My school has a really good tech department...

CtW

So earlier today, I was taking my dog out for a walk. Seeing as it was a pretty nice day,

HbsqSKh.jpg

I decided to extend the walk and ended up walking through my school's parking lot. When I was about to exit the parking lot, I spotted the van that the tech department uses and noticed that it had a computer mouse dangling from the door. After I proceeded to laugh my ass off, I took my dog home then got my camera then rushed back to the parking lot (5 minutes away from my house by walking). I then got these pics.
q6Hw83E.jpgfJWdaEK.jpgJHJmKzt.jpgkyOhYak.jpg

My fooling around led me to discover that it actually was not secured in and that I could pull it out. I was disappointed but not surprised that the usb end of it was cut off of the mouse.
Z95yxH9.jpgS9go2hz.jpg

I then thought that I should look into the van so see what stupidity I would find. Instead of being entertained, I was horrified. The pictures speak for themselves.
Ryl0IlD.jpgSx9gZZE.jpg

This actually infuriates me. This is too many hard drives to just be broken crap. The fact that they have a motherboard (from a type of computer that is used commonly in the school on the floor of the van, unsecured, under a few hard drives, with a CPU EXPOSED on it really makes me mad. Also, the cpu heatsink looked to have been BROKEN OFF of the motherboard

That's actually horrible...

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

their all likely dead parts though 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

That's terrible...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

their all likely dead parts though

Even if they were all dead parts, you still shouldn't leave them scattered on the floor of a van. Btw I counted at least 15 drives in it. Honestly, I would not be surprised if those parts were working when they went into the van as my schools IT people are retarded.

But omg that mouse tho.

Sharing those pics with your principle or the tech in charge may be a good thing here....

(as a passer by who happened to notice and take a snapshot)

Bloody disgusting ethics, the principle/school board should be shown this. <-- like fully F'n serious!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Looks like a bunch of LGA 775 OptiPlex parts. Standard for educational institutions. Not crying over the HDDs much either. Maxtor has personally brought me nothing but pain and sadness. I say good riddance. The only crime here is the crime of messiness. I mean, they couldn't find a box for that stuff? ugh

Even if they were all dead parts, you still shouldn't leave them scattered on the floor of a van. Btw I counted at least 15 drives in it. Honestly, I would not be surprised if those parts were working when they went into the van as my schools IT people are retarded.

But omg that mouse tho.

go dig them a grave or something 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Sharing those pics with your principle or the tech in charge may be a good thing here....

(as a passer by who happened to notice and take a snapshot)

Bloody disgusting ethics, the principle/school board should be shown this. <-- like fully F'n serious!

Honestly, I'm not sure much would happen. The tech people would just claim thatvhte drives were broken or that they are fine. Despite my knowledge, they would trust them more than me unless I gave some solid evidence.

Looks like a bunch of LGA 775 OptiPlex parts. Standard for educational institutions. Not crying over the HDDs much either. Maxtor has personally brought me nothing but pain and sadness. I say good riddance. The only crime here is the crime of messiness. I mean, they couldn't find a box for that stuff? ugh

In addition to the tech on the floor, what makes me really mad is the fact that they just threw their quick check cups on top of or next to all of it.

Honestly, I'm not sure much would happen. The tech people would just claim thatvhte drives were broken or that they are fine. Despite my knowledge, they would trust them more than me unless I gave some solid evidence.

The EVIDENCE, is the picture itself. Its not like its your word against his, you HAVE proof.

If their dead or not, that is not a "FINE" way to handle them,... as a TECH, this is NOT how you deal with electronics, this is obvious and thats why it should be known and shown.

It shows more about his ethics than you'd think.

If only you had the time to follow this nutcase around and prove its not an isolated incident of how he treats his/others gear. (Dead or not)

You don't have to prove your knowledgeable, just that he's pretty incompetent with self-organization. <- which does reflect on the school in a way.

What if it was not you, but a board member looking into his car, I'm sure he'd be thinking WHAT THE ACTUAL F!!!!!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

The EVIDENCE, is the picture itself. Its not like its your word against his, you HAVE proof.

If their dead or not, as a TECH, this is NOT how you deal with electronics, this is obvious and thats why it should be known and shown.

It shows more about his ethics than you'd think.

What I mean by evidence is evidence that doing this is terrible for the drives and motherboard. All they need to do to refute my claims is to either confirm that the drives were dead before going in to the van or take one out of the van that works.

Edit: also the people in my school (including staff) are TERRIBLE with tech and probably could not tell what the things are.

Just saying: The last picture would make for an excellent "When you see it meme"... Someone should caption it :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

I was more thinking, what if those hard drives hold anything confidential like pupils details?

they should destroy hard drives not leave them lying around

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I work for a IT Department for my school district.

I can guarantee you that this is likely one of two scenarios.

1. The tech is a slob and throws stuff in the back of the van no matter what it is.

OR

2. Everything back there is indeed trash and is indeed broken.

The motherboard does look like an old OptiPlex board, and since those are a good 6-7 years old, it's more than likely dead, along with the hard drives(we go through our fair share of hard drives).

I would say it's a mix of both one and two, I personally wouldn't handle my electronics this way, even if it was broken since we have a recycling building to put this kind of stuff in when it's not needed anymore. Also most of our techs are very cleanly when it comes to the vans we have.

Personally I don't see a problem. It's the tech's van and he/she can and will do whatever they please do with the items they get from the schools. If you're honestly that concerned with the way this is handled then call in to your IT department and talk with someone there and explain your concern with the mistreatment of these items(of course don't try and seem like a creep, like looking into the vans(they might suspect theft even though you don't mean it that way)).

I was more thinking, what if those hard drives hold anything confidential like pupils details?

they should destroy hard drives not leave them lying around

If the van is privately owned, this is the only potential problem in the picture and everyone is overreacting.

I have a several cupboards/rooms full of old shit like this where I work. Occaisonally we manage to find time to dban the hdds and then drive a scewdriver through them with a mallet.

10-im-so-sorry.gif    The only thing that is worrying me really is the fact that it's ASKING for someone to smash open a window and take the hardware... Other than that if they're broken stuff whatever BUT that's not the point!

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Tag your gore. Thanks. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

I hope none of the students at my place see that I like to use dead hardware as paperweights and doors stoppers, then choose to take pictures and send them to management :(

The best thing about dead hardware at work means that I can salvage parts for my server before they get sent to be recycled :)

• 2 weeks later...

Either they're computer rapists or serial killers.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D