Electricity Problem

MesZa

I've had my PC for a couple of months now, but my latest electricity bill was through the rough. I think its from downloading so many games over so long (my Internet is pretty garbage). Does anyone know a way to either make the Computer's connection better or reduce the amount of electricity used?

Thx

3 minutes ago, MesZa said:

I've had my PC for a couple of months now, but my latest electricity bill was through the rough. I think its from downloading so many games over so long (my Internet is pretty garbage). Does anyone know a way to either make the Computer's connection better or reduce the amount of electricity used?

Thx

Uhhh using the internet doesn't really use that much more electricity. Maybe a few watts. Having these computer on and running uses the electricity. When you aren't actively using it, either put it to sleep or turn it off. 

what was the actual increase over the previous month and is it linear with the wattage the machine uses?

38 minutes ago, MesZa said:

Thx

How much electricity does your computer actually draw? (Not just the PSU max wattage)

How much extra electricity was used on your bill, compared to normal?

What is your electrical rate (usually "local currency" per kWh - feel free to convert the currency into USD or whatever if you want)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Unless you are running a Mining or Beowulf Cluster, merely using one Computer would be hust a blip on the power bill.

6 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

Well, If it's using 500 wats x 24hrs thats 12 kw\h per day x 30 days = 360 kw\h x .10 cents per kw\h = $36 a month. How much power is tour pc using?

A PC very rarely uses 500 watts of power.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

55 minutes ago, Caroline said:

How much of an increase did you notice? I leave mine on for days to download games and haven't noticed any increase in my bill. It took me 2 months to dl Cyberpunk 2077 so I'm used to it, I started the Doom Eternal + DLCs download about a week ago and it's only at 8% so it's gonna take a looooong long time to complete *sigh*

Unless you're mining cryptos you shouldn't notice a big increase in your bill.

Dialup? Damn dude just get a console and buy discs.

36 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Dialup? Damn dude just get a console and buy discs.

"Hey bro wanna play a game?"
"Sure lemme load it up on the 56k!"

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooiiiiaoiaeoooooooaioaiaaaooooooooiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

you could have other PC issues, also for modern components. there has been some videos on idle wattage and you don't use much for downloading unless you just keep the system active with BS background tasks idling.

It's more likely that your electricity price have just gotten higher, and if you are in Europe, that have happened.

Or it has gotten colder/your home is leaky to the cold. In the northern hemisphere, heating is the number 1 energy use by a good margin.

If you are in a colder country, most of what a computer use will be put out as heat again like what electric heating cable or panel ovens do. That means the other heating work less(if they are controlled by temperature), and the total use becomes almost the same. (This is if all other conditions with heating is the same)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

5 hours ago, Caroline said:

How much of an increase did you notice? I leave mine on for days to download games and haven't noticed any increase in my bill. It took me 2 months to dl Cyberpunk 2077 so I'm used to it, I started the Doom Eternal + DLCs download about a week ago and it's only at 8% so it's gonna take a looooong long time to complete *sigh*

That's insane. The slowest connection I've ever been on was 512Kbps DSL when I was a kid, in fact I remember waiting like 2 days for Mass Effect 1 to download. Nowadays I have gigabit fiber.

But 2 months for Cyberpunk? Jesus. Doom Eternal's gonna be even longer XD.  

MAIN SYSTEM: Intel i9 10850K | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4-3600C16 | RTX 3070 FE | MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon WIFI | Corsair H100i Pro 240mm AIO | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSDs | EVGA SuperNova 850 P2 | Fractal Design Meshify C | Razer Cynosa V2 | Corsair Scimitar Elite | Gigabyte G27Q

Other Devices: iPhone 12 128GB | Nintendo Switch | Surface Pro 7+ (work device)

7 hours ago, MesZa said:

Thx

Internet connections really don't do much in terms of electricity usage...unless if it requires you to keep your computer on 24/7 to download things...and even then computers shouldn't be consuming too much (if all it's doing is downloading)

What is the difference in the kwh usage?  It should say it on your electricity bill. [Potentially increased kwh pricing?]

A few things to note, unless you are using your computer for mining, have a virus or you have like a website open that is secretly mining your computer will utilize a smaller amount of power.  My system runs at like 50w idle (so if it were idling all month it would be $6 in electricity, where I live).

Larger electricity usages are as follows though:

HD digital box for cable [7.2kwh to 8.8kwh a month ~$1 at idle]

TV's [58 watts, or if left on 8 hours a day, 14kwh a month ~$1.5]

Old school lights (not LED) [45-60w per bulb, if lights are left on it can add up quite quickly]

Heating if you use electrical can make a huge difference.

If you use electrical heating for hot water then if you have a leak or are taking longer showers that could be a thing.

Other less common things, but still potentially noteworthy (if yours has spike a crazy crazy amount and you can't justify it)...neighbours plugging into outside outlets and doing things like car charging.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

44 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

]

Old school lights (not LED) [45-60w per bulb, if lights are left on it can add up quite quickly]

This! If you are old enough to be paying your own power bills, you likely are old enough to remember bulbs from pre-led days. 

My pc for example, when gaming, uses about the same as 3x 100w bulbs. My first apartment had probably that many in the living room alone. 

5 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

This! If you are old enough to be paying your own power bills, you likely are old enough to remember bulbs from pre-led days. 

My pc for example, when gaming, uses about the same as 3x 100w bulbs. My first apartment had probably that many in the living room alone. 

I literally have a lighting fixture that consumes 1.1kwh an hour.  The cost of replacement though doesn't really justify going green though [as it requires a ladder, and not sure it can support the additional weight of that many LED bulbs]

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Average gaming PC uses maybe 300-350W under heavy load. Something like 100-200W while doing lighter tasks such as downloading something. Though worth noting that running PC 247 vs 8-10h does add up.

I wouldn't put your increased bill on PC directly. Not unless you can rule out the other, more likely, suspects. Like increased prices, need of heating/AC, cooking at home (your stove uses much more electricity than almost anything else). 

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 hours ago, Caroline said:

I just cried for you 😞

Are you on dialup?  

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

On 11/30/2021 at 1:38 AM, Blue4130 said:

Uhhh using the internet doesn't really use that much more electricity. Maybe a few watts. Having these computer on and running uses the electricity. When you aren't actively using it, either put it to sleep or turn it off. 

Thats the thing, whenever its not being used, it always gets shut down

On 11/30/2021 at 2:01 AM, emosun said:

what was the actual increase over the previous month and is it linear with the wattage the machine uses?

Don't know exactly what the increase was, because my dad just came in and said the electricity bill was "through the roof'. The PSU is 550W 80+ Bronze

On 11/30/2021 at 2:47 AM, Caroline said:

Not too sure what the increase as because my dad just told me the bill was through the roof, but i think it might have been the thing as you, I would leave my PC on for a couple of hours to download some stuff, but otherwise it gets shut down when its not being used

13 minutes ago, MesZa said:

Don't know exactly what the increase was, because my dad just came in and said the electricity bill was "through the roof'. The PSU is 550W 80+ Bronze

I'd ask him what through the roof means, because a single pc will not drastically raise the electric bill, even when under load. 

Here are a couple examples. One is 8 hours per day and the other is 24hours. This calculation is a pc constantly drawing 300w. That would be a 5600x and a 2080ti under full load. 

Screenshot_2021-12-01-07-34-27-611_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

Screenshot_2021-12-01-07-34-37-914_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

15 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

I literally have a lighting fixture that consumes 1.1kwh an hour.  The cost of replacement though doesn't really justify going green though [as it requires a ladder, and not sure it can support the additional weight of that many LED bulbs]

LOL, the weight is negligible between incandescents and LEDs.  You need an electrician. 

1 hour ago, MesZa said:

And it probably has nothing to do with your PC, but this is a very common thing for boomers to believe. My condolences. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

some eletricity deals are shady though, sometimes they change price when there is higher demand like in winter or use a different source that is more costly.

Or like with phone subscriptions has been before, after x amount they might charge more.

How about your monitor? 

TV? 

Speakers? 

RGB bedframe? 

Dehumidifier? 

Humidifier? 

Charging cubes? 

Anything that's plugged in is drawing power continuously and it all adds up.  If you're spending more time in your room with all the tech and whatnot then your usage goes up. 

Your dad really just wants you to get a job and help with the house.