Best antivirus?

brownninja97

Macs can still get viruses.

If you look at my post and how i said 'illusion' and not factual. 

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

I think he was referring to the the illusion that Macs don't need to use and antivirus because there are nor viruses to the Mac OSX.

well, there are none. 

malware =/= virus

security holes =/= virus

That's an OS.

an·ti·vi·rus ˌantēˈvīrəs ˌantī-
adjective
adjective antivirus adjective anti-virus
  1. (of software) designed to detect and destroy computer viruses.
  2. Not OS X

but OS X ...

... has an integrated malware/virus scanner (without a special name like Windows Defender)

So -> "What is the best Anti-Virus you use?"

OS X

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Commonsense.exe

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

Macs can still get viruses.

Computer virus

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to be confused with Worm (software)  or Trojan Horse (computing).

A computer virus is a malware program that, when executed, replicates by inserting copies of itself (possibly modified) into other computer programs, data files, or the boot sector of the hard drive; when this replication succeeds, the affected areas are then said to be "infected"

well, there are none. 

malware =/= virus

security holes =/= virus

but OS X ...

... has an integrated malware/virus scanner (without a special name like Windows Defender)

OS X

I done a check online for the integrated malware/virus scanner and i was directed to a apple forum where one of the users on that site states

"Your iMac doesn't have a built in anti-virus program. It does have a built in firewall. Check that it's enabled by looking at System Preferences, Security and Privacy pane. Also, while there, click on advanced to ensure 'enable stealth mode' is checked.

There have been and will be, many discussions about the value of an anti-virus program in a mac. Since you can search for those if interested, I'll just mention if you want an anti-virus program, most agree that http://www.clamxav.com is the one program to use."

Link to the page: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3764198?start=0&tstart=0 

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

well, there are none. 

malware =/= virus

security holes =/= virus

but OS X ...

OS X

Ok sure. How about I give you a link to a file download for a 'game' and you click install. Then what you gonna do when your drive gets wiped? ;)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I done a check online for the integrated malware/virus scanner and i was directed to a apple forum where one of the users on that site states

"Your iMac doesn't have a built in anti-virus program. It does have a built in firewall. Check that it's enabled by looking at System Preferences, Security and Privacy pane. Also, while there, click on advanced to ensure 'enable stealth mode' is checked.

There have been and will be, many discussions about the value of an anti-virus program in a mac. Since you can search for those if interested, I'll just mention if you want an anti-virus program, most agree that http://www.clamxav.com is the one program to use."

Link to the page: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3764198?start=0&tstart=0 

well , then he isn't very well informed. OS X integrates Quarantine since 10.4 (2006 ?? )

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3662

Ok sure. How about I give you a link to a file download for a 'game' and you click install. Then what you gonna do when your drive gets wiped? ;)

well if I tell you to "format c:" you wouldn't call that a virus either, or would you?

well if I tell you to "format c:" you wouldn't call that a virus either, or would you?

You can get viruses from programs you download without knowing. The thing is mac users are overconfident thinking they are not vulnerable at all. In fact coding a virus is very simple, it's just that nobody really cares about mac since not that many people use it. Maybe I should be saying your mac is not immune to malware rather than viruses then.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

well , then he isn't very well informed. OS X integrates Quarantine since 10.4 (2006 ?? )

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3662

In April they pointed to the Flashback Trojan outbreak, which affected roughly 600,000 owners, more than one per cent of the worldwide total.

Spread by malicious websites, it masqueraded as an update to Adobe Flash and used a vulnerability in Java, a programming language widely used online, to take control of OS X. It was used by cyber criminals to run a “click fraud” scam, which redirected victims to advertisements online, but could have been used to online banking credentials or other sensitive data.

Apple previously claimed on its website that the Mac “doesn't get PC viruses” and told owners they could “safeguard your data”, “by doing nothing”

Link- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9355995/Apple-drops-virus-immunity-claim-for-Macs.html 

You can get viruses from programs you download without knowing.

No you can't. There is no virus for OS X.

Maybe I should be saying your mac is not immune to malware rather than viruses then.

yeah, you should. Not immune, but it is rather difficult to actually get any malware with some comon sense in place.

In fact coding a virus is very simple, it's just that nobody really cares about mac since not that many people use it.

No it isn't simple at all. The OS X user base would be large enough, it just isn't simple to program a virus on OS X.

Yes it is easy to write a script or program to do some damage after the user inputs his password.

No you can't. There is no virus for OS X.

yeah, you should. Not immune, but it is rather difficult to actually get any malware with some comon sense in place.

No it isn't simple at all. The OS X user base would be large enough, it just isn't simple to program a virus on OS X.

Yes it is easy to write a script or program to do some damage after the user inputs his password.

Then what is this then? Just fun and giggles?

http://blog.kaspersky.com/mac-viruses-are-here-to-stay10-examples-of-mac-viruses/

And if you knew how to code, you would realize how easy it is to just make a simple program, embed it in a download, and have it screw your entire PC.

Spoiler

In April they pointed to the Flashback Trojan outbreak, which affected roughly 600,000 owners, more than one per cent of the worldwide total.

Spread by malicious websites, it masqueraded as an update to Adobe Flash and used a vulnerability in Java, a programming language widely used online, to take control of OS X. It was used by cyber criminals to run a “click fraud” scam, which redirected victims to advertisements online, but could have been used to online banking credentials or other sensitive data.

Apple previously claimed on its website that the Mac “doesn't get PC viruses” and told owners they could “safeguard your data”, “by doing nothing”

Link- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9355995/Apple-drops-virus-immunity-claim-for-Macs.html 

huh ... well ... java applets ... (also not a virus)

also harm done -> 0

Then what is this then? Just fun and giggles?

http://blog.kaspersky.com/mac-viruses-are-here-to-stay10-examples-of-mac-viruses/

And if you knew how to code, you would realize how easy it is to just make a simple program, embed it in a download, and have it screw your entire PC.

Thats kaspersky, a company who wants to sell their Mac products ;)

I think I know a little about "how to code" and it really isn't ...

huh ... well ... java applets ... (also not a virus)

also harm done -> 0

Thats kaspersky, a company who wants to sell their Mac products ;)

I think I know a little about "how to code" and it really isn't ...

Security software vendors said they saw a spike in sales of Mac anti-virus products in the wake of the Flashback outbreak. Some experts hadcriticised Apple’s response to the threat; it did not patch the vulnerability exploited by the cyber criminals until three months after it was discovered.

Hmmm... interesting. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/9355995/Apple-drops-virus-immunity-claim-for-Macs.html 

Security software vendors said they saw a spike in sales of Mac anti-virus products in the wake of the Flashback outbreak. 

they sold tools that did more harm then the damage they prevented :D

deleting unaffected user files.

hail to the "security" companies

edit: also funny how they included 5 Pre-OS X examples :D

To answer the question at hand, I like Kaspersky. However I'm currently using Norton 360 because Norton threw it at me for free. *shrug*

13" Macbook Pro i7 (I7-3520M) | 16gb RAM | 128gb Sandisk SSD

Current build------------------------------Future build↓ 
Intel Core i7-4790K 3.5GHz Quad-Core | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 | 128gb Sandisk SSD | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM Liquid

To answer the question at hand, I like Kaspersky. However I'm currently using Norton 360 because Norton threw it at me for free. *shrug*

I've only heard bad things about norton :/ like my friend said it considers other anti viruses a virus.

OT: I personally use avira because i can have it for my phone and PC and just sync everything up nicely.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I've only heard bad things about norton :/ like my friend said it considers other anti viruses a virus.

OT: I personally use avira because i can have it for my phone and PC and just sync everything up nicely.

Yeah I get quite a few infected computers on my bench with active Norton 360 subscriptions, however I practice pretty safe browsing habits so it really doesn't do any harm to have it on for the rest of the year.

13" Macbook Pro i7 (I7-3520M) | 16gb RAM | 128gb Sandisk SSD

Current build------------------------------Future build↓ 
Intel Core i7-4790K 3.5GHz Quad-Core | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 | 128gb Sandisk SSD | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM Liquid

I'm currently using avira. I tried a few free ones but I always returned to avira. why? avg broke my windows and always stopped steam downloads and refused to let me play war thunder. and the others had a UI I did not like. I don't know which protected my pc the best but avira seems to be okay enough

it's time for some jolly cooperation!

Avast has served and protect me really well.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Avast has served and protect me really well.

This.

Avast! free coupled with Malwarebytes free and adwcleaner free have been good enough for me. I have used these programs for years and I have never had any major issues or infections.

I also have µblock add-on with malware lists and mywot add-on on my browsers (Opera & Chrome) for extra protection.

Awareness, Avast, Malwarebytes, and the occasional virustotal upload in a blue moon.

System Specs

CPU: FX-6350 (O.C. 4.6GHz Stable / 4.8GHz Unstable-incomplete)Cooler: Hyper Evo 212Mobo: 990fxa-ud3 Rev.3RAM: G.Skill 1866 2x4GBGPU: MSI R7870-2GD5T/OC x2 (O.C. 1120/1320-Summer 1160/1350-Winter)NIC: PCE-N15PSU: Seasonic X-650 Gold+Case: CM Storm ScoutStorage: 120 Samsung 840 SSD 2x1TB HDDBattery Backup-APC 650Mouse: G600Keyboard: G510Gamepad: PS3 Dualshock 3 VIA BluetoothMonitor: ViewSonic VX2253 (cheap from craigslist, owned this before build)

Computer virus

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to be confused with Worm (software)  or Trojan Horse (computing).

A computer virus is a malware program that, when executed, replicates by inserting copies of itself (possibly modified) into other computer programs, data files, or the boot sector of the hard drive; when this replication succeeds, the affected areas are then said to be "infected"

virus = worm but is so old and so crappy it only spread using physical storage connections eg: USB's, CD's, DVD's SDcards

I'm currently using avira. I tried a few free ones but I always returned to avira. why? avg broke my windows and always stopped steam downloads and refused to let me play war thunder. and the others had a UI I did not like. I don't know which protected my pc the best but avira seems to be okay enough

were you using AVG 2013 or 2014? 

And did you report the bugs, glitches and/or issues to AVG?  I've never once heard of AVG breaking Windows and stopping perfectly safe downloads.