M1 iPad Pro 56% Faster Than Previous Generation Early Benchmarks Shows

TheReal1980
17 hours ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

iPadOS looks to be the only thing holding it back at this point. Apple likely wouldn't ever port macOS to the iPad though, unless they wanted to unify the product lines for some odd reason.

There are indications they might want to do that, but they seem to be coming at it from the other direction.  iOS is apparently growing mouse support and suchlike.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

There are indications they might want to do that, but they seem to be coming at it from the other direction.  iOS is apparently growing mouse support and suchlike.

I would have liked to see proper macOS on one a year or so ago, as I was considering an iPad Pro instead of a laptop, but for me going the opposite way and turning iOS into macOS wouldn't have worked. Right now, based on how much power is being held back in these things, I'm glad I got a proper laptop. The mouse support is fairly meh though, it works and that's all about can be said for it, not that that's particularly a bad thing though.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

On 5/12/2021 at 2:39 AM, TheReal1980 said:

Summary

The benchmarks of the new iPad Pro is out and it seems like we are looking at an absolute rocket.

Quotes

My thoughts

Last gen iPad Pro was so good, insanely fast... and now with this new one it is over 50% faster. Graphics are up to 71% faster. Now, I wish the OS would be a little different (more like macOS) but it is what it is I guess but regardless Apple hit a home run with this one. Personally I am waiting for the new Macbook Pro 14" and 16" to see what they are able to do, if I'm in the mood I may get one of these 12.9" iPad Pro's as well.

Sources

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/11/m1-ipad-pro-benchmarks/

I just received mine today. Here are my benchmarks. Been answering questions all day. https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/nd76x3/look_what_came_early_score_one_for_nfm/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/nda29q/my_129_ipad_pro_antutu_geekbench_results/

Wow, that is great to hear.

After WWDC I may get one.

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

On 5/12/2021 at 4:58 PM, Drama Lama said:

aPpLe sUcKs! tHeIr dEvIcEs aRe sO sLoW!

A base model ipad is still freaking slow. M1 is a whole other level.

If dell sells you an i9 laptop, would you call their entire lineup, including a pentium laptop fast?

On 5/13/2021 at 7:16 AM, HelpfulTechWizard said:

wait.

you can benchmark a ipad?

you can use geekbench aka freakstench 5. GeekBench is universal and is really good for benchmarking

Just now, WolframaticAlpha said:

freakbench 5

huh. I didnt know benchmarks were on ios.

ive only been able to benchmark a phone via sideloading a apk onto a android one.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

It’d be cool if apple allowed both OS’es to run on the iPad.

you could pick and choose which one you want. More of a power user? Mac OS. Just want the basics? iPadOS.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

It’d be cool if apple allowed both OS’es to run on the iPad.

you could pick and choose which one you want. More of a power user? Mac OS. Just want the basics? iPadOS.

Not gonna happen. The issue isn't so much Apple's policies on choice as that macOS really isn't touch-optimized. It'd require a lot of work to not feel like... well, the half-hearted effort you see with Windows tablets.

On 5/12/2021 at 4:44 PM, StDragon said:

It's like very other OS is hot garbage. The trend goes farther back, but I'll start at Win2k

Windows 2000 = Good

Windows XP = Garbage until SP3
Windows Vista = Hot garbage!!!

Windows 7 = Good
Windows 8 = Nuclear hot garbage!!!

Windows 8.1 = Nuclear hot garbage in half-life!!

Windows 10 = Good

Windows ??? = Probably will smell like bloated decomposing rats in the garbage.

From what I have heard, Windows 10 is the final version of Windows. Ever. They will only update it, like the upcoming Sun Valley redesign to fix things and well, redesign. Obviously though, you never know what might happen.

--Dominik W

(What else do you need, this is just a signature, plus I have them disabled 😅)

19 hours ago, TheReal1980 said:

Wow, that is great to hear.

After WWDC I may get one.

Good luck if you're planning on getting the 12.9" model. It's sold out until July...

image.png.749d21f162e75cf11efdcca11bfde7c8.png

2 hours ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

Good luck if you're planning on getting the 12.9" model. It's sold out until July...

image.png.749d21f162e75cf11efdcca11bfde7c8.png

Is it the same world wide?

I might wait for the new Pro Macbooks instead...

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

On 5/16/2021 at 12:00 PM, WolframaticAlpha said:

A base model ipad is still freaking slow. M1 is a whole other level.

If dell sells you an i9 laptop, would you call their entire lineup, including a pentium laptop fast?

Umm what? How is the base iPad slow? In what context? It is still perfectly usable and faster than any equivalent laptop you could purchase for 399 or whatever. Do you expect every devic at every price point to come with an i9?

31 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Umm what? How is the base iPad slow? In what context? It is still perfectly usable and faster than any equivalent laptop you could purchase for 399 or whatever. Do you expect every devic at every price point to come with an i9?

Clearly you haven't used one, and you are wrong on the second count as well. An acquaintance of mine has a 400 dollar dell laptop which she upgraded to 12 gigs of RAM and it has an ssd. It has an i3 and it works very well. Quite fast for emails, powerpoint and word and even some light photo editing in Photoshop.

On the other hand her 7th generation iPad with 32 gigs of space costed her 400 dollars(due to taxes). It runs quite slowly and starts lagging when she opens more than 5 tabs. She only uses it for imovie, goodnotes 5 and an app called Bazaart.  She says that she has to restart it every 2-3 days because it becomes too slow. 

The ipad has better multicore, but what good does that do, when you don't have good apps.

So no, the base model ipad is slow, slower than a core i3 with windows 10 for gods sake, no matter how you dice it. Anyway, you will come up with the argument, that the ipad has a touch screen and has a longer battery life. And I will counter by saying that Windows is 10x more versatile.

19 hours ago, Commodus said:

Not gonna happen. The issue isn't so much Apple's policies on choice as that macOS really isn't touch-optimized. It'd require a lot of work to not feel like... well, the half-hearted effort you see with Windows tablets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1-oq4Vr41U

some touch gestures.

2 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Clearly you haven't used one, and you are wrong on the second count as well. An acquaintance of mine has a 400 dollar dell laptop which she upgraded to 12 gigs of RAM and it has an ssd. It has an i3 and it works very well. Quite fast for emails, powerpoint and word and even some light photo editing in Photoshop.

I use a slower iPad. iPad pro 9.7" with A9X chip. And are you seriously just ignoring the extra cost associated with 12GB ram and SSD

On the other hand her 7th generation iPad with 32 gigs of space costed her 400 dollars(due to taxes). It runs quite slowly and starts lagging when she opens more than 5 tabs. She only uses it for imovie, goodnotes 5 and an app called Bazaart.  She says that she has to restart it every 2-3 days because it becomes too slow. 

I use a slower iPad on iOS 14.5. Apart from it's degraded battery, everything else runs perfectly fine. If you provide evidence of this issue being more widespread, then I will believe you, but other than that these are just claims

The ipad has better multicore, but what good does that do, when you don't have good apps.

So no, the base model ipad is slow, slower than a core i3 with windows 10 for gods sake, no matter how you dice it. Anyway, you will come up with the argument, that the ipad has a touch screen and has a longer battery life. And I will counter by saying that Windows is 10x more versatile.

No you ignored SSD and 12GB RAM upgrade price, and that windows laptop isnt going to last long, especially once gotten for 300 dollars with their shitty keyboard, trackpad and build quality in general. The iPad in that regard has vastly better build quality, portable, better battery. If you need windows apps, then iPad isnt the right device for you. But most general people will completely be fine with an iPad. And Windows 10X is shit. It's next to useless operating system

1 hour ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Eh, that's emulating the trackpad gestures on the screen. Like I said, it'd take a lot of work to offer true touch-native support! Microsoft is getting its ass kicked partly because Windows on a tablet feels like a desktop OS shoehorned into a place it doesn't belong.

2 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

An acquaintance of mine has a 400 dollar dell laptop which she upgraded to 12 gigs of RAM and it has an ssd.

May I point out that it's not a $400 laptop then? It was $400, it's not after those upgrades.

11 hours ago, Dominik W said:

From what I have heard, Windows 10 is the final version of Windows. Ever. They will only update it, like the upcoming Sun Valley redesign to fix things and well, redesign. Obviously though, you never know what might happen.

Just as Microsoft transitioned away from DOS to NT (New Technology kernel), Windows 10 will probably be the last version of NT, though I'm sure they will drag it out for years like MacOS did to OSX.

As for the next version of Windows? More then likely it will be Linux based with the first version being Server for datacenter usage (Hyper-V), SQL, and running Exchange for O365 hosted e-mail. A consumer version based on Linux would probably be 10 years from now or sooner if the current trajectory of MS's embracement of open source holds. 

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

May I point out that it's not a $400 laptop then? It was $400, it's not after those upgrades.

Yes it is a 400 dollar laptop. She bought it for 350 dollars, and added in 8 gigs of ram for 45 dollars. I am sorry if I mislead you for thinking it was a 400 dollar laptop

4 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

I use a slower iPad. iPad pro 9.7" with A9X chip. And are you seriously just ignoring the extra cost associated with 12GB ram and SSD

I use a slower iPad on iOS 14.5. Apart from it's degraded battery, everything else runs perfectly fine. If you provide evidence of this issue being more widespread, then I will believe you, but other than that these are just claims

No you ignored SSD and 12GB RAM upgrade price, and that windows laptop isnt going to last long, especially once gotten for 300 dollars with their shitty keyboard, trackpad and build quality in general. The iPad in that regard has vastly better build quality, portable, better battery. If you need windows apps, then iPad isnt the right device for you. But most general people will completely be fine with an iPad. And Windows 10X is shit. It's next to useless operating system

I just told you. It costed 400 dollars with upgrades. And it has been working for 2 years now. Her ipad is the same age. Both work equally well. It's just that the ipad slows down significantly and even consumes quite some battery on a zoom call. And as for the keyboard, it's somewhat shallow, but at least it is user replaceable. Not to mention, when her ipad's headphone jack died, her applecare had run out, and she has to use a dongle ever since.

Also SSD was built in. It was a small business vostro laptop and she has 3 years of on site care. And the ipad does run slow. While not documented in official news, it has often been discussed in tech forums. The general refrain is close some apps or restart. It runs well, but does get slow in a day or two.

And you are seriously ignoring the fact that the laptop had USB-C, USB, HDMI and an SD card and had 1.25 terabytes of storage(1 tb hdd + 256 gig ssd)

I have an air 4. I love it. But I feel guilty, since I was the one who recommended her to get the ipad. She still loves it, but hates the slowdowns

that windows laptop isnt going to last long, especially once gotten for 300 dollars with their shitty keyboard, trackpad and build quality in general.

My dad has a Dell Vostro 1550 with an i3. I got it for him in 2012. Still works

I'd like to add that I have a 2018 base iPad with the A10 and 128GB, and it still works flawlessly. No slowdown over 3 years, the battery doesn't even feel as if it's degraded much after using it. On Zoom calls on mine the battery doesn't deplete noticeably, even with Bluetooth and everything on to connect to a keyboard. I know people who have been using the same iPad for getting on 5 years with no complaints. This all comes down to personal experience, and iPad slowdown is not widely documented, as it isn't an actual issue that needs addressing, it really just comes down to how much storage it has, and how much you fill it with. The person they're talking about has likely filled their iPad with junk - 32GB goes surprisingly quickly in 2021.

At the lower end (around £400), iPads are incredibly more futureproof than Windows laptops. That's not to say I could use it as my main device, I tried once and could not do it. If all I did was browsing, word processing and light work though, the iPad could have been my main mobile device.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

5 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

'Why is my iPad so slow?': How to get your iPad running smoothly again | Business Insider India

Why Is My iPad So Slow? Learn How to Fix & Speed Up Any iPad (iphonelife.com)

How to Speed Up an iPad - Macworld UK

How to Fix a Slow iPad (lifewire.com)

They all mention the same thing: Restart the damn thing. Restarting is really annoying. And despite popular belief, ipads are used for stuff other than Word and office. They are also used for apps like canva, imovie and bazart. And if these apps cause slowdowns, then it can be conclusively said that Apple doesn't provide the magical experience they claim they provide, in their ads and their defence for the app store.

1 minute ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

They all mention the same thing: Restart the damn thing. Restarting is really annoying. And despite popular belief, ipads are used for stuff other than Word and office. They are also used for apps like canva, imovie and bazart. And if these apps cause slowdowns, then it can be conclusively said that Apple doesn't provide the magical experience they claim they provide, in their ads and their defence for the app store.

I have a 1st gen iPad Mini. Won it in a giveaway.

It can only run up to iPadOS 9 because it's just that old.

And guess what? It's perfectly fine for YouTube, Netflix, and Zoom. No stutters, no lag.

Sure, the battery life sucks and it can't run most apps because it's 9 years old now. But performance is perfectly fine for YouTube/Netflix/Zoom which is what we use it for.

Perhaps your friend's iPad has a hardware fault? My old school Chromebook ran like crap until it died. Freezing, Zoom ran like on a 56K modem, open up YouTube and you might get 5 FPS.

Once it died and I swapped (I only use it at school because I can't lug around a heavy tower + monitor + keyboard + mouse) everything ran much better. 1080p60 YouTube was no longer a pipe dream, Zoom was perfectly fine.

elephants