Beats Studio Buds may be real.

fUnDaMeNtAl_knobhead
2 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

you are pretty deluded then. Anybody can find a laptop better than the Intel Macbook Air for a thousand dollars. You can get a tigerlake i5 or a ryzen 5 for that price with great build quality, better thermals, better battery life and overall better things. I am comparing the Intel one. They got pretty good with ARM.

You could actually provide an example to make this easier. Afaik Apple is actually cheap for the screen quality they offer even in the low tier MacBooks, thermals were always a problem, but you do get a good screen, ssd, quite solid and nice looking machine with great touchpad. It's a norm that normal laptop will be lacking in one of those departments, combine this with system running well before getting bloated and it's easy to see why they are popular.

12 minutes ago, Loote said:

You could actually provide an example to make this easier. Afaik Apple is actually cheap for the screen quality they offer even in the low tier MacBooks, thermals were always a problem, but you do get a good screen, ssd, quite solid and nice looking machine with great touchpad. It's a norm that normal laptop will be lacking in one of those departments, combine this with system running well before getting bloated and it's easy to see why they are popular.

They were popular. But it was a much sensible decision to get a windows laptop instead of the mba. It had started to suck really hard. Some macbooks were good, for their price. And unfortunately the Intel Macbook air is not one of them.

2 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

They were popular. But it was a much sensible decision to get a windows laptop instead of the mba. It had started to suck really hard. Some macbooks were good, for their price. And unfortunately the Intel Macbook air is not one of them.

And I don't know whuch country you live in, but having an SSD is the norm for sub 1000 dollar laptops. You do get really good buildquality if you get something like a higher end metal dell or a microsoft laptop. They will have good touchpads and may even throw in a touchscreen. And you can bloat any system if you want. I had a really bloated mac os install on my MBP(reinstalled during mojave)

9 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

To be clear, you mean the Intel versions of the current MacBook Air chassis. Remember, the early MacBook Air models (2008 and the 2010 redesign) are the very reason the "ultrabook" category exists. I'd also argue that the quad-core version of the last Intel-based Air was a solid machine, although it clearly isn't as good a value as even a base M1 Air.

13 minutes ago, Commodus said:

To be clear, you mean the Intel versions of the current MacBook Air chassis. Remember, the early MacBook Air models (2008 and the 2010 redesign) are the very reason the "ultrabook" category exists. I'd also argue that the quad-core version of the last Intel-based Air was a solid machine, although it clearly isn't as good a value as even a base M1 Air.

So?! Just because some device invented something doesn't mean all of it's iterations are good. I was referring to the intel macbook airs launched b/w 2017 and 2020. Also, a really expensive machine may be a solid machine, but since you didn't get it, a solid machine also needs a pricetag to  match. 

Anyway, I really do not wish to get into why a the those macbook airs sucked, in a news thread about beats.

8 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

No it didn't. Apple was selling a shitty dual core i3 with 256 gigs of storage for a thousand bucks. For that amount of money, you can get premium windows laptops with near equal amounts of build quality, with an quad core i5, better graphics and a better screen.

You know what, you're right.

Companies like Dell have so much courage. They would never even DREAM of selling a "shitty" dual core i3 with 256 gigs of storage for a thousand bucks- oh wait...

image.thumb.png.876722ca0759a07063c4413c499308fd.png

You had to skimp to reach the MacBook Air. It was either screen, keyboard, battery, or trackpad. This goes for most, if not all laptops even before the ASi switch. I think the only laptop that actually competed well with the MacBook Air was the Surface Laptop, and even then that thing throttles just as bad as an Intel Mac does. I know from experience.

4 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

you are pretty deluded then. Anybody can find a laptop better than the Intel Macbook Air for a thousand dollars. You can get a tigerlake i5 or a ryzen 5 for that price with great build quality, better thermals, better battery life and overall better things. I am comparing the Intel one. They got pretty good with ARM.

According to notebookcheck.net, Tiger Lake-U came out in September of 2020. Did you honestly expect Apple to release a brand new Tiger Lake MacBook Air and then instantly outdate it only two months later with the M1? Not to mention that OEMs were only putting Ryzen-U in cheap plasticbooks in 2020 despite how good it was. So you really skimped on build and display quality if you wanted a Ryzen laptop. And Ryzen-H? Good luck. They were out of stock the entire year.

4 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

In the same way, Apple can make beats a premium audiophile brand. If they only put some effort.

I don't think Apple would want to do that. You open up a serious can of worms when you step into actual professional headphones than high-end consumer headphones. It's an entirely different set of rules. Apple's fluff won't work.

2 hours ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

You know what, you're right.

Companies like Dell have so much courage. They would never even DREAM of selling a "shitty" dual core i3 with 256 gigs of storage for a thousand bucks- oh wait...

image.thumb.png.876722ca0759a07063c4413c499308fd.png

You had to skimp to reach the MacBook Air. It was either screen, keyboard, battery, or trackpad. This goes for most, if not all laptops even before the ASi switch. I think the only laptop that actually competed well with the MacBook Air was the Surface Laptop, and even then that thing throttles just as bad as an Intel Mac does. I know from experience.

According to notebookcheck.net, Tiger Lake-U came out in September of 2020. Did you honestly expect Apple to release a brand new Tiger Lake MacBook Air and then instantly outdate it only two months later with the M1? Not to mention that OEMs were only putting Ryzen-U in cheap plasticbooks in 2020 despite how good it was. So you really skimped on build and display quality if you wanted a Ryzen laptop. And Ryzen-H? Good luck. They were out of stock the entire year.

I don't think Apple would want to do that. You open up a serious can of worms when you step into actual professional headphones than high-end consumer headphones. It's an entirely different set of rules. Apple's fluff won't work.

1. Well, you are quoting the prices of laptops in a chip shortage, But anyway, I'll overlook that fallacy.

2. The screenshot that is supposed to contradict me is actually one of the greatest things of the PC industry. You have choice. You can get crazy high end xps's, but you can also get:

Newest Dell 13.3-Inch 7000 2-in-1 FHD Touchscreen Laptop PC, Intel i5-10210U Up to 4.2GHz, 8GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 32GB Optane, Backlit Keyboard, Fingerprint Reader, Windows 10 w/ Mazepoly Accessories - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Compare this thing to the Macbook Air 2020. Note that it was launched in July of last year.

3. Also apple fluff might just work. Don't make beats a pro brand. Just make it compete with the WH1000XM4's and Bose QC35's of the world. There is a huge market b/w the airpods max and the airpods pro's. In my mind,

Create an ultra-high end 750 dollar beats headphones with really great sound.

Create a 400 dollar headphones that sound as good as the bose 700's and the sony 1000xm4's. Launch a slightly downgraded version of that for 300-350 bucks. Bada-boom, bada-bhish, people stopping bashing beats for sounding bad, and maybe bash them for sounding "meh"

Beats can still be kept alive. They look stylish(garish to me though), and if they just put some of that airpods max goodness and launch it for 400 bucks(not the entire thing, but some parts of it), then it might be seriously cool. It might even genuinely rival bose and sony. Afaik, beats is not that muddled and bassy now. Just overpriced(also you can get better build and sound from headphones that cost 40% less).

Maybe relaunch beats? The company lost it's soul(that is, selling ludicrously overpriced headphones with actors) wiithout dr dre.

Didn't Apple buy beats so they could get rid of them as a competitor in the market and basically take all their technologies and put it into their own brand?

16 hours ago, dizmo said:

They didn't start out as bad as they ended. Their earlier stuff wasn't bad. 

The earlier beats were crap, sound quality didn't match the price and had way too much bass.

12 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

In the same way, Apple can make beats a premium audiophile brand. If they only put some effort. Beats already are the most stylish things out there. If they just cared enough to put some serious speakers and add some good computational audio, I'd think that Sony, bose and sennheiser would have some work to do.

Show me then where is the laptop with as slim and solid of a body with all the things you just said for just a thousand dollars. 

6 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Beats can still be kept alive. They look stylish(garish to me though), and if they just put some of that airpods max goodness and launch it for 400 bucks(not the entire thing, but some parts of it), then it might be seriously cool. It might even genuinely rival bose and sony. Afaik, beats is not that muddled and bassy now. Just overpriced(also you can get better build and sound from headphones that cost 40% less).

Maybe relaunch beats? The company lost it's soul(that is, selling ludicrously overpriced headphones with actors) wiithout dr dre.

Beats have always sounded bad and the build quality was trash. They were plastic and broke easily and hurt to wear which is absolutely unacceptable for the price. My hyperx cloud 2 headset sounds better than the majority of beats headphones and it isn't even meant to be an audiophile headphone and cost less than 100 bucks. Beats has such a bad reputation at this point that its time to just give up as its not worth the investment. 

Im not putting these in my ear, where its like the Samsung buds, where you look like two bolts sticking out of your ear. Still can't believe people buy covers for them to make them look larger. 

14 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Beats have always sounded bad and the build quality was trash. They were plastic and broke easily and hurt to wear which is absolutely unacceptable for the price. My hyperx cloud 2 headset sounds better than the majority of beats headphones and it isn't even meant to be an audiophile headphone and cost less than 100 bucks. Beats has such a bad reputation at this point that its time to just give up as its not worth the investment. 

Beats under Apple have sounded decidedly better. They still lean toward bass, but you can listen to treble-driven genres on gear like the Solo Pro or Powerbeats Pro without tearing your hair out. Not sure about build quality, although it looks like that too has improved.

I don't see Apple ditching Beats for a while, if ever. It gives Apple a way to reach the wider personal audio market (Android and Windows users, gym-ready buds and the like) without having to 'sully' its main brand. AirPods are for Apple device users who value balanced sound and smarts, and are prepared to pay for these qualities; Beats are for everyone else.

22 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

But those are mostly gaming laptops... I can't find a regular laptop that has a 1440p display for base MacBook Air prices apart from the Surface Laptop. Where's Dell? HP? ASUS? Acer? Lenovo? 

Also $600 laptops... I literally just went onto BestBuy and I love how this is considered one of their hottest deals: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lenovo-ideapad-3-15-6-touchscreen-laptop-blue-intel-core-i3-10110u-256gb-ssd-8gb-ram-win-10-s/15145139

Still better than the pathetic tinny speakers that were oh so common. Better yet, mono was still a thing in the early 2010s. Jesus christ Acer, I know you're cheap, but at least have some standards here... 

For base prices, no, but go a little higher and it's easy to find higher resolution laptops. Such is life when you manufacture virtually everything in the machine.

Eh it's not a bad machine. More than most casual users would probably need, or even care about. Which is why it's priced in that bracket.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the speakers. You were referencing AirPods, as far as I know no one makes a mono earphone.

6 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

The earlier beats were crap, sound quality didn't match the price and had way too much bass.

You could get them on sale, and they weren't bad. As for "too much bass", that's an entirely subjective statement. Some people love bass.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red