The Anti-iPhone

4 hours ago, poochyena said:

You can get a battery bank of literally any size you want. Here is one basically the size of a phone battery https://smile.amazon.com/10000mah-Portable-External-Powerbank-Compatible/dp/B07NTDK5LD/ref=sr_1_11?

So why would I want to carry around a battery for my phone, when I could carry around a battery bank for my phone + any other electronic device I have or may switch to in the future?

The small wallet sized power banks are only going to charge a phone once, maybe another emergency charge.

I like power banks for in case i need to charge my phone and can't plug in a charger, but a phone with a replaceable battery is much better IMO.

4 hours ago, poochyena said:

Thats another reason I don't really care about fairphone. Its not really modular like framework laptops are, for example.

The fairphone is about as modular as a smartphone can get, everything is still replaceable, still unfortunate Fairphone can't provide schematics, that could be due them using off the shelf components and someone might sue Fairphone if schematics are made available. And I still want a phone with a headphone jack, it's weird the phone doesn't have one as a 3.5mm jack could be a modular part, or made part of the USB-C port module.

3 hours ago, Jaesop said:

Or pretty much anyone?

Samsung A series have a 3.5mm jack, iirc Nokia and Motorola still include headphone jacks on some of their phones.

15 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The small wallet sized power banks are only going to charge a phone once

uuuuuhhhhhhhhh

yea?
Do you think a 2nd battery will keep a phone charged for longer or something?

16 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

but a phone with a replaceable battery is much better IMO.

how? In what possible way?

41 minutes ago, hishnash said:

This is not quite fair, iPhones are not put together that badly at all, if you look at iFixit teardown they tend to complement for not using glue (at all) and using a LOT of screws (many devices they teardown end up having some glue within them). yes theses screws are differs sizes etc but they are screws and not glue even the battery is not glued in but attached using sticky strips you an pull on to remove.  

The only hard part about tearing down an iPhone is getting through the water-dust seal and that is to be expected if you want that level of water protection you can't do it with a simple rubber seal. 

Those screws are pointless when there isn't anything replaceable in an iphone, because apple purposely serializes every component that can wear or be damaged to the motherboard to stop the user from fixing their own phone. And with the iphone 13 the screen is tied to the phone, even if you swap it out from another brand new phone, faceID, auto brightness and the selfie and cinematic camera modes won't work correctly, the battery health display is also disabled for some reason. So yeah that is a bad build in terms of being able to fix anything.

A glued in screen is unacceptable for any manufacturer, you shouldn't need a hot plate and picks, or screwdrivers for proprietary screws to disassemble a phone. And a silicone seal works fine for making a USB-C or headphone jack water resistant, so should work for sealing the display to the phone frame.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

because apple purposely serializes every component that can wear or be damaged to the motherboard to stop the user from fixing their own phone.

The only components you can't replace out that then don't work is the faceID (or touchID) with modern phones you can replace the screen without damaging these.  The report of the 13 braking the faceid on screen swaps are false people have done screen replacements. The only thing that will not work (without calibration software that unfornatly is not shared) is the adaptive colour mode (auto screen brightness does work) replacing the screen does not effect the camera or faceID (as long as you keep the faceID from the old phone.  

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

A glued in screen is unacceptable for any manufacturer, you shouldn't need a hot plate and picks, or screwdrivers for proprietary screws to disassemble a phone. And a silicone seal works fine for making a USB-C or headphone jack water resistant, so should work for sealing the display to the phone frame.

Size, the seal on a port or headphone jack can be deep (multiple millimetres deep) to do that with the screen that would take up a LOT of space! Every phone that has good water/dust resistance does this since this is such a large seal to make it work (without adding 3 to 5mm to the phone) is impossible. The only alternative would be to fill the phone with glue (so that when water gets in it can't hit any hardware but that is a lot lot worse). 

Remember having good water resistance saves way more phones from e-wast than having easy to open phones that end up with nasty corotion on the internals likely killing multiple parts in one go.

11 hours ago, Jarek_D said:

Hi 

Just had reply about to contact you about some sort prize. Is this genuine message from LTT or scam? 

defn a scam 

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

15 hours ago, Middcore said:

and now people have the more "premium-feeling" devices they said they wanted (which as often as not they cover in some obnoxiously chunky Otterbox-esque case anyway). 

Ain't that the goddamn truth. Always makes me laugh to see people talking about how svelte their device is while wrapping it in a chunky af case.

6 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Those screws are pointless when there isn't anything replaceable in an iphone, because apple purposely serializes every component that can wear or be damaged to the motherboard to stop the user from fixing their own phone. And with the iphone 13 the screen is tied to the phone, even if you swap it out from another brand new phone, faceID, auto brightness and the selfie and cinematic camera modes won't work correctly, the battery health display is also disabled for some reason. So yeah that is a bad build in terms of being able to fix anything.

please take some mechanical engineering classes

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

I think that you missed an extremely important aspect about the fairphone when comparing it to the Pixel 5. The Pixel 5 has bigger battery, almost the same display size and all of its features while being over 70 grams lighter, over 15mm shorter and almost 3mm thinner. 

This is the main reason why phones are not repairable today. Repairability increases bulk, material costs etc. and also doesn't really work with edge-to-edge displays because of battery life etc.

Density, which is how modern electronics are able to be so good, is unfortunately the opposite of being modular and repairable. 

9127FE25-6DB1-4A6D-973C-0DCDF82AD8BE.jpeg

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

8 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

but a phone with a replaceable battery is much better IMO.

Yep nothing like having to swap the batteries over again to charge the second one instead of just plugging in a powerbank to a usb. 

The price of this is just insane, I literally paid 1/4 of this for my Oppo phone.

25 minutes ago, maskmcgee said:

Yep nothing like having to swap the batteries over again to charge the second one instead of just plugging in a powerbank to a usb. 

The price of this is just insane, I literally paid 1/4 of this for my Oppo phone.

You do realize Oppo (or any other stuff churned out from BBK's tentacles) is disposable trash for which vendor doesn't care about the moment you buy it? They literally sprinkle some updates for their devices with some BS arbitrary standards otherwise people would eat them alive. You just can't compare that to Fairphone.

If all you care is the amount of specs on paper relative to money you spend for it, then clearly Fairphone hasn't ever been on your radar and never will be.

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

ou do realize Oppo (or any other stuff churned out from BBK's tentacles) is disposable trash

Lasted longer and is far better preforming than my last Samsung phone, from 2020, for double the price. 

It dosen't matter if it disposable trash when it's dirt cheap and works perfectly.

Just now, maskmcgee said:

Lasted longer and is far better preforming than my last Samsung phone, from 2020, for double the price. 

It dosen't matter if it disposable trash when it's dirt cheap and works perfectly.

Again, it's that way because their MO is making money no matter what.

My Honor 9 Lite's battery is dying on me, can't go a day without 2/3 recharges. Awful. I wish its battery was easily swappable since I'm still happy with its performance but the battery life is just so annoying to deal with.

3 hours ago, just_dave said:

This is the main reason why phones are not repairable today. Repairability increases bulk, material costs etc. and also doesn't really work with edge-to-edge displays because of battery life etc.

waterproofing too. I think thats the main reason for it. Repairability doesn't mean much if your whole phone dies from a small amount of water.

32 minutes ago, AldiPrayogi said:

My Honor 9 Lite's battery is dying on me, can't go a day without 2/3 recharges. Awful. I wish its battery was easily swappable since I'm still happy with its performance but the battery life is just so annoying to deal with.

well a lot of phones you "can" kind of swap the battery. although for some, you either have to deal with backside glass which will break or going through the screen and maybe breaking it too. (which means replacing more than the battery and worse water proofing, although some has some good glue/sealing stuff one can buy).

15 hours ago, poochyena said:

uuuuuhhhhhhhhh

yea?
Do you think a 2nd battery will keep a phone charged for longer or something?

Yes because you can swap in a new battery.

15 hours ago, poochyena said:

how? In what possible way?

Again you can replace the battery when you want to, after 1-2 years the battery will degrade depending on usage, which means more charging, so you'll need a power bank to charge the phone more than once a day.

6 hours ago, maskmcgee said:

The price of this is just insane, I literally paid 1/4 of this for my Oppo phone

Before every other manufacturer sealed in batteries, chargers existed that you could plug a phone battery into, like a camera battery charger.

And I wasn't even aware Oppo still made phones, they really don't make anything that stands out from other brands that have better hardware or more updates.

5 hours ago, poochyena said:

waterproofing too. I think thats the main reason for it. Repairability doesn't mean much if your whole phone dies from a small amount of water.

I don't know of any phone that is truly waterproof, the water resistance is diminished eventually as the glue won't seal as well when the phone was brand new. There is so much marketing from phone companies telling you to go play with a $1200 phone in water, and that waterproofing doesn't mean much if water still damages components but the phone is sealed shut with glue.

8 hours ago, just_dave said:

The Pixel 5 has bigger battery, almost the same display size and all of its features while being over 70 grams lighter, over 15mm shorter and almost 3mm thinner. 

That's what the manufacturers want you to believe. Water resistance, replaceable components and some degree of modularity could be easily achievable (not to the same degree as a Fairphone of course). And nobody cares about 1 mm of additional thickness. It gets even more ironic if you take a look at the official cases and accessories for modern smartphones. I could just plop-off the back of my Note 3 and replace it with a flip cover adding 2 mm of thickness. Nowadays the official flip cover for the S21 will make the device as chunky as mobile phone from the 80s.

38 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Yes because you can swap in a new battery.

Explain that math to me, how the battery bank I linked will keep a phone alive for less time than swapping the battery.

41 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

after 1-2 years the battery will degrade depending on usage, which means more charging, so you'll need a power bank to charge the phone more than once a day.

I don't get your point here. Ok, your battery degrades after 1-2 years, how is switching the battery better than using a battery bank?

10 hours ago, just_dave said:

I think that you missed an extremely important aspect about the fairphone when comparing it to the Pixel 5. The Pixel 5 has bigger battery, almost the same display size and all of its features while being over 70 grams lighter, over 15mm shorter and almost 3mm thinner. 

While the Fairphone is bulky, phones didn't really get any smaller/lighter than when they were more repairable. Most phones from 2015 or so are about the same size and weight as current "small" phones.

6 hours ago, poochyena said:

Samsung Galaxy S5 had IP67, which while lower than many modern phones, should be more than enough to protect against most water accidents, and certainly more than enough to protect against a small amount of water.

I wonder if including mentions of child labour, conflict minerals and abusive wages will make further appearances in LTT videos.

Poor Anthony; he tried.

9 minutes ago, Rex Hite said:

I wonder if including mentions of child labour, conflict minerals and abusive wages will make further appearances in LTT videos.

Poor Anthony; he tried.

about what? and child labour can be "debatable", depending on the labor and place. while forced labor and abusive labor can be a bit different. even though such work would maybe have more exploitation behind it. and as many big companies have done, accepted some of this (from shoes to creating phones etc). but if there is something you want to clarify about their busines model or around fairphone? what are you focusing on, and if you state that they might be lying in some of their marketing?

"Up-to Android 15", yes they're just going to conveniently ignore the fact that Google (and indirectly Qualcomn) does have a history of arbitrarily preventing manufacturers from providing updates to their phones with the newest version...

It's funny how everyone always complains about "hurr durr, why are android manufacturers so bad in terms of length of software support" yet you then have Google preventing certification for manufacturers that do try whilst Qualcomn twiddles their thumbs and not provide vital driver updates. Not to be a pessimist but I have doubts they'll live to the promise of "up-to Android 15" as they're heavily reliant on Google and Qualcomn not making it impossible.

To be honest, this feel like Sony 2014-ish to 2018 all over again. Tried to push for a third major OS upgrade (literally multiple beta versions), to only then get shot-down by Google. Now their mobile division is too small to even participate in the beta programs however, at least they do still indirectly support older phones via their open device programme. It provides an unlocked bootlocker, a first-party flashtool and the key bit, AOSP binaries. This means even phones from 2016 still have indirect manufacturer support. Yes, not as ideal as actual first party but I'd argue any device that can go from Android 7.1 to 11 with some kind of manufacturer support is definitely not bad at all. 

This is probably why Apple can get 5~ years of updates so easily. They aren't reliant on a third-party as they have control over both software and hardware. 

As for the hardware, seems decent enough but it is significantly more expensive than a similarly specced device with a lot of downsides.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

If it is underspecced today, why would I even want to use it five years from now?

I'm already considering switching from a phone to a tablet, just to get more screen. Folding phones would be great, but I'm not paying that kind of money on a device I can expect to be obsolete within a few years.

Also, my experience with the modern web is that a few years from now I'll be needing a faster device anyway to not have my experience be terrible.

On 10/12/2021 at 3:24 AM, Jaesop said:

Or pretty much anyone?

It's very hard to find a phone without one in the ACTUAL budget part of smartphones. A whole bunch have them in phones under 350$ which is where a lot of people buy.

And it's not just the lesser known brands. You have big bois like Samsung, Nokia, Xiaomi, Motorola, OPPO,... because they know it is still a very decisive feature for people and since competition is fierce in the lower end market you need to have everything the person shopping wants.

It's also why ir blasters and all that stuff still shows up on a bunch of cheaper models but rarely if ever on a higher end phone.