Vendors who don't take Credit/Debit Cards?

whm1974

I need replacement Fans for my Zotac 970 dGPU and this is whom I first looked at:

https://www.gpufanreplacement.com/collections/zotac/products/zotac-geforce-gtx-970-fan-replacement

I tried to place an order but the Vendor only takes PayPal and another similar Company. So I end up ordering from Amazon instead.

What is it with Online Vendor not using Standard Payment Options like everyone else? This is annoying....

Pretty common to take Paypal only, saves from having to process credit card information directly and more secure. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

12 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

What is it with Online Vendor not using Standard Payment Options like everyone else? This is annoying....

Simple. The vendor gets hacked and they are not responsible for credit card data getting out. Pushes all the risk on to PayPal and other services like PayPal. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

15 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Simple. The vendor gets hacked and they are not responsible for credit card data getting out. Pushes all the risk on to PayPal and other services like PayPal. 

My solution is don't save CC/DC on the Site. It works quite well.

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

My solution is don't save CC/DC on the Site. It works quite well.

Your still providing them with the info, and you have no way of knowing if the site is compromised. Plus each credit card provide charges fees. PayPal could be charging cheaper fees. 

Fees, PayPal has a deep pool and pays way less so they charge the user less.

Depends on the business though and what country they're in. 

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

saves from having to process credit card information directly and more secure. 

There are other options like Stripe.

btw I think PayPal also sometimes allows to enter the card info without PayPal account?

2 hours ago, whm1974 said:

I need replacement Fans for my Zotac 970 dGPU and this is whom I first looked at:

https://www.gpufanreplacement.com/collections/zotac/products/zotac-geforce-gtx-970-fan-replacement

I tried to place an order but the Vendor only takes PayPal and another similar Company. So I end up ordering from Amazon instead.

What I find annoying is ones that don't take paypal, looking at you canada computers. Not taking credit/debit is strange as I don't think I've ever seen that, but when tech related companies in general don't accept one or any other type of payment it's just annoying, like do you want peoples money or not?

-> Moved to Off Topic

Bit odd for them to not support CCs while listing them on the site. Then again, this company operates from Albania, so it might be some