Government signs £5.5m Microsoft deal to extend Windows XP support

JantsoP

The deal has been negotiated by the new Crown Commercial Service (CCS), set up within the Cabinet Office to act as a single public sector-wide purchasing and commercial operation. The extended support is available to all of central and local government, schools and the NHS.

Huh. Guess UK is not busy to upgrade from Win XP to new Windows versions. On Friday and Dutch magazine reports that Dutch goverment will continue support for XP since they bought support for it from microsoft

UK Source: http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240217389/Government-signs-55m-Microsoft-deal-to-extend-Windows-XP-support

Dutch Source: http://webwereld.nl/beveiliging/82035-rijk-koopt-xpocalypse-af-via-extra-support-van-microsoft

Also lookked for double did not find anything

While this deal is good for those agencies they really should have gotten off their asses years ago and made plans for updating their systems.

if this keeps happening windows xp support will outlast vista and 7

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

wtf...

Some things people just need to let go. 

While this deal is good for those agencies they really should have gotten off their asses years ago and made plans for updating their systems.

Let it go, let it go. Don't hold XP back anymore!

It would cost a hell of a lot more than £5.5 million to overhaul their IT systems from XP to whatever newer version of Windows they pick. Probably hundreds of millions.

It would cost a hell of a lot more than £5.5 million to overhaul their IT systems from XP to whatever newer version of Windows they pick. Probably hundreds of millions.

Linux...

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

Why not spend the money on upgrading? It's going to have to be done sometime anyway.

Because they will still need support while they are upgrading. It isnt an overnight process.

This 5.5m only lasts a year and part of the requirement is for anyone that uses it to have an upgrade plan so all it's doing it delaying spending those hundreds of millions and adding another 5 million on to it. If they had actually had put together plans when Microsoft announced the EOL date for XP this wouldn't be a problem.

But linux is free if money is a issue :P

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Linux...

Yes whatever.

It is still true that it would cost more money and time to upgrade than it would to pay £5.5 million for extended support while they switch. Linux could possibly cost more as they would need to train staff to use the new systems.

Because they will still need support while they are upgrading. It isnt an overnight process.

while that is very true, this is also a process that could have been done over the course of even the past year and been ready on time. they are simply being lazy with this.

But linux is free if money is a issue :P

The OS is free, that is the ONLY free part about it. You have to pay to get support from Linux companies, pay to train people on a completely different OS, pay for new software if what they use doesn't work, etc.

Yes whatever.

It is still true that it would cost more money and time to upgrade than it would to pay £5.5 million for extended support while they switch. Linux could possibly cost more as they would need to train staff to use the new systems.

I guess you got a point. Plus the cost of porting the software to Linux, and I'm pretty sure they are using ancient hardware so a upgrade would be nice

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

I guess you got a point. Plus the cost of porting the software to Linux, and I'm pretty sure they are using ancient hardware so a upgrade would be nice

Hardware is typically upgraded every 1 - 3 years. They lease  it on a 3 year depreciation cycle.

Every school that I know of here leases computers from companies like Viglen, RM or Dell. I dont see why a hospital or other government organisation would be any different.

YAY!!! That means I won't have to upgrade all my PCs anymore. =^.^=

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

YAY!!! That means I won't have to upgrade all my PCs anymore. =^.^=

A government organisation has bought 1 year of support from microsoft. You wont get anything from it.

FFS i know every hates change but XP out dated and if they really want to use microsoft OS then windows 7 is a very very nice OS. 
Most compays just need basic word, excel and database which are all available for free on most linux distro's.

That 5.5m could off got to much better use's like bio-fuels or better medical care, etc.

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

My god, at least get Vista.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just use Ubuntu LTS already for fucks sake. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Some things people just need to let go. 

Let go and grab W8. No thanks. The government made a wise choice in spending this money otherwise it would have cost much more to have upgraded every XP machine in the government's jurisdiction. Also XP was expensive so the UK govt wants to get every pennies worth back from M$. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard