M1 iPad Pro 56% Faster Than Previous Generation Early Benchmarks Shows

TheReal1980
17 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I have a 1st gen iPad Mini. Won it in a giveaway.

It can only run up to iPadOS 9 because it's just that old.

And guess what? It's perfectly fine for YouTube, Netflix, and Zoom. No stutters, no lag.

Sure, the battery life sucks and it can't run most apps because it's 9 years old now. But performance is perfectly fine for YouTube/Netflix/Zoom which is what we use it for.

Perhaps your friend's iPad has a hardware fault? My old school Chromebook ran like crap until it died. Freezing, Zoom ran like on a 56K modem, open up YouTube and you might get 5 FPS.

Once it died and I swapped (I only use it at school because I can't lug around a heavy tower + monitor + keyboard + mouse) everything ran much better. 1080p60 YouTube was no longer a pipe dream, Zoom was perfectly fine.

Well, upon taking it to the apple store, which is a 20 km ride away, the store said that it was functioning well(I had to buy my new ipad, so we went along). And it kinda does. It works fine on the home screen and the thing works well on the first day or after a charge. But the OS slows down in 1-3 days, even with 40-50% charge. No such problem on an android tablet, which despite sucking hard, still don't slow down in performance like that.

No such problems on the air. 

If the apple store said that there is no problem, then why should the customer assume that something is wrong? Even in benchmarks, it performs according to expectations, and had 26 more points than a standard benchmarked ipad 7, in geekbench 5 multicore

20 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Well, upon taking it to the apple store, which is a 20 km ride away, the store said that it was functioning well(I had to buy my new ipad, so we went along). And it kinda does. It works fine on the home screen and the thing works well on the first day or after a charge. But the OS slows down in 1-3 days, even with 40-50% charge. No such problem on an android tablet, which despite sucking hard, still don't slow down in performance like that.

No such problems on the air. 

If the apple store said that there is no problem, then why should the customer assume that something is wrong? Even in benchmarks, it performs according to expectations, and had 26 more points than a standard benchmarked ipad 7, in geekbench 5 multicore

I have no idea what would be wrong with your iPad.

It runs an A10 Fusion chip which is the same as the iPhone 7, which still runs perfectly fine. I don't think a factory reset would do anything because Apple sandboxes the OS away from apps so no crud from app installs should bog down the entire system unless you Jailbreak, but I guess it's worth a shot.

All I know is that I have an old iPhone 7 on iOS 14.5 and it works fine, with the same SOC in it, and I have an even older iPhone SE with an A9 that also works fine. They don't get slowed down in the way you're saying the iPad does. The newer one has an A12 in it though so this weird slowdown problem you're seeing should probably be gone?

Your mistake was buying the $400 iPad when you could've gotten a used A10X iPad Pro 10.5 for a similar price. Nowadays, I would recommend the A12 iPad over that iPad Pro since it does have a much newer (and slightly faster) processer, but with the old iPad Pro 10.5 is much better than the 7th gen, also ProMotion is a nice touch. But that's personally me. I always look at the used market/refurbished market before going with a new product.

11 hours ago, TheReal1980 said:

Is it the same world wide?

I might wait for the new Pro Macbooks instead...

Apple was hit by the chip and display shortage hard for this model. If you buy the 11" model you will be fine. But if you want MiniLED and the 12.9" model, you're SOL until July, unless you can snipe it in store on launch day.

2 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

I have no idea what would be wrong with your iPad.

It runs an A10 Fusion chip which is the same as the iPhone 7, which still runs perfectly fine. I don't think a factory reset would do anything because Apple sandboxes the OS away from apps so no crud from app installs should bog down the entire system unless you Jailbreak, but I guess it's worth a shot.

All I know is that I have an old iPhone 7 on iOS 14.5 and it works fine, with the same SOC in it, and I have an even older iPhone SE with an A9 that also works fine. They don't get slowed down in the way you're saying the iPad does. The newer one has an A12 in it though so this weird slowdown problem you're seeing should probably be gone?

Your mistake was buying the $400 iPad when you could've gotten a used A10X iPad Pro 10.5 for a similar price. Nowadays, I would recommend the A12 iPad over that iPad Pro since it does have a much newer (and slightly faster) processer, but with the old iPad Pro 10.5 is much better than the 7th gen, also ProMotion is a nice touch. But that's personally me. I always look at the used market/refurbished market before going with a new product.

Used market is pretty much dead in my country.

5 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

I just told you. It costed 400 dollars with upgrades. And it has been working for 2 years now. Her ipad is the same age. Both work equally well. It's just that the ipad slows down significantly and even consumes quite some battery on a zoom call. And as for the keyboard, it's somewhat shallow, but at least it is user replaceable. Not to mention, when her ipad's headphone jack died, her applecare had run out, and she has to use a dongle ever since.

Also SSD was built in. It was a small business vostro laptop and she has 3 years of on site care. And the ipad does run slow. While not documented in official news, it has often been discussed in tech forums. The general refrain is close some apps or restart. It runs well, but does get slow in a day or two.

And you are seriously ignoring the fact that the laptop had USB-C, USB, HDMI and an SD card and had 1.25 terabytes of storage(1 tb hdd + 256 gig ssd)

I have an air 4. I love it. But I feel guilty, since I was the one who recommended her to get the ipad. She still loves it, but hates the slowdowns

This seems to be a one off case as most people who I know who uses iPads use for more than 5 years without any issues. And most people who gets a sub $500 laptop just ends up dying for no reason in few years. And even the headphone jack stopped working? That's the first I've heard

I said iPad is for a specific kind of use case? Not a complete laptop replacement for those who needs to use ports or run complex programs. But yfor sub $500 you're much more liekly to get a better use case and lifespan out of an iPad than most laptops. 

4 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

'Why is my iPad so slow?': How to get your iPad running smoothly again | Business Insider India

Why Is My iPad So Slow? Learn How to Fix & Speed Up Any iPad (iphonelife.com)

How to Speed Up an iPad - Macworld UK

How to Fix a Slow iPad (lifewire.com)

They all mention the same thing: Restart the damn thing. Restarting is really annoying. And despite popular belief, ipads are used for stuff other than Word and office. They are also used for apps like canva, imovie and bazart. And if these apps cause slowdowns, then it can be conclusively said that Apple doesn't provide the magical experience they claim they provide, in their ads and their defence for the app store.

But aren't these generic. You can literally search any device and slow for an article to pop up on that. The iPad generally isn't a slow a device and it isn't a widespread issue at all, corroborated by most people's experience and use case of an iPad. Mine is an A9X iPad and it isn't slow. I also have a iPad 3 (first retina one) from way back and it can still play youtube videos and basic browsing just fine with occasional stutter (that is a 9 year old device Im talking about)

11 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

I said iPad is for a specific kind of use case? Not a complete laptop replacement for those who needs to use ports or run complex programs. But yfor sub $500 you're much more liekly to get a better use case and lifespan out of an iPad than most laptops. 

Projection. Many laptops work just as well as an ipad, even in the sub 500 dollar range.

11 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

But aren't these generic. You can literally search any device and slow for an article to pop up on that. The iPad generally isn't a slow a device and it isn't a widespread issue at all, corroborated by most people's experience and use case of an iPad. Mine is an A9X iPad and it isn't slow. I also have a iPad 3 (first retina one) from way back and it can still play youtube videos and basic browsing just fine with occasional stutter (that is a 9 year old device Im talking about)

So can my blackberry playbook.

On 5/18/2021 at 2:00 PM, WolframaticAlpha said:

Projection. Many laptops work just as well as an ipad, even in the sub 500 dollar range.

Nope, poor build quality, shitty trackpad, HDD, poor screen, horrible battery life. For people like my grandparents, who only needs a computer for video call, viewing photos, watching youtube/shows, mails, etc iPad is vastly a better device.

On 5/18/2021 at 2:00 PM, WolframaticAlpha said:

So can my blackberry playbook.

Oh yeah Ive used a blackberry playbook. Does it even have native youtube though. I dont remember. But this conversation is about sub 300 dollar laptops, you dont get to change devices as it suites your argument. 

46 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

But this conversation is about sub 300 dollar laptops, you dont get to change devices as it suites your argument. 

I feel like this is pretty relevant though, since if you're including Apple tablets in the conversation with sub 300$ laptops, shouldn't tablets by others be included as well?

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

Nope, poor build quality, shitty trackpad, HDD, poor screen, horrible battery life. For people like my grandparents, who only needs a computer for video call, viewing photos, watching youtube/shows, mails, etc iPad is vastly a better device.

Oh yeah Ive used a blackberry playbook. Does it even have native youtube though. I dont remember. But this conversation is about sub 300 dollar laptops, you dont get to change devices as it suites your argument. 

Agree to disagree?

11 hours ago, thechinchinsong said:

I feel like this is pretty relevant though, since if you're including Apple tablets in the conversation with sub 300$ laptops, shouldn't tablets by others be included as well?

Nope, the original argument was that sub $300-$500 laptops were better for general use than a tablet. I said it isn't. Tablets is vastly a better device in low end. And the best tablet by a long shot is the iPad, no questions. So it's the age old question and debate on waht's a computer? Even LTT has made a video covering how iPad can actually replace a laptop for many people. And each year goes by with new iPad OS releases, more and more people fall into that category of being eligbile to replace their computer with an iPad.

It's an alternative computer. And it's getting good in a rapid pace each year

I kinda wish Lightroom on iOS wasn't such hot garbage.

With the MiniLED display on the 12.9", combined with the well-known performance of the M1, it would be a perfect on-the-go companion for travel photographers.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

if the ipad mini ever gets an M1 update, i might consider switching back to an ipad as my primary tablet

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 5/13/2021 at 3:41 AM, divito said:

I miss 2000; probably still my favorite.

Try to go back to older windows versions. There is just so much stuff in Windows 10 that you take for granted nowadays. Going back to 2000 or 98 will just leave you wondering why everything was so complicated back then.

I did use 98 as a kid. Recently i helped a friend with an older XP machine and the experience completely crushed my "nostalgia" for 98 because i notice how bad they are IN COMPARISON to Windows 10.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

12 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Nope, the original argument was that sub $300-$500 laptops were better for general use than a tablet. I said it isn't. Tablets is vastly a better device in low end. And the best tablet by a long shot is the iPad, no questions. So it's the age old question and debate on waht's a computer? Even LTT has made a video covering how iPad can actually replace a laptop for many people. And each year goes by with new iPad OS releases, more and more people fall into that category of being eligbile to replace their computer with an iPad.

True, but saying that another brand of tablet that can do similar things to an old iPad still is relevant to the conversation, no? Even if you don't think any other tablet comes close to an iPad, another person saying that another tablet can do what an iPad can still contributes to the conversation?

8 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Try to go back to older windows versions. There is just so much stuff in Windows 10 that you take for granted nowadays. Going back to 2000 or 98 will just leave you wondering why everything was so complicated back then.

I did use 98 as a kid. Recently i helped a friend with an older XP machine and the experience completely crushed my "nostalgia" for 98 because i notice how bad they are IN COMPARISON to Windows 10.

Had to (in a virtual machine mind you) to read some PLC codes made for Siemens  S5 CPUs.

Just have to say: I had the time of my life, 20/10 would do it again

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 5/17/2021 at 5:37 PM, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

Apple was hit by the chip and display shortage hard for this model. If you buy the 11" model you will be fine. But if you want MiniLED and the 12.9" model, you're SOL until July, unless you can snipe it in store on launch day.

I ordered one a week or so ago. Delivery here in the UK is 28th Jun-12th July

18 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

There was a time when heavy work got done on machines with less power than the average smart watch.  Eye candy was basically non existent though. Monochrome text only. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 5/20/2021 at 11:27 PM, thechinchinsong said:

True, but saying that another brand of tablet that can do similar things to an old iPad still is relevant to the conversation, no? Even if you don't think any other tablet comes close to an iPad, another person saying that another tablet can do what an iPad can still contributes to the conversation?

t it's much worse. Why would you intentionally talk about an outdated product like the playbook? Samsung tabs are the only alternative right now, but unless you need very specific requirements, most people would do much better with an iPad, right?

On 5/21/2021 at 5:48 AM, Bombastinator said:

There was a time when heavy work got done on machines with less power than the average smart watch.  Eye candy was basically non existent though. Monochrome text only. 

Yeah, but our technological advancements have capabilities improved a lot since then. And we will continue to advance. It is one of the reason why I dont get peple who keep saying that processors and gpus are already powerful enough. The baseline specs today increases the versatility and capability of all things. Great example is NPU chips. We're able to do so many tasks faster and more personalised on device

8 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

t it's much worse. Why would you intentionally talk about an outdated product like the playbook? Samsung tabs are the only alternative right now, but unless you need very specific requirements, most people would do much better with an iPad, right?

Yeah, but our technological advancements have capabilities improved a lot since then. And we will continue to advance. It is one of the reason why I dont get peple who keep saying that processors and gpus are already powerful enough. The baseline specs today increases the versatility and capability of all things. Great example is NPU chips. We're able to do so many tasks faster and more personalised on device

Yup.  Capacity get filled.  Make something faster or better and someone will find something to do with it.  Some applications are simply doable with a small enough amount of performance that it could be wasted.  What has seemed to happen though is the capacity got used anyway by offering the things on a different format.  Used to be if you wanted to wordprocess you had to buy a dedicated machine that would only wordprocess.  Then you could buy a multifunction machine that could also word process. Now there isn’t even a specific machine. a word processor is now simply a “cloud” app you can run on your phone if you want. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 5/12/2021 at 4:44 PM, StDragon said:

It's like very other OS is hot garbage. The trend goes farther back, but I'll start at Win2k

Windows 2000 = Good

Windows XP = Garbage until SP3
Windows Vista = Hot garbage!!!

Windows 7 = Good
Windows 8 = Nuclear hot garbage!!!

Windows 8.1 = Nuclear hot garbage in half-life!!

Windows 10 = Good

Windows ??? = Probably will smell like bloated decomposing rats in the garbage.

Microsoft already announced there will be no Windows past 10, they are just going to continue to update 10 from now on...