Spoiled by better tech than I can afford

Aaralli

I was given a Ryzen 9 3950X and RTX 2070 Super by a friend who upgraded to a Ryzen 9 5950X and RTX 3090... When it comes time to upgrade my own PC, which could be years from now, I'll never be able to justify spending that much on parts that are just as powerful with the generational improvements. I like having 16 CPU cores, but in five years I may have to buy a 6 core or 8 core... Anyone else ever experience this "spoiled" feeling?

Products in lower price ranges also get faster over time, the i7 of 5 years ago is the i3 of today. There's always the option to not upgrade until you're able to afford something better than what you already have. I'd argue that's the smarter way to go about it, and without major shifts in the home computing landscape a 3950X should still be a decent CPU in 10 years.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

If i were you i would have just sold them off cause lets be real here that 3950x is basically useless for any gamer and if you dont use 16 cores you are better off selling it and getting an 8 core or however many cores you actually use

37 minutes ago, Aaralli said:

I was given a Ryzen 9 3950X and RTX 2070 Super by a friend who upgraded to a Ryzen 9 5950X and RTX 3090... When it comes time to upgrade my own PC, which could be years from now, I'll never be able to justify spending that much on parts that are just as powerful with the generational improvements. I like having 16 CPU cores, but in five years I may have to buy a 6 core or 8 core... Anyone else ever experience this "spoiled" feeling?

Do what I did to get the hardware you want. 

Make money with your computer.

There are several Pro quality programs you can get for free like Blender and Davinci Resolve. There are also plenty of YouTube videos on how to use them.

The only thing stopping you is you.  

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

2 minutes ago, jones177 said:

Make money with your computer.

Hmm stonks

Offtopic but what do you do to make money off your computer? And where the hell are you gonna find the buyers?

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

Reveal hidden contents

Furry pr0n is popular amongst degenerates this day, and it really pays.

no thanks id rather not stoop that low

Though maybe 3d modeling would pay abit, unfortunately im stuck with either my moms laptop that has a gt 720 or my x58 pile of junk with a gts 250

Should ask some photographers. Sky's the limit in regards to how high prices can go. Even looking at some of Brandon's and Andy's photos with the Leica Noctilux makes me want one. But that's a ~$10,000 lens.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Reveal hidden contents

Furry pr0n is popular amongst degenerates these days, and it really pays.

690B650E-A585-4BD0-9DE4-B9C2A76F6692.jpeg.094330daeaab08a93fc181286b396c80.jpeg

I keep 1000$ cash in my wallet at all times in case I run into artists in the street.

3 hours ago, Aaralli said:

I kinda get it but moreso in the realm of buying excessive hardware with no upgrade path. I have a super nice thinkpad, it’s a max spec Thinkpad X1 nano, it’s a 2000$ laptop, and I have this alongside a max spec P50 just in case I need a dedicated gpu. There’s this issue with these though where when it comes time to upgrade, I have to buy a whole new high end machine. There is no adding more ram or a bigger drive to the X1 nano, the i7 1180G7 is the best option, the ram is soldered and it’s some special high speed ddr4, the ssd maxes at 1tb because it’s a one sided half size m.2 and they don’t even make 2tb ones yet because memory density like that isn’t at the consumer level.

So when this laptop isn’t enough anymore some years down the line, I’m gonna be looking at another 4 digit purchase. And depending on how fast technology moves that may be a lot sooner than later, as opposed to just a few years ago where you could get away with daily shitposting and YouTube on a core2duo or just any old mobile i5, which I did for the longest time where I was using a machine from 2006 in 2016.

Maybe mobile processors will see us handling 6 or 8 core ULV options, maybe 6000mhz+ DDR5 will come to laptops, maybe integrated graphics will see a huge leap again like they just did, I don’t know, but it’s the downside of buying the best stuff, there’s always the chance it won’t last as long as you expect.

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Should ask some photographers.

I think it depends though, for sure you could spend a lot to get the highest megapixels and burst speed but you still need to take good images.

I am currently upgrading from my 9 year old camera but it still takes images that is good enough for most socials and small prints and Its still nice to capture good images as such why it lasted me so long.

Leica however takes advantage of the fact they are fun to take images with, not the best but decent specs and cost a lot.

They are worth that to photographers who enjoy working with them, because they get more out of them than a workhorse camera that is more value for dollar 

I admit I get caught up in the specs as well, as such its been tough finding a good upgrade.

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

I got a really good deal on an i7-11700 + a decent motherboard for less than $300 or so total. Friend was using it but joined the military, so he sent it to me since he owed me a couple hundred and wasn't going to need it. I spoiled someone else because they needed to build a computer. I gave them my old GTX 980 to borrow until they could get a graphics card.

5 hours ago, Aaralli said:

I don't really understand the logic behind this post. 

You know, you don't HAVE to constantly buy new things. 

If you got a 3950X and a 2070 Super you should not have any need to upgrade for many years to come. When you actually need to upgrade chances are the mid range stuff you can afford will be way better than what you got today. 

You only need to upgrade when your current things are unable to keep up with your demands, and when your budget allows you to upgrade to something better. Having overkill products today does not mean you need to buy overkill products later. 

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Offtopic

Not really.

I wanted nice computers but could not afford them.

I also could not justify having them since I did not really have a use for them.

I found one.

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

but what do you do to make money off your computer? And where the hell are you gonna find the buyers?

I did 3D. 

When I started doing 3D I was a maintenance person. I was doing that job because I was a welder that developed a lung ailment. 

With computers I started with programing first since they had courses at the local university. I was not really suited to it but I got lots of contacts through it so it was worth the time and money.

After programing it was desktop publishing. That did not work out as well but I did learn about printing and that came in handy later on since one of my freelance jobs was feeding several large format printers. 

I also did 3D animation to video for local businesses.  This did not work out either. At the time(1990) it was very expensive to do. It did pay for itself but that was it. 

I made money creating content for video games. I started by modding games, got good and joined an indie company. I made enough money at that to pay for all my computers and go to Las Vegas on long weekends. It lasted for 5 years.

Finding customers is not that hard using the internet and email.

Most companies belong to associations and they usually have directories. I looked for companied that had low employee counts since it indicated that they had no one inhouse. Then I sent a proposal with examples of my work. 

The companies that need 3D the most do custom jobs like remodeling, stores restaurant interiors and one off events.  

I ended up mainly doing jobs for event companies that did trade shows, fashion shows and art shows.

I live in South Florida so these sort of events happen all the time.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

10 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Should ask some photographers. Sky's the limit in regards to how high prices can go. Even looking at some of Brandon's and Andy's photos with the Leica Noctilux makes me want one. But that's a ~$10,000 lens.

I'm a professional photographer and videographer... That's why the 3950X is actually useful to me, because I'm always using Photoshop and premiere pro 24/7

12 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

Products in lower price ranges also get faster over time, the i7 of 5 years ago is the i3 of today. There's always the option to not upgrade until you're able to afford something better than what you already have. I'd argue that's the smarter way to go about it, and without major shifts in the home computing landscape a 3950X should still be a decent CPU in 10 years.

12 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

If i were you i would have just sold them off cause lets be real here that 3950x is basically useless for any gamer and if you dont use 16 cores you are better off selling it and getting an 8 core or however many cores you actually use

The duality of man.

3950x and 2070 super is far superior to my current setup and I still feel like I can run almost anything.

Take good care of what you got!

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

1 minute ago, danomicar said:

The duality of man.

3950x and 2070 super is far superior to my current setup and I still feel like I can run almost anything.

See, I completely understand that feeling. I had a 2600X and RX 580 that I gifted to a friend of mine in need who had no computer at all, and I actually started to use my 3950 and 2070S for photo and video editing. Those programs run blazing fast and without them I would feel like my workflow is less efficient. The duality of man, indeed.

As noted above, I don't think this is a real issue.  Tech is constantly on the march toward improvement.  By the time your existing setup is long enough in the tooth to inspire you to buy a newer one--everything even on the budget end, will probably be a substantial improvement. I mean, what's a Titan X compared to a 3060 anyways?

By the time you are 5 generations removed from "the latest and greatest"--the chances of your existing setup being inferior to the budget end of the new stuff--is practically impossible.  2070 Super today.  4 generations from now, you won't bat an eye about wanting to upgrade to a 7030.

I doubt it'll be an issue

3950x isn't gonna win any single core benchmarks in couple years and you don't really need 16 cores

I went from 3900x to a 3600 for a few months (changed system I used but didn't swap the CPU in the systems), didn't really feel any difference for games really

Only reason I put my 3900x back in recently was because I felt like putting it on the shelf is a waste when I can use it, otherwise it's all fine

I also went from a 3080ti to a 2070super, just because I don't really need the GPU. I can literally pick any Nvidia 30 series GPU I want as a daily driver and I chose a 2070super

While having high end stuffs is fun, if you don't really need it you won't feel anything when you don't have it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately