isn't way more expensive than the current pricing

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

WOOP

EDIT: I wonder, could you modd the card into a custom loop? do the blocks function with the pumps turned off? can you turn them off?

i was also thinking this, possible or not? i reckon people who have the money to buy this kind of equipment would most probably have a custom watercooled rig setup anyway,  would be a shame to not utilize that.

So basically we are getting better and cooler performance from a single 295X than 2 290X in Crossfire, while paying a 200$ premium over 2 reference 290X. Looks like a good deal to me, but I will need to put in the research to fit this card in any of my current builds.

Thanks for the information rich video and thumbs up for listing all the pros and cons lucidly.

:)

I would like to see more games in the performance numbers

Luke

can we also know the test bench setup?

was it the i7 3770K system?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

It has an AIO cooler, so the pumps are in the blocks that are on each GPU. So, whenever a proper water block is released, you'd have to remove current shroud and blocks to apply it just like any other card.

i was also thinking this, possible or not? i reckon people who have the money to buy this kind of equipment would most probably have a custom watercooled rig setup anyway,  would be a shame to not utilize that.

right, especially as it really is not that expensive when you factor in that you get a free "waterblock" with it.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

So if you are getting second one from AMD, maybe test a quad crossfire? How it will be to set up into ATX case?

Can't wait to see what Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA and Msi do with this card  :lol:

I want folding and mining specs. 7990 is a beast folder.  Can't wait until Custom PC's review on this for those specs

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Can't wait to see what Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA and Msi do with this card  :lol:

Right, cause EVGA makes ref/non-ref AMD cards. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

On 7:50 Slick said that there was some bottleneck in the computer. There wasn't. The Assassin's Creed 4 game engine is capped to 62fps. Even if you play on the lowest settings with a ridiculously high-end PC, it still goes only up to 62fps.

Here's an example. This was even taken on the highest possible settings. 
ac4_1600_900.gif
Source: TechPowerUp

My PC: CPU: Intel Core i3 3220, MB: ASUS P8P67 LE, GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670, RAM: 4GB 1333mhz DDR3, Storage: 750GB Hitachi, PSU: CoolerMaster G650M 80+ Bronze, Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Case: Multirama, Display: Acer x229w 22" 1680x1050, Keyboard: Logitech K120, Mouse: Steelseries Kinzu v2, Sound: Logitech 2.1 system