Which is better leaded gasoline vs unleaded?

Leaded_gasoline

Think that lead is no more harmful to nature. Which is better? For example (Speed, Which is cheaper, Engine's health).

I5 9400F RX580 16GB RAM

4 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Where can you even buy leaded gasoline?

You don't, you buy an additive to add to the fuel you throw in for older cars these days... (I'm not a car guy I just heard this on the internet so it must be true) 🙂

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

5 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

You don't, you buy an additive to add to the fuel you throw in for older cars these days... (I'm not a car guy I just heard this on the internet so it must be true) 🙂

I mean which is best? Let's talk.

I5 9400F RX580 16GB RAM

2 minutes ago, Leaded_gasoline said:

You should consult your nearest oracle... I'm not the One.

20210725_042821.jpg

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Man, there is "off topic", and then there is off topic. Maybe try a forum for auto enthusiasts or gearheads. I'm pretty sure LTT isn't the place to get the best answers for a question like this.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

Man, there is "off topic", and then there is off topic. Maybe try a forum for auto enthusiasts or gearheads. I'm pretty sure LTT isn't the place to get the best answers for a question like this.

Sorry i'll not do it again.

I5 9400F RX580 16GB RAM

Just now, Leaded_gasoline said:

Sorry i'll not do it again.

No, it's not a problem per se. I'm just saying you're probably wasting your time asking here. You might get lucky and find someone with the necessary crossover of interests/knowledge, but you'd have far better odds of getting a solid answer to a question like this on a forum that specifically deals with motors and vehicles.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

4 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

No, it's not a problem per se. I'm just saying you're probably wasting your time asking here. You might get lucky and find someone with the necessary crossover of interests/knowledge, but you'd have far better odds of getting a solid answer to a question like this on a forum that specifically deals with motors and vehicles.

At least I can tell you what the purpose was for having lead in gas.
Had to do with the valve seats in the head of an engine wearing out, they discovered way back in the day adding lead eliminated this wear.
Today you have hardened valve seats which makes the addition of lead no longer required, the addition of lead itself never did enhance the fuel for more power or efficiency.
Yes you can buy an additive that does the same thing for valves lead used to do, it's for older engines that do not have the hardened valve seats.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

3 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

At least I can tell you what the purpose was for having lead in gas.
Had to do with the valve seats in the head of an engine wearing out, they discovered way back in the day adding lead eliminated this wear.
Today you have hardened valve seats which makes the addition of lead no longer required, the addition of lead itself never did enhance the fuel for more power or efficiency.
Yes you can buy an additive that does the same thing for valves lead used to do, it's for older engines that do not have the hardened valve seats.

Lead was added to improve octane and reduce knock back in the 20s since gas was pretty shit back then. I don't really think the effect of lead on valve seats was a known thing until later on.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

5 minutes ago, James Evens said:

@Beerzerker But technology advanced. Now there are auditives on the market which do the same with lower impact on the environment/health so I don't see the point in the continuous use of lead.

Not even sure if you are allowed to buy these chemical's anymore. It is unusable for explosive production (which would outright mean it is restricted) but might still be restricted due to the environmental impact even chemicals like DCM (e.g. "welding" plastics) are difficult to buy.

I didn't say lead was added anymore because it's not added to any fuels you can get sold at the pump today.
There are some lead "Substitutes" that's used for older engines that need the lubricating effect lead had on the valve seats the older engines have, newer engines (From about 1974 and onward) have the hardened valve seats so you don't need to worry about needing lead in the gas.
The hardened valve seat are WHY you no longer need any lead in fuel.

Never realized lead was a component of octane but probrably not a critical one, you can get high octane fuel that's unleaded but I've have to think back in the day they used lead because they didn't know any other way to do it.
Never be too old to learn or at least be reminded of what you forgot.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

Fun fact: Violence has been declining in developed countries for a couple of decades, which roughly correlates with taking lead out of fuel and other products such as paint. Lead is a neurotoxin, with one of the symptoms being aggression. There is a theory (unprovable because ethics) that the violence that blighted the 20th century, particularly cities, was in part caused by lead in the environment. Everyone had mild lead poising, making them a bit angrier than they would have been otherwise.           

8 hours ago, Leaded_gasoline said:

Unleaded fuel is best for anything you want to last long term and generally be street legal.  Leaded fuel is actually still available but it's special purpose and extremely expensive.  Sunoco, VP and several other brands that make 100+ octane race fuels that still contain lead.  They usually run somewhere at a minimum around $15 to over $30USD per gallon and can be purchased in 5 gallon to 55 gallon drums. Piston engine aircraft fuel normally called 100LL (100 octane, low lead) fuel from an airport is also leaded fuel but hard to get unless you know someone.

Like others have mentioned, lead was initially an octane booster and anti-knock additive.  The valve thing was found out as part of it testing and use. 

Downsides, environmental obviously that lead in the air is a bad thing.  It will also damage modern engines not designed for it.  On a fuel injected engine, Leaded fuel will very quickly damage the O2 sensor in your exhaust and it will also permanently damage the catalytic convertor.  Long term use of lead will also build up hard lead oxide deposits in both the combustion chamber and will fill the gap around your sparkplugs insulator and the outer casing causing them to short out and fail in a very short amount of time.  In aircraft piston engines that are even designed to run on the stuff you need to periodically pull the spark plugs and clean the lead out of them (sometimes as short as 100hours of use).  As already mentioned the downfall to how much it costs as well as the fact that as far as I know, in the US at least, it is illegal to run in a street car.

