why dont psus do something about power outages?

adarw

title says it all, if your in a area with a lot of power outages you need a ups, but those are expensive, are there any companies trying to find a solution?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Why add cost when most people buying your desktop product won't strictly need a UPS?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

1 minute ago, adarw said:

title says it all, if your in a area with a lot of power outages you need a ups, but those are expensive, are there any companies trying to find a solution?

Sure, you can get a solar set up and a battery installed in your home.

If you're just gaming on your computer, the power outage doesn't matter. You're still gonna lose internet connection so any online game is gonna kick you out.

Those who need their PC to stay on will find the added cost of a UPS worth it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

are you asking why PSU manufacturers dont put batteries in their PSU enough to last an outage or?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

28 minutes ago, adarw said:

are there any companies trying to find a solution?

The thing is... the solution for that is... well... I don't know...

1269845665_Screenshot2021-09-13at17-51-10CP1000PFCLCD-PFCSinewaveUPSSeries-ProductDetailsSpecsDownloadsCyberPower.png.875e70c325085428db6aeaa4053a750e.png

Power outages tend to be generally uncommon, but might vary depending on where you are. The power has to come from somewhere. If it isn't coming out of the wall, you need to either get another source, or store it locally.

Computer PSUs already have some limited sustaining capability. They can cover very short brownouts/dropouts. We're talking fraction of a second stuff here, so that wont help for anything other than shortest glitches.

Beyond that, a UPS is pretty much unavoidable, and even then, you need to size it according to the need. UPS are generally intended to buy you a little time to safely shut down or switch to an alternate power source. You're not going to run for a long time off a UPS unless you buy a seriously oversized one.

If you really expect to outages to last longer than some minutes, you then need to be looking at adding another form of electricity generation, like a generator. How much money do you want to throw at a hypothetical situation?

Alternatively buy a system with a built in power backup: A laptop.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

34 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

are you asking why PSU manufacturers dont put batteries in their PSU enough to last an outage or?

no. my question is why is there no solution to stop it.

-----------------

#

8 minutes ago, adarw said:

other than implementing a UPS solution, any other ideas?

just FYI, UPS is huge because the batteries needed to last a mid-range PC for 15 minute isnt small, plus the circuitry and what not

so it wouldnt fit into ATX PSU form factor and do anything meaningful

plus, batteries degrade and need swapping, idk if it's a good idea to implement it into PSU which isnt user service friendly

albeit having specific circuitry to convert 12v directly to voltages PC need would be more efficient than making it into 110-240v AC and then pumping it into PSU

though... you cant do much without a display so you still need a UPS for that 

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

15 minutes ago, adarw said:

But... there are...? They just so niche, that you apparently haven't even bothered looking for them?

Here's a video on Nipron ones (hey, uploaded by Jonnyguru)

Spoiler

This also looks similar, but as you can see, the max power output of their ATX model is 250W

https://www.atx-upsu.com/

:)

6 minutes ago, seon123 said:

But... there are...? They just so niche, that you apparently haven't even bothered looking for them?

welp i tried my best to look for them... that vid only has 400 views....

-----------------

#