Groovy Bot is Shutting Down

Summary

YouTube/Google sent the Groovy bot team a cease and desist order forcing shutdown by August 30th, 2021. 

Quotes

Google wants the service gone within seven days, and Groovy is complying by shutting down its bot on August 30th.

Google confirmed to The Verge that it took action in this case: “We notified Groovy about violations of our Terms of Service, including modifying the service and using it for commercial purposes,” a YouTube spokesperson writes, adding that its APIs are for developers who comply with its terms of service.

“Groovy has been a huge part of my life over the past five years. It started because my friend’s bot sucked and I thought I could make a better one,” says Nik Ammerlaan, Groovy Bot owner, in a message announcing the closure.

My thoughts

I am pretty shocked at the news. Given that groovy bot is five years old and used on "16 million Discord servers" with hundreds of millions of users, it is crazy Google would do this now. Most of the discord servers I am part of, from small friend servers to large communities, use groovy bot. It is so shocking that it will have to be replaced everywhere. I do not have sources for this part, but others state that YouTube might be working with Discord more closely now for some first-party integration. Recently YouTube/Discord started offering free trials of Nitro for YouTube Premium subscribers or free trails of YouTube Premium for Nitro subscribers. When talking to The Verge, Nick Ammerlaan, the creator of Groovy bot, stated, "They probably just didn't know about it, to be honest." Which I find hard to believe.

Sources

YouTube is forcing the popular Groovy Discord music bot offline

3 Months YouTube Premium for Discord Nitro Users Promo FAQ

This be sad

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

14 minutes ago, Aisgbnok said:

"They probably just didn't know about it, to be honest." Which I find hard to believe.

I don't. Its a very niche service, and even people who knew about it, like me, might not have even realized there was a paid version of that service which is what caused the ToS violation.

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

I don't. Its a very niche service, and even people who knew about it, like me, might not have even realized there was a paid version of that service which is what caused the ToS violation.

Yeah you could be right. I know lots of developers that work at Microsoft, Google, etc. that play video games with friends on Discord servers that use Groovy regularly. However, those developers are not the same as the executives and business/management employees making this legal decision.

35 minutes ago, poochyena said:

I've known about groovy bot for years now but never knew there was a paid version. Was that recent or has that been a thing?

1 minute ago, lieutent said:

I've known about groovy bot for years now but never knew there was a paid version. Was that recent or has that been a thing?

They just hosted multiple instances on the bot and got you to pay to add another instance to your server (ie. Groovy 4, Groovy 5) so if two people were listening at once nobody would argue over the bot.

You could completely bypass this by literally just changing the user-id in the invite URL though lmao

2 hours ago, Aisgbnok said:

Summary

YouTube/Google sent the Groovy bot team a cease and desist order forcing shutdown by August 30th, 2021. 

Quotes

My thoughts

I am pretty shocked at the news. Given that groovy bot is five years old and used on "16 million Discord servers" with hundreds of millions of users, it is crazy Google would do this now. Most of the discord servers I am part of, from small friend servers to large communities, use groovy bot. It is so shocking that it will have to be replaced everywhere. I do not have sources for this part, but others state that YouTube might be working with Discord more closely now for some first-party integration. Recently YouTube/Discord started offering free trials of Nitro for YouTube Premium subscribers or free trails of YouTube Premium for Nitro subscribers. When talking to The Verge, Nick Ammerlaan, the creator of Groovy bot, stated, "They probably just didn't know about it, to be honest." Which I find hard to believe.

Sources

Damn. Now I can't rickroll listening parties

Bye groovy. Hi rhythm(assuming it lives!

-p the big sad

Capture.PNG

what does this do/did?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

The dilemma why I didn't add music playback to my bot.

The sheer bandwidth required if only one fourth of my userbase wanted to use that feature left me with the decision of simply disabling that feature or monetize it with a similar optional way groovy did...

Was aware that Google might had come after me so I opted by disabling it, lost a major chunk of my userbase but don't regret it, wrote it for myself and my friends, third parties using it are secondary and not that important to me.

Shame, also used groovy myself.

Pardon my french, but what the fuck, Google?

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

10 hours ago, Aisgbnok said:

Summary

Quotes

My thoughts

Sources

You need to fix the verge link

It should be https:// not https//

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Google gotta capitalised everything.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

2 hours ago, sof006 said:

You need to fix the verge link

It should be https:// not https//

Sorry. Fixed.

18 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

Google gotta capitalised everything.

I mean that was the whole point of buying youtube...

Btw, what's groovy bot? Can't people just use mantaro or what its called? (Not into discord much, great idea, but capitalisation/ monetization  destroys everything apparently, plus its just too volatile imo, "check the stickies" isnt a great alternative  to discussion,  especially when the "stickies" don't really contain the info I'm seeking or are outdated as heck...)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

It was a pretty massive TOS violation before even knowing about the paid portion of it. Taking bandwidth from google with the API and then stripping both advertisement and regional licensing (which is honestly a bigger deal). I'm sure that annoyed google but not enough to take action cause its just whack a mole, but that groovy tried to monotize breaking google's tos... thats just an "of course" moment. 

It literally was acting no different then certain pirate stream sites that pretend they were ok because they didnt host anything, just used google api. 

Also I dont understand why people used it anyways, double audio compression when you can just join in on someone's spotify listen session in discord? just a weird choice. 

3 hours ago, starsmine said:

It was a pretty massive TOS violation before even knowing about the paid portion of it. Taking bandwidth from google with the API and then stripping both advertisement and regional licensing (which is honestly a bigger deal). I'm sure that annoyed google but not enough to take action cause its just whack a mole, but that groovy tried to monotize breaking google's tos... thats just an "of course" moment. 

I think you summarise Google's rational on it very well. It's not in their best interest to allow this service to keep going, it's not like adverts play during the queue either, these bots circumvented Google's ads.

3 hours ago, starsmine said:

Also I dont understand why people used it anyways, double audio compression when you can just join in on someone's spotify listen session in discord? just a weird choice. 

This assumes all your friends use Spotify too, not to mention they'd actually all join in on Spotify listening session. From my experience it's just easier to get wider adoption if everything is in one service without having to use other applications or program. iMessage for example, is so popular because it's baked right into iOS there's next to no setup. That's why it's so widely used and popular not because it is significantly better than it's competition.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Kisai said:

Update.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/22/22687492/discord-youtube-integration-watch-together-feature-beta

Discord and Youtube have begun a "watch together" feature which is what groovy bot was previously a use case for.

Lawsuit incoming?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately