Linus complaining about game skins is ironic considering he used to be a house painter

poochyena

Buying a cosmetic skin in a game for your character is no different than paying to have your house painted. You are paying real money for nothing more but to just change the cosmetics of your surroundings. The used paint is worth exactly as much money as a cosmetic skin, $0. Change my mind.

You can use paint to eliminate mold on walls and to regulate temperature inside your house. Buying a skin literally has no other purpose than looks. Shit comparison.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

House painting was never free

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

24 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Buying a cosmetic skin in a game for your character is no different than paying to have your house painted.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

When you pay for a game,you expect to get everything that comes with it.

But asking you to pay more money for something that is already implemented in the game that you paid for is just a money milking scheme.

Using your analogy how would you feel if every item in video games would cost real money?

It takes labor and time to make them,isn't it?

Are you going to justify Dead or Alive 6 business scheme as well?

In Dead or Alive 6 every little thing in the game is a DLC,even if you buy the game you will still need to pay more than $2000 to get the full experience.

This is just a half of the full list of DOA 6 DLCs:

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Linus complained about people spending money so their toys to look pretty or different?

That can't be right.

23 minutes ago, poochyena said:

The used paint is worth exactly as much money as a cosmetic skin, $0. Change my mind.

A house that needs to be painted is worth less than a house that has been painted. Simple as that, really.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

23 minutes ago, Levent said:

You can use paint to eliminate mold on walls and to regulate temperature inside your house. Buying a skin literally has no other purpose than looks. Shit comparison.

Nope.

To remove mold you must remove the drywall (internal walls) or take a saw to the wood and cut it off. If you paint over mold, you're just spreading it, and you'll be re-painting it every year as the mold bubbles it up and rots things underneath.

An apt comparison is actually wallpaper. You know, the thing the desktop wallpaper was named after. Wallpaper is literately glued to the wall, and can be removed with steaming it off, or just ripping it off. But you must then must sand off the glue and paint over it. Straight paint to paint can't be done unless the underlying color was originally white. But wallpaper can be glued to any existing painted or unpainted surface.

But an even more accurate comparison is that buying a game skin is is buying a face-mask at the door of a bar/club/rave/etc so that nobody knows who you are, and when you leave you are required to return it.

8 minutes ago, Kisai said:

To remove mold you must remove the drywall (internal walls) or take a saw to the wood and cut it off.

In Europe there is no drywall,it's bricks,concrete and metal bars (It may be different in the UK).

There is no wood at all.

So i guess that dry walls are mainly used in North America and the UK

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

11 minutes ago, Vishera said:

In Europe there is no drywall,it's bricks,concrete and metal bars (It may be different in the UK).

There is no wood at all.

So i guess that dry walls are mainly in North America and the UK

Drywall is basically two sheets of cardboard with plaster inside sandwich. The cardboard easily molds when wet.

You wouldn't paint brick or concrete, and both of those will mold if they aren't made of toxic material (eg fly ash, which is what cinder blocks are.) Concrete and rebar will mold and rust. Unlike wood and drywall however, you can usually grind down the surface of concrete if it gets moldy. But you would never paint it. The moisture in the concrete will ensure that paint lasts at most a few months, and then you'll be left with a dull flaked remains.

For completeness sake.

Depending on what year a house was built in Metro Vancouver:

60's: Stucco

70's: Vinyl (fake-wood) siding on wood

80's: Wood paneling on Wood (Plywood)

Most everything built after the 90's tends to either be Wood-frame construction with a concrete basement, or wood-frame upon a concrete slab. But in Vancouver no homes have been built upon a slab since the 60's.

You can paint wood or Vinyl, but you have to repaint it every 10 years.

14 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Nope.

To remove mold you must remove the drywall (internal walls) or take a saw to the wood and cut it off. If you paint over mold, you're just spreading it, and you'll be re-painting it every year as the mold bubbles it up and rots things underneath.

To combat mold is what I meant, you can use a special paint to not allow mold to grow on the walls once wall is clean.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

You can't get banned from your own house, losing everything you have poured into it. House can burn down, or get massive damage from other sources. But thats what insurance is for, covering the costs of repairs. I'd like to see insurance that covers your lost online game account.

Your argument that that used paint is worth $0 is not quite accurate. For another person wanting to paint their house value of paint used elsewhere is $0. Value of house that has been painted is higher than house with bad paintjob. If you can sell skins with more value than what you paid for, then they are equal.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

The used paint is worth exactly as much money as a cosmetic skin, $0.

Good luck telling the paint store that. If anything they're both worth X $ as the paint took time, effort and materials to make and the skin took time and effort of an artist to make. Skins or characters used to be little rewards that were unlocked through certain achievements or whatever. Re-painting your house was never a gift for having worked 1000 hours or something. Or we were simply spoiled by past games giving us this content free of charge, but these things are hardly equal.

People are really starting to grasp at straws here. Don't you all think this pretend-critising of every word the man utters is becoming old?

17 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Drywall is basically two sheets of cardboard with plaster inside sandwich. The cardboard easily molds when wet.

You wouldn't paint brick or concrete, and both of those will mold if they aren't made of toxic material (eg fly ash, which is what cinder blocks are.) Concrete and rebar will mold and rust. Unlike wood and drywall however, you can usually grind down the surface of concrete if it gets moldy. But you would never paint it. The moisture in the concrete will ensure that paint lasts at most a few months, and then you'll be left with a dull flaked remains.

You can paint them just fine with the proper prep and wall paint. Dry wall is becoming more popular here, but most houses here (also Europe) are still nice firm brick or concrete walls that you either paint or put wallpaper on, perhaps with a thin layer of plaster-like stuff beforehand if you want to even it out. A proper paint job can/will prevent moisture from entering and thus mold and rusting of rebar as well. Normal humidity and outside moisture/weather is taken care of by means of a cavity wall.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 minute ago, Bad5ector said:

Clearly someone has never been on the receiving end of a civil forfeiture 😉 😛

Still not same thing. You can argue there, you rarely can with game accounts. Once banned, always banned.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

Still not same thing. You can argue there, you rarely can with game accounts. Once banned, always banned.

Oh yeah? Sounds like someone still hasn't been on the receiving end of a civil forfeiture 😛 

For the record I am being facetious. But also to play devils advocate for a second, just as many folks could argue a civil forfeiture as say someone getting banned from a game... and in the end it is still up to a third party to hear your case and act on it.

But again, I'm just being a smartass.

7 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Oh yeah? Sounds like someone still hasn't been on the receiving end of a civil forfeiture 😛 

For the record I am being facetious. But also to play devils advocate for a second, just as many folks could argue a civil forfeiture as say someone getting banned from a game... and in the end it is still up to a third party to hear your case and act on it.

But again, I'm just being a smartass.

I'm guessing we did read different wiki articles. With game accounts, its you against game dev. You can make your case, but there's no neutral 3rd party to make final decision. Once banned, you will lose everything you had on the account. Same goes if account gets stolen, scammed or game shuts down. Having physical thing, like house with your choice of decoration, you have 3rd party to always making final decisions. Be it judge for legal matters, insurance company or courts in physical damage, or another person who might be interested of buying the house and valuing your decoration decisions as part of it.

Still different.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I'm guessing we did read different wiki articles.

I didn't read any article tbh, just posted for reference. I just remember watching a piece on how messed up civil forfeitures can be for those on the receiving end. And my point being is that in both cases, you have something you paid for... and for some arbitrary reason it can be taken away. Physical or metaphysical. 

So I was joking about you saying you can't "get banned" from your house. And I was merely saying that in fact, yes you can. AS A JOKE.

1 minute ago, Bad5ector said:

I didn't read any article tbh, just posted for reference. I just remember watching a piece on how messed up civil forfeitures can be for those on the receiving end. And my point being is that in both cases, you have something you paid for... and for some arbitrary reason it can be taken away. Physical or metaphysical. 

So I was joking about you saying you can't "get banned" from your house. And I was merely saying that in fact, yes you can. AS A JOKE.

Apparently you don't understand how jokes work either. You posted about getting kicked out with temp ban. Thats losing access temporarily, with ability to regain control at later time. Banning is losing access permanently. Only time that would happen if property would be sold to cover something you can't otherwise cover. So no, still not same thing, still not funny = still not joke.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I’ll spend my money on whatever virtual nonsense I please

990DA0AB-DAB4-471F-A239-9ADF9830CDEF.thumb.jpeg.cbd8cdd62b7abf5823631c595aa0237b.jpeg

it’s up to the consumer to decide what value this physically nonexistent products have to them, and to educate themselves on how and why these items exist 

1 hour ago, Levent said:

You can use paint to eliminate mold on walls and to regulate temperature inside your house.

You "can", but many times people are painting purely for aesthetics, no?

1 hour ago, Roswell said:

A house that needs to be painted is worth less than a house that has been painted. Simple as that, really.

again, only sometimes. I personally have perfectly good painted walls i my room, but wanted them painted a different color. Many people paint walls a different color simply for the looks of it when moving into a new house.

26 minutes ago, tikker said:

Good luck telling the paint store that.

I said "used" paint. A paint store doesn't want your paint you applied to a wall.

37 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

You can't get banned from your own house, losing everything you have poured into it. House can burn down, or get massive damage from other sources. But thats what insurance is for, covering the costs of repairs. I'd like to see insurance that covers your lost online game account.

Sure, thats fair, but either way, its a relatively small investment in most cases.

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Only time that would happen if property would be sold to cover something you can't otherwise cover.

If you have a wife living at home and she works and pays bills and is legit, but you are out selling drugs for a living and it comes back that you spent money on your house from those proceeds of crime... there is no "covering it"... you are out on your ass. Not a temp ban. Think Skylar in Breaking Bad.

7 minutes ago, poochyena said:

I said "used" paint. A paint store doesn't want your paint you applied to a wall.

Unless you meant something different than you wrote, you said "the used paint"

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

<snip> paying to have your house painted. <snip> The used paint is worth exactly as much money as a cosmetic skin, $0.

This reads as "the paint that was utilised", which still is worth more than 0$ because at some point it had to be paid for. The people you pay to paint your house don't get or offer the paint for free.

If you mean to argue the "it's worth what people want to pay for it" point then sure, but in that case still neither is worth $0.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Paint has value, as it’s physical. It requires work to apply

A skin is digital, and it already exists in its final state, and requires no work to apply

used paint is still physical, it’s still stuff

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Sure, thats fair, but either way, its a relatively small investment in most cases.

If you keep it that way. But for me spending more than $60 in  any game is too much. So once you invest same amount to single game that you would to paint your house (like over $2000), we would enter territory where you are essentially donating money with something fancy like "thank you" -card as return.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, tikker said:

Unless you meant something different than you wrote, you said "the used paint"

This reads as "the paint that was utilised", which still is worth more than 0$ because at some point it had to be paid for. The people you pay to paint your house don't get or offer the paint for free.

What I mean is its a wealth sink. Spend $20 on paint for a wall to simply paint the wall a different color, well, your wall is worth the same, you have no useable paint anymore, and no longer have $20. Its only a positive wealth increase if the wall was damaged and needed paint, in which it can increase your net wealth overall.