VA Vs IPS - Shoping for a new Monitor But there ALL VA'S !!!

Xelriel

Alright... I have spent about 4 days so far trying to pick out a new monitor... At first i went for an ultrawide, 120Htz or higher, 32 inch, IPS, 1ms... For around 300 - 480$ i could only find VA's.... A few IPS but not within spec range... Then i said, Okay, No Curve, More or less the same results... Then i said okay fine, Flat 32 inch, Same results more or less, Then 3/4ths the way through i found that VA's are alot better now in the mid range price then they used to be and then i find out the only difference between VA and IPS is Viewing Angle, And Contrast Levels, I've been using the Acer XF270HU for about two years now and wanted either a 32 inch monitor or a Ultrawide at 32Inches, But the Question is... Are VA's okay?

I have two Acer K272HL's which look horrible and are VA panels but im wondering since they were only 150$ each... if they are the lowest of the low in terms of VA...

~{ Xelriel }~

a good VA is or can be "better" than IPS.

It depends on both the quality of either IPS or VA.

At least you can expect certain quality or visuals from either in the higher range.

Lower range, VA in general for higher HZ is going to be a worse time and some difference in colors. As black smearing can become a thing, while IPS can have other issues like light bleed or other things and can have lower quality panels, this can be true for either in higher priced products too, so check reviews. else getting a TV with good specs can come in mind if you want to go big.

2 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

a good VA is or can be "better" than IPS.

It depends on both the quality of either IPS or VA.

At least you can expect certain quality or visuals from either in the higher range.

Lower range, VA in general for higher HZ is going to be a worse time and some difference in colors. As black smearing can become a thing, while IPS can have other issues like light bleed or other things and can have lower quality panels, this can be true for either in higher priced products too, so check reviews. else getting a TV with good specs can come in mind if you want to go big.

Hmmm... okay... This does help my mind a decent amount... Thank you very much for you input.

You have any Rec's for a gaming TV? I might look into them.

~{ Xelriel }~

You got the 48¨ OLED TV that LTT review once, but most of these "gaming" TV's often had their own issues or too expensive.

Like not having some of the required ports, how it deals with high refresh rate gaming (HZ/FPS).

But Mini-LED has becomed less rare and might become more normal if not everything goes more towards OLED (can sell for higher price etc).

While the whole Mini-LED thing is another expensive feature, it can be really good if you want HDR content to be watched or games that supports it.

Very unsure on the TV front.

Spoiler

newer OLED?

else the G7 from Samsung can sometimes be said to be a good VA panel. (see if any issues in reviews)

To something from LG like the 850 to 950 monitors, a few in that series but most if not all are good but less than 1000 IPS contrast and more towards 800 which isn't great less to no issues with them though (but always check pixels with new displays from anyone, like dead or stuck pixels on screen).

To certain MSI and so on, but these panels can change or recommendations of them. but just to name a few models.

Is VA okay? Depends what you'll use it for.

Most of VA UWs aren't bad, they have lower pixel response time and worse in black level but it's not too annoying at higher refresh rate. For a monitor they're the best for viewing content and darker lit games, and although colours may not beat IPS it is quite close. So yes, VA is okay.

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

8 hours ago, BuzzingBee said:

Is VA okay? Depends what you'll use it for.

Most of VA UWs aren't bad, they have lower pixel response time and worse in black level but it's not too annoying at higher refresh rate. For a monitor they're the best for viewing content and darker lit games, and although colours may not beat IPS it is quite close. So yes, VA is okay.

90% of the time it will be for gaming, the other 10% is media consumption and other misc things.

~{ Xelriel }~

12 hours ago, Xelriel said:

Alright... I have spent about 4 days so far trying to pick out a new monitor... At first i went for an ultrawide, 120Htz or higher, 32 inch, IPS, 1ms... For around 300 - 480$ i could only find VA's.... A few IPS but not within spec range... Then i said, Okay, No Curve, More or less the same results... Then i said okay fine, Flat 32 inch, Same results more or less, Then 3/4ths the way through i found that VA's are alot better now in the mid range price then they used to be and then i find out the only difference between VA and IPS is Viewing Angle, And Contrast Levels, I've been using the Acer XF270HU for about two years now and wanted either a 32 inch monitor or a Ultrawide at 32Inches, But the Question is... Are VA's okay?

I have two Acer K272HL's which look horrible and are VA panels but im wondering since they were only 150$ each... if they are the lowest of the low in terms of VA...

at that budget for ultrawide you are gonna find only VAs, you are basically paying for the size and refresh rate alone, 32inch ips just isn't very popular, and the panel performance ends up being alot worse than 27inch for whatever technical reason.

you can pay a bit more for the 32gp850-b at 540usd or stick with 27inch, 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1621998-REG/lg_32gp850_b_32_qhd_nano_ips.html

curved uw ips is gonna run u 800usd

Good VA panels might make up for the lower color gamut with higher contrast when compared to lower end ips.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

12 minutes ago, xg32 said:

at that budget for ultrawide you are gonna find only VAs, you are basically paying for the size and refresh rate alone, 32inch ips just isn't very popular, and the panel performance ends up being alot worse than 27inch for whatever technical reason.

you can pay a bit more for the 32gp850-b at 540usd or stick with 27inch, 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1621998-REG/lg_32gp850_b_32_qhd_nano_ips.html

curved uw ips is gonna run u 800usd

Good VA panels might make up for the lower color gamut with higher contrast when compared to lower end ips.

