Monitor With the Aspect Ratio of a Rearview Mirror

GhostRoadieBL

Summary

The world of kickstarter electronics is a bit strange at times, this is no different. Lukos is a portable monitor with a 32:9 display intended for use with desktop PCs, laptops, phones, and the Switch?

258445640_Capture2.JPG.066549c7a08ae053a8cdb7cea197d69f.JPG

with a 3840x1100 resolution, 2ms response 60hz IPS panel which is claimed to achieve 100% of the sRGB colour gamut, it's definitely a unique choice in the monitor scene. The site claims the display can handle 4x 4k inputs at once through the 2x DP1.4, 1x DP 1.2, 2x HDMI 2.0B, 1x HDMI 1.4 and a type C usb connection. That's a ton of inputs for such a small display, along with the 12v DC barrel plug and headphone jack.

There's even a fan switch to turn on and off a cooling fan (probably to cool all those 4k feeds down-scaling to 550p)

466321437_Capture5.JPG.a807396193a9e6c48e910bc803317188.JPG  1809443358_Capture4.JPG.cce6ead56a096ca890dafeec957ca5dd.JPG

Quotes

Lukos is an advanced monitor for entertainment and productivity with a 4K HD display that utilizes an ultra-wide field of view to achieve the immersive gaming experience that normal screens cannot.  

Lukos is powered by an ultra-high bandwidth processor that can display four 4K split-screen signals simultaneously.

2006347398_Capture3.JPG.ecb8193b6951e8f5fc7de22b65ce0005.JPG  Capture.JPG.5df8ec82cce6c9af95dcc3af390c4a09.JPG

My thoughts

that last image (from their own kickstarter) doesn't put this in the best light. The rest are clearly photoshopped and the company doesn't seem to want to show how they are getting a Switch or PS5 to output a 32:9 signal. This is going to be one of those Kickfarted style products which promises more than it can produce, if it even produces anything.

I'd avoid this one due to the massive red flags;

- $2000 funding goal

- specs on the kickstarter don't match the rest of the page

- uses a remote control instead of on device buttons

- a "fan switch" for cooling

- carbon fiber look but not price

- 12v DC input when it has USB-C

Sources

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lukos/lukos-a-portable-32-9-ultrawide-4k-monitor

https://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/monitors/joao-silva/compact-14-inch-super-ultrawide-portable-monitor-hits-kickstarter-goal/

https://liliputing.com/2022/02/lukos-is-a-portable-4k-monitor-with-a-329-aspect-ratio-and-a-lot-of-inputs-crowdfunding.html

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

The only application i could see for this from the top of my head would be something like a TV studio where you have to look at multiple feeds. what else would this be for ?

Productivity ? sure but do i need 6 Video inputs for that ? no. Gaming ? on a tiny display with that aspect ratio ? hell no.

i could see this used for monitoring systems/etc

i'd use it if it was like 100 dollars have all hwinfo stats up along with maybe chats but I use 2 over 3 so thats already achieved

I'm not gonna say it's a stupid idea. Clearly there are people interested in it. But I will say it's a stupid idea to back this particular offering. Too much conflicting information both on the campaign text as well as the replies to questions. Never mind the laughably low funding goal. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

You forgot the whole deal of what is and what isn't it's resolution (originally 3840x1100 "the unauthorized beta versio", after someone mentioned you can get it from certain platform half the price already it changed to 3840x2160 and holy s**t what kind of pixels must that thing have with that resolution to that aspect ratio), what is the power supply delivered with it (one says 110-220V  another says it's only 220V) and that people must change pledges to change certain additional gear.

Either Kickfarted or bad case of "Mi boss inglish no guud, wi mast tsek the item from storake when wi ket som".

14 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Literally who asked for this

Anyone that likes the ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo but doesn't want to spend the money on an entirely new device.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

yea nah this thing isn't even real, there isn't any 32:9 display panel's in this size from what i can tell.

also the photoshop's are INCREDIBLY bad and why in the name of steve 'tech jesus' burke DO YOU USE IMAGES FROM STARWARS LAST JEDI, MODDED GTA4 AND FUCKING FOZA HORIZEN.

do these guys WANT microshit, mr mouse and washed up rockstar for fuckin sue them?

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

I really can't see this working for games, but it'll probably be a good fit for certain kinds of productivity and multitasking.

Heummm you can find those panels, IPS, on AliExpress. They are cheap. Also comes with inputs and casing

Here is one:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005003300422079.html

Here is a higher resolution one with touch:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005003332731770.html

That was only from a quick search... I am sure you can find cheaper and/or different sizes

21 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Heummm you can find those panels, IPS, on AliExpress. They are cheap. Also comes with inputs and casing

Here is one:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005003300422079.html

Here is a higher resolution one with touch:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005003332731770.html

That was only from a quick search... I am sure you can find cheaper and/or different sizes

The higher resolution one is actually really cool. It has the same length as the hight of a 27" monitor. Would be really easy to attache one there and use it for chats or system monitoring or something. Just sucks that 230€ isn't exactly cheap, considering that's more than what a decent 27" monitor costs.

17 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

The higher resolution one is actually really cool. It has the same length as the hight of a 27" monitor. Would be really easy to attache one there and use it for chats or system monitoring or something. Just sucks that 230€ isn't exactly cheap, considering that's more than what a decent 27" monitor costs.

True. But if you are really interested, maybe you can find cheaper... I just picked the first result from the search I did. Usually, on AliExpress, you'll find multiple times the same product at different prices from different sellers

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Maybe you can find cheaper... I just picked the first result from the search I did

I'm cheap with things that are nice to have.
If it's a "must have" I'll pay anything. If It's a "nice to have" I want it for free 😛

If it was a touch screen and you could use it for your tool bars for programs like DAW's, photoshop and editing etc.  Then I could see it having a place.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 2/2/2022 at 12:21 PM, Mel0nMan said:

Literally who asked for this

On 2/2/2022 at 12:36 PM, rcmaehl said:

Anyone that likes the ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo but doesn't want to spend the money on an entirely new device.

I'm pretty sure that is where this display is from: It seems like it is using the same panel as the duo's secondary screen. Same size, aspect ratio (31.41818/9 to be exact), refresh rate, advertised response time, and resolution. That said, you can buy kits with these duo panels and a controller board for about $80 a piece (Or both separately for about the same). In fact, most of those kits use 12V DC input from a power brick as power input, so they might essentially be selling those with a not-so-fancy enclosure.

10 hours ago, NicoV said:

I'm pretty sure that is where this display is from: It seems like it is using the same panel as the duo's secondary screen. Same size, aspect ratio (31.41818/9 to be exact

thats the thing, the screens on ali express all seem to be a different ratio, usually 21:9. so that seems likely … but isnt that literally a scam, wouldnt asus have a say in this ?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity