Windows to be FREE on devices under 9"

LinusTech

Read that article. It's for OEMs only.

I did, and I read it again. There's nothing that explicitly indicates only manufacturers will get it.

And as I said before "Would these free Windows copies be OEM and ONLY available to manufacturers?"

Despite the calling it OEM, OEM copies of Windows aren't just accessible to manufacturers these days. Everyone and their grandma can buy one. 

I'm sure the 9" thing is just their way of saying 'small device' not any PC with a small monitor. I would bet it's going to be based on the devices UEFI and probably TPM being enabled with specific options required that can only be set by the OEM.

I think it's awesome though. I'd love to buy a $200 x86 Windows 8.1 tablet.

I did, and I read it again. There's nothing that explicitly indicates only manufacturers will get it.

And as I said before "Would these free Windows copies be OEM and ONLY available to manufacturers?"

Despite the calling it OEM, OEM copies of Windows aren't just accessible to manufacturers these days. Everyone and their grandma can buy one.

basically you have to be a certified system builder at least likely but they probably have a long list of requirements to get the free version. I have to ask at the local PC shop where I interned since their company is a registered system builder.

where to buy a 9 inch lcd screen for my pc jk jk :P

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

where to buy a 9 inch lcd screen for my pc jk jk :P

itll probably cost more that a 21in lol :P

Nice. Free windows? Does anyone know where you can get an 8" monitor :P

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

soooo that would mean cheaper windows phones and tablets? but unless they fix some of the main issues with the windows mobile OS they still have an uphill battle against android and iOS 

I guess you didn't hear about windows phone 8.1 and the new updates to windows 8.1 did you?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/134871-microsoft-build-day-1-keynote-2014/

Just watch the first youtube link to get all the main points.

Locala, on 03 Apr 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Weird. I think I read that on The Verge but I can't seem to find it anymore. Nvm. Here's another article.  http://www.fonearena.com/blog/100437/microsoft-to-make-windows-free-for-devices-with-screens-under-9-inches.html

No. The "OEM" version that you get in stores is called 'System Builder OEM'. Retail stores are miss identifying it.

OEM version of Windows have strict requirement to get it. This is something Microsoft implemented very strictly, to avoid the Vista effect, where manufacture where selling completely under powered systems running Vista, resulting in poor performance of the OS, and everyone was complaining on sucky it was. And this is why Vista had a split, where gamers had a fine experience with the OS, but everyone else, couldn't even drag a window smoothly across the screen.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess you didn't hear about windows phone 8.1 and the new updates to windows 8.1 did you?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/134871-microsoft-build-day-1-keynote-2014/

Just watch the first youtube link to get all the main points.

wow, microsoft really brought their game. quite impressed with the cortana. windows marketplace also looking quite better nowadays! thanks for the heads up