Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel

I can say no.

D: You monster.

post-155826-0-51694100-1443560964.jpg

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

How can you say no to this face?

sad saber.jpg

easily I have no associations with the character

Wow, out of the 3 K-On ending songs, you chose the two that aren't good.

This is the good one:

Actually, it might be the only K-On song I liked, full stop :P

They are all decent but the dont say lazy is the song that got me interested in bands like scandal, flip, and oreskaband

I can say no.

agreed lol

I assume you mean きれいand not きれう because I`ve never heard the latter and can`t find it in any dictionary.

"きょうはきれうです" means "Today is pretty", whereas "きょうもきれうです" means "Today is also pretty".

To be precise, the は in the first one is saying that compared to other days, today is nice. The は has a certain emphasis that has been the source of faux-pas, like if you accidentally end up saying "as for this meal you cooked, it's nice", implying that the other meals your host has cooked aren't as nice.

Good spot- miss-type. I should have also included that this is in conversation, so the topic is the person you are conversing with. They are both ways of saying "You are pretty today", but the first seems a little rude (though I see it often used) while the second actually seems like a compliment.

It does indeed seem a bit rude, but if people use it I assume that it isn't considered rude to say it that way.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

It does indeed seem a bit rude, but if people use it I assume that it isn't considered rude to say it that way.

To be precise, the は in the first one is saying that compared to other days, today is nice. The は has a certain emphasis that has been the source of faux-pas, like if you accidentally end up saying "as for this meal you cooked, it's nice", implying that the other meals your host has cooked aren't as nice.

I was thinking the same thing. Just checking I wasn't being stupid :)

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

Do any of you listen to Girugamesh? Do you know similar bands? This might not be the right place to ask but still. :D

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

I was thinking the same thing. Just checking I wasn't being stupid :)

Yeah, the は particle is very tricksy, and I won't pretend to understand it entirely or anything. But it's good to know that detail, since English-speakers learning Japanese love to over-use stiff sentences with は a lot. Based on what my friends tell me, it's something that can sound cute to Japanese people (the "cute foreign accent" kind of appeal), but that cuteness can wear off fast.

Yeah, the は particle is very tricksy, and I won't pretend to understand it entirely or anything. But it's good to know that detail, since English-speakers learning Japanese love to over-use stiff sentences with は a lot. Based on what my friends tell me, it's something that can sound cute to Japanese people (the "cute foreign accent" kind of appeal), but that cuteness can wear off fast.

I always think of は as the phrase "as for...". Helps me check that I'm using it in the right context (particularly when がmight also work).

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

I always think of は as the phrase "as for...". Helps me check that I'm using it in the right context (particularly when がmight also work).

That does work, but you have to be careful to remember what the "as for..." construct is implying. When you mechanically translate things a lot (in your head especially) you can easily forget that.

Personally I find it interesting that it's not marking the grammatical subject of the sentence, and people miss that a lot. For instance, "watashi wa kirei desu" doesn't mean "i'm pretty", it means "as for me, [X] is pretty", where the "X" is probably something else we're talking about (as in "speaking for myself, I find [it] pretty"). But when you're just translating something as an amateur, it's easy to forget that.

Incoming discussion post that nobody will read or interact with

Not by Japanese popular definition, it's not.

The japanese word for pedophile is 小児愛者, or Shōniaisha.
This is nice and all but it doesn't mean much relative to how old a word is.

Retarded used to be referencing the mental medical condition Mental Retardation. It is now a slang term for stupid people and/or things.

Niger is Latin for black, or at least the Latin root for black. Literally. I don't think anyone cares though.

The origination for loli may have been about prepubescent girls, but the popular definition (regarding anime at least) AFAICT is about characters who appear under age but are really not. AKA an 18 year old with a 12 year old's body.

I don't want homophobe to mean hatefully bigoted people towards homosexuals, because the etymology of the word makes no sense for that, but unfortunately, people have agendas, and that definition is spread enough that any attempt I'd make at changing it is basically pointless. 

Language evolves. The only definitions words have is what society decides by popular demand. That's just how it goes and how one language can borrow words from other languages.

While we've covered the annoying parts of that (that you can't change a large number of people's minds easily about what a word means), the fun part of that is that you are an agent of change because you use language and help it evolve.

So even though I can't change a lot of people's minds about homophobe, I'm going to mention it every time someone uses it in the way I mentioned above, and only use it regarding what I believe it's definition should be: Someone who has an irrational fear of homosexuals. Hatred being optional but not necessary (since it goes with fear and what-not).

Edit: Then again, there aren't really metrics for this. I'm sure about as many people say a Lolicon is the same as a pedophile as people say they are not the same. 

I've just always seen the "loli" tag being related to characters in anime in the situation I gave. Where they are old enough but don't appear so.

I imagine that the only time loli is actually applied to children is in the hentai that exists for that demographic. So I guess split the difference and say it's both but it really depends what you are talking about.

@helping note the edit

...well of course by technical definition it's not. You wouldn't expect to find "ww" when looking up the japanese word for funny, right? I don't think you'd find definitions for borrowed words anyway.
 pedophile =/= loli =/= lolicon.

lolicon would be the closer synonym to pedophile, not plain loli.

The term is a slang term. That's where it's definition is from. It doesn't make sense trying to argue it because that's undeniable the inspiration for the creation of the word.
It's hard to reply to your first quote because what you replied to me seems incoherent and almost doesn't pertain to what you quoted (nature of topic aside)

It means very much relative to how old the word is.

Retarded is a word we all agree on to use in a certain manner, retarded means mentally handicapped by connotation and not. The word itself does not explicitly mean that. The word is a form of Tardus; slow, lazy, late, sluggish. You could use this to describe someone with a mental handicap. Similarly, I used the word Autistic before to describe a behavior with an etymological definition and not the medical definition. My professor thought it was a typo but I pointed that out and everything was k.

These are more direct and technical uses down to the construction and detail of the word, rather than abstract assigned definition.

Critical tense "Retarded used to be referencing" implies previous time. To consider the word "loli" in historical context is something I don't understand again. The word is modern, it can't be more than, say, maybe early 90's. There is no "used to" and "now" definition, because the word is completely modern. It's time is now.

I don't quite understand your association with the word retard and loli. The term with accepted use has a pertinent meaning. You point seems to nullify itself, the slang use of calling someone retarded is insinuating that they have a mental deficiency or is drawing a comparison to them with someone that does.

Again, I completely don't understand where you're going with Niger being the Latin word for black. If you're getting at nigger then that's barely comparable. Odds are the people that used the Latin language had no concept of the word being used in a derogatory sense. The stem of the derogatory is (don't quote me, I'm not researching) most likely Spanish and Portuguese referring to Africans as Nergro, they're both derivative words based off of the Latin word. And then American whites slangifying it, and then modern (post ~1880) whites using it as a derogatory because the term is archaic and refers to title of blacks under American slavery.

They're still using the same technical word with the same exact meaning, it carries a different connotation based on the age of the word.

It seems like your post is tangential to mine or only vaguely related. If there is a debate here I don't really understand it, and I don't really see what there is that is up to debate. The word usage is plain cut and dry.

My post didn't provide any context and I think that might be what you're getting at, but I made a clear distinction right here that should suffice and is universally applicable.

I'd already addressed one of your points with

of course, a 20 year old can still look like a prepubescent girl.

lolicon and loli refers to a person and girl subjected to the same situation, respectively.

I fail to see how a lolicon (outside of anime/manga context) isn't a pedophile. Saying the person is or isn't, that's not important, I'm talking about the word. Lolita-complex, analogous to the Oedipus complex and Electra complex. The word Lolita refers to the name Dolores (the 12 year old girl). Again, strictly speaking words, not brushing on Freud.
word autistic. The pop definition is a hard reference to an example, no matter the way people use the word incorrectly doesn't change the actual definition.

Your comparison of words that have a different definition by technical construction doesn't work because the technical (referential) and slang use of the word both agree; attraction to a 12 year old. Drawing a 12 year old and calling her 25 doesn't magically not make her a 12 year old as much as anime would love to circumvent the issue by doing so.

Loli is definitely used when the girl isn't old enough and doesn't appear old enough, and it's quick and dirty to prove that easily.

Seriously, maybe re-read my original post and reply to them both again and clarify. I'm trying to understand what you wrote but it's going over me, I feel like I've already addressed what you might be discussing, but much more succinctly.

Also being a lolicon it at least legally fine as long as it doesn't bleed into you know real people of that age.

All this does is help my argument. What does that imply if it's ok as long as it's not real?
I can pretend murder, torture, and rape all I want, and that's ok as long as it's not real.

That depends actually, and I know what you are getting at.  There's Western Lolita aka what you just brought up, lolitas in the Asian sense where it is what Maniac said, and then there is lolicon which is the same as the first.  So, it depends on how and what culture is using the term.

What do you mean? The word is only an Eastern term. The slang use of lolita doesn't exist in the West, neither words are ever used in Western language if it doesn't relate to something Japanese oriental. Because it's a word from Japan pop culture, nowhere else. It is a borrowed word, but not a borrowed meaning.

Error: 410

Q.Q Can't get Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu to download. Torrents are being stupid. There are people seeding it but it doesn't want to download.

If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

That does work, but you have to be careful to remember what the "as for..." construct is implying. When you mechanically translate things a lot (in your head especially) you can easily forget that.

Personally I find it interesting that it's not marking the grammatical subject of the sentence, and people miss that a lot. For instance, "watashi wa kirei desu" doesn't mean "i'm pretty", it means "as for me, [X] is pretty", where the "X" is probably something else we're talking about (as in "speaking for myself, I find [it] pretty"). But when you're just translating something as an amateur, it's easy to forget that.

Very true. "Wa" does seem to get overused a lot for that reason. It's also why only talking about snippets of Japanese conversation is so hard- the subject being talking about could be 10 line back! It's one of the best parts of Japanese for me. All the subtle differences that make the language so nuanced. I know all languages have them, but Japanese seems particularly fun to work with.   

Very true. "Wa" does seem to get overused a lot for that reason. It's also why only talking about snippets of Japanese conversation is so hard- the subject being talking about could be 10 line back! It's one of the best parts of Japanese for me. All the subtle differences that make the language so nuanced. I know all languages have them, but Japanese seems particularly fun to work with.   

you say that now, but are you doing it for fun or for work?

I went up to Latin 4 in HS and we did some translations for Lucan. The best part is some poets kind of wing it. Writing styles like his were incredibly unique and it wasn't helped by how compact he would sometimes get by making tons of implications and relevant words many sentences back, as you said. And then there would be Cicero-style paragraph long sentences.

shit was nightmare fuel in terms of content and difficulty

spent half the time finding Waldo

Finished Golden Time, it was very good though i didn't like the ending that much, now i feel like i need to read the light novels and i will do exactly that albeit i don't know when since i have many volumes in my waiting list.

I don't usually rate what i watch, so i will say this is one of the top 15 romance anime i've seen.

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

Finished Golden Time, it was very good though i didn't like the ending that much, now i feel like i need to read the light novels and i will do exactly that albeit i don't know when since i have many volumes in my waiting list.

I don't usually rate what i watch, so i will say this is one of the top 15 romance anime i've seen.

Top 15? Guess that must mean it's in spot 11 or under, right? :)

I kinda want to do that to a friends computer. Just because.

@Daegun

@MyInnerFred needs a chitanda skin

Confirmed for multi-monitor aware and climbing Windows.

A single .exe just defeated all of Rainmeter.

edit: TWO CLIMBERS

8JhVXRK.png?1

edit: also climbs vertically, huh.

-snip-

What your trying to say does not make sense to me. 

I'm not going to argue this beyond this post because it's not important and I don't agree with the angle you take with it. TL;WR of how I view it.

• Technical definitions don't have absolute significance imo because words mean nothing if they don't convey their point to the person directly. Meaning that if I use the word correctly, it doesn't mean anything if the one I'm talking to takes it with their definition as opposed to mine. 
  • My understanding is and has always been that the difference between a lolicon and a pedophile is that the lolicon only cares about the appearance and not the actual idea of it being a child. That as long as it looks like a child, it does not matter if it's actually a child. Whereas, a pedophile requires that because a pedophile is only a pedophile if they are actually attracted to a child. Doesn't matter what the child looks like. Just that it is actually a child. 
  • And just so ya know, the words I listed were just examples of words that obviously people would prefer didn't mean what they mean. Words that have technical definitions that should mean they are acceptable to say. Yet they are not because people don't care what the technical definition is as long as there's another definition they give the word which has more significance to them.

Normally I try to match and respond to every point someone makes in a large post directed at me (common courtesy for all that writing), but this isn't a topic I feel I want to do that on. Sorry.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

So I was going through pics on my phone and found these pics I did on my old phone when Yoshitoshi ABE was at ACEN in 2014. I think I have some better pics that I took with my DSLR once I got home but ill have to find those.

I picked up all of the anime works he was involved in that I could find and got them all signed. If you notice im sadly missing Neia_7 since no one was carrying it. The second limited edition copy of lain is for a close fiend of mine who had to back out last minute and ABe is by far his favorite animator. Since our line was only 20 or so strong he was nice enough to do a bit of drawing. The line for the english voice actors next to us was outside the autograph area. All I have to say is man where they missing out. This was ABe's first time to a US convention BTW.

Oh, and if your wondering why I had to buy then and just didn't have my original Geneon Boxset's signed, well I didn't have them with me. I kinda go to the con every year so I dont pay all that much attention as to who is going

Yoshitoshi%20ABe%20ACEN%202014%20Phone%2

@Daegun

@MyInnerFred needs a chitanda skin

Confirmed for multi-monitor aware and climbing Windows.

A single .exe just defeated all of Rainmeter.

edit: TWO CLIMBERS

8JhVXRK.png?1

edit: also climbs vertically, huh.

Glad you like it. :D

@Vitalius

FreeNAS hates me. :(

So my nic arrived finally. Put it in. Boot up. Oh, would you look at that, the install is corrupt. Oh well, let's reinstall it.

Gets past bios, recognizes everything plugged in, and... reboots. And reboots. Then for lulz reboots some more, but never actually boots off my usb drive. Even though no settings have been changed in the bios and this is the exact flash drive I used to install it the first time. Any ideas?

@Vitalius

FreeNAS hates me. :(

So my nic arrived finally. Put it in. Boot up. Oh, would you look at that, the install is corrupt. Oh well, let's reinstall it.

Gets past bios, recognizes everything plugged in, and... reboots. And reboots. Then for lulz reboots some more, but never actually boots off my usb drive. Even though no settings have been changed in the bios and this is the exact flash drive I used to install it the first time. Any ideas?

On a cheap/crappiness meter, how cheap/crappy is that USB drive? Crappier ones don't have the kind of stability/consistency at data protection that is required for an OS. 

I recommend trying Amahi if there's nothing too important already on it. See if that gives you fits. If not, it's FreeNAS being annoying. If so, it's the USB drive. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

On a cheap/crappiness meter, how cheap/crappy is that USB drive? Crappier ones don't have the kind of stability/consistency at data protection that is required for an OS. 

I recommend trying Amahi if there's nothing too important already on it. See if that gives you fits. If not, it's FreeNAS being annoying. If so, it's the USB drive.

The only flash drives anyone should be buying unless they need something smaller is the SanDisk Extreme ones that I recommended you.