Gabe Newell reportedly hand delivering Steam Decks around the Bellevue, WA area

techied

Summary

Multiple users of the Steam Deck subreddit have reported sightings of Gabe Newell, director of Valve. The posts include security camera photos of the glorious GabeN decked out in Deck branded apparel.

Quotes

Got a spammy looking email yesterday saying that a shipment of Steam Deck arrived a few days early and mine can be delivered tomorrow if someone is home to sign for it. I was honestly skeptical and didn't want to get my hopes up too much. 

Fast forward to today.. I told my wife to watch for deliveries while I went on a full day ski trip with friends. The "delivery guy" comes and wife opens the door. He asks "Is Mike (not real name) home?" She says "no but you can leave the package with me..... and what's with the camera crew?" Little did she know that the "delivery guy" was Gabe Newell 🤯🤯

Gabe was a super cool and down to earth guy though. He said to email him if she has any feedback (to which my wife replied "OK, but what's your name again?) 😂

Anyway, excuse me while I go bang my head against a wall for missing this whole experience

My thoughts

This post, as well as several other comments stating that Gabe Newell showed up to their house means Gabe has decided to hand deliver a few Steam Decks from the launch this Saturday. Alongside the camera crew, it looks like Valve is looking to create a "first delivery" highlight reaction reel of sorts. 

Sources

spacer.png

waiting to see "come to brazil" comment here.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

as much as i do love this idea but unless we get confirmation from valve or gabe himself that he's doing this, it's not real.

always remember to take your tech news with a grain of salt.

(also it's from reddit, they aren't really a reputable source ya know...)

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Wow, a chubby guy with a beard and glasses, he can only be Gabe Newell!

Also the image contradicts the story about there being a camera crew.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Haha! Amazing, can you imagine?

That is so cool, Gabe you're amazing. Such a cool guy.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

This must be fake news. If Gabe ever delivers a Steam Deck personally, he would park his sled on the roof and climb down the chimney. 😅

6 hours ago, Sauron said:

Also the image contradicts the story about there being a camera crew.

I would imagine before they start filming somebody has to ask if it's ok. You can't just bomb-rush a house with a camera crew. 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, HenrySalayne said:

I would imagine before they start filming somebody has to ask if it's ok. You can't just bomb-rush a house with a camera crew. 🤷‍♀️

you can come with the cameras off, or simply delete the footage if permission isn't given

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 hours ago, adarw said:

na you got it wrong, theres 1 billion Indians, i bet its an Indian who says it first...

But how do they participate in ROG Rig Reboot? We may never know...

11 hours ago, Levent said:

waiting to see "come to brazil" comment here.

come to India pls.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

you can come with the cameras off, or simply delete the footage if permission isn't given

Sure, from a legal perspective this might be fine.

From a "how can we do this without being dicks and scare or annoy our costumers" perspective, they might have chosen another path.

I mean, for all we know this could be just fake news or it could have actually happened. But to completely deny the possibility of this being real because there is no camera crew on a tilted and blurry door camera picture, is a little bit far fetched.

I wouldn't really know what to say in that situation. Do you invite them in? Do you thank them for the Portal games? Do you detain them until HL3 comes out?

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

1 hour ago, HenrySalayne said:

Sure, from a legal perspective this might be fine.

From a "how can we do this without being dicks and scare or annoy our costumers" perspective, they might have chosen another path.

I mean, for all we know this could be just fake news or it could have actually happened. But to completely deny the possibility of this being real because there is no camera crew on a tilted and blurry door camera picture, is a little bit far fetched.

Well if it were to be true, you would have cameras filming before even approaching the house.  It would be legal (at least in most places), as outside your house you has less of a right to privacy.  [I mean after the fact they would get right to use it, but leading up to it they can film without issue...pretty much until they are told to get off the property]

From the business/customer side of things, people who pre-ordered a steam deck are likely to know who Gabe Newell is, and it would be highly unlikely that it would create any negativity towards them for having him with a film crew delivering the packages.  It helps with the publicity/advertising and then in likely most cases they also get a signed consent for to be used in promotional advertising.  [Local sports team here did a similar thing a while back, sent the owner along with a star player to deliver season tickets to a select few people, made the news and drummed up a bit of support from the season ticket holders]

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Valve has confirmed via a tweet on the OnDeck twitter account: 

1 hour ago, techied said:

Valve has confirmed via a tweet on the OnDeck twitter account

lol, the 1:53 moment (the one from the reddit post).  I sort of wish they had a longer portion of that interaction.

Good on them though, at least publicly saying they try to care about peoples opinion (whether or not it's true) at least is something.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef