Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel

might also get a Samsung UD590 28" 4k monitor for $200

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Just finished Overlord, dammit I need more! 

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

oh you

you need to learn where to draw the lines when you make them jokes that you make

FdVB7Gm.jpg?1\

@Daegun why do you have to rename?

I just yolo'd everything in there and told Plex where the goods were 98% of things lined up

Spoiler

n7Og0V5.jpg

Also, protip for your renaming, Click the first item, then CTRL+A then press F2. Name it, and everything else will auto-rename in sequence.

Oh, really? And thank you :D

Though it looks like it will be a while longer. Exploring the mysteries of Freenas. And by that, I mean trying to get the damn plugins list to load.

Edit: Would you look at that. Turning it off and then on again actually worked.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

i'm so amazed at the deals i can get, this is one of the deals, i could get this for $650 PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($379.99 @ NCIX US) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3 EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($479.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1089.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-29 23:37 EDT-0400
Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Actually, I'm... (13). decent.

This episode was pretty amusing, but ultimately it was just your typical harem-anime ending that doesn't resolve anything, so it's nothing special. I really just wish they were more creative with the ideas, though they did at least demonstrate the sharp misunderstanding-based humor that's this series' strongest suit. In fact, Shiragami's dad turned out to be one of the better characters in the series, despite having so little screen-time. All this is to say that I found the ending inadequate as an ending, but since it did nothing to discourage me from reading the manga, so it did its job in that respect (where many anime endings fail). And really, this was just a few more clever or big laughs away from being a genuinely good finale, so I'll just call it good enough and read the manga.

Durarara x2 Ten (12). disappointing.

Really, that's their plot? Two hipster kids starting gang wars over literally nothing, while the adults just stand aside for no reason? And of course the characters who could stop things are conveniently put out of commission so the war can take place, and we're given no solid hints as to who or why this is all taking place, despite having had two bloody seasons to set this stuff up in a satisfying way? No. Just no. No more of these endless pointless diversions, only to be disappointed in what they were distracting me from. I just don't care about any of this, especially with whatever convoluted new villain you've come up with after all those fake villains so far. I might have cared if the script here was competent enough to give me time to care about something, or if there were clues to invest me in which plot twist would happen, but nothing truly compelling has happened in two cours of x2 now. Forget this, I'll just rewatch Blast of Tempest if I want to see hipsters fighting over a girl with ridiculous stuff going on around them. At least that got to the point in 24 episodes.

Tonari no Kanata manga (c1). decent.

This was a cute (albeit darkly so) little one-shot about a girl reminiscing about the boy she once knew who could see the future. I enjoyed it for sticking to a proper tone and paying off well, since a lot of one-shots don't really feel "real" enough for that kind of payoff to feel earned. This time, it worked quite nicely. Also the art was rather pleasant, if a bit overly washed-out (maybe that was just the scan I had to work with, though).

Letter Bee manga (c87). so-so.

Again the translations here are so clumsy that I struggle to get into what's going on, and it doesn't help that the scenario is really pretty basic and cliched. But despite that, Letter Bee is trying to do something interesting with Lag's "time skip", at least from the perspective of personality changes. The series has played with this before with another central character, so it seems like they're maybe trying to bookend things a bit while also using it to provide some answers for closure. It will at least be interesting enough to bear if they manage that much, because all of the stuff about fighting Gaichu and Reverse and such has gotten pretty darn boring to me.

Yotsuba& manga (c89). decent.

Apparently in Yotsuba's Japan they think clean dishes are dirty. Either that or Azuma-sensei thought we'd take offense at seeing dirty dishes... or just got lazy. And honestly this chapter did feel quite lazy, though it made up for it by being absolutely adorable (as usual). Hopefully when the new volume comes out in November we'll get another fun arc.

Giant Killing manga (c188). good.

The comparisons between teams and coaches continue and become the focus this time, instead of the messy and uncertain gameplay of this match-up. People are considering the expectations on everyone else and themselves, and the game in general. Nicer still, it's not just the coaches or journalists doing the exposition and introspection, but also a couple of characters who get little attention, including the benched players. Little details seem to always come back later in this manga, and given how Midorikawa is watching the game, things could get interesting. As an aside, I'm pretty impressed with how the mangaka manages to make it clear who is who, even in a room full of people, just with a trademark facial expression or hairstyle. It's hard to avoid "sameface" when you have realistic character designs, at least without falling into overly cartoony exaggerations that could undermine things.

Actually, I'm... manga (v1-3). good.

So far I'm not feeling the argument that the manga is substantially better than the anime. Aside from simplifying the art style for the sake of animation, they basically just combined cherry-picked chapters to make a decent little short anime out of it (what Dandelion should have done to smooth over its own faults). In other words, there is more stuff in the manga that's gold, but the anime's fine. That's good news, because it means the manga's at least as good as the anime, and well worth the read so far. The scanlation's a bit spotty, but no one else seems to have noticed so I doubt it matters. All I can say is that I'm happy to have more of this dumb little series, whether it's in anime or manga form.

@BashZeStampeedo

You recommend good anime. I think I chose a good one particularly to start with. I see all the twists coming, but I love it anyway.

21639756698_00bb116f57_b.jpg

That image gets better. So much better. Here it is uncropped:
21639640070_ecbb20ec33_h.jpg

Sorry it's so big. Mah 3440x1440 monitor is to blame. Can't be bothered to make the window 1:1 with the actual resolution of the video. 

That is great reaction image material imo. 

I love how I first chose to watch an anime (from your suggestions) that would make a good JRPG. Like, seriously. This feels like it could be a JRPG just fine. Story is perfect for that. Not sure how the combat system would work, but not the point. 

I'm on episode 12 now.

TL;WR regarding my impressions: It keeps doing what it's doing and doing it well. All the usual stereotypes, twists, and cues you could expect are present. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I've been trying to finish Love, Elections and Chocolate for years now. So damn boring and stupid that even a single episode is a chore to get through.

based xkdc word filter does it again

i5NEHgV.png

Error: 410

You recommend good anime. I think I chose a good one particularly to start with. I see all the twists coming, but I love it anyway.

Yeah, it sounds like you picked what you were in the mood for, which is good. To be fair, I gave you quite a bit choices to go with :D

Hard to completely dislike an anime that has such a diverse cast. Especially if has a Folken AND a Dilandau.

based xkdc word filter does it again

A more accurate would title would probably be: "Boredom, More Boredom, and Random Harem Anime Shit"

Alright, Freenas is up and running! Now all I have to do is install Plex and rename all 3500+ episodes of anime I have. Hooray...

@Daegun why do you have to rename?

Also, protip for your renaming, Click the first item, then CTRL+A then press F2. Name it, and everything else will auto-rename in sequence.

That reminds me. I need to put Plex on my Debian server with ZFS. Would be nice.

Ya know... @Daegun, Plex has a page for that: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/categories/200028098-Media-Preparation

Also: Bulk Rename Utility will save you hours of time (compared to doing it manually).

If you follow Plex's media preparation thing, I don't think hitting F2 will allow the complexity that'd need helping. Bulk Rename Utility is uber powerful. 

And regarding the F2 thing. Do you mean in Windows Explorer? Plex? FreeNAS? Come on. Please specify. :P

Oh, really? And thank you :D

Though it looks like it will be a while longer. Exploring the mysteries of Freenas. And by that, I mean trying to get the damn plugins list to load.

Ah, yeah. That bug. I had that issue a lot. Like, it was the single most time consuming issue I had to troubleshoot. I don't remember what causes it. Sorry. :/

I highly recommend this (Don't ask questions, just google and find someone else who already asked about it): https://forums.freenas.org/index.php

Something something restart the server first after installing a plugin. Always. Never just load the plugin menu.

Yeah, it sounds like you picked what you were in the mood for, which is good. To be fair, I gave you quite a bit choices to go with :D

Hard to completely dislike an anime that has such a diverse cast. Especially if has a Folken AND a Dilandau.

Yes. The old Itachi + Deidara combo (I realize that's a fairly new anime example for a fairly old concept, but it's who came to mind at the time). Cool collected man with a plan with an insane underling. Always fun.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

you wouldn't want this on your desktop?

coub-Anime-Coub-Anime-lux-aeterna-135904

The sabers also react to being thrown and dragged and twirled around rapidly

God dammit @Daegun I'm going to look like a fool if someone walks in and I tell them I was sitting here playing on my desktop.

No! Don't feel ashamed of it! Embrace it! Smile and enjoy your newfound... Entertainment.

EMRACE THE DESKTOP SABER!

oh you

you need to learn where to draw the lines when you make them jokes that you make

No really.

Cpu:

Intel i5 4460 Motherboard:Msi Z97S Sli krait Ram:HyperX Fury White (2x4) Storage:Seagate 1tb/Samsung 850 Evo 120gb Gpu:Gtx 960 2gb sc Case:S340 Black Psu:Corsair Rm 650w 80+ Gold certified

My anime list : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KRImSIN

Also: Bulk Rename Utility will save you hours of time (compared to doing it manually).

No kidding. Any file explorer without a proper bulk-renaming tool is like notepad compared to a proper editor... just junk to me.

I hit F2 in Xfce's file manager, and it even lets me do regular expression search-and-replace, along with simply renaming/renumbering of files. It's easy to rename all my .jpeg files to .jpg, or all those SmoothMcGroove downloads to an easier-to-parse convention.

No kidding. Any file explorer without a proper bulk-renaming tool is like notepad compared to a proper editor... just junk to me.

I hit F2 in Xfce's file manager, and it even lets me do regular expression search-and-replace, along with simply renaming/renumbering of files. It's easy to rename all my .jpeg files to .jpg, or all those SmoothMcGroove downloads to an easier-to-parse convention.

Absolutely.

orly nao. I'll try this with KDE's file manager. Might have a similar feature. Or I'll install my own if it doesn't (yay linux).

See, getting and remembering the syntax for regular expressions means I'll probably just use an automated utility for that. That's basically what Bulk Rename Utility (on Windows ofc) is. A GUI that takes out the need to know all that stuff and just lets you do what you need to do. Yes it's ugly and looks complicated, but that lets it be uber powerful.

I'm all for learning stuff, but learning and understanding all the possible operations you could do takes a lot of time. Then when you get it wrong, you have to troubleshoot and well, I'd rather just use a dumb-guys GUI based utility that does it for me.

I guess I'm not smart enough for regular expressions.

† Christian Member †

No really.

you know what Netflix is?

you ever thought about being Netflix?

Plex lets you be Netflix

you can use your Netflix (Plex) and let a few other people if you feel like it.

it requires a decent internet connection, a decent 24/7 server that can crunch some videos, and media for your Netflix server.

Error: 410

Absolutely.

orly nao. I'll try this with KDE's file manager. Might have a similar feature. Or I'll install my own if it doesn't (yay linux).

See, getting and remembering the syntax for regular expressions means I'll probably just use an automated utility for that. That's basically what Bulk Rename Utility (on Windows ofc) is. A GUI that takes out the need to know all that stuff and just lets you do what you need to do. Yes it's ugly and looks complicated, but that lets it be uber powerful.

I'm all for learning stuff, but learning and understanding all the possible operations you could do takes a lot of time. Then when you get it wrong, you have to troubleshoot and well, I'd rather just use a dumb-guys GUI based utility that does it for me.

I guess I'm not smart enough for regular expressions.

Regular expressions aren't that bad, but they ARE a language of sorts, so it's trickier than just clicking some checkboxes. If you do use them, it's good to have a preview of the results (as Xfce's version provides) just in case you used the wrong match-type and end up renaming things improperly.

Btw, krename might be all you need for KDE's file managers. I'm sure it integrates nicely with them.

Regular expressions aren't that bad, but they ARE a language of sorts, so it's trickier than just clicking some checkboxes. If you do use them, it's good to have a preview of the results (as Xfce's version provides) just in case you used the wrong match-type and end up renaming things improperly.

Btw, krename might be all you need for KDE's file managers. I'm sure it integrates nicely with them.

Ya. I'm not good with languages. If I don't use it, I lose it.

Very useful (preview).

You are magnificent. Grazie.

you know what Netflix is?

you ever thought about being Netflix?

Plex lets you be Netflix

you can use your Netflix (Plex) and let a few other people if you feel like it.

it requires a decent internet connection, a decent 24/7 server that can crunch some videos, and media for your Netflix server.

10/10 explanation. I can Netflix.

No, rly, I enjoyed reading that. You are also magnificent.

† Christian Member †

Ya. I'm not good with languages. If I don't use it, I lose it.

Very useful (preview).

You are magnificent. Grazie.

Often there's not much to learn, for instance, something like this:

Source filename: (.*)jpeg -> Destination filename: \1jpg

That would "grab" all characters it could until it hit the text "jpeg", and the () would tell it to store just that part so you could use it on the other side as the special match "variable" \1 ... then it would rename the file to whatever was matched, and add "jpg to the end.

Even just learning a few key things about regular expressions is very useful if you're dealing with search-and-replace stuff often enough in your life.

Alright, Freenas is up and running! Now all I have to do is install Plex and rename all 3500+ episodes of anime I have. Hooray...

think you can share your plex server? 

Often there's not much to learn, for instance, something like this:

Source filename: (.*)jpeg -> Destination filename: \1jpg

That would "grab" all characters it could until it hit the text "jpeg", and the () would tell it to store just that part so you could use it on the other side as the special match "variable" \1 ... then it would rename the file to whatever was matched, and add "jpg to the end.

Even just learning a few key things about regular expressions is very useful if you're dealing with search-and-replace stuff often enough in your life.

See, that went over my head. I'll try to break down what I do and don't understand. I get the "grab all characters" part (because * means any characters & any amount of them, while . means any character, but only 1), but are the ()'s ignored? Their purpose is what? Do you need them for separation of those special characters? (. & *)

So you'd have a lot of files that didn't end in .jpg, and you want to rename them all into .jpg (because you downloaded them with that weird =w or wtv to force a certain width or height I guess?) So you'd just grab the entire file name + the .jpg and ignore everything else beyond that.

And \1 is just the variable name (since it can change). Like doing aliases.

Is that correct?

† Christian Member †

think you can share your plex server? 

As much as I want to, you don't want me to lol

I'll still share it when it's up and running, but at a blistering 1mbps upload speed, you probably won't be watching much of anything on it.

And like 1000-1200 episodes are crappy mobile versions I downloaded a long time ago that I really need to re-download, but haven't found the energy to go download off of kissanime or find nice torrents that work. My collection is pretty meh. Just, a lot of meh.

If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

See, that went over my head. I'll try to break down what I do and don't understand. I get the "grab all characters" part (because * means any characters & any amount of them, while . means any character, but only 1), but are the ()'s ignored? Their purpose is what? Do you need them for separation of those special characters? (. & *)

So you'd have a lot of files that didn't end in .jpg, and you want to rename them all into .jpg (because you downloaded them with that weird =w or wtv to force a certain width or height I guess?) So you'd just grab the entire file name + the .jpg and ignore everything else beyond that.

And \1 is just the variable name (since it can change). Like doing aliases.

Is that correct?

Regexs (short name) are just a pattern-matching language. The period means "match any single character here". The asterisk means "match as many of the previous thing as you can (greedy matching)". So .* means "match as many of any single character as you can". As a result it will match as many characters as it can until it hits the text "jpg". The parentheses are like the * in that they're not a specific thing to match per se, but rather tell the regex that whatever .* is matched, it should capture that text for the "replacing" part of search-and-replace. In many regex engines, that becomes a variable named \1 (or \2 or whatever the position is, and things get a bit harder to track when you nest parenthesis (yeah you can do that :))).

So the regex itself is just one part of the operation, telling the program what to match and what to capture (the "search" part of things). The other part of the program is what to do with the matched search results... in this case, you have access to \1 , so the renamer knows that it's whatever came before the "jpeg". The file-renamer would not be able to match things that didn't end in jpeg, so it shouldn't rename them (depending on how it's setup of course).

Many renamers are even subtler, and you have to specify to match "the start of the text" or "the end of the text" which are usually ^ and $ respectively... but it varies, and you just have to experiment a bit (hence why seeing a preview is usually vital). There are other special symbols, and ways to match non-greedily (as few characters as possible rather than as many), among other things. But this is just a quick example, and obviously you don't need it if the renamer has a simpler function for the purpose of changing the file extension.

As much as I want to, you don't want me to lol

I'll still share it when it's up and running, but at a blistering 1mbps upload speed, you probably won't be watching much of anything on it.

And like 1000-1200 episodes are crappy mobile versions I downloaded a long time ago that I really need to re-download, but haven't found the energy to go download off of kissanime or find nice torrents that work. My collection is pretty meh. Just, a lot of meh.

eh, i would still check it out anyways 

@BashZeStampeedo

Ok, so * isn't the same as it would be in BASH. Gotcha. .* is just a way to make it like it is in BASH (I assume it actually is like that in BASH, but that's hidden and automated so it's easier to deal with than writing .* every time; developers being lazy ofc).

Gotcha. variable-ception. Makes sense.

Cool, thanks man. I think I'm getting it. I need to read more about Regex.

† Christian Member †

eh, i would still check it out anyways 

Sure, I'll share it as soon as it's set up. Will (if everything goes smoothly) be tomorrow or the day after. So probably next week.

Ok, so * isn't the same as it would be in BASH. Gotcha. .* is just a way to make it like it is in BASH (I assume it actually is like that in BASH, but that's hidden and automated so it's easier to deal with than writing .* every time; developers being lazy ofc).

Yeah, that's a stumbling block of sorts, since there are several dialects for regular expressions that are commonly used. The one I'm using is the Perl-style that a lot of programming languages favor (with minor alterations or missing features). There's no telling if a file-renamer will support that style or not until you look into it. The Bash shell, for instance, has its own basic dialect which you can see here: http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/sect_04_03.html (though you can use Perl-style ones with the grep command, and other shells support different regex dialects)