Best antivirus?

brownninja97

I use Microsoft security essentials :) + Malwarebytes

Seems fine. I only used it for a few months.

For a long time I was on Kaspersky an ESET both were fine

I use i5-3470, 8GB kingston, SSD + 2x hdd, GTX 970

I'm using Avast! free and Spybot search and destroy on one PC and AVG and Spybot on the other, spybot is GOoOOd for anti-spyware

and Avast! and AVG free work fine for anti-virus, and no spybot does not clash with either AVG or Avast! but Avast and AVG DO!

Most antivirus' work fine that are out there though, even Microsoft security essencials is pretty decent nowadays.

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I use Windows 8's built-in Defender thingy and MSE in Windows 7. Haven't had any funky things violating my computer since I stopped using Limewire as a kid on my dad's XP machine. Trojans everywhere, good times.

Microsoft Security Essentials and Malware Bytes.

I also use common sense, which helps a lot.

Here is the thing:

- If an A/V becomes widely popular, than virus makers will focus their energy to by-pass it, so that it's not detectable. There was an attack many many years ago, where the virus by-pass Norton Anti-Virus, cleared and the anti-virus so that it's unable to update itself successfully, but report it has, and break the virus detection code, so that it returns that nothing was found. This is one example, extreme, but still an example.

- "Good" anti-virus are usually the ones that are very aggressive. They tend to slow down Windows boot time, and eat a lot of system resources as it virus scan everything like no tomorrow. So your system is slower. Also, an error on the definition can make you re-install Windows, as it marked Windows files as viruses. It happened to McAfee and recently AVG.

- More relaxed anti-virus are much less demanding on the system, giving you full performance out if your system, and sometimes feels like you have no security software running (see Microsoft Security Essential), but it doesn't catch everything at 100%, but close.

My recommendation, for a home PC is:

-> A well configured router

-> A relaxed type A/V solution

-> A fully updates OS, and software, and not using an ages old OS like XP.

-> Safe web surfing.

-> And smart usage of the computer (don't open "image.jpg.exe", and if a video or document or whatever requests administrative privileges, you know something it wrong).

Norton... hahaha. No i use Avast, its fairly quiet when in gaming mode so it doesn't bother me too much.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

My vote goes to eset

Right now in 2013 i think avast is the best for mobile and alos for computers

I think avast is the best anti viruse in 2013 for mobile and also for computers

I am using Norton, it seems like they have been doing better. I remember that it used to absolutely tank my computer but it's doing a lot better now

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

I actually use 3 different types of anti-virus, well more like anti-malware and anti-spyware. My anti-virus is Kaspersky PURE 3 and it is ranked the best out all of anti-viruses and I agree with that; Norton was total rubbish and Macfee wasn't too bad, but no where near as good as Kaspersky! My anti-Malware is MalwareBtyes that is really good as it found that I have 314 threats on my computer and cleaned them all out, plus it's rootkit scanner is very good as well. The anti-spyware is simply called Super anti-spyware and this made my computer completely spyware free.

Most people say you must not have more than one firewall, but these are more like extensions to the firewall and are seriously really good. I sound like I am advertising, but you must get these 3 softwares; You will not regret it... trust me.

Microsoft Security essentials and don't download bad things.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Hmm ive used Avast in the past, but it didnt seem to keep some of the virus away, so i switched to Norton and it works like a charm.

And you probably know how to get it..

I'm using ESET Smart Security, works perfect & doesn't take any CPU usage

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

I'm using ESET Smart Security, works perfect & doesn't take any CPU usage

I second that! Got lincenses for me, my family and all my friends. Especially the antivirus is the best i know. (also Smart Security just won an important product award in germany, for being the best solution)

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Free Avast, Malwarebytes, and common sense.

Asus X550CA-DB51: 15.6" @ 1366x768, i5-3337U @1.8, 8gb RAM, Intel 4000 Graphics, 750gb HDD

I use to be a user of Microsoft Security Essentials, but then i switched to Avast and now i love it, also it got a really good score in most antivirus test.

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-8/janfeb-2013/

But if you want the best of the best then pay for bit defender.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

I second that! Got lincenses for me, my family and all my friends. Especially the antivirus is the best i know. (also Smart Security just won an important product award in germany, for being the best solution)

I'm just using Tnod Password Finder  :D ESET is better than the very heavy McAfee, that I can assure you!

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

Kaspesky also seems to be a good one