The Anti-iPhone

On 10/13/2021 at 9:10 AM, jaslion said:

It's very hard to find a phone without one in the ACTUAL budget part of smartphones. A whole bunch have them in phones under 350$ which is where a lot of people buy.

And it's not just the lesser known brands. You have big bois like Samsung, Nokia, Xiaomi, Motorola, OPPO,... because they know it is still a very decisive feature for people and since competition is fierce in the lower end market you need to have everything the person shopping wants.

It's also why ir blasters and all that stuff still shows up on a bunch of cheaper models but rarely if ever on a higher end phone.

Maybe, but this phone isn't in the price range you're citing.

On 10/12/2021 at 1:20 AM, Blademaster91 said:

Samsung A series have a 3.5mm jack, iirc Nokia and Motorola still include headphone jacks on some of their phones.

One of these companies is relevant. But yes, cheaper models do sometimes still include them.

3 hours ago, Jaesop said:

Maybe, but this phone isn't in the price range you're citing.

Doesn't matter.

Paying more shouldn't mean you get less

This phone got me going "ok, and...?". Its price is ridiculous for the specs it offers. Design is dated and I never liked the teardrop. Reminds me of an early version OnePlus or more like a Google Pixel. The fact that they sell replacement jack, vibrator or speaker for tens to hundreds of euros is absurd. I've yet to have needed to repair a decent quality phone. Only mobile device I have required to repair is Asus ZenFone 2. I got metal shards into its speaker and SIM card reader went faulty after two years. No such issues with Apple devices my family members own nor with my S10E.

To me these devices are only there to bash on others (read Apple, because that's cool) and just milk on the haters. In reality majority of the consumers are not going to repair their device themselves nor ever. Whether it be from not requiring to do so or they are willing to upgrade by that time anyways. Only people I see buying these are fanboys. Almost 600 euros for a phone that has medicore specs and its only selling point is "it's repairable". Also, as someone else here already mentioned, who the hell uses philips head screws??!!!!

On 10/13/2021 at 7:57 PM, just_dave said:

That's what they want you to believe!!!!1111 The government doesn't tell you that frogs are gay!!!111 Share this before they delete it and stick to your tinfoil hat!!11!!

What are you talking about? Have you ever seen the inside of an iPhone? It's fully modular. Or a Galaxy or a Pixel.

It's absolutely adequately modular, it just requires some tools and skill, not unga bunga bare hands like the Fairphone. I don't see any issue with that.

The problem is software component pairing, parts exclusivity/unavailability and manufacturers' desire to make the repair arbitrarily complicated.

The iPhone has for a very long time had the most modular and repairable mechanical structure. It's easy to open up and very easy to replace critical components (battery, screen). Android phones are much worse in this regard (except for some recent Pixels). 

However, Apple in Tim Cook's infinite profit wisdom decided to serialize all of the components, so even though they are super easy to swap, they won't work.

That is the real issue. 1 simple software update would make the iPhone go from unrepairable to best-in-class to repair.

Agree. iPhones are literally designed as modules, not a single unit. Though the hardware locking is necessary for security related components. Unfortunately people cannot understand that if you want security, you also get these "inconveniences"

On 10/15/2021 at 2:12 AM, jaslion said:

Doesn't matter.

Paying more shouldn't mean you get less

Okay. I'm comparing it to phones in it's range though.

19 hours ago, Just that Mario said:

Agree. iPhones are literally designed as modules, not a single unit. Though the hardware locking is necessary for security related components. Unfortunately people cannot understand that if you want security, you also get these "inconveniences"

You can absolutely have security without completely locked down hardware.

6 hours ago, Jaesop said:

Okay. I'm comparing it to phones in it's range though.

And I'm comparing it to all phones and if it means that a cheaper device literally can physically do more than a more expensive device then what are you paying for? Sure you get better quality stuff sometimes but still getting less features for a higher price is just not ok. Never has never will be.

Just because someone starts removing things from a device to make it seem more premium (whilst it really isn't) doesn't mean it's ok for others to do so too. Other companies flat out prove they can totally still add all that stuff but actively choose not to.

On 10/11/2021 at 8:41 PM, whm1974 said:

Not having a head phone is silly. What are they Apple? This is way overpriced for not only me, but the vast majority of people. ~$200 is the most I'm willing to pay for something that is easily lost or stolen.

That's the problem. Manufacturing it ethically is expensive. People want ethical products, but don't want to pay the price associated to that.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

20 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

That's the problem. Manufacturing it ethically is expensive. People want ethical products, but don't want to pay the price associated to that.

People want cheap stuff and plausible deniability to be able to pretend that they want ethical products. 

Otherwise selling indulgences would be a modern business model. Or I guess carbon credits are exactly that. 

1 hour ago, Bramimond said:

People want cheap stuff and plausible deniability to be able to pretend that they want ethical products. 

Otherwise selling indulgences would be a modern business model. Or I guess carbon credits are exactly that. 

Oh please, quite a Companies do have providing Modern Day Indulgences as a nice profitable business model.

