Windows to be FREE on devices under 9"

LinusTech

Smart move.  People like consistency, if they can get the phone and tablet cheaper and the desktop works the same way then that will be a boost in pc sales spurred on from the mobile market share. 

It also won't matter if it is a cut down version or not,  when people use android or ios the apps they use are cut down and designed for the os anyway, it not like anyone will be trying to run a full copy of office on their phone/tablet. especially considering with this version they get a free copy of office 365.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

DANGIT! I need to make my computer 9 inches now

get a super old 9" monitor for it, get win 8.1, then go back to what you have :P

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

Smart move.  People like consistency, if they can get the phone and tablet cheaper and the desktop works the same way then that will be a boost in pc sales spurred on from the mobile market share. 

Yeah, and synergy betweens devices will play a huge part in getting people onto Windows Smartphones / Tablets. There's so much potential for MS in that area. I think they're understanding that now.

Hey maybe vendors can put a small LCD screen on the 5 inch optical bays and get the free license and a cool temperature monitor that can technically be used as the smaller than 9 inches screen anway

Like so: 
top.jpg

Done now sell it to me with free windows, kthxbye.

-------

Current Rig

-------

A little late to the party Microsoft..

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

Hey maybe vendors can put a small LCD screen on the 5 inch optical bays and get the free license and a cool temperature monitor that can technically be used as the smaller than 9 inches screen anway

I've been waiting centuries for one of those to exist.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

wVpQs8C.jpg

Original Article: http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/2/5574146/microsoft-making-windows-free-on-devices-with-screens-under-nine/in/5338899

Build 2014 has been full of all kinds of amazing news, and I apologize in advance if someone posted this already, but to me this is one of the biggest things at the event. It's not the first time they've done something smililar - Netbooks were given discounted Windows XP licenses when cheap Linux netbooks started popping up all over the place, but netbooks restricted how big the screen could be as well as how high spec'ed the machine could be.

Now, we get 9" screens with full Windows compatibilty.

Count me in.

DANGIT! I need to make my computer 9 inches now

How free is it? Is it totally free, or with advertisements?

Yeah but which version? A fully featured one or another, gimped fucking version like that RT one? Or the "basic" or whatever that didn't even let you change wallpapers?

If it's just mobiles and tablets they'd have to do a lot better than that to compete with Android's "less than free" approach.

Cheap 8" windows tablets? Consider me sold.

Is it Windows RT or Windows 8? If it's Windows RT then I couldn't care less. If it's Windows 8 then this is good news (unless they decide to gimp it like they did with Windows 7 starter).

you mean nadela also i wonder if this aplies to win 8 tablets or just WP and winRT?

At least they are promoting windows tablets. Shame they didn't say 10.1" and under. That was probably very deliberate.

Is not only tablets.. 

windows-free-on-small-devices.jpg

It means free Windows Phone OS 8.1 and Windows 8.1 for OEMs

Come on Linux, slay the demon

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

Heavy-breathing-cat.jpg

Edit: I see that this only applies for OEM, not for end users.*sigh*. But still tablets/netbooks/phones can possibly be cheaper to own.

1389797136244317.jpg

There are applications and programs that enable the user to make their device appear as if it's another device. Market helper is one of these applications http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2146216 I personally used it with my SIII to instal applications that were deemed inconpatible (i.e: Not optimal) for my device.

Market Helper is of course Android only, but if Windows goes through this, MH will be only the tip of the iceberg.

This would then create problem for Microsoft as people of devices larger than 9" (perhaps even full blown desktop PC's) cheat the system and make it look like they got a < 9" device when they go and download the OS. This would of course come to the attention of Microsoft, whom would probably deem it have second thoughts about the offer, cancels it, and eventually it affects those of us with < 9" devices who try to get Windows legitimately. 

The same case can be said about pirating Windows, though Microsoft does take some precautions to prevent people from doing that.

So what precaution would MS take to prevent people from doing this? Would these free Windows copies be OEM and ONLY available to manufacturers?  

Locala, on 03 Apr 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

-snip-

Read that article. It's for OEMs only.

Inb4 someone makes an exploit which tricks windows into thinking you have a 9" screen and activates windows on a normal sized screen.

I think you guys realize that this is for manufactures, not us. It's to compete against Android OS.

Microsoft is betting for more Windows Store apps to get its money back. It's definitely something we will never see on the desktop and laptop space, as people don't tend to buy and use Windows 8 App, but rather classic desktop Win32 programs.

And that why I want one of these that just came out BAAAAAAAD! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231593

(it came out last week BTW)

Is not only tablets..

It means free Windows Phone OS 8.1 and Windows 8.1 for OEMs

Anything without a touch screen that is under 9" is either a tablet, (possibly with a keyboard+touchpad) or it's useless.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

soooo that would mean cheaper windows phones and tablets? but unless they fix some of the main issues with the windows mobile OS they still have an uphill battle against android and iOS 

Anything without a touch screen that is under 9" is either a tablet, (possibly with a keyboard+touchpad) or it's useless.

That's why I said it's not only tablets...

It means free Windows Phone OS 8.1(smartphones) and Windows 8.1(tablets) for OEMs

so if I buy a 8 inch screen for my pc...

and then replace it later on... hehehe

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

NO!

If you are Dell, or HP, or Lenovo, or any fine large computer manufactures than yes.

If not, you can't get it.

If you are Dell, or HP, or Lenovo, or any fine large computer manufactures than yes.

If not, you can't get it.

woah woah. i understand. :P was just a joke but thank you :)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1