whats your favorite keyboard shortcut?

adarw

I’ve just discovered the Snap Windows shortcut [Windows Key+Left/Right Arrow], which is pretty nifty.

My fave ones have been assigned to mouse buttons: Refresh [F5] (Mouse wheel Left), Full Screen [F11] (Mouse wheel Right), Back [Alt+Left Arrow] (Mouse side button 4), Forward [Alt+Right Arrow] (Mouse side button 5), Minimize All [Windows Key+M] (Mouse wheel click), Copy [CTRL+C] (Mouse side button 7) & Paste [CTRL+V] (Mouse side button 8).

Oh & I’ve also added Sleep & Shut Down to a couple of G Keys on the keyboard (via Macros).

16 minutes ago, adarw said:

please say what it does.

mine is control-w, deletes the tab your on.

Ctrl + W to close a tab and Ctrl + T to open a new tab. Use them all of the time.

Ctrl + <number> to switch to that specific tab in your browser window. 

Also Alt + F4. Spam that a few times to quickly close everything and open the Shut Down Windows menu to power down my work laptop for the day. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Control + Option + C

macOS, btw. And this is a shortcut for a 3rd party window tiling app, it aligns the current window to the exact center of my screen

For a built in shortcut,

Control+ any of the arrow keys.

Up arrow- Opens Exposé

Down, shows all windows of a particular app

Right/Left - Switch work space.

I'm a simple man

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Ctrl + F

you probably already know what it is,

It's very useful when looking through a datasheet (imo)

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

Win Shift S - take a screenshot of a selected area, and copy that to the clipboard. Honestly, that is the single most shortcut I use, it's REALLY helpful.

Win D - Handy when I just want to open a file on my desktop

Win Ctrl left and right - to switch between desktops.

Not exactly keyboard shortcut, middle click on a tab to close it

Ctrl Home - to get to the beginning of the text

Ctrl End - handy when I just went editing a word or two into my post and want to get back to the end

Cmd: 

Ctrl shift c - copy

Shift Insert - paste

(I realized these were some shortcuts a few months back, until then I right clicked on the window title bar, then edit and then paste, lol I'm an idiot)

EDIT: 

Forum shortcut - Ctrl Enter to submit your post, easy to submit without having to reach for your mouse

Edited by RockSolid1106
On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

14 minutes ago, Ralfi said:

How could I forget this. It’s rocketed up my most used list in the past year or so!

Just don't update to Windows 11 just yet until they fix Snipping Tool... because that shortcut currently does nothing last time I checked. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Win + L; used to put my computer to sleep whenever I left the room, now I just lock it if I'll be gone for a short period of time.

2 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Ctrl+shift+n

Ctrl + Shift + P for Firefox. My second favorite shortcut.

40 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Just don't update to Windows 11 just yet until they fix Snipping Tool... because that shortcut currently does nothing last time I checked. 

Works on my end. Either it was fixed, or it doesn't affect everyone.

2 hours ago, RockSolid1106 said:

Win Shift S - take a screenshot of a selected area, and copy that to the clipboard. Honestly, that is the single most shortcut I use, it's REALLY helpful.

Om macOS, it's Command + Shift + (control, if you want to copy to clipboard +) 3 (for whole desktop)/ 4 (for a selected portion). And if you choose the shortcut for the selection of a portion of the screen, and you hover over a window and press the space bar and then click it, it'll ss the window alone.

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

cmd+space: spotlight, absolute favorite, need to quickly calculate i e 657/9, find and launch an app, find a document use "cmd+space"

other often used

ctrl+eject: shut down menu

cmd+q: quit window/app currently in focus

cmd+shift+4: take a screen shot of a selection 

cmd+ctrl+space: selection of special characters and emoji like the following μ𝜑³²™η©‱ 

cmd+backspace: send file to trashcan

cmd+shift+backspace: empty trashcan

Special mention used to annoy people in tech forums is "option+a" gives a: 

EDIT:// On windows the most used shortcuts are

Win+E: launch a file explorer window

Win+shift+S: tace a screen shot of a selection

Alt+F4: kill stuff

ctrl+c - copy

ctrl+x - cut

ctrl+v - paste

ctrl+a - select all

ctrl+z - undo

ctrl+f - find

win+r - run

shift-tab - reverse tab direction

alt+k - quickly find names typed into the "to" line in Outlook

i recently learned about Win + D for instant exit to desktop and I love it

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: XPG D10 White 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storages: 1x512GB Intel 760P M.2 NVME(boot drive)
1x2TB Umax M1500 Gen4 M.2 NVME(Game storage)
1x1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage)
1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM CMR drive
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310
Flight stick: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS 3 pack

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Value: $308
  • Games owned: 229
  • Games played: 163 (71%)
  • Hours on record: 4,976.9h

Win+Ctrl+Shift+B

Has come in handy when benching 3D.

33 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Win+Ctrl+Shift+B

I'm a goofy. I should explain what it does?!

Win+Ctrl+Shift+B will reset the Video card driver sub system.

Can be helpful when in game and the driver crashes but doesn't recover from the overclock.

CTRL-V

You can get all the stuff from "Printscreen" and "alt+PrintScreen"

(alt-PrintScreen takes copy of the active window)

I edit my posts more often than not

Command+R, Reloads tab on chrome/other browsers on mac. 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

Ctrl+Shift+T to recover the previously closed tab on Google Chrome. 

Also, holding Ctrl+LMB (Left Mouse Button) to open a link into a new tab. Say a thread and you want it to open in a new tab and not open on the tab you want to open right now. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

58 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Win+Ctrl+Shift+B

Dude you literally froze up my PC for like 10 seconds and I had no idea of what was happening cuz I didn't read the next reply

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

22 hours ago, IPD said:

ctrl+c - copy

ctrl+x - cut

ctrl+v - paste

ctrl+a - select all

ctrl+z - undo

ctrl+f - find

Why one or more of these is not the answer for everyone here is confusing to me. I agree that there are other useful shortcuts, but these are the indispensable ones.

I'm guessing they're seen as "too obvious" but that's like saying that the Master Ball isn't the best pokéball. It's the obvious choice, so kinda boring, but that's because it's obviously the best.

Just now, RockSolid1106 said:

Dude you literally froze up my PC for like 10 seconds and I had no idea of what was happening cuz I didn't read the next reply

I never understood it even when I was on Windows 10 doing benchmarks. It literally did nothing on my system- so I say "The Most Useless Shortcut". 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

No you froze it up. I didn't tell you to hit those keys lol. That's was all you. 

But you'll have to reset your overclock now.... haha.