We Hooked This up to a PC

AlexTheGreatish

We've had some bad ideas before, but hooking a 2.5HP gas powered pump up to a computer has to be the worst.

Buy an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X: https://geni.us/nMA6el

Buy an Asus RTX 3090 Strix: https://geni.us/LhP1

Buy a kit of Crucial Ballistix Max 4000MHz RAM (2x16GB): https://geni.us/paTipn

Buy watercooling gear from Alphacool: https://lmg.gg/ohwN2

Buy the Connect D1 IO connector from Fractal Design: https://geni.us/B9rlcg

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

up next:

We NUCLEAR cooled This PC! (Gone wrong)

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

22 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

It's definitely the worst.

How old are we that freaking Peanuts is  a dated reference???

An adjustable wrench won't round a nut if one tightens it up before one starts wrenching. (unless one applies a lot of torque, but then a regular wrench also starts to round a nut. (though, if one's adjustable spanner is cheap crap then it will round a nut as well)) Also, the "lot of pressure, but not a lot of flow" isn't surprising, long thin tubes generally makes for a lot of flow resistance.

But interesting to see how the cooling performance increases with flow speed, not all too surprising but interesting to see how much it did to be fair.

Now, mind if I toss a "stupid" idea out into the ether?

Add a chiller (preferably a large one, or a bucket full of dry ice) and fill the loop with methanol.

That was awesome! Here is a link to the Holley Fuel pumps I was mentioning on YT. They flow up to 323GPH at 8psi & 13.8v thru a -10an line

VR1 Data sheet

VR2 Data sheet

Holley Brushless Fuel pumps

By the way, I love that Alex has a dislike for the Adjustable nut rounders! (like myself) The video got my like for that part it's self!!

If you do this and after it is all said and done, you could send the pumps down to me and I can use them on my project vehicle! LoL

1 hour ago, SignatureSigner said:

up next:

We NUCLEAR cooled This PC! (Gone wrong)

Unfortunately, due to legal issues, we had to do it on the moon... Or so they thought.

This has the makings of an AvE or Project Farm crossover!

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, swimtome said:

How old are we that freaking Peanuts is  a dated reference???

Apparently dated...

So you guys glossed over the results.  What was the rig you were running?  Did it actually improve things?  What were the thresholds for diminishing returns?  How did the 2 horse power water pump compare to the X horse power blowers that you used a while ago?

Kind of disingenuous using a 40 gallon bucket of chilled water - heck you could have bought that much distilled bottled water from a couple of stores and not had to deal with cleaning/filtering.

It's not so much the flow rate that's lowering the temps here but the sheer volume of water - the more coolant you have by volume the harder it is to heat it up. Put it another way, it will soak up your systems heat and carry it away more efficiently. I have a full gallon circulating inside my loop cooling five blocks using chunky 80mm thick rads in push/pull. My res isn't a particularly big one since I had to cram it inside a 200mm space, but had I gone external with a longer 400mm one I could have gotten even more coolant. Same can be done with a split loop using two large external reservoirs - if the room temperature is set at a cool 19C your deltas will be well under 25C as well. I often sit in a 30C room (32C right now actually) and I can still run my rig at full tilt (54C on the CPU and 55C on my GPU's). In my case (no pun intended) it's the WATER TEMP that is the primary measurement which always stays below the rated pump max at 60C. Right now that water temp is 48C resulting in just a 16C delta over ambient - that's the hallmark of a well designed and well cooled system.

Dual pumps are another trick that you can employ and connecting them in series can increase head pressure - ideal for very tall builds with many bends/blocks in them, thinner diameter fittings/tubing and situations where a single D5 may be overwhelmed. My build is not excessively tall, I'm using the largest diameter tubing (7/16), only a single 90 degree fitting and I only have a single cooling chamber (pedestal) at the base, not top and bottom. The 2nd pump also works as a fail safe should one pump not get power or the bearings fail and quit working. For a parallel connection to increase flow rate you would use separate dual loops instead. It's not impossible to build a system with as many as FOUR separate loops each going to a large external reservoir, 8 pumps for redundancy, and probably more like 2 to 3 gallons of total coolant.

