Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel
4 hours ago, Loote said:

That being said, do you agree that the way people watch anime has changed? I've seen this mentioned on several YouTube channels and it fits what I see, that is:

Newcomers to anime world used to get a list of classics, out of which you'd have to watch some before you're considered a proper fan. Nowadays people grab whatever's most popular out of the airing show and start with that. There are two things I don't like about it: 1. They miss out the timeless titles, which makes whatever is the best series they saw their ceiling, usually something that's only good; 2. I don't watch ongoing stuff and feel left out.

Any thoughts on that?

There's too much good modern anime to try and keep up with. I dont think people need to do their homework to know what they like.

Like to think that the most popular anime is any different than how most of us got into anime (dragonball, naruto, bleach, inuasha, cardcaptors, yugioh) those were plenty of our first anime. Its just a new generation, and with the progression of time that the amount  of great anime you have have to watch would get unreasonable. Whens the cutoff date? And who dictates what has to be seen? Its ridiculous.

Really, there shouldn't be elitism if they like what they like, thats great. We shouldnt pu ourselves or our favorite anime on a pedestal. 

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

There are lists, my preferred way was to get some 'must watch' list, dig into it and choose titles that sound interesting. What I hope for is, how to describe it... some common base? Reading someone's opinion on, say Cowboy Bebop, NGE and GitS for example, be it good or bad, could point me into what their taste is like. I know it won't happen both because a complete list of must-see titles is impossible to create and because not many will care about it anyway. It's just, I feel you can watch ongoing series and you'll have on average 5-6/10 experience, or you could watch things that multiple people have deemed 'classics' and have 7-8/10 experience on average.

Don't take me too seriously, I'm not on any kind of crusade, just curious if there's someone with similar feelings.

On 5/15/2019 at 10:35 AM, TheProfosist said:

Well guys headed to ACEN 2019 tomorrow like every year. If any of you end up going hit me up. More likely to get me on Twitter or Instagram but I'll check back here. I really think @MyInnerFred@MyInnerFred should come up some time ;)

Haha I can't travel that far. It would be better if you came down to Houston and participated in Anime Matsuri around June 13th instead.

On 5/15/2019 at 7:19 PM, RainColt said:

Theres a discord? How do i join?

I can send you a discord link if you want.

15 hours ago, Loote said:

Is the idea from the first post completely gone, or modified?

I think this turned into anime-related general thread? If so, I'm actually quite happy, there's no way I'd have time to watch whole series every week and even if it's not required by rules, I drop only the worse and don't simultaneously watch multiple titles.

That being said, do you agree that the way people watch anime has changed? I've seen this mentioned on several YouTube channels and it fits what I see, that is:

Newcomers to anime world used to get a list of classics, out of which you'd have to watch some before you're considered a proper fan. Nowadays people grab whatever's most popular out of the airing show and start with that. There are two things I don't like about it: 1. They miss out the timeless titles, which makes whatever is the best series they saw their ceiling, usually something that's only good; 2. I don't watch ongoing stuff and feel left out.

Any thoughts on that?

This club's activities are no longer active, we stopped around when LTT changed the forums. I and some other forum members like @Charger helped run the weekly anime topics. Now the remaining active members just hang out on discord.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

15 hours ago, Loote said:

some common base? Reading someone's opinion on, say Cowboy Bebop, NGE and GitS for example, be it good or bad, could point me into what their taste is like. I know it won't happen both because a complete list of must-see titles is impossible to create and because not many will care about it anyway. It's just, I feel you can watch ongoing series and you'll have on average 5-6/10 experience, or you could watch things that multiple people have deemed 'classics' and have 7-8/10 experience on average.

Yeah i guess, but you could also watch cowboy bebop for the first time and also find it kind of meh, like when we watched it for the thread i didnt love it, it took its self too seriously and felt like it was smelling its own farts, classics of yesteryear arnt for everyone either.

Likenit might have done something ground breaking at the time that other series have borrowed from but watching it now might seem derivative. Where sure, you cant see the forrest throught the trees, cowboy bebop DID do it first but by now its been done 10 times over really well. Its shine is lost to the luster of new gems.

Maybe you're just not the same generation. They're equally proper fans its just what you consider a modern classic for them is just a classic and your classics are ancient classics. Like when i got into anime there was no way i was goi g back abmnd watching lensman, or big O cause those were freakin old

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

On 5/16/2019 at 12:10 AM, wasab said:

Go visit mount fiji. You can travel by japanese bullet train. You dont need to keep flying from one place to another. 

pro tip get a visitor train pass and use the crap out of it cheap compared to people there are itll get you everywhere

On 5/16/2019 at 8:11 AM, LAwLz said:

What I found is that it was best to plan as little as possible.

Ill agree with this when traveling make a list of what you want to do then just go with the flow and experience the place.

On 5/17/2019 at 5:49 PM, Loote said:

There are lists, my preferred way was to get some 'must watch' list, dig into it and choose titles that sound interesting. What I hope for is, how to describe it... some common base? Reading someone's opinion on, say Cowboy Bebop, NGE and GitS for example, be it good or bad, could point me into what their taste is like. I know it won't happen both because a complete list of must-see titles is impossible to create and because not many will care about it anyway. It's just, I feel you can watch ongoing series and you'll have on average 5-6/10 experience, or you could watch things that multiple people have deemed 'classics' and have 7-8/10 experience on average.

Don't take me too seriously, I'm not on any kind of crusade, just curious if there's someone with similar feelings.

On 5/17/2019 at 6:39 PM, MyInnerFred said:

Haha I can't travel that far. It would be better if you came down to Houston and participated in Anime Matsuri around June 13th instead.

I can send you a discord link if you want.

This club's activities are no longer active, we stopped around when LTT changed the forums. I and some other forum members like @Charger helped run the weekly anime topics. Now the remaining active members just hang out on discord.

rip

also werent their issues around matsuri?

@Looteif your looking for suggestions look through the old weekly threads I though I did a good job having high quality varying offerings but maybe thats just me. Thanks to @Charger for helping out and making threads and stuff :D
yeah the forum switching and loosing tapatalk kinds killed it for me personally. Also was switching over to doing my own thing and making content on my own accounts/platforms.

On 5/18/2019 at 8:11 AM, RainColt said:

Yeah i guess, but you could also watch cowboy bebop for the first time and also find it kind of meh, like when we watched it for the thread i didnt love it, it took its self too seriously and felt like it was smelling its own farts, classics of yesteryear arnt for everyone either.

Likenit might have done something ground breaking at the time that other series have borrowed from but watching it now might seem derivative. Where sure, you cant see the forrest throught the trees, cowboy bebop DID do it first but by now its been done 10 times over really well. Its shine is lost to the luster of new gems.

Maybe you're just not the same generation. They're equally proper fans its just what you consider a modern classic for them is just a classic and your classics are ancient classics. Like when i got into anime there was no way i was goi g back abmnd watching lensman, or big O cause those were freakin old

would love to see your list of what did cowboy bebop anywhere near as well and evokes similar feelings. There is a reason why the eyecatch in the second half is what it is below.

264464034_BebopsLegacythumb.jpg.6e1a004336cf0c50a2c4fb9ced6b0abd.jpg

Im not saying you have to like or enjoy something but I would hardly say Cowboy Bebop has been played out. There are for sure some modern classics but they are becoming fewer and fewer as the industry changes how they are making anime. Gigguk recently has a decent video on this that I mostly agree with. I do seriously suggest you check out the weekly poll threads once I started selecting anime. Otherwise tell me what you looking for and ill give you some varying suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Wagnaria!!/Working!! may be one of the most wholesome slice of life shows i've seen in a while and there's 3 seasons, thats normally unheard of

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Anyone got lost watching Index season3 (one punch doma)?

I am, so many new characters in such a compressed/ intense plot...

then theres side story of accelerator next season....

1 hour ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Yeaaaaaah, it was kind of confusing. They've also skipped a lot of content to fit as much as possible into their season so that doesn't help.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

That anime isn't there to watch for the plot. read the wiki and the manga if you want to know what's going on. 

That anime is there to show the lame shonen fight scenes that appeal to kids and teenagers. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

per my previous comment, if you want a feel-good slice of life, comedy, romance anime, i highly recommend Wagnaria/Working (name depends on where you watch it)

It had an actual ending with everything wrapped up in line with the source material. it's so nice to see a show end instead of dropping out halfway and then having to find where it ends in the light novel/manga if you wish to continue.

image.png.af5b824f2e330199f846ce9252ec6a55.png

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 6/9/2019 at 4:48 AM, Arika S said:

per my previous comment, if you want a feel-good slice of life, comedy, romance anime, i highly recommend Wagnaria/Working (name depends on where you watch it)

It had an actual ending with everything wrapped up in line with the source material. it's so nice to see a show end instead of dropping out halfway and then having to find where it ends in the light novel/manga if you wish to continue.

Great series, lots of comedic value. Back when this anime club was actually active we had a week where this series won as the anime of the week to watch if I remember clearly.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Darling in the FRANXX...

3/4 of it was pretty compelling. Then they went Gurren Lagann on me and COMPLETELY lost me. I wasn't quite sure what i was watching anymore. However, the last 10 minutes was quite emotional, so hats off for that last effort. Makes me wish they put the same effort into the last 3 or 4 episodes.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

• 3 weeks later...

Rewatching the original Yu-Gi-Oh, wow is that theme one of the best pieces of music ever? It has everything!

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Rewatching the original pokemon series. Awesome, it is awesome. Brings back childhood memory. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Aww yeah, Danmachi S2 finally here ?

Also, King's Avatar S2 next week for fans of the Chinese animation. I really enjoyed how they showcased competitive e-sport elements of an MMORPG game  ^^

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Sad day for anime fans
https://japantoday.com/category/crime/33-dead-after-man-sets-fire-to-Kyoto-anime-studio

A deranged man set the Kyoto Animation studio ablaze for "copying" him.

33 dead, 36 in the hospital.

The bastard allegedly set fire near the front door, forcing people to find a different way out.... Most of the victims were on the third floor. 

Were there no emergency fire exists or sprinklers? Sounds like they have issues with fire and health safety in Japan...

Honestly, I would've never guessed that building was the KyoAni studio. It looks like your regular apartment complex.

In any case, this is a sad day indeed. Expect KyoAni's current/future project to either be delayed or even outright cancelled now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Sad day for anime fans
https://japantoday.com/category/crime/33-dead-after-man-sets-fire-to-Kyoto-anime-studio

A deranged man set the Kyoto Animation studio ablaze for "copying" him.

33 dead, 36 in the hospital.

The bastard allegedly set fire near the front door, forcing people to find a different way out.... Most of the victims were on the third floor. 

Were there no emergency fire exists or sprinklers? Sounds like they have issues with fire and health safety in Japan...

Honestly, I would've never guessed that building was the KyoAni studio. It looks like your regular apartment complex.

In any case, this is a sad day indeed. Expect KyoAni's current/future project to either be delayed or even outright cancelled now.

12 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Water won't do anything to a petrol fire other than spread it around.  They also mentioned in the article that the structure of the building and the amount of loose paper documents may have contributed to the fire.

1 minute ago, Koeshi said:

Water won't do anything to a petrol fire other than spread it around.  They also mentioned in the article that the structure of the building and the amount of loose paper documents may have contributed to the fire.

It may have helped slightly to reduce the speed of the spread though. Since while water is kind of useless on the petrol fire itself, the papers on fire could've been watered down a little, giving time for the employees to find safety.

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

It may have helped slightly to reduce the speed of the spread though. Since while water is kind of useless on the petrol fire itself, the papers on fire could've been watered down a little, giving time for the employees to find safety.

Problem is many buildings are old and built before current fire regulations and due to that not everything is retrospectively applied and required to be complied to, some things are. Putting in a sprinkler system in an old building not built in mind for it is difficult and expensive. Fire/smoke doors between floors may have helped and is much cheaper, if possible due to layout.

Kyoani is one of the few animation studios that employs people on a full time salary basis and they operate an animation school. Really like what they do as a company and for their employees as well as the great work they produce.

8 hours ago, Koeshi said:

the accelerant was likely petroleum based and water wouldn't have helped much (other than to cool other combustibles impeding the spread of fire), but the water suppression system would have likely doused the secondary fires. Very sad.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

• 1 month later...

Hey Heaven Society, 

hoping some of you way more clued up guys can help me find something new to watch, so below I'll go through some of the Animes I've watched but I am pretty much a filthy Casual so putting aside the Naruto/Dragonball/Bleach series that we prob have all watched. 

These are some of the Animes I've watched over the years that I've really enjoyed and hoping you guys might pick up on a theme here and be able to point me in the right direction, I def like the Darker stuff, And mecha Hell yeah but please not those Gundam Colorful ones, Growing up with Power rangers may have ruined them for me :P 

Akira
Black Lagoon
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Knights of Sidonia
Blame
Kuromukuro
Attack on Titan
One punch man
Hunter X Hunter

Log Horizon 

Sword Art Online (First season) 

Last Exile

Samurai7

Goblin Slayer
Samurai Champloo

Full Metal Alch

Death Note

Thanks so much, Really Hoping I can find something to sink my teeth into, just finished Kuromukuro and while I know its by no means a Great anime has got me back into animes so really keen to expand.  

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

An anime I seldom see mentioned anywhere although it is imho one of the best, in terms of storyline, creativity and philosophy: X'Amd: Lost Memories

There is also the seldom mentioned but SO good Eureka 7 and it's sequel Eureka 7: AO which has never really well accepted by the public, but which I find really good in term of split and alternate story. But hey, I'm well known for having non-conventional tastes in culture ?

And Violet Evergarden, of course! ?

And Darker than Black

And Ergo Proxy! Ah! This one really has a close feel like Blade Runner

On another tone but I really like the kind of serious and goofy story: Heroic Age

And there are a few others to add to the list

Edit: Forgot to add the excellent Psycho-Pass and Higashi No Eden