PS4 Emulation is now a reality, sorta....

Master Disaster
24 minutes ago, CyanideInsanity said:

Curious, which side of the fence are you on, that this is "technically" breaking rules, or that under no circumstances should anyone be doing this?

If you have a PS3, you can legitimately download it to use on your PS3. Obviously. 

Though i'll give you this, the firmware can't do much by itself, so if people download the official, unmodified, firmware to use on an emulator, to play legitimate games and the emulator tattles on you to Sony, that's on you. Play offline. Pirates are going to pirate, so they already don't give a care.

To the extent that I care, the thing that annoys me with emulators are people repeating clearly wrong information about the legality of them. 

It always comes back to

- "But emulators aren't illegal", emulators are a very broad class of software that range from bytecode virtual machines like Java to large scale virtual machines like cloud servers. Just because your video game emulator requires you to break the law, or the EULA to use it, doesn't make it any more legal.

- "But preservation!", I'm more willing to just not care about data hoarding if the IP holder is unwilling to keep it available for purchase. If you make a game, software application, it's on you to maintain it in perpetuity. If you withdraw it from sale, you forfeit any right to complain about fighting the piracy scene, because you're the one who is ignoring the demand for it.

- "But Homebrew!", Everyone makes this claim, and can never point to a homebrew game that people actually would be willing to mod  their expensive game console to play. It's always about parallel imports, unlicensed mods/hacked/cheating or pirated games, nothing else. 

- "But the copy I downloaded is identical bit for bit to the game I physically own", yet the copyright law requires you to make a backup from YOUR copy, not someone elses. 

- "But but but but..." No more buts. The average pirate pretends they are well versed in copyright law, but have really just repeated nonsense arguments that any actual lawyer would shoot down if it ever came to a legal fight.

There's only one case that deal with emulators

https://h2o.law.harvard.edu/cases/5198 Sony vs Bleem

If the owner of the IP, sells the ROM's for use with an emulator, which only the Amiga has ever done so visibly

https://www.amigaforever.com/kb/13-122#:~:text=Licensing the System Components,used or distributed under license.

There are many games on Steam that are using the game ROM's (such as the original releases of Final Fantasy 4/5/6 and Chrono Trigger) as data files with what is otherwise a native mobile port of the game. If you know what you're doing you can fish out the ROM and play it on an actual GBA. The Sega classics are all just straight up game roms and you can also just drop those straight into any SMS/MD system and it'll work unaltered. There's also the strange case of the Bubsy game that had a compiled SNES emulator that questionably violates the license of the emulator. The EULA of these games may prohibit you from doing this, but after you "purchase" the games, or the game consoles, you can clearly do whatever you want with those. Including playing backup copies of your games that you threw in storage.

14 hours ago, Kisai said:

Dolphin is honestly one of the most polished emulators out there, being able to play the actual games from the optical drive, given if you have an optical drive. The amount of effort in that emulator to avoid stepping on Nintendo's toes is rather incredible.

I have used Dolphin to play the GC/Wii games, even though both my Gamecube and Wii both still work, and still have a CRT. I can't bear to have the CRT plugged in because of the noise from the power circuitry, so everything remains unplugged unless someone else is over and wants to play.

"Better visuals" are not an excuse for emulation, in many cases I've seen emulators claim this and the opposite has been true because the person playing the game had no idea what it was supposed to look like. I cringe every time I see games being streamed in the wrong aspect ratio and at the wrong brightness level. This is one of the biggest reasons why Nintendo knows someone is playing a pirated game on youtube and delivers a DMCA smackdown, because the game looks incorrect, exhibits visual artifacts that the real hardware has never had, skips the console GUI, and such. That said, I said it in the previous post about now much Nintendo is heavy handed and anti-consumer, and people streaming pirated/hacked games using emulators do so at great risk.

The Playstation emulators have never been as polished as Dolphin.

Hahaha thus I specifically only reference Dolphin to make that statement. It really honestly is in a class of its own.

My favorite thing about that whole thing is that legitimately the most accurate N64 emulator currently available is Dolphin emulating VC emulating N64...

The most recent patch included making a change to emulate a hardware bug in powerpc on both N64 and Wii, that it turns out is critical to how speedrunners bug zelda games into bypassing almost the entire game. Hilarious stuff.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

On 9/10/2021 at 9:46 AM, Master Disaster said:

If you can fulfil all these requirements however you can now play Sonic Mania (as well as a few other titles) on a PC.