Finally. this is also a great reminder why you should never push those pathetic budget AIO coolers - much weaker pumps with lower flow rates and lower temperature limits. That last part is what kills them prematurely because the volume of coolant they have to work with is very minimal. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual liquid temps inside an AIO exceed 60C. It may not die immediately, but it WILL die sooner than you think.

Here's a great video idea for Alex - attach a water temp sensor to some AIO coolers and see just how hot they get. I can guarantee some of them will be going beyond their pump temperature limit.

5 hours ago, LinusTech said:

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

6 hours ago, LinusTech said:

This is something i would have done at the hut i have in the mountains.. Im glad you guys test this out before i try with my own diesel generator..

Love the big yellow texts too!

holy.thumb.PNG.9f19effec20f69632dca91a982cac40b.PNG

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

The *only* time I've exploded something watercooling is when I put 3 D5 pumps in series in my loop.  It blew the tube off the barb even with a plastic hose clamp on it.  You've never seen me dive faster for the power switch as it's water-fountaning into my side panel.

(actually I lied, the other time I exploded something was when I was using compressed air to drain my loop and forgot to open the other end of the loop.  The o-ring on my reservoir fortunately blew out instead of the whole thing grenading)...it's still a valid strategy that not many people know about though for draining a complex  loop quick.

EDIT EDIT: Actually I remembered the 3rd time.  I sealed up a loop that I intentionally took up to 70C water temperature.  Water expands slightly when it's hot and I had gallons of volume so it ended up ballooning out the end of a radiator like hydroforming.  From that I learned I need an entire reservoir worth of air as a buffer for the expansion, cause air is compressible and water isn't.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Reducing the pipe sizes that much is absurd. The water will be so turbulent that you would be well past diminishing returns.

What I mean is the resistance the pump experiences is a function of bends and uneven changes in the line, along with friction of water against the 'rough' pipes. 

This is however much greater when the water is turbulent, hence why the small D5 pump was doing well, the flow was less turbulent as such there was less resistance to allow good flow.

A much nicer approach maybe for a next video is using an electric pump (quiet and also you could do it indoors) also custom bigger tubes with custom cpu/gpu blocks plates would be so much better

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

Overkill much? This is what you would use for a project such as 'Whole Office Building Cooling' Save for the fact that you probably don't want to buy gas that often.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

The original pump in the loop made me wonder, whether you could use it to generate electricity and power the computer. I guess the water cooling pumps are not sized for that.
But it should be feasible to only provide pressurized water (or oil) to a computer, generate the electricity to power the PC, and use the fluid for cooling.

14 hours ago, LinusTech said:

It's not disingenuous at all. We used the same chilled water at low and high pump speeds.

So repeat the test using ambient/room temperature water - the pump speed will have even less effect. A D5 running at 80% (#4 on the pot) will do 317 gal/hr or a little over 5 gallons per minute. That will circulate the entire 1 gallon coolant volume in my rig every 12 seconds, and typically well under that on the average (smaller) build. Your ghetto setup assuming that is a 40 gallon bucket would take an entire minute to circulate through. Not only does the water temperature take longer to equalize but it becomes impossible to measure a water temperature difference based on the heat load. Again you're using chilled water to remove the heat rather than allowing the components to push the water temperature above ambient - pump speed becomes irrelevant. And assuming that really was chilled water you then introduce condensation issues... but I don't care at this point. You do whatever you need to for those $$$ YouTube views.

I need a link to the POWER FIST 👊

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

43 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

From what I understand, it's from the Canadian version of Harbor Freight Tools.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/1-in-gas-water-pump/product/PA0008523961

I was getting Harbor Freight vibes off the packaging. 

POWER FIST 👊 makes some amazing things 

image.png.dd72399b8ae1ec310f8e2485c612f6c8.png