M1 iPad Pro 56% Faster Than Previous Generation Early Benchmarks Shows

TheReal1980

Summary

The benchmarks of the new iPad Pro is out and it seems like we are looking at an absolute rocket.

Quotes

Last month, Apple introduced a new iPad Pro with the same M1 chip found in the latest Macs, and early benchmark results indicate that the M1 iPad Pro is over 50% faster than the previous-generation iPad Pro.

The benchmark results reveal that the M1 iPad Pro has virtually identical performance as the M1 Macs released last fall. The M1 MacBook Air, for example, has average single-core and multi-core scores of 1,701 and 7,378, respectively. Impressively, this means the M1 iPad Pro is faster than a maxed-out 16-inch MacBook Pro with an Intel Core i9 processor, which has average single-core and multi-core scores of 1,091 and 6,845 respectively.

As for graphics performance, the M1 iPad Pro currently has an average Metal score of 20,578, which is up to 71% faster than the previous-generation iPad Pro with the A12Z chip and roughly equal to the graphics performance of M1 Macs.

My thoughts

Last gen iPad Pro was so good, insanely fast... and now with this new one it is over 50% faster. Graphics are up to 71% faster. Now, I wish the OS would be a little different (more like macOS) but it is what it is I guess but regardless Apple hit a home run with this one. Personally I am waiting for the new Macbook Pro 14" and 16" to see what they are able to do, if I'm in the mood I may get one of these 12.9" iPad Pro's as well.

Sources

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/11/m1-ipad-pro-benchmarks/

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

iPadOS looks to be the only thing holding it back at this point. Apple likely wouldn't ever port macOS to the iPad though, unless they wanted to unify the product lines for some odd reason.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

Well Ipad OS is optimized for touch. All the UI is touch based unlike macos where it's a window based / mouse optimized.

You can see it while windows 10 support touch, using it as a tablet is challenging.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Well Ipad OS is optimized for touch. All the UI is touch based unlike macos where it's a window based / mouse optimized.

You can see it while windows 10 support touch, using it as a tablet is challenging.

iPad OS works quite well with Apple’s own touchpad/keyboard accessory. 

1 minute ago, Morgan Everett said:

iPad OS works quite well with Apple’s own touchpad/keyboard accessory. 

Yeah they support mouse / keyboards for a long time.

Macos is not touch optimized yet. They  need to work on touch on macos, before giving Ipad pro a desktop os.

Otherwise people would need to bring mouse / keyboard to use it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Macos is not touch optimized yet. They  need to work on touch on macos

The mere fact that Apple sells an iPad separate from a Mac means that a touchscreen Mac will probably never see the light of day anytime soon. Just because Windows 10 has touch support means that Apple should follow. Even with Windows 10's touchscreen support, the UI elements are still made for mice input.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

34 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

The mere fact that Apple sells an iPad separate from a Mac means that a touchscreen Mac will probably never see the light of day anytime soon. Just because Windows 10 has touch support means that Apple should follow. Even with Windows 10's touchscreen support, the UI elements are still made for mice input.

Only because touch-centric UI was one of the reasons Windows 8 got crucified by users...

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

aPpLe sUcKs! tHeIr dEvIcEs aRe sO sLoW!

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

23 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Only because touch-centric UI was one of the reasons Windows 8 got crucified by users...

To be fair, Windows 8 had a lot of desktop enhancements over Windows 7 but what got it crucified by users is because it took out the things that made it great like start menu getting replaced by start screen which is a pain in the butt to use on PCs without a touchscreen. 

• To switch between metro style apps, you got to hover from the top left then down to bring app switcher.
  • Prior to 8.1, in order to view all applications installed you need to right click on an empty space on the start screen to view all apps.
  • Then there’s the charms bar that can either be hit or miss by dragging your cursor from the top right then down.

Microsoft tried to differentiate traditional Windows 8 by forking it to create Windows RT to compete with the iPad but it ended up confusing users because it looked a lot like regular Windows but can only run apps from the Windows Store and Office 2013. Apple didn’t have that confusion because people in the ecosystem know that the iPad is the blown up iPod Touch whose primary navigation is through touchscreen and would only run apps from the App Store, and the Mac’s navigation is through mice/trackpad and can run either Mac App Store programs or any app outside of the App Store by was signed by Apple. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

My guess is that we will, next month at WWDC, see a BIG update for the iPad with actual PRO software like Logic, Lightroom, Final Cut et.c et.c.

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

I've said this before, but Apple could put literal supercomputer CPU + GPU performance in their iPads Pros, but until iPad gets the right software/UI, they simply won't be able to replace a Mac or a PC for a lot of professionals. I'm convinced if they ported MacOS to even the previous gen iPad Pros, they wouldn't been amazing, but Apple would neve want to do that. Even if Apple could make an iPad have the same capabilities of their Macs, they would never do so. Apple's product segmentation is something they excel at and it would take a LOT of pressure for them to ever allow an iPad to encroach on Mac features, or the other way around (with some kind of touchscreen Mac). It's all about that $$$.

I hope it gets better software this year for sure. I don't think porting MacOS is a good idea, but instead making iPadOS more versatile. Make Apple's first party apps optimized for touch - like Final Cut, Logic, etc. - and maybe do something like Rosetta or reverse Catalyst.

9 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

To be fair, Windows 8 had a lot of desktop enhancements over Windows 7 but what got it crucified by users is because it took out the things that made it great like start menu getting replaced by start screen which is a pain in the butt to use on PCs without a touchscreen. 

• To switch between metro style apps, you got to hover from the top left then down to bring app switcher.
  • Prior to 8.1, in order to view all applications installed you need to right click on an empty space on the start screen to view all apps.
  • Then there’s the charms bar that can either be hit or miss by dragging your cursor from the top right then down.

It's like very other OS is hot garbage. The trend goes farther back, but I'll start at Win2k

Windows 2000 = Good

Windows XP = Garbage until SP3
Windows Vista = Hot garbage!!!

Windows 7 = Good
Windows 8 = Nuclear hot garbage!!!

Windows 8.1 = Nuclear hot garbage in half-life!!

Windows 10 = Good

Windows ??? = Probably will smell like bloated decomposing rats in the garbage.

3 hours ago, StDragon said:

It's like very other OS is hot garbage. The trend goes farther back, but I'll start at Win2k

Windows 2000 = Good

Windows 7 = Good

Windows 10 = Good

A lot of that depends on personal experience as well. Windows 2000 was fine for me, as was ME. XP had a rocky start, but SP3 was great. Vista worked pretty well considering the hardware I ran it on at the time. 7 is of course excellent. 8 wasn't great, but 8.1 was excellent, and it ran very fast. 10 has been pretty hit or miss for me, but it's mostly fine on modern systems. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

3 hours ago, StDragon said:

Windows 2000 = Good

Windows 7 = Good

Windows 10 = Good

I miss 2000; probably still my favorite.

wait.

you can benchmark a ipad?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I'm still genuinely considering a MacBook for my next laptop. Not like I'm in the market and hopefully won't be any time soon, but some of the stuff Apple has been pumping out is insane.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I know they probably wont, because it would start to eat into some of their other product lines. But they really need to do something like Samsung DeX where you can plug in your iphone/ipad and it becomes a full desktop experience. I know they have basic functionality at the moment with mirroring and a few select apps where it can use the external monitor as a dedicated display.

But with the speeds they are reaching with the AS chips, a professional could very easily get away with just having an ipad. take the tablet on the go, and when they need a full setup, plug it in since they now have "decent" mouse and keyboard support and the ipad could even become like a normal pen tablet (or even a massive trackpad) for those who need it.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

53 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm still genuinely considering a MacBook for my next laptop. Not like I'm in the market and hopefully won't be any time soon, but some of the stuff Apple has been pumping out is insane.

I personally prefer using an iPad as a mobile computing device if you have a desktop PC. I’ve been using the 13” iPad Pro for about 5 months and I’ve really enjoyed the every day experience (web browsing, YouTube, light productivity excel/word, and game streaming through moonlight). Honestly though, the biggest selling point is it doesn’t scorch my legs when I use it. 

16 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

Honestly though, the biggest selling point is it doesn’t scorch my legs when I use it. 

The M1 MacBooks don't do that. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

3 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

The M1 MacBooks don't do that. 

That’s what I’ve heard. Honestly, I think apple is one of the only companies that is paying attention to surface temperatures. 

1 minute ago, Sorenson said:

That’s what I’ve heard. Honestly, I think apple is one of the only companies that is paying attention to surface temperatures. 

It's quite ironic given their reputation over the past several years. My 2017 MBP gets uncomfortably hot, and it's the base model. The higher end models are even worse than mine. 

2 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

It's quite ironic given their reputation over the past several years. My 2017 MBP gets uncomfortably hot, and it's the base model. The higher end models are even worse than mine. 

I gave the 16” MBP a try and it was unusably hot on the bottom. I think it started once intel started making the higher core count CPU’s because my 15” 2014 MBP was fine 

Just now, Sorenson said:

I gave the 16” MBP a try and it was unusably hot on the bottom. I think it started once intel started making the higher core count CPU’s because my 15” 2014 MBP was fine 

The older 15" models (Retina models pre-2016) were alright. The 13" models struggled though. My 2013 13" MBP gets extremely hot when simply playing a 1080p60 YouTube video. My 2017 model barely breaks a sweat doing that, and it's fine at 1440p as well.