The most useless pc breakthrough?

Bronese

oh ok...

And a little over dramatic.

But seriously. I do that when I'm bored.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Breakthroughs are by definition significant. Do you perhaps mean technologies?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Thunderbolt.

Touted by Intel and Apple as "the best thing evar", they made it so you have to have an integrated GPU for it to work. What does Intel's own enthusiast/extreme high end LGA 2011 line up not have? Oh, integrated graphics. So basically what Intel said was "we made this awesome thing that'd be great for professionals", then followed up with "but you can only get it on a few very specific consumer-grade motherboards on LGA 115x, not the LGA 2011 motherboards designed for professionals".

At this point presumably Apple were facepalming when it came to the new mac pro, which would have to use LGA 2011 in order to get better performance than its predecessor, but which could not easily be given Thunderbolt (which they had been banging on about for 18 months previously. They basically HAD to give it Thunderbolt after all the hype they created over it, so they produced the locked-down, everything-soldered-on abomination that we see today by integrating the GPUs to make Thunderbolt work on LGA 2011. As far as I'm concerned, the entire design of the mac pro was based around the need to get Thunderbolt to work on LGA 2011, all the other design aspects were an attempt to make the best of a bad situation.

Thunderbolt.

-snip-

An interesting read. I'd presumed that thunderbolt was pcie bandwidth. It's kind of a chicken and the egg situation. Why make products for tb when it's rarely used and why put tb on a mobo when there aren't any products and it's expensive

Break-through... :)

punch.jpgpunch-comp.jpg

He broke through so hard the table disappeared?

Hey.

Low powered gpus...if you call that a breakthrough...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Draws back right hand, left hand through screen...

That is tactical punching mate...lol... :lol:  

Pentium 4.

P6 ftw.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Intergrated graphics on high end cpu. Atleast have an sku that does not have it so gamers can get better cpu at lower price

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

the track ball mouse was useless to game with. The mouse with the ball on top of it was crap.

Micro USB pisses me off.

Tiny front panel header pins. Why isn't it the same for every board then cases can use just a solid connector.

I dont think anything considered a "breakthrough" was ever useless xD 

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

5.25 bay toasters. 

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

Mantle might end up being one of these if developers don't jump on the bandwagon to make games that use it. 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

plastic.

its cheap. and trashy looking

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1