Here is a list of the fuels VP makes with a column for leaded/unleaded.   https://vpracingfuels.com/master-fuel-tables/#fuel-tables

The same list for Sunoco. https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuels/compare-fuels?fid=39

You don't think leaded fuel is any more harmful? You're wrong. Plain and simple.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

9 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

I didn't say lead was added anymore because it's not added to any fuels you can get sold at the pump today.
There are some lead "Substitutes" that's used for older engines that need the lubricating effect lead had on the valve seats the older engines have, newer engines (From about 1974 and onward) have the hardened valve seats so you don't need to worry about needing lead in the gas.
The hardened valve seat are WHY you no longer need any lead in fuel.

Never realized lead was a component of octane but probrably not a critical one, you can get high octane fuel that's unleaded but I've have to think back in the day they used lead because they didn't know any other way to do it.
Never be too old to learn or at least be reminded of what you forgot.

A similar issue arises from using ultra low sulfur diesel in older diesel engines. The older mechanical pumps relied on the sulfur in diesel to enhance the lubricity on wear surfaces, so running an older diesel with new fuel can cause wear on parts that need very small tolerances to function. Thankfully, there are additives that have other ways of adding this lubricity when running ultra low sulfur diesel in old engines.

I know some aircooled VW guys that run some lead substitute in some of their original engines, though many of them have had them gone through and the valve seats changed or replaced the entire heads.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

10 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

And the user name to match?  This is like someone's weird AI post bot let loose while their dev partner asks 'Why did you train it on 1970's gas trivia???'

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

A car mechanic told me that Lead runs worse than modern gasoline, produces more bad waste, & makes the inside of your engine dirtier.
It may have been better than what was available when it was created, but modern gas is better in every way from what I've been told.

Also lead gasoline is illegal in just about every country. No one makes it anymore & cars aren't designed to use it anymore.

Diesel is best though iirc.

Unleaded. Even if it did run better in an engine - which it doesn't assuming the engine was built for unleaded fuel - I consider it impolite to damage the essential organs of or even kill pedestrians and wildlife just so that the car runs negligibly better.

18 hours ago, Leaded_gasoline said:

Think that lead is no more harmful to nature.

Then you're wrong. Lead is quite literally a poison, and until a few decades ago motor vehicles were quite happy releasing into the atmosphere. There are other unpleasant things that come from exhaust fumes, but lead was one of the worst; it's a good thing it's gone now.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

2 hours ago, SGT-AMD said:

In the U.S., it was banned in 1996....

In the turkey it was banned in 2006.

I5 9400F RX580 16GB RAM

Lead in gas will not do anything to help out your engine. Yes there is a little lead in super high octane race gas but the reason people use 110+ gas is because they run very high compression and the only way to reduce knock in that instance is to put in higher octane gas. Like my Harley i have 10.5:1 compression ratio and if i run anything lower than 91 gas it'll knock.

My grandpas boat, a very well taken care of Ski Nautique was originally built to run on leaded gas so when i was younger whenever he filled it up he would dump in a few oz of lead additive to it. In the last like 5 or so years he rebuilt the engine using modern parts for both more power and to no longer need the lead additive.

On 7/25/2021 at 7:58 AM, pythonmegapixel said:

Unleaded. Even if it did run better in an engine - which it doesn't assuming the engine was built for unleaded fuel - I consider it impolite to damage the essential organs of or even kill pedestrians and wildlife just so that the car runs negligibly better.

Then you're wrong. Lead is quite literally a poison, and until a few decades ago motor vehicles were quite happy releasing into the atmosphere. There are other unpleasant things that come from exhaust fumes, but lead was one of the worst; it's a good thing it's gone now.

Yes, that's completely impolite to do BUT at the same time this is stretching it juuuuust a teeny bit.

I am not saying it couldn't have had any harmful effects but from the way this is worded, sounds like if one happens to driveby while running leaded fuel it would be as quick and deadly as mustard gas to all else around.

On 7/24/2021 at 1:17 PM, Monkey Dust said:

Fun fact: Violence has been declining in developed countries for a couple of decades, which roughly correlates with taking lead out of fuel and other products such as paint. Lead is a neurotoxin, with one of the symptoms being aggression. There is a theory (unprovable because ethics) that the violence that blighted the 20th century, particularly cities, was in part caused by lead in the environment. Everyone had mild lead poising, making them a bit angrier than they would have been otherwise.           

hmm its that saying that everything is killing us...bit by bit....

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

6 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Yes, that's completely impolite to do BUT at the same time this is stretching it juuuuust a teeny bit.

I am not saying it couldn't have had any harmful effects but from the way this is worded, sounds like if one happens to driveby while running leaded fuel it would be as quick and deadly as mustard gas to all else around.

I could see why you would get that implication, and you're quite right.... one person driving past burning leaded gas is unlikely to do much harm. But if lots of people switched to it, to the point where the quantities of lead in the air were once again significant, then it could have a profound effect.

(Of course that's extremely unlikely to happen even if it was somehow proven to be better, so in a way both of my past two posts were pointless - because modern engines aren't designed to run leaded fuel, at the very least they would need to be tuned differently for it, the engine won't run properly and it could cause damage.)

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

6 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

image.png.721a9212783f2a713ffec7f8e91fa380.png:

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/lead-poisoning-and-health

image.thumb.png.0433f7e59abd601d18bf74106f34370c.png

https://www.cdc.gov/biomonitoring/lead_factsheet.html

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

8 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

With respect:
No shiite!

It has it's risks but I stand by what I said before.
It's not instant death if a vehicle that's using it rolls by anyone.

Just now, Beerzerker said:

With respect:
No shiite!

It has it's risks but I stand by what I said before.
It's not instant death if a vehicle that's using it rolls by anyone.

Shite or no shite, only an ignorant person (with respect) would tolerate any amount of lead pumped into the air next to him.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet