IBM says chip shortage could last two years

Ar558a
1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

3090 are $3700

Strix is $4000+, I was quoted $5000 by a retailer when I asked

Somehow, glad I got mine at $2000-2500 '-'

Remember how everyone was laughing at the launch price of the 3090? Now, that's a bargain. I got my 3070 from a store for "only" about +50% over the launch FE pricing and considered myself lucky to get that. It was an AIB model so arguably would cost more even if not for shortage inflation.

1 hour ago, CTR640 said:

This one webstore for now has the 3080's and 3090's and have been all in stock for weeks and no one buys them.

Trying their luck that someone will be desperate enough to buy them?

1 hour ago, CTR640 said:

I still have the 1080Ti and if it happens it will break some day, I have stored my spare GPU which is the GTX780. So glad I didn't sell the 780 when I made the upgrade.

I'm kinda reluctant to sell off my recent older hardware for similar reason. While my best GPU is a 3070, I still have a 2080Ti and others in reserve.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Glad I'm fairly set with my PC already though, but yeah hopefully by the next big platform and CPU and GPU generations things can get back to actual normal.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

10 hours ago, porina said:

Fab capacity isn't the sort of thing you can turn up quickly on demand. I think current gen launch pricing should be forgotten and elevated (but not scalper) pricing is the new normal for perhaps the rest of the year. Beyond that is anyone's guess.

The alternative question is, if we can't increase supply, will there be something to reduce demand? There is some cautious optimism that, at least in some countries where human malware control is progressing well, there is hope for a return to something like old normal. Will that reduce demand once again? Maybe the current crypto bubble will burst, leading to a possible double hit of lower demand and possible supply on the used market. Who knows.

There’s another one, at least for mining. Mining gets continuously harder to do and apparently the bottom is starting to open again.  TechYESCity released a recent video where he bought a bunch of 570s from a miner because they weren’t profitable anymore. So yay! It’s 2016 again (wheee.) mining is only a 20% bump though for the entire industry or something. The auto chip shortage was mostly just dumb executives. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I sure hope that the Chip shortage doesn't last another Year or more.

11 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

IMO this whole Clusterf#ck of Shortages will be over as soon as the Pandemic is mostly over and the majority of the world population is vaccinated. So this crisis truly is dependent on every individual whether it'll be over soon or not. 

That relies on demand going back to how it was. Which assumes everything will just go back to how it was. Thats far from guaranteed.

On 5/15/2021 at 8:30 AM, freeagent said:

Honestly..?

Who cares?

I know people do, but this is just a hobby, not a way of life.. go outside.

It's affecting the entire electronics industry. Need an OPA1678 in a SOIC-8 package? Maybe sometime next year. Someone bought through Digi-Key's entire stock of THS4631s a few weeks ago. I've spent between 50 and 100 hours researching and testing subs for backordered parts this year, and some of my friends and colleagues have spent ten times that. It's affecting everything from industrial controllers to scientific research to everything automotive.

On 5/15/2021 at 8:30 AM, freeagent said:

Honestly..?

Who cares?

I know people do, but this is just a hobby, not a way of life.. go outside.

You maybe missed this whole pandemic thing then?  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 5/15/2021 at 1:18 PM, soldier_ph said:

IMO this whole Clusterf#ck of Shortages will be over as soon as the Pandemic is mostly over and the majority of the world population is vaccinated.

The problem is you have a lot of people who REFUSE to get the vaccines. Because we have a lot of miss information being spread not just about these vaccines but about vaccines in general.

Now all that being said, Michigan is pretty much back open. Im sure many other states are too. The CDC killed the mask mandate for those who are vaccinated. So many states have supported that as well as many businesses. The issue is, no one knows who's vaccinated or not, so pretty much NO ONE has to wear a mask. 

On the other side of this, I dont see demand going down. Keep in mind we have tons of people still on unemployment. These people want to ride it till the end. So until Crypto crashes or unemployment runs dry, demand will remain high. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

You maybe missed this whole pandemic thing then?  

Dude I’ve got a brand new computer that I built 6 months ago.. guess what it’s missing 😜

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

4 hours ago, freeagent said:

Dude I’ve got a brand new computer that I built 6 months ago.. guess what it’s missing 😜

A dGPU?

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The problem is you have a lot of people who REFUSE to get the vaccines. Because we have a lot of miss information being spread not just about these vaccines but about vaccines in general.

Now all that being said, Michigan is pretty much back open. Im sure many other states are too. The CDC killed the mask mandate for those who are vaccinated. So many states have supported that as well as many businesses. The issue is, no one knows who's vaccinated or not, so pretty much NO ONE has to wear a mask. 

On the other side of this, I dont see demand going down. Keep in mind we have tons of people still on unemployment. These people want to ride it till the end. So until Crypto crashes or unemployment runs dry, demand will remain high. 

What does Crypto Mining have to with Demand? Very few People actually Mine Coins, so it isn't like Crypto even drives Demand in the first place...

7 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

What does Crypto Mining have to with Demand? Very few People actually Mine Coins, so it isn't like Crypto even drives Demand in the first place...

Several things. Though there won’t be many people that buy gpus for crypto only from retail, I’d bet there is over 250k of them. And more being bought.

So, that relieves some of the demand, and then those all will get sold at/below msrp.

so 250k more people would have a gpu, so demand would be lower.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

A dGPU?

A new one sure.. right now it’s got a Gtx980 in it. At least it’s a kick ass 980.

39 minutes ago, freeagent said:

A new one sure.. right now it’s got a Gtx980 in it. At least it’s a kick ass 980.

So what is your New Rig missing?

22 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

So what is your New Rig missing?

A new GPU, because a 980 can only kick so much ass 😄

39 minutes ago, freeagent said:

A new GPU, because a 980 can only kick so much ass 😄

I'm still using my Zotac 970... And after I replaced the Fans, it still working fine.

I leant out my 970 before the world went to shit.. funny how I haven't heard from him since.. EVGA 970 FTW ACX 2.0.. was a sweet little card. My 980 is ok still, but we get no new eye candy.. and isn't the best anymore for benching, though she is still worth a few points.. My secondary rig, for kids homeschool is driving a GTX 580 :D

The plan was to retire that card and the kids get this one..

6 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Coins like Etherum can still be mined on GPU's and last I checked it was going up like the rest. Also, because crypto miners make money with their cards, they will be more WILLING to pay extortion prices from scalpers. 

Last I see their were pictures of crypto setups with cards, many cards. SO yeah they kinda do drive demand. There were even mentions of miners buying cards by the pallet. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.