Windows to be FREE on devices under 9"

LinusTech

wVpQs8C.jpg

Original Article: http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/2/5574146/microsoft-making-windows-free-on-devices-with-screens-under-nine/in/5338899

Build 2014 has been full of all kinds of amazing news, and I apologize in advance if someone posted this already, but to me this is one of the biggest things at the event. It's not the first time they've done something smililar - Netbooks were given discounted Windows XP licenses when cheap Linux netbooks started popping up all over the place, but netbooks restricted how big the screen could be as well as how high spec'ed the machine could be.

Now, we get 9" screens with full Windows compatibilty.

Count me in.

DANGIT! I need to make my computer 9 inches now

Diamond 5 in League :)

Hurray free windows on platforms that can't fully optimize windows! :D (generally speaking; there are exceptions to everything)

Besides, presumably this would only be on tablets and other mobile platforms-- why would they not just be using android? I'm pumped that windows is starting to be a little bit more open, yet, I still don't think this is usable to most people out there. 

There's my $0.02

//ccap

Wow... That sounds amazing, good move Microsoft!!! It'll be interesting to see what appears on the market now.

Well this is just fantastic...

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

My "device" (wink wink) isn't under 9", so I guess this doesn't apply to me. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

How free is it? Is it totally free, or with advertisements?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

My "device" (wink wink) isn't under 9", so I guess this doesn't apply to me. 

I see what you did there

Microsoft has made some good decisions lately. Good job Microsoft :-)

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Nelson has had a really positive start at the company

you think a post by linus would have people all over it.lol i think this is just the start of windows being devalued which means that microsoft certificate is being devalued as well.

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

Seems a legit move... will have to wait and see what happens now,

Microsoft did the play, now can they go for more and make it more than just a move.

Against All Odds pc build

AMD Athlon II x4 750k///MSI A55m E33///Kingston hyper x blue 8gb (2x4)///corsair cx430///EVGA GTX 750 SC///Rosewill FBM 01///Samsung EVO 850 120gb///Windows 8.1///Corsair Raptor k40

Yeah but which version? A fully featured one or another, gimped fucking version like that RT one? Or the "basic" or whatever that didn't even let you change wallpapers?

If it's just mobiles and tablets they'd have to do a lot better than that to compete with Android's "less than free" approach.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Cheap 8" windows tablets? Consider me sold.

Asus P8Z68-V # Intel i7-2600k # CM 212+ # Asus GTX680 # 4x8GB A-Data Premiere Pro # 1TB + 3TB Seagate SATAIII 64MB # A-DATA SSD S511 60GB SATAIII # Corsair TX-850 850W # Thermaltake Spacecraft

Is it Windows RT or Windows 8? If it's Windows RT then I couldn't care less. If it's Windows 8 then this is good news (unless they decide to gimp it like they did with Windows 7 starter).

I think that this its the beginning of something

It's the beginning of the end!  The Windows brand is in real trouble.

I think that this its the beginning of something

Yeah, its a pretty desperate move for Microsoft to make.

There is NO way it is going to replace Linux/Android on mobile.

Nelson has had a really positive start at the company

you mean nadela also i wonder if this aplies to win 8 tablets or just WP and winRT?

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Yes please. Windows "Starter" was a stupid concept from the beginning

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Nice try, Microsoft.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

At least they are promoting windows tablets. Shame they didn't say 10.1" and under. That was probably very deliberate.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

must buy 9 inch monitor  :D 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

They're taking steps to be relevant in the portable consumer market. And steps in the right direction.

Considering how Apple and Google have steam rolled them in that area. I'm glad they're taking steps to address that, and not just sitting back and doing nothing.