What if Apple had a better lineup...?

da na

Does anyone else think that it would be beneficial for Apple to have a wider lineup, including laptops/AIOs for people who don't like ports and slightly thicker ones for people that don't like dongles? I personally don't own any Mac computers from later than 2012 but some of my apple user friends complain frequently about the lack of I/O. 

1 minute ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

but some of my apple user friends complain frequently about the lack of I/O. 

Yeah, my moms macbook has 2 thunderbolt ports, and a headphone jack, the thunderbolt is used for charging too, so if your charging it, you only have 1 thunderbolt port.

Just now, Cool_Evlo said:

Yeah, my moms macbook has 2 thunderbolt ports, and a headphone jack, the thunderbolt is used for charging too, so if your charging it, you only have 1 thunderbolt port.

Or like how you can't charge an iphone and use headphones at the same time without like 3 dongles.

2 hours ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:
2 hours ago, Cool_Evlo said:

Or like how you can't charge an iphone and use headphones at the same time without like 3 dongles.

There's like 3 ways to....

Wireless charging and wired headphones (1 or 0 dongles)

Dual wired headphones and charging dongle (1 dongle)

Wired/wireless charging and Bluetooth headphones (0 dongles)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Does anyone else think that it would be beneficial for Apple to have a wider lineup, including laptops/AIOs for people who don't like ports and slightly thicker ones for people that don't like dongles? I personally don't own any Mac computers from later than 2012 but some of my apple user friends complain frequently about the lack of I/O. 

Apple customers are loyal to Apple. Things like lack of IO might make some complain but in the end the MAJORITY by the new product regardless because they want Apple. The amount of people refusing to buy based on something like IO is so minor that its not worth designing an entire line for them. You adapt to Apples new way or you dont buy Apple, but those that want it almost always justify it in the end

2 hours ago, comander said:

Unless you have a dock... or the charging cable has ports. I wonder if the latter exists. 

A USB hub is the best thing to get if you need more IO, its just inconvenient to have to carry one around. 

Apple's whole shtick is to have as few different products as possible:

• It's easier to funnel customers' purchases
  • It's less of a hassle to manage all their products
  • It endows its products with a higher trust in their brand identity (i.e, if Apple bothered to make it, it "has to be good")
  • Apple's products (generally) don't compete against themselves

This is like "Why must Noctua only have brown fans" questions years ago. Why would Apple need to do something which would cost them more and from what they wouldn't really make big profits? They aren't, and have never been, brand to serve customers. Its always been about image and having customers adjust to what Apple/Jobs has seen as future.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

15 hours ago, comander said:

Unless you have a dock... or the charging cable has ports. I wonder if the latter exists. 

A modern USB C Dock can be smaller than a power adapter for a laptop.

It's hardly that big an impediment anymore.  

As for lack IO, the majority of people don't want a bulky laptop with 10 USB ports, 3 HDMI ports, 2 ethernet ports and a chunky proprietary power adapter. For Apple users this is even less important, as Macs are about style and aesthetics, and the majority of work done on a Mac doesn't require heavy IO anyway.

Besides, the need for IO is shrinking in all aspects of the market. Find me an upmarket thin and light Windows laptop without a USB C port, I'll wait. USB C is a great option if you just need to charge the machine (which is a solid chunk of the userbase, as everything most people do is online now, so there's very little need to carry a USB stick around anymore), then USB C is great, as it provides a slim port that can be used to charge from a power bank. It also means that you don't have to struggle to find a propriety barrel charger if you don't have yours.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

6 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

As for lack IO, the majority of people don't want a bulky laptop with 10 USB ports, 3 HDMI ports, 2 ethernet ports and a chunky proprietary power adapter. For Apple users this is even less important, as Macs are about style and aesthetics, and the majority of work done on a Mac doesn't require heavy IO anyway.

Besides, the need for IO is shrinking in all aspects of the market. Find me an upmarket thin and light Windows laptop without a USB C port, I'll wait. USB C is a great option if you just need to charge the machine (which is a solid chunk of the userbase, as everything most people do is online now, so there's very little need to carry a USB stick around anymore), then USB C is great, as it provides a slim port that can be used to charge from a power bank. It also means that you don't have to struggle to find a propriety barrel charger if you don't have yours.

I guess I'm just used to my 5 USB ports, VGA, HDMI, 10/100 Ethernet and DVD-ROM on my older laptop... 

And that 3 pound power brick.

6 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

I guess I'm just used to my 5 USB ports, VGA, HDMI, 10/100 Ethernet and DVD-ROM on my older laptop... 

And that 3 pound power brick.

Comparing one of my older laptops to my new one, the difference is night and day. I've got older HP Pavilion 15s with DVD drives, 3 USB ports, an ethernet port and an SD card reader, I consider myself a "power user" but only ever used the charging port and one USB regularly. I will admit, there's nothing wrong with good IO, but holding on to older ports for too long on a thin and light machine makes no sense, it prevents the machine from being thin and light, which is the draw of Apple's line-up to a huge chunk of their userbase.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

26 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

Comparing one of my older laptops to my new one, the difference is night and day. I've got older HP Pavilion 15s with DVD drives, 3 USB ports, an ethernet port and an SD card reader, I consider myself a "power user" but only ever used the charging port and one USB regularly. I will admit, there's nothing wrong with good IO, but holding on to older ports for too long on a thin and light machine makes no sense, it prevents the machine from being thin and light, which is the draw of Apple's line-up to a huge chunk of their userbase.

Ah, I prefer the upgradability and cooling (and opportunity for greater performance) in thick and heavy laptops. (Mine has an older FX-9000 series APU and a RX 460).

16 hours ago, comander said:

I have an Anker adapter for my Macbook that has a few USB-B ports, an HDMI and a Type C that supports PD. It's out there, people usually just go for the cheapest $10 adapters.. $30 at Target to not-Apple is fine by me.

PC Interest - Thriving | Wallet Status - Near Empty

Ryzen 9 5900X, ASUS TUF RTX 4080

Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 16GB) 3600MHz, ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

6 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Ah, I prefer the upgradability and cooling (and opportunity for greater performance) in thick and heavy laptops. (Mine has an older FX-9000 series APU and a RX 460).

Fair enough, each to their own. That's why it's great that we have such a broad range of machines available, especially on the Windows and Linux side of things, choice is a grand thing. (I'm just nitpicking here, but "opportunity for greater performance" only goes up to a certain point, thin and lights are now incredibly powerful and can push speeds of up to 4.7GHz. My older, thicker laptops are at their limits for performance, and although they are upgradeable, there's no opportunity for any performance left. My new laptop, on the other hand, has a Thunderbolt 4 port that can support an eGPU.)

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

Just now, comander said:

Ohh I have one. I'm using it right now. 

The main complaint I'd have is, why not build it into the power brick of a charging cable? you need the bulk anyway... 

power bricks are plenty overpriced already, do you want them to go up to 200$?!

14 hours ago, blitzduck said:

Apple's products (generally) don't compete against themselves

Usually yeah, bit recently there's been a lot of cross competition. Why get a MacBook pro when the air really is the exact same thing? The toutchbar? That's not a selling point. That's a gimmick.

And the iPad pro is really stepping on the toes of the MacBook with a m1 iPad.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

It’s just not their market, there are so many other options for that kind of stuff. Namely the big 3 in the enterprise space, Lenovo, HP and Dell. They all have an obscene amount of options ranging from tiny low end education netbooks to extremely high specced mobile workstations and everything in between. They have those markets nailed down and Apple wouldn’t be able to see enough sales with their already niche market spread even thinner.

For example, here’s the current apple lineup:

-MacBook Air

-MacBook Pro

-24” iMac

-27” iMac

-mac mini

-mac pro

This covers casual home users, higher end machines for home or business, the larger MacBook pro is their mobile workstation, the Mac Pro being their super high end professional machine.

Meanwhile here’s Lenovo:

-Yoga convertible laptops

-yoga thinkpads for convertible X series

-X series small business laptops

-T series 14/15” business laptops

-L and E series cheaper options of the same above things

-P series mobile workstations in 15 or 17”

-x1 series is the same deal but in ultra book form factors, small x1 nanos and large x1 carbons and workstation oriented X1 extremes

-x1 yoga, same thing but convertible

-think books which are consumer oriented thinkpads meant to replace the old SL/R series

-ideapads, a purely consumer lineup with tons of its own options for size and specs

Think of a budget and a spec requirement and Lenovo has a laptop for it. And that’s just them, on Dells website for the latitude alone there’s like 40 different models. Not to even mention Precision’s or the entirety of HP’s lineup.

Apple basically has to keep their product line simple because their customers want those more generalized options, and too many options = huge development and production costs just segmenting their same sales pool.

If Apple had more products they’d overall sell less of each individual model, wouldn’t be able to compete with the lineup of other companies, and would just hemorrhage money.

19 hours ago, blitzduck said:

Apple's whole shtick is to have as few different products as possible:

• It's easier to funnel customers' purchases
  • It's less of a hassle to manage all their products
  • It endows its products with a higher trust in their brand identity (i.e, if Apple bothered to make it, it "has to be good")
  • Apple's products (generally) don't compete against themselves

To add to this, it's also far easier to keep a handle on their OS, vs Microsoft or Android OEMs having to support a zillion different devices. 

4 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Usually yeah, bit recently there's been a lot of cross competition. Why get a MacBook pro when the air really is the exact same thing?

Cooling. The MacBook Air has 0 heat issues until you load the GPU, then it cosplays as a reactor meltdown - aka it slams into the 90s and downclocks as you'd expect. If I were doing anything that uses the GPU (I only ran some graphics tests to see how it behaved as a passively cooled device), I'd want the MacBook Pro. If I wanted a chunky increase in battery life, also the Pro. 

4 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

And the iPad pro is really stepping on the toes of the MacBook with a m1 iPad.

A bit, but it's far more of a "really boss iPad for iPad people", as Apple still keeps iPad OS and macOS separate. If I wanna run the full versions of most apps, I need macOS. Apple does likely hold that line to keep the iPad from eating the Air though. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I guess you'll most likely need the extra ports when either at home or the office where you can leave a hub. Plus it gives them a chance to rinse you for accessories, not every Mac user want to be seen using Anker gear 😱

16 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

This is like "Why must Noctua only have brown fans" questions years ago. Why would Apple need to do something which would cost them more and from what they wouldn't really make big profits? They aren't, and have never been, brand to serve customers. Its always been about image and having customers adjust to what Apple/Jobs has seen as future.

And now noctua sells black fans and coolers. 

Apple has a formula to it's success and they won't change until there's competition.  People buy apple for the branding but stay for the "quality". apple simply can't make too many products to muddy up the waters and risk poor feedback.  

22 hours ago, comander said:

Ohh I have one. I'm using it right now. 

The main complaint I'd have is, why not build it into the power brick of a charging cable? you need the bulk anyway... 

That's fair. I know the new iMac adapters include ethernet in the power brick for certain models.

My perspective is Apple tries to create the least amount of clutter out of the box as possible. Ideally, they would sell dock systems for the MacBooks at a reasonable price that could handle all of this on the side but Apple has never been one to make all-in-one accessories like that Belkin likely offers something like it I just don't care enough to take a look. After having mine for some time, I've only actually had to pull out my dongle a handful of times honestly.

PC Interest - Thriving | Wallet Status - Near Empty

Ryzen 9 5900X, ASUS TUF RTX 4080

Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 16GB) 3600MHz, ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero