Apple Stores make way! Google Stores are coming.

WolframaticAlpha

Summary

Google is opening it's first physical store. Presumably to sell pixel phones and nest stuff. The first Google store will be opened in Chelsea, New York. Chelsea is also quite close to the google nyc campus. Google will be taking cues from Apple on it's stores. It is rumored, that Google may be using it's own AI services for troubleshooting instead of actual humans.

Quotes

Google has experimented with small pop-up stores and booths before to sell its products, but today’s store announcement marks a far more serious commitment to establishing a retail space. The store will be part of the search giant's urban campus, where more than 11,000 employees work.

This sounds to be part of a bigger hardware push for the company, which has struggled of late — particularly in the mobile category. Google calls the first store, “an important next step in our hardware journey.”

My thoughts

Remember Microsoft Stores? Funny, google thinks that making their own store will help them sell their products.

Sources

Google is opening its first ever real-world store - CNET

Google is opening its first physical retail store this summer in NYC - The Verge

Google is opening a retail store in New York this summer | TechCrunch

11 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

It is rumored, that Google may be using it's own AI services for troubleshooting instead of actual humans.

That just sounds like a bad idea. No matter how good they make the AI, it will never be better than having a real, knowledgeable person helping you troubleshoot a problem.

11 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Remember Microsoft Stores? Funny, google thinks that making their own store will help them sell their products.

If Google has the money to spare, it can't hurt to at least try dipping their toes into the water of physical stores. If it doesn't take off, they can always shut it down before they go opening up tons of locations. But I'm all for companies giving Apple a bit of friendly competition.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

18 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

It is rumored, that Google may be using it's own AI services for troubleshooting instead of actual humans.

Haha, how is it better than just googling.

8 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

If it doesn't take off, they can always shut it down

True, they are very experienced with this kinds of thing. Remember google+.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

16 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

True, they are very experienced with this kinds of thing. Remember google+.

i forgot what that even did,i just rmeber is literally never took off

10 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

i forgot what that even did,i just rmeber is literally never took off

I loved google+. Groups and circles and hangout integration was awesome(Yes, I also used hangouts). I am still pained that it failed.

4 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

I loved google+. Groups and circles and hangout integration was awesome(Yes, I also used hangouts). I am still pained that it failed.

i used it becasue at the time i basiclly had no apple devices so my old neutab was my main use

Will the stores have extensive video surveillance and tracking?

Will you be able to get free devices by selling you soul?

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Yeah so... they're definitely going to close the stores before they even finish construction.

5 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Yeah so... they're definitely going to close the stores before they even finish construction.

They could open a museum about all their cancelled products and close it after a short while.

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

1 hour ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

No matter how good they make the AI, it will never be better than having a real, knowledgeable person helping you troubleshoot a problem.

Can't be worst then someone who can only say "water damage, buy new"

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

that Google may be using it's own AI services for troubleshooting instead of actual humans.

User: my battery life isn't as good as it used to be

AI: it's cancer and lupus

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

19 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

They could open a museum about all their cancelled products and close it after a short while.

And then maybe add it to their new closed stuff museum. And then shut that down and put it in their new new cancelled stuff museum. And the cancelception goes on and on and on....

1 hour ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Summary

Google is opening it's first physical store. Presumably to sell pixel phones and nest stuff. The first Google store will be opened in Chelsea, New York. Chelsea is also quite close to the google nyc campus. Google will be taking cues from Apple on it's stores. It is rumored, that Google may be using it's own AI services for troubleshooting instead of actual humans.

Quotes

My thoughts

Sources

Google is opening its first ever real-world store - CNET

Google is opening its first physical retail store this summer in NYC - The Verge

Google is opening a retail store in New York this summer | TechCrunch

Can't wait to see this one added to the Google Graveyard. Sony, closed their stores years ago , Microsoft sometime in the last 3 years.

Like OK? Maybe they might flog some of their phones, and provide an easier support access, but realistically, Google was the last company I'd have expected to try and open a store when it's a certain money sink.

That's great! I was at the Apple store yesterday and it seems to have stagnated. Need some fresh technology stores!

It's hard to imagine how it will be successful.

Personally, I think it being centered around like a real-life demo of integrated Nest gear (thermostats, cameras, audio, Hub Max, Chromecast) would be a good approach for people to actually see the technology in action without watching Youtube or buying it and trying to figure it out in the moment.

Add in Fitbit, Pixel phones, and Pixelbooks, as a clean aside to a "home set," and it could be decent.

4 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

A lot of technology un savvy folks already have a lot of issues searching for answers to their solutions, especially when you just have search what you literally mean. Having an "AI" to troubleshoot instead of humans is gonna be rough. Speaking from my own experience, english isn't everyone's first language, I have to turn on my mental translation and put a whole bunch of 2s (maybe a 3) together to understand people's problem and come up with a solution.

But hey if it works for Google, great, otherwise they at least tried.

I don't think this is viable unless Google can provide support for people having issues with devices (such as Pixels, Chromebooks, etc.)

If they provide repair services for such devices, I can see it taking off. 

3 hours ago, willies leg said:

That's great! I was at the Apple store yesterday and it seems to have stagnated. Need some fresh technology stores!

ecommerce laughs in monopolization

That sounds like a good time, I'd love to test a google watch and the pixel 6 before I buy them. Also there's absolutely 0 chance of onsite repairs unless it's screen replacement. The individual consumer doesn't want to pay what it actually costs to have trained staff repair their devices outside of a very few people.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

Well.... They are doing it in NYC... I guess that is fine since there are so many dirt cheap places to rent out now for businesses... Wish they bring in Google Fiber...

11 hours ago, Kisai said:

Can't wait to see this one added to the Google Graveyard. Sony, closed their stores years ago , Microsoft sometime in the last 3 years.

Like OK? Maybe they might flog some of their phones, and provide an easier support access, but realistically, Google was the last company I'd have expected to try and open a store when it's a certain money sink.

This is what I was thinking. Its not like Google is like Apple and has a ton of products that people would actually specifically go to their store to buy or get tech support. I think the main reason why Apple stores work is because they have such crap availability of third party repair services and if you like Apple stuff going to their store to buy stuff might make sense. I can't imagine Google having the marketshare to make this work. 

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

I think the main reason why Apple stores work is because they have such crap availability of third party repair services and if you like Apple stuff going to their store to buy stuff might make sense.

Apple Stores work even before Macs became hard to repair. If you have tried earlier Macs especially the early Intel Macs (pre-2012) they're one of the easiest to repair by yourself. Apple Stores have worked because they have established a cult following with their products, and they made good products at the time. Not to mention that before the Pentium 4, the PowerPC chips are actually better than Intel.

Microsoft and Google can only dream of that cult following that Apple garnered.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Awesome I hope I can buy my own data

2 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Apple Stores work even before Macs became hard to repair. If you have tried earlier Macs especially the early Intel Macs (pre-2012) they're one of the easiest to repair by yourself. Apple Stores have worked because they have established a cult following with their products, and they made good products at the time. Not to mention that before the Pentium 4, the PowerPC chips are actually better than Intel.

Microsoft and Google can only dream of that cult following that Apple garnered.

While this might be true I would say that having crap third party repairs has made Apple stores alot more necessary for people who own Apple products. Also it should be noted that a big reason why retail stores don't do well is in large part Amazon and online shopping has hit retail stores hard. Google is going to be hard pressed to have people want to come to their store rather than just order there products online. 

Part of the success of Apple Stores is that it's less a "Store" than a showcase. While they have to make money, selling things, there's a heavy focus on just being a place to go and check out stuff, play with it...not unlike the Sharper Image stores used to be. I remember years back a big deal at the local mall were teens just going to play with Photobooth on the iMacs..take pictures of themselves and play with the filters...(I really thought apple should have a sticker printer there and charge a quater a sticker and make a mint).

IF google can replicate that kind of thing...a showcase more than a salesfloor...they could have something.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