air vs water

ryu1337

i have a noctua nh-u12s and 5 3600  was thinking off getting a liquid cooler would anyone advise against or not if not which are some good water coolers 

2 minutes ago, ryu1337 said:

i have a noctua nh-u12s was thinking off getting a liquid cooler would anyone advise against or not if not witch are some good water coolers 

it would depend on the purpose of the cooler, for what would you like to use it? And how much?

A high end air cooler is just as good if not better than a lot of AiO Liquid Cooling solution. Plus there's no risk of a leak or the pump stopping to work. Even if the fans stop with a air cooler, the massive metal chunk on top of it will act as a heat diffuser.

Your Ryzen 5 3600 that barely overclocks won't benefit much from a AiO compared to what you have.

Here's a review of your cooler(well, the A variant, it has 2 extra heatpipes, but results should be in the same ball park) vs 5 liquid cooler with a Ryzen 7 5800X.

https://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-u12a-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/

Not only does it perform pretty well, it's also quieter than all of them on load. IF you want to upgrade your cooler, I'm partial to a Noctua D15. Great cooler, just a bit on the massive side of things.

Spoiler

image.png.bebcbbb02f52748f0479c8fcbe7e64dd.png

Anandtech also has a nice chart of multiple coolers

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPUCooling/772

43˚C for your cooler vs 37˚C for a Kraken liquid cooler... Is 6˚C really worth your money?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

My personal preference is to go air cooling unless you're going to invest in a custom water-loop system for aesthetic purposes. However most of my PC's I've built have always been function > form.

i have been thinking in the long run getting a custom water loop pump system as i have just upgraded to a in win 303 so it would look good and i have been building for aesthetics now that i have a decent build 

10 minutes ago, ryu1337 said:

5 3600

That does not need AIO

Decent Air is cool for it. Perhaps even the Hyper 212 if it's cheap enough.

13 minutes ago, ryu1337 said:

noctua nh-u12s

That's more than enough.

I edit my posts more often than not

There's only so much overclocking you can do since its a non-X CPU. I'd just go full chonk with Noctua and not worry about it.

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

9 minutes ago, NinJake said:

My personal preference is to go air cooling unless you're going to invest in a custom water-loop system for aesthetic purposes.

This should be chapter one in the computer building 101.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

yea i figured the noctua would be more than enough just wanted to get more opinions and eventually when i upgrade my cpu want to go to a pump kit

2 minutes ago, ryu1337 said:

yea i figured the noctua would be more than enough just wanted to get more opinions and eventually when i upgrade my cpu want to go to a pump kit

AMD is doing a refresh of the 5XXX CPUs and eventually moving to DDR5 at some point. Price marks are going to be coming in on the 5XXX and 3XXX chips again soon. 

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

A 3600 pulls only about 95W at full tilt. It can sufficiently be cooled by even a mid range air cooler. Even though AIO failures are far more rare than they used to be, there's still inherent risk in any sort of liquid cooling. It only makes sense to take that risk, if you're actually going to get something out of it.

I eventually went with an AIO for my 5900X, but that was because I was actually getting to a point where I was pushing hard enough for the temps to be a little out of hand. That chip can pull 200W, though, so it's a whole different world from a 3600.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

2 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

A 3600 pulls only about 95W at full tilt. It can sufficiently be cooled by even a mid range air cooler. Even though AIO failures are far more rare than they used to be, there's still inherent risk in any sort of liquid cooling. It only makes sense to take that risk, if you're actually going to get something out of it.

I eventually went with an AIO for my 5900X, but that was because I was actually getting to a point where I was pushing hard enough for the temps to be a little out of hand. That chip can pull 200W, though, so it's a whole different world from a 3600.

there are air-coolers that can handle over 250Watts of heat. Thats really not a reason.

Having the room just on top of the CPU, is another matter.

the only reason water-cooling is effective, as water can carry the heat away, so you can cool it elsewhere.

Nothing more nothing less.

Its still fins that heat up and be cooled with moving air over them. Its just the way heat is transfered.

So essentially theres not to much difference between either.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

5 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

there are air-coolers that can handle over 250Watts of heat. Thats really not a reason.

Yes indeed, I use an air cooler and I let my 5900X exceed 200w routinely.

20 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

That chip can pull 200W, though, so it's a whole different world from a 3600.

It can do more than that, you just have to push a little harder 👍

I have seen 245w from mine, but have seen screenshots showing 260w from other like minded individuals 🤘

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

once i get the money i will like to upgrade to a new cpu. when they release the newer 5xxx chips. if i cant afford it then maybe just a 5 5600x or maybe 9 5900x

5 minutes ago, ryu1337 said:

once i get the money i will like to upgrade to a new cpu. when they release the newer 5xxx chips. if i cant afford it then maybe just a 5 5600x or maybe 9 5900x

I would also suggest Intel 12th gen over Ryzen 5000 series, but as for now, an air cooled 3600 is good enough for just about whatever you want to do, so stick with that for at least a little while

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

46 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

the only reason water-cooling is effective, as water can carry the heat away, so you can cool it elsewhere.

That's only partially correct. It is about moving the heat away from the CPU, but the temperature gradient remains much higher between the CPU and water than the CPU and heat sink/air. That enables a more efficient transfer of heat, which is then additionally carried away.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Don't forget a part of this depends on the case. Does it allow for good airflow? Some SFF cases are better off with AIOs.

That is very true. I run 3000 rpm fans in my system.. they are intense. I govern them most of the time 🤭

Not many fellows would be willing to run something like that willingly lol 😁

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

11 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

Its still fins that heat up and be cooled with moving air over them. Its just the way heat is transfered.

So essentially theres not to much difference between either.

that and you can make the cooling surface bigger for more cooling or quieter. with a duel tower cooler your limited to just that and 3 fans.

although my d15 is un audible with my 6600k...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

i have a inwin 303 with the top and back fan for exhaust and bottom fans for intake