whats your favorite keyboard shortcut?

adarw
11 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Also, holding Ctrl+LMB (Left Mouse Button) to open a link into a new tab. Say a thread and you want it to open in a new tab and not open on the tab you want to open right now. 

or you can just press the scroll button.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

2 minutes ago, adarw said:

Center mouse button opens a link in a new tab?!

*Goes to desktop to confirm*

Well I'll be darned... I guess this is my new thing I learned today.

5 minutes ago, adarw said:

That too, but my scroll wheel button is sensitive as it's a G502 SE. I already have a RMA replacement but I'm gonna use this until it dies eventually. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

17 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Why one or more of these is not the answer for everyone here is confusing to me. I agree that there are other useful shortcuts, but these are the indispensable ones.

I'm guessing they're seen as "too obvious" but that's like saying that the Master Ball isn't the best pokéball. It's the obvious choice, so kinda boring, but that's because it's obviously the best.

Alt+K completely changes your life if you're constantly trying to contact new/different people in your organization's outlook.

I'm actually puzzled why "basic computer use", including various keyboard shortcuts, isn't a part of job introduction training for most places of work.  I had to show my wife some shortcuts a while back, and saved her a literal 5 minutes of drag-click in excel.  Every time she had to do it.  Got knows how much manpower time is lost to things like that.

Just now, IPD said:

Alt+K completely changes your life if you're constantly trying to contact new/different people in your organization's outlook.

I don't use Outlook, but if I was constantly emailing dozens of people at once, that might be something I'd use regularly.

The only non-browser based email client I use is GMail on my phone. Otherwise, I use the websites for GMail and Outlook/Live/Hotmail/MSN/Whatever-Microsoft-Is-Calling-It-In-Current-Year. I don't have to deal with e-mail at work, although sometimes I wish we'd just use e-mail instead of the fun applications they make us use...

Also "asdfgh" - best password ever.

I edit my posts more often than not

Hmmm interesting. 

Option+A did not give the same result on my work Windows computer as on my Mac. Windows seem to interpet it to be the icelandic letter ”Edd”. 

2 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

Center mouse button opens a link in a new tab?!

*Goes to desktop to confirm*

Well I'll be darned... I guess this is my new thing I learned today.

btw you can delete tbs with it aswell.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

42 minutes ago, adarw said:

btw you can delete tbs with it aswell.

Funnily enough, that I knew. I use that to delete tabs all the time, but I never knew it could be used to open background tabs.

On 11/21/2021 at 5:56 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Just don't update to Windows 11 just yet until they fix Snipping Tool... because that shortcut currently does nothing last time I checked. 

Wait really? It works for us. Though we have it as Print Screen / Win + Print Screen instead of Win + Shift + S

✨FNIGE✨

Spacebar - pause/play

My media pc experience would be deleterious without this function.

Surprised to not see this yet.

I have clipboard history enabled in Windows, and WIN + V to paste what I have previously copied is huge timesaver for me.

Sometimes I if I need it, I copy more than 4-5 things at once, and can then paste them as needed. When Working with colour codes, this is extremely helpful.

⌘ + Space

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Win + Alt + B = Toggle HDR on/off

So far only works on W11 afaik. It's a lifesaver when you have an HDR display and don't want the drawbacks of just leaving HDR enabled all the time.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Numlock = enables god mode. 

Spoiler

I kid, I kid 👀

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/24/2021 at 5:28 PM, The89Lunder said:

Surprised to not see this yet.

I have clipboard history enabled in Windows, and WIN + V to paste what I have previously copied is huge timesaver for me.

Sometimes I if I need it, I copy more than 4-5 things at once, and can then paste them as needed. When Working with colour codes, this is extremely helpful.

Its really handy for screenshots too. I use win shift s or snipping tool to take screenshots quickly, of some charts or other stuff in meetings, then forget to actually save it, and win v comes in REALLY handy there.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

On 11/23/2021 at 3:41 PM, YoungBlade said:

Why one or more of these is not the answer for everyone here is confusing to me. I agree that there are other useful shortcuts, but these are the indispensable ones.

I never really liked these shortcuts, v for paste - why...

And then I did a lot of hex editing, and there you cannot copy paste, you gotta erase and type... otherwise its not going to work,  so when I copy delete etc something now I use mouse right click... easier to not get confused when hex editing for me...

On 11/24/2021 at 3:21 AM, IPD said:

Spacebar - pause/play

Sure, for youtube or something, but for some apps like wmp, my fav media player, it doesn't work , so this comes in handy, oldie but goldie!

: p

IMG_20211125_152613.thumb.jpg.e86f4a3a09373b451b3c0ae694342610.jpg

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I never really liked these shortcuts, v for paste - why...

And then I did a lot of hex editing, and there you cannot copy paste, you gotta erase and type... otherwise its not going to work,  so when I copy delete etc something now I use mouse right click... easier to not get confused when hex editing for me...

It's V for paste because it's right next to C, so you can quickly do Ctrl-C then Ctrl-V. It's also helpful that those are easy to reach with just the left hand, so you can use your mouse to choose where/what you are copying and pasting. If you have to copy and paste a lot in documents and use the QWERTY layout, this becomes obvious and you soon realize that it was a brilliant UX decision. Having Cut be X is for similar reasons.

There are always going to be certain applications that are exceptions. Reddit has also had a bug for a while that if you paste anything into a reply, it will break the text box. But that's not an issue with the shortcut itself, but rather a poor implementation by the developer. You can code in a shortcut for an application just as easily as you can code in a right-click menu.

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

And then I did a lot of hex editing, and there you cannot copy paste, you gotta erase and type...

I sometimes need to use HxD to edit game .exe files for ultrawide support. I can copy and paste in there just fine.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.