In Asia there is a Feline-Like Species that loves to eat Coffee Beans. The Fruit around the bean is digested then the seeds are shitted out. The Natives take the Feces and clean the beans. After all of that, they are sold to Silly Westerners who pay ~$100+ a bag.

The people who buy into the Plivage of drinking Cat Shit actually believe that this overprice coffee is gathered in the Wild...

3 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Oh please, quite a Companies do have providing Modern Day Indulgences as a nice profitable business model.

[...] After all of that, they are sold to Silly Westerners who pay ~$100+ a bag.

How is that a modern version of an indulgence, exactly?

An indulgence is paying the church off for the sins you've committed. Or slightly rephrased for modern sensibilities, it's the pay2sin model. 

On 10/18/2021 at 6:00 AM, jaslion said:
On 10/17/2021 at 11:33 PM, Jaesop said:

And I'm comparing it to all phones

That's cool man, but you responded to me lol

On 10/18/2021 at 11:14 AM, Bramimond said:

How is that a modern version of an indulgence, exactly?

An indulgence is paying the church off for the sins you've committed. Or slightly rephrased for modern sensibilities, it's the pay2sin model. 

Those who went to Liberal Arts Colleges to tend to feel guilty about living in Western Nations with High Living Standards. So they buy stuff to feel good about themselves. They do this by believing that the natives in poorer nations go and wild harvest Civet Coffee beans from the shit...

12 hours ago, Jaesop said:

That's cool man, but you responded to me lol

Yes I'm aware of that

14 hours ago, jaslion said:

Yes I'm aware of that

Cool. So you understand why the context of what I'm saying is important, whereas you making an entirely different point isn't relevant to my comment.

7 hours ago, Jaesop said:

Cool. So you understand why the context of what I'm saying is important, whereas you making an entirely different point isn't relevant to my comment.

You are comparing premium phones to eachother which isn't a category in and of it self. All those phones are still just regular old smartphones doing the same thing.

My point is that you shouldn't let the premium part mean you get less than a budget or mid range device. Thus I compare ALL devices instead of just the top end.

On 10/21/2021 at 4:31 AM, jaslion said:

You are comparing premium phones to eachother which isn't a category in and of it self

Premium, or flagship,  phones are 100% a category. That's how we're able to address them as such.

My point is that you shouldn't let the premium part mean you get less than a budget or mid range device.

Entirely separate discussion.

On 10/18/2021 at 6:34 AM, Jaesop said:

You can absolutely have security without completely locked down hardware.

Not if that hardware is the centre of the security system.

13 hours ago, Just that Mario said:

Not if that hardware is the center of the security system.

I mean... still yeah, you can.

On 10/24/2021 at 2:44 AM, Jaesop said:

I mean... still yeah, you can.

No, you can not. If your lock on the door gets replaced or removed, your house is no longer "locked".

On 10/25/2021 at 1:55 AM, Just that Mario said:

No, you can not. If your lock on the door gets replaced or removed, your house is no longer "locked".

Very astute observation, but nothing to do with what we're talking about since the hardware isn't something physical to be bypassed.

You can have security based on hardware without the hardware being locked down. It's not a new concept, just apparently a new concept to you. My PC hardware isn't locked down, yet if I use Secure Boot and encrypt my drive you're not getting into it.

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2021 at 9:43 AM, Just that Mario said:

This phone got me going "ok, and...?". Its price is ridiculous for the specs it offers. Design is dated and I never liked the teardrop. Reminds me of an early version OnePlus or more like a Google Pixel. The fact that they sell replacement jack, vibrator or speaker for tens to hundreds of euros is absurd. I've yet to have needed to repair a decent quality phone. Only mobile device I have required to repair is Asus ZenFone 2. I got metal shards into its speaker and SIM card reader went faulty after two years. No such issues with Apple devices my family members own nor with my S10E.

To me these devices are only there to bash on others (read Apple, because that's cool) and just milk on the haters. In reality majority of the consumers are not going to repair their device themselves nor ever. Whether it be from not requiring to do so or they are willing to upgrade by that time anyways. Only people I see buying these are fanboys. Almost 600 euros for a phone that has medicore specs and its only selling point is "it's repairable". Also, as someone else here already mentioned, who the hell uses philips head screws??!!!!

You're choosing to ignore the point about paying the factory workers a fair wage and supporting fair working conditions in general. This will innately increase the prices. But yeah, no one can force you to care in the slightest about your fellow man 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 9:28 AM, Jaesop said:

Very astute observation, but nothing to do with what we're talking about since the hardware isn't something physical to be bypassed.

You can have security based on hardware without the hardware being locked down. It's not a new concept, just apparently a new concept to you. My PC hardware isn't locked down, yet if I use Secure Boot and encrypt my drive you're not getting into it.

By that logic just adding a password or code would also be enough. Though I can easily remove your SSD and disable secure boot. Entire system is usable then.

On 10/11/2021 at 1:00 PM, GabenJr said:

Smartphones are notoriously unethical and extremely prone to becoming e-waste, but one company is looking to change all that… Can it be any good?

the anti iPhone:

Brand-new iPhone 11 Pro gets a stress test with a HAMMER - Buy, Sell or  Upload Video Content with Newsflare

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