How do you watch Youtube #shorts?

Spotty

Youtube preferences for #Shorts  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preferred way to watch Youtube

• TV (including chromecast, firestick, casting, etc)
    • Computer, Laptop, or Tablet
    • Mobile phone
  2. 2. Do you like #Shorts videos?

• I like #Shorts (they're comfy and easy to wear)
    • Either #Shorts or traditional videos are fine
    • I dislike #Shorts videos
  3. 3. Do you like to watch #Shorts on devices other than phones?

• Yes
    • No, I only watch #shorts on mobile
    • No, I don't watch #shorts
  4. 4. Do you feel the need to watch ALL videos uploaded by your favourite creators?

• Yes, I watch everything to keep up to date with my favourite creators
    • No, I only watch the ones that seem interesting
  5. 5. Do you like #Shorts videos that are clips taken from full length videos that you've already watched that have been edited down to a short clip cropped to portrait mode?

• Yes / Doesn't matter
    • No, I prefer original #shorts content that was made to be #shorts
    • No, I don't like #shorts

Been seeing a lot of #Shorts content lately, especially from LMG channels. #Shorts don't interest me in the slightest but I was wondering if that's just because I very rarely watch youtube videos on my phone. Normally if I'm watching Youtube it's something I'm playing in the background while I'm at my desktop PC or something I put on my TV. A 30 second clip taken from another video and then hacked down to portrait mode doesn't really interest me. I'm curious if people watching those videos are primarily watching on mobiles or if maybe they just really want to watch all of the videos their favourite content creators release, even if it's just a short clip from another video they've already watched.

A good example would be this #Short video released by Linus Tech Tips today which is a 30 second clip taken from a video released 9 days ago cropped down to fit the portrait aspect ratio required for #Shorts videos.

Thought I'd throw up a couple of questions in a poll to see how out of touch I am. It's no secret that I'm not a fan of #shorts videos on Youtube but maybe I'm just not appreciating their appeal as a non-mobile viewer. For preferred way to watch youtube videos if unsure answer whichever way you think you spend the most time watching.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

When I subscribe to a youtuber I watch most of the normal videos (some exceptions but most, for example not some product reviews or showcase I don't care about), if I don't then I unsubscribe. But I don't watch shorts at all.

That said, I think what people answer here will be more biased against the more hard nerds (more computer, less phone and phone) or what you call it then the general LTT YouTube audience.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

4 minutes ago, Mihle said:

That said, I think what people answer here will be more biased against the more hard nerds (more computer, less phone and phone) or what you call it then the general LTT YouTube audience.

That's fine, it's not meant to be super accurate or anything. I am also more curious if TV/PC viewers are watching #Shorts content so if lots of people say they do watch shorts but are PC/TV viewers then I guess it's not just people on phones watching #shorts.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I wish i can go back a few months to the day that I opened my first youtube shorts and tell myself don't do it

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: XPG D10 White 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storages: 1x512GB Intel 760P M.2 NVME(boot drive)
1x2TB Umax M1500 Gen4 M.2 NVME(Game storage)
1x1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage)
1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM CMR drive
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310
Flight stick: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS 3 pack

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Value: $308
  • Games owned: 229
  • Games played: 163 (71%)
  • Hours on record: 4,976.9h

I cannot answer the 5th question as none of the options represent my standpoint.

A 4th option "I don't mind either" would be what I would have chosen.

NZXT S340 | Ryzen 7 5900X | B550 AORUS PRO V2 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200 | RTX 4070
Nintendo Switch (2x), Nintendo *New* 3DS, PSP-1000, PSP-2000 (Crisis Core Limited Edition)

MacBook Pro 14 (2021), 16GB RAM, 512GB ROM

5 minutes ago, FliP0x said:

I cannot answer the 5th question as none of the options represent my standpoint.

A 4th option "I don't mind either" would be what I would have chosen.

I think that would be "Yes" then. Edited the option to be "Yes / Doesn't matter"

They show up in my feed like any other subscribed video and if it interests me I will watch it.

I'm struggling to understand why someone would have a fundamental objection to them. So far all the ones I've seen are original content. I guess I don't subscribe to any channel that posts clips.

i find shorts to be annoying especially since they are from a video i already watched days earlier. But even then 30 sec videos are just plain annoying anyway no matter the creator or the context

I only watch Shorts vids i'm interested in from channels I like, but I still don't like Shorts because of everything being in vertical smartphone camera mode, and no option to rewind or change volume.

I watch my YouTubes equally on desktop, laptop and mobile devices. 

I avoid shorts. 

If I wanted short, pointless content then I'd be on tiktok.  

16 hours ago, Caroline said:

I don't watch shorts because I can't stand that moronic aspect ratio.

[snip]

Say "no" to vertical video.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

32 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

i find shorts to be annoying especially since they are from a video i already watched days earlier. But even then 30 sec videos are just plain annoying anyway no matter the creator or the context

Kind of feels like having a bucket of information poured on you. Too much too fast

5 hours ago, dilpickle said:

I'm struggling to understand why someone would have a fundamental objection to them.

Because they are TOO short. There are no channels I subscribe to that posts interesting shorts. Its almost always, including LTT shorts, just extremely cut down long videos with no substance. I just generally have no interested in short videos. If a video is under 1 minute, it likely would have been much better to have just been an image with text.

Same with tiktok too. 90% of the tiktok videos friends send me could have just as easily been a photo with text and been much better.
This tweet and photo gives you just as much information about the thing than the short does, and its much easier to consume as content.

4 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Then you need to subscribe to better channels.

such as?

1 hour ago, dilpickle said:

Am I supposed to know what your interests are?

🙄

anyways, thats besides the point. The point is, while some channels may have good dedicates shorts videos, the people who usually make long videos have not been making very good shorts videos, so its just been a waste of space in my subscription box. They have just been condensed forms of long videos, and condensed in a very bad way.

Shorts are just YouTube trying to be tiktok, it's too addictive and I don't like it, traditional videos are still better, but since a lot of my favourite creators like Ray William Johnson and Dan povenmire, are on tiktok I have no choice but to watch their tiktok stuff on shorts, I personally don't like tiktok at all because it's made to psychologically addict you and collects data through your biological traits like your scrolling habits to get you more addicted (and maybe also send em to certain political groups which hate free speech), I'm glad it's banned here in my country, it's the same addictiveness, because of which I hate yt shorts and Instagram reels, it's a lazy corporate attempt to replicate tiktok's success by just trying to be tiktok, with 0 originality.

I have only seen myself watching short YouTube videos (such as vines) that YouTube converted into #shorts.

Only on PC because I don't use YouTube mobile. It sucks

• 1 month later...

Yes please rethink this content strategy, LMG. I understand that you're trying to cater towards the TikTok crowd but #Shorts are terrible. People don't subscribe to Youtube channels to see TikTok junk, in fact it's the opposite. They unsubscribe when their feed is full of this.

Keep up the great content (except #Shorts)!

44 minutes ago, Abe Frohman said:

Yes please rethink this content strategy, LMG. I understand that you're trying to cater towards the TikTok crowd but #Shorts are terrible. People don't subscribe to Youtube channels to see TikTok junk, in fact it's the opposite. They unsubscribe when their feed is full of this.

Keep up the great content (except #Shorts)!

Watch the latest WAN show - regardless of some people not liking them shorts are killing it and they'd be downright irresponsible not to make them. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Im not a fan of shorts as in I am not actively looking for them, but if something interesting pops up I watch it, They really should have scrollbar and volume controls though.

I just wish the Youtube Short page.... would show the shorts from creators I'm subbed to first and foremost instead of random shit like

Spoiler

image.png.bd87d5447de6bea082c3b0a278796fb2.pngimage.png.667b45eb323a90e7cd13636dd6707755.pngimage.png.fa380f2093d337eec99aa92f9c7f7a4b.png

Disliking these videos do nothing, I don't have an option to see less of them either or "Not interested" like Tiktok has. I have never once watched a single of "The Best King" videos and now it's showing me like 4 videos of this garbage in a row.
But at least today the videos are in English. For a while it was showing me vids in Spanish and some other language I have no clue about.
Scrolled down 20 videos, none of them were from creators I subscribe to and then they were shorts from the previous day that I had already skipped over... They don't refresh to show new ones??? Youtube Short's page is quite inferior to Tiktok.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Shorts = "jumping the shark"

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ew5lcrqt4cqpikr5hz

I edit my posts more often than not