The price of that monitor you sent is not bad... I would still really like a Ultrawide but if at a 400$ price point they are bad VA panels then it's best i just stick to this 32 inch you found if i do not find any other options.

~{ Xelriel }~

yeah some of the ultra wide monitors either have issues, not the best panel or just cost more than having 3 or 2 monitors.

2 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

yeah some of the ultra wide monitors either have issues, not the best panel or just cost more than having 3 or 2 monitors.

Figures... so if i want a proper Ultrawide then i need to spend what.. 800$ + ?

~{ Xelriel }~

3 hours ago, Xelriel said:

Unless you want to get a VA and deal with black smearing and looking horrible in dark games. I play dead by daylight a lot and got a Monoprice dark matter 34 inch curved VA for $400 and it was bad. The contrast ratio was really good and that made the colors look awesome on it. The issue I had was panning the camera in game, the smearing and what I would call color shift was awful. The whole image wouldn't look right when moving the camera and I couldn't handle that. I went back to my 27 inch tn dell monitor.

I've been wanting to do an ultrawide but the pricing is crazy. Maybe the pricing will get decent in a few years but I can't justify dropping $800+ on a monitor

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

10 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

Unless you want to get a VA and deal with black smearing and looking horrible in dark games. I play dead by daylight a lot and got a Monoprice dark matter 34 inch curved VA for $400 and it was bad. The contrast ratio was really good and that made the colors look awesome on it. The issue I had was panning the camera in game, the smearing and what I would call color shift was awful. The whole image wouldn't look right when moving the camera and I couldn't handle that. I went back to my 27 inch tn dell monitor.

I've been wanting to do an ultrawide but the pricing is crazy. Maybe the pricing will get decent in a few years but I can't justify dropping $800+ on a monitor

That says a crap ton to me... I have three monitors in my cart ATM, A Curved VA, Flat Ultrawide IPS, And a 32 inch normal Screen with all the bells and whistles. I think ill get rid of the VA and choose between the Ultrawide IPS and the 32inch Bells and whistles. Here they are if your curious.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BG4GWRL/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0968QT6SS/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

~{ Xelriel }~

6 hours ago, Xelriel said:

90% of the time it will be for gaming, the other 10% is media consumption and other misc things.

Competitive gaming or casual gaming? If competitive then definitely look for IPS panels as it has faster response time and no blurring issues. Because of ridiculous IPS UW price, unless you're definitely willing to pay for it you might aswell go down to 1440p IPS.

For casual gaming, VA is more tolerant and that's when "VA is okay". At this point for similar budget would you rather pay for IPS 1440p monitor or VA ultrawide? Would you able to tolerate smearing for ultrawide experience?

I currently own AOC CU34G2X, a VA ultrawide monitor and overall experience isn't too bad as long it's above around 80 FPS. 60 FPS looked like as if motion blur was turned on which I didn't like.

If you're still interested in VA ultrawide, then Gigabyte G34WQC is the best overall.

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

4 minutes ago, Xelriel said:

That says a crap ton to me... I have three monitors in my cart ATM, A Curved VA, Flat Ultrawide IPS, And a 32 inch normal Screen with all the bells and whistles. I think ill get rid of the VA and choose between the Ultrawide IPS and the 32inch Bells and whistles. Here they are if your curious.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BG4GWRL/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0968QT6SS/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I used the M27Q at my friends house and that was a really nice monitor. Reviews for it are great. The pixel layout is different tho and bothers some people when it comes to reading text, Idk if that 32inch is the same way or not. Look into that

I haven't seen that acer nitro in person, I did use a 27 inch nitro IPS before and didn't care for it

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

12 minutes ago, Xelriel said:

That says a crap ton to me... I have three monitors in my cart ATM, A Curved VA, Flat Ultrawide IPS, And a 32 inch normal Screen with all the bells and whistles. I think ill get rid of the VA and choose between the Ultrawide IPS and the 32inch Bells and whistles. Here they are if your curious

again depends on the VA, he likely had a worse VA panel. although some of it might be related to VA in general.

this 400$ display might not be as good compared to the 700$ G7 from samsung (flat or curved), although samsung had some other issues with their displays.

an extra note with G7 curved, is that it can be too high of a curve on it (not for everyone).

IPS will have little with this smearing issue, but for both panels having a good overdrive mode for the HZ range, were IPS can be slower. Better IPS panels often can reach VA level and without the smearing while being fast for higher HZ/FPS image. (if you play fast shooters).

Yeah i def play Shooters, Skyrim, Minecraft, New world, Little of everything so I've been using a 27inch IPS Monitor for a little over a year and love it, Rare issues with scrolling and smearing happening.

~{ Xelriel }~

2 minutes ago, Xelriel said:

Yeah i def play Shooters, Skyrim, Minecraft, New world, Little of everything so I've been using a 27inch IPS Monitor for a little over a year and love it, Rare issues with scrolling and smearing happening.

smearing or ghosting? as IPS shouldn't really have smearing, unless its very slow with high refresh rate?

Indeedle, It's only on stuff like twitter with odd colors and such, It's SUPER rare, Think i've only seen it ( noticed it ) maybe a half a dozen times in a years time.

~{ Xelriel }~

Black smearing in dark games on VA is not always the case. I have a VA monitor and I don't have black smearing in dark scenes like games.

Only ghosting but that's not really noticeable. I had ghosting too on other IPS screens I had and have. LCD pixels will never be as fast as OLED pixels.

You can't go wrong with VA monitors unless it's a bad unit but then again, any monitor/tv can be either a bad or good unit, even the same model.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

7 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Black smearing in dark games on VA is not always the case. I have a VA monitor and I don't have black smearing in dark scenes like games.

Only ghosting but that's not really noticeable. I had ghosting too on other IPS screens I had and have. LCD pixels will never be as fast as OLED pixels.

You can't go wrong with VA monitors unless it's a bad unit but then again, any monitor/tv can be either a bad or good unit, even the same model.

Right but are you using a cheap panel or some 800$ + Panel? That's what alot of us were talking about is the cheaper panels are more prevalent to these issues compared to higher priced panels and refresh rates ( if they stay consistent )

~{ Xelriel }~

38 minutes ago, Xelriel said:

Right but are you using a cheap panel or some 800$ + Panel? That's what alot of us were talking about is the cheaper panels are more prevalent to these issues compared to higher priced panels and refresh rates ( if they stay consistent )

Lol, do you really wanna know?😂 It's a freakin' BenQ GW2280 I bought for €99!

Sure it's limited to 60hz but some or most are locked at that hz regardless price. But the screen uniformity is excellent, no annoying bleeds and no dead pixels and the contrast is simply really nice. I like it how I can't see shit in dark games nights as it's supposed instead on IPS screens where black is like grey.

Because of the mentioned great things, I can wait longer for 42" OLED. But I might keep using the monitor too.

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

On 9/27/2021 at 12:46 AM, Xelriel said:

Define 'proper'.

VA ultrawides aren't bad, it just depends on your specific use cases. For what I do, a VA panel would serve me better than an IPS. I actually had a high end IPS (acer XB27UGX) but ill be going back to VA simply because the advantages that VAs have over IPS is more important to me than the advantages that IPS has over VA.

Does smearing bother you? go IPS

Does bad contrast bother you? go VA

Do you like the highly oversaturated look? go IPS

Does backlight bleed bother you? go VA 

On 9/26/2021 at 10:31 PM, Gohardgrandpa said:

I used the M27Q at my friends house and that was a really nice monitor. Reviews for it are great. The pixel layout is different tho and bothers some people when it comes to reading text, Idk if that 32inch is the same way or not. Look into that

I haven't seen that acer nitro in person, I did use a 27 inch nitro IPS before and didn't care for it

The M27Q and M32Q are indeed very good monitors that don't break the bank for their specs. You really can't go wrong with either of them.

On 9/26/2021 at 11:17 PM, Xelriel said:

As long as you're not into high-level competitive games like Valorant or CS:GO, then most VA panels won't cause you issues. Yes, the response times might be a tad slower (or a lot in dark transitions), but not to a degree that will ruin your experience. The higher contrast will improve the picture quality much more than the slower response times can ruin it.

14 hours ago, CTR640 said:

To really know how good or bad a VA is, you need reviews. No matter the budget, there are good and bad options. For example the Samsung Odyssey G5 that has pretty much the highest contrast i have ever seen from a non-local-dimming LCD monitor, but the response times are horribly slow, even by VA standards.

1 hour ago, KyberKylo77 said:

Does backlight bleed bother you? go VA 

Doesn backlight bleed bother you? Go OLED.

As soon as a monitor has a backlight (any conventional LCD) then you will have backlight bleed. IPS monitors also have IPS glow, which basically just introduces more backlight bleed-like issues. How much backlight bleed you have is completely up to luck. From my experience the panel quality or brand doesn't matter at all when it comes to these "dark uniformity issues".

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

@Stahlmann

I know. That's why most of the monitors I was/am interested, haven't made it to my home😂 Too much LCD issues I don't wanna get more headache.

I did search for reviews about the BenQ GW2270 and loved it and then got the GW2280, even better!

Aren't the new G5 IPS?

DAC/AMPs:

2 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Aren't the new G5 IPS?

No, afaik all the Odyssey G monitors are VA, apart from the newest flat 28" G7, which is a 4K IPS monitor.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.