Government signs £5.5m Microsoft deal to extend Windows XP support

JantsoP

At my school we are well ahead of schedule as we have been running a windows server 2012 (i think.. maybe 2008 r2.) domain with win 7 64bit machines for a few years now, we lease software licenses but buy server hardware from dell.

New government rules are removing responsibilities away from local authorities and onto schools themselves (SIMS/CERCO data management, broadband supply, email etc) within the next few months, and every NHS computer i've seen is windows 7, so I assume this is primarily for central government.

by now every one should be running at least WIN 7 no excuse, you can run 7 in anything with a fan.

PC Gaming forever...

I think 85 to 90 percent of cash machines still run windows XP so I can see why they have done this

I think 85 to 90 percent of cash machines still run windows XP so I can see why they have done this

Those cash machines don't get access to these updates...

This is for the UK Government offices only. So that's government buildings, schools, hospitals, etc. Any POS systems they have will of course get the updates, but all other POS systems, atms, etc, will either get no updates, or the company that owns them will have to negotiate their own extended support contract with Microsoft.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well, it's too late. These businesses are SCREWED. FUCKING DEAL WITH IT!!! WINDOWS XP IS DEAD. DEAL WITH IT.

/rant.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

YAY!!! That means I won't have to upgrade all my PCs anymore. =^.^=

yes you will, this is only for the people paying for it. 

Its all a game, you upgrade then it becomes non-existent, then you upgrade again. Just saying that you could still save all those computers by switching into a vm and running that precious into the win xp. You would no longer need Microsoft if I am correct.

1) you aren't correct, switching them to VMS makes them easier to nuke and replace when they inevitably start getting viruses, it doesn't make them any more or less secure overall

2) It's not a "game" it's business, MS can't afford to support software forever unless someone is paying them to do so. They are still a company and they still need to make money, you buy software you get to use it with support until EOL, then you can keep using it if you want but you're on your own.