But sonic mania is already on pc

On 9/10/2021 at 10:29 AM, jaslion said:

It's for legal reasons. You can't legally upload the console firmware

That part in the OP, aka requirement doesn't make sense...

You can download the firmware on Sony's website *legally* (same with ps3)

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/ps4/system-software/

I'm not sure why this would be a "requirement" to dump it yourself (maybe a mistake?)

ps: kinda same for the discs, I suppose,  not sure why you couldn't just copy the discs (grey area depending on country/laws) works for RPCS3... 

Which btw, technically it doesn't matter if you rip from disc or console... a copy is a copy 🤔

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

18 hours ago, Kisai said:

Just because your video game emulator requires you to break the law, or the EULA

I care 0 about EULAs, most of them are BS and just plain have illegal demands and limits in them.

its just a companies attempt to cover their backside and make it so its harder to sue

interesting to see the OG Xbox hasn't had any given what its based on but the PS4 is getting closer which means the Xbox one shouldn't be too far behind

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

13 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I care 0 about EULAs, most of them are BS and just plain have illegal demands and limits in them.

its just a companies attempt to cover their backside and make it so its harder to sue

interesting to see the OG Xbox hasn't had any given what its based on but the PS4 is getting closer which means the Xbox one shouldn't be too far behind

Apparently the problem with emulating the OG Xbox is due to CPU being x86, which i know is kind of a dumb excuse when the PS4 is also x86 (and a far more modern and complex chip) and its starting to get emulated but that was the excuse of a guy that tried long ago to make an Xbox emulator, that was like 6-7 years ago though that i read that and that post was old at the time.

There's also the thing that Microsoft provides actual support to runs some of those games on current gen hardware legally, also Microsoft now days is making their current games available on PC, also i figure that the emu community rather focus on Sony/Nintendo hardware that have more iconic old gen games and less secure and complex hardware, all of that takes away interest in making an emu for the Xbox.

The Xbox one ain't getting an emulator soon either, this PS4 emu relies on hacked consoles, and probably part of what made the emulator possible is reverse engineering applied to the hacked console, up to this day, at least publicly, the encryption and security on the Xbox one all the way back to the original in 2013 hasn't been broken.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

interesting to see the OG Xbox hasn't had any given what its based on

You mean emulators?

https://github.com/Cxbx-Reloaded/Cxbx-Reloaded

Haven't used it myself but seems to be working... i just remembered I read about this recently that it's "finally" somewhat working - something supposedly changed. 

PS: "158" games playable,  seems pretty good to me. : D 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

My favorite thing about that whole thing is that legitimately the most accurate N64 emulator currently available is Dolphin emulating VC emulating N64...

This isn't true. Dolphin is good at emulating how it played on wii, but that experience isn't great. There are tons of minor problems, and some are major enough to be added to the dolphin wiki specifying that they are not dolphin bugs.

PC N64 emulation has also improved. GlidenN64 came out in 2015 was significantly better than any HLE plugin before it. Angrylion RDP Plus came out in 2017 and is very accurate, but needs a strong CPU and is at original resolution only. And last year, ParaLLEl was released and allows angrylion accuracy and higher resolutions with a somewhat modest GPU.

On 9/10/2021 at 10:24 AM, FakeKGB said:

I think part of the problem is that GameCube/Wii discs don't read like normal DVDs and IIRC only one or two select LG optical drives can read them.

Perhaps it's possible if optical drives can be told to read and transmit the data bit for bit (not sure if this is how it's done already), but I doubt the Dolphin team cares too much as I believe it's possible to rip Wii games from your PC.

I don't use Dolphin for Wii games much though as I have an Wii for that - I use it to test my NSMBW hack. Works great for it.

Well I can rip PS2 games too, but it's cool to be able to just pop it in, and then it doesn't take hard drive space.

On 9/10/2021 at 1:45 PM, AlexGoesHigh said:

Dolphin can run games from the optical drive, they just have to be backup DVD of the original game, or like mentioned above, have one of the very few DVD drives that can read Wii/GC games because they use the same hardware as consoles drives.

Isn't that kind of pointless?

On 9/10/2021 at 7:36 PM, leadeater said:

Then you've never really used them lol

PCSX2 is nowhere near as good as Dolphin. I've never had to fuck around with settings I don't understand and forget what do in Dolphin, just load it up and start the game. Every game in PCSX2 needs it's own settings and hacks.

#Muricaparrotgang

18 hours ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

i figure that the emu community rather focus on Sony/Nintendo hardware that have more iconic old gen games and less secure and complex hardware, all of that takes away interest in making an emu for the Xbox.

The thing to me is the OG Xbox did have some really good exclusives, but more importantly it was also way more powerful than the PS2 and GC, so aside from higher progressive scan resolution and digital video output, a bunch of games were otherwise graphically superior on the Xbox.

#Muricaparrotgang

12 hours ago, Craftyawesome said:

This isn't true. Dolphin is good at emulating how it played on wii, but that experience isn't great. There are tons of minor problems, and some are major enough to be added to the dolphin wiki specifying that they are not dolphin bugs.

PC N64 emulation has also improved. GlidenN64 came out in 2015 was significantly better than any HLE plugin before it. Angrylion RDP Plus came out in 2017 and is very accurate, but needs a strong CPU and is at original resolution only. And last year, ParaLLEl was released and allows angrylion accuracy and higher resolutions with a somewhat modest GPU.

VC not being perfect is not the same as it not being better than the current alternatives.

I may be a bit out of date on ParaLLEI, but the list of bugs on native N64 emulators was not small either... 

Game by game may differ, but the previously listed Zelda N64 community has almost completely abandoned anything other than VC and likewise Dolphin is rapidly taking over (as the final bugs get squashed) as the preferred method to run VC Zelda.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Well I can rip PS2 games too, but it's cool to be able to just pop it in, and then it doesn't take hard drive space.

Isn't that kind of pointless?

PCSX2 is nowhere near as good as Dolphin. I've never had to fuck around with settings I don't understand and forget what do in Dolphin, just load it up and start the game. Every game in PCSX2 needs it's own settings and hacks.

Sortof pointless except to people wanting to feel extremely explicit about not being pirates hahaha.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

On 9/10/2021 at 10:44 AM, Kadzo said:

technically emulators are piracy and all

You can pretty much download the emulator,download the firmware from Sony's website,buy physical game disks and use them in the emulator.

On 9/10/2021 at 10:27 AM, Kadzo said:

Why would you go to such lengths to have a fully hacked PS4 so you can emulate that game on PC? I get it if you don`t have a PS4 and don`t want one, but if you have one already why just don`t you play there? 

For the same reason that i have a PS3 but use RPCS3 on my PC.

It's especially useful to test how mods for games work or any other modification,

Also emulators let you run games at higher resolution than the original.

And don't forget those whose their console broke and doesn't work anymore,but still have the games and everything that they bought.

It doesn't mean that i retire my console,  i like it but emulators are useful for even those who own the console.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

5 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Every game in PCSX2 needs it's own settings and hacks.

No they don't and they are literally automatically applied if required, literally in the same way as Dolphin. Does anyone who comments on PCSX2 actually consistently use it? Doesn't seem like it.

5 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I've never had to fuck around with settings I don't understand and forget what do in Dolphin, just load it up and start the game.

And you don't have to with PCSX2 either. 10 years ago or more, maybe but not even then. Only time I've ever had to mess around with PCSX2 settings was back in Core 2 Era.

And this is only talking about PS2 emulation, how about we include PS1 emulation because there are two amazing options there one that is a bit more customizable (epsxe) and another that is straight up plug and play (pSX).

Don't mistake the ability to customize and mod with complexity, you don't have to do anything.

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

VC not being perfect is not the same as it not being better than the current alternatives.

I may be a bit out of date on ParaLLEI, but the list of bugs on native N64 emulators was not small either... 

It may also be worth noting that most of the games on N64 VC are popular. These games usually work well on PC emulators. Unless the less popular games on VC have way more bugs on PC than I'm aware, even GlideN64 on release was significantly better. I wouldn't be surprised if some games were better on PC in 2006 (noise emulation in sm64 teleports/vanish cap, star fox being less buggy AFAIK).

3 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Game by game may differ, but the previously listed Zelda N64 community has almost completely abandoned anything other than VC and likewise Dolphin is rapidly taking over (as the final bugs get squashed) as the preferred method to run VC Zelda.

They intentionally exploit bugs in the Wii VC emulator to beat the game faster. It makes way more sense to fix dolphin than to intentionally break PJ64 to match Wii VC.

Also, "preferred method to run" is a stretch considering runs within 10% (OoT) or 15% (MM) must be on original hardware. Also AFAIK gz or kz (practice roms) are typically used for practice. Dolphin would probably be best for debugging a route idea.

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

No they don't and they are literally automatically applied if required, literally in the same way as Dolphin. Does anyone who comments on PCSX2 actually consistently use it? Doesn't seem like it.

And you don't have to with PCSX2 either. 10 years ago or more, maybe but not even then. Only time I've ever had to mess around with PCSX2 settings was back in Core 2 Era.

And this is only talking about PS2 emulation, how about we include PS1 emulation because there are two amazing options there one that is a bit more customizable (epsxe) and another that is straight up plug and play (pSX).

Don't mistake the ability to customize and mod with complexity, you don't have to do anything.

Have you tried DuckStation? Its feature set is insane, its BY FAR the best PSX emulator I've ever used.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

23 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Have you tried DuckStation? Its feature set is insane, its BY FAR the best PSX emulator I've ever used.

Nope, I've basically just stuck with epsxe. Looks pretty great though.

22 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Sortof pointless except to people wanting to feel extremely explicit about not being pirates hahaha.

Not really. You'd have to rip the disc to an iso and then transfer that iso to another disc. May as well just use the iso.

18 hours ago, leadeater said:

When? How? I'm using Spectabis to manage them and it 100% does not do that on it's own. Every game I have needs it's own settings and hacks, not to mention some games I have a custom controller mapping because in Burnout I don't like to hold a face button for throttle. Please explain to me how I can have PCSX2 automatically switch between these settings, because I've never seen it do it.

If you didn't have to go in and mess with settings per game no one would say that and there wouldn't be entire forum threads about how to get certain features in certain games to actually render and how to get the best performance out of them.

Meanwhile the few times I've used Dolphin it's been entirely plug and play.

18 hours ago, leadeater said:

Literally every game I've tried on PCSX2 needs it's own settings so it renders correctly and runs at a decent framerate. Not to mention even just resolution scaling which you can alter per game depending on performance. Burnout 3 and Midnight Club 3 are more intensive and have to be run at a lower res. Not once has PCSX2 automatically switched anything.

I didn't mention PSX because I didn't mention it and it has no relevance to what I said.

#Muricaparrotgang

On 9/11/2021 at 3:03 AM, Kisai said:

"Better visuals" are not an excuse for emulation,

Disagree. I own both the actual PS2 device unmodded and the actual gamedisc DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and the game doesn't look very great on it. Once you emulate it, increase the resolution and add anti-aliasing, the game looked much more crisp and sharp, every fx looked much better and crisp too when I emulated it. But the laptop was heating up tho so never bothered with again since that because it was simply only for the giggles. It was way back in 2010 or 2011 and I had a C2D CPU and 9600M GT.

And oh, I kept the aspect ratio unchanged.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

I didn't mention PSX because I didn't mention it and it has no relevance to what I said.

I know, it's just the conversation started with no PlayStation emulator is as good as Dolphin.

When? How? I'm using Spectabis to manage them and it 100% does not do that on it's own. Every game I have needs it's own settings and hacks, not to mention some games I have a custom controller mapping because in Burnout I don't like to hold a face button for throttle. Please explain to me how I can have PCSX2 automatically switch between these settings, because I've never seen it do it.

I'm talking about game fixes that fix known issues, once they are accepted and patched they become automatic per game fixes unless the fix itself is an overall globally applicable fix to the emulator itself. If you want to switch controller mappings etc then that's just on you at the point, however I think it is possible to do controller mapping automatically for a game but I forget how and I personally don't really want to for any of the games I play, also I play with actual PS controllers and originally with a PS2 controller with a USB converter.

I've played all the Gran Turismo games, Metal Gear, every Final Fantasy, Ace Combat, Tekken, Bards Tale and numerous others all directly from the discs I own with no problems. Of course obviously after they became playable but they had that status loong ago.

Of the two games you mention it looks like Midnight Club 3 does still have problems, Burnout 3 seems a little mixed as to whether you have to anything currently.

All emulation is not perfect, not even Dolphin so I wouldn't go around with small sample sizes of games you own that may just happen to contain some of the few games that do have problems and conclude it's a wider problem than it is. Even Dolphin has it's own problems and choices you need to make sometimes depending on your hardware like whether or not to use Ubershaders. Just go in to the current bug tracking list for Dolphin, there's no shortage of minor issues getting reported and thankfully fixed.

All emulators to this day have their quirks, none are perfect, not even the official Sony software emulator on PS3 for PS2 games. In fact last I checked PCSX2 had a better game compatibility list than that does.

I'll save pulling out the edge case list of games that are a problem on Dolphin because it serves no useful purpose.

P.S. Don't even bother trying to compare the compatibility lists for the two emulators and looking at only perfect, there's huge numbers of games for PCSX2 that have not been updated or you check the wiki link for it and the status is No Bugs but yet isn't flagged as perfect. I'm not going to speculate on if Dolphin's list is more well maintained because I don't know, I do know PCSX2's is not.

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

I'm talking about game fixes that fix known issues, once they are accepted and patched they become automatic per game fixes unless the fix itself is an overall globally applicable fix to the emulator itself. If you want to switch controller mappings etc then that's just on you at the point, however I think it is possible to do controller mapping automatically for a game but I forget how and I personally don't really want to for any of the games I play, also I play with actual PS controllers and originally with a PS2 controller with a USB converter.

I've played all the Gran Turismo games, Metal Gear, every Final Fantasy, Ace Combat, Tekken, Bards Tale and numerous others all directly from the discs I own with no problems. Of course obviously after they became playable but they had that status loong ago.

Of the two games you mention it looks like Midnight Club 3 does still have problems, Burnout 3 seems a little mixed as to whether you have to anything currently.

All emulation is not perfect, not even Dolphin so I wouldn't go around with small sample sizes of games you own that may just happen to contain some of the few games that do have problems and conclude it's a wider problem than it is. Even Dolphin has it's own problems and choices you need to make sometimes depending on your hardware like whether or not to use Ubershaders. Just go in to the current bug tracking list for Dolphin, there's no shortage of minor issues getting reported and thankfully fixed.

I only know it to do some hacks and widescreen/progressive patches. A lot of games require different settings in the video plugins and some need different audio settings.

How did you play MGS3? Is there a plugin that does analog buttons? I've tried looking for one and only saw posts saying lily pad doesn't support it. Other games like GT I use my steering wheel for. Burnout I think technically has analog throttle but it really doesn't matter.

For whatever reason Burnout 3 is really intensive, and you have to start the first race in software render otherwise the skybox doesn't load. The audio can also get laggy and glitchy. MC3 has issues rendering the headlights and is also kind of intensive, but with certain settings it's lessened and I've completed it.

I'd still say Dolphin is better overall. Has less fiddling, most games are progressive scan by default (Having to hold triangle on Burnout 3's boot or going into GT4's menu every time is very annoying) the games seem to run better, and I feel like I've done a texture mod which was pretty easy. And it has it's own built in library function PCSX2 doesn't really have, again why I use Spectabis.

9 hours ago, CTR640 said:

Disagree. I own both the actual PS2 device unmodded and the actual gamedisc DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and the game doesn't look very great on it. Once you emulate it, increase the resolution and add anti-aliasing, the game looked much more crisp and sharp

Interpolated 480i video signal sent over analog cables vs. (depending on the game and support) 16:9 1080p digital video signal with no degradation.

46 minutes ago, comander said:

Emulators can be 100% legal. 

What if I bought a SNES game and wanted to play it on my tablet while I was on a flight? Nothing to stop me from doing that. 

I think actually that is technically illegal. Pretty sure I remember reading a court case that happened over making roms of cartridges and it was found illegal. Don't remember why. At the time cartridges were still the primary game distribution method so it doesn't mention CD's or DVD's, just specifically cartridges for hardware reasons.

#Muricaparrotgang

54 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

How did you play MGS3? Is there a plugin that does analog buttons? I've tried looking for one and only saw posts saying lily pad doesn't support it. Other games like GT I use my steering wheel for. Burnout I think technically has analog throttle but it really doesn't matter.

You have to use an actual PS2 controller with a USB converter that does not emulate it to a Xbox controller and I forget which input plugin I was using at the time but it was treated as a raw input device and didn't use anything Windows. I've since switched to using a PS3 controller as that is the only currently fully supported controller that will work with every game.

As of February 2011, the only confirmed gamepad to support actual pressure sensitive buttons working with LilyPad is the official Sony DualShock 3, which requires a separate .dll download to get working on a PC.

If you are playing games with pressure sense or analog then you have to only use PS3 controller and nothing else. This is of course only a problem for those that do not own a PS3 controller 🙃

I'd still say Dolphin is better overall. Has less fiddling, most games are progressive scan by default

True good point, I think PAL versions of games have slightly less problems than NTSC (seemed to be the case very early on anyway). PS2 is simply 6 years older than the Wii and wasn't really designed around progressive scan because generally there wasn't wide support for it. GameCube just slightly a year later was actually designed for it but Nintendo found like 1% of people used it so remove the port that supported it from later hardware revision. However games largely kept support for it as people already had the consoles and they were already doing it so no reason to stop.

Also since I live in a PAL region progressive was outright disabled for both the GameCube and Wii even on the hardware models that supported it, argh.

1 hour ago, comander said:

Perfectly fine to emulate hardware. Perfectly fine to use your own legally purchased software that you've dumped from onto physical media from its original cartridge/disk on other platforms. It is NOT legal to download a copy of your own software online and to use that in an emulator. 

That didn't address what I said at all. And Wikipedia is not a good source for legal information. That being a said, a quick search isn't providing the information I need in favor of a bunch of crap about people asking if emulators are legal.

31 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You have to use an actual PS2 controller with a USB converter that does not emulate it to a Xbox controller and I forget which input plugin I was using at the time but it was treated as a raw input device and didn't use anything Windows. I've since switched to using a PS3 controller as that is the only currently fully supported controller that will work with every game.

If you are playing games with pressure sense or analog then you have to only use PS3 controller and nothing else. This is of course only a problem for those that do not own a PS3 controller 🙃

Huh. I feel like I tried the PS3 controller, but the one I have I think is also completely dead now. Thought I read the PS3 controller still wouldn't use the analog face buttons. Might have to see if I can borrow a buddy's controller then, it'd be ace to play MGS3 on PC... though I guess the MGS collection pack I have on PS3 also has higher res textures and full camera control... I've never actually played it on PS2.

37 minutes ago, leadeater said:

True good point, I think PAL versions of games have slightly less problems than NTSC (seemed to be the case very early on anyway). PS2 is simply 6 years older than the Wii and wasn't really designed around progressive scan because generally there wasn't wide support for it. GameCube just slightly a year later was actually designed for it but Nintendo found like 1% of people used it so remove the port that supported it from later hardware revision. However games largely kept support for it as people already had the consoles and they were already doing it so no reason to stop.

Also since I live in a PAL region progressive was outright disabled for both the GameCube and Wii even on the hardware models that supported it, argh.

Xbox came out a year later than PS2 and according to retrorgb.com only around 20 games aren't in progressive scan. Which is funny because the default cables don't support progressive apparently, and neither do they support Xbox's other major feature which was surround sound. Didn't know the rest of that about the GameCube though. Still, for only a year between launches, almost every PS2 game is interlaced only and the ones that can do progressive have to be enabled every time you start it. And at least GT keeps the menu in interlaced so it stays nice and illegible. According to a Wiki, the GameCube only needed to be set up for progressive scan once and then it would save that in the system memory. No idea if that transfers over to the emulator, but it doesn't seem to matter since it defaults to progressive anyway.

What the hell was this thread about again?

#Muricaparrotgang

4 hours ago, JZStudios said:

What the hell was this thread about again?

That the PS4 can now be emulated, but like almost all threads that covers emulation, it derailed into whenever emulation is illegal or not, so business as usual, lol.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

58 minutes ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

That the PS4 can now be emulated, but like almost all threads that covers emulation, it derailed into whenever emulation is illegal or not, so business as usual, lol.

Because people tend to get all giddy about about some game device being emulated, and then freak out when they need to own the hardware they are emulating and can't just steal software people dumped onto the internet.

The implication of a working emulator, means there is a way to play pirated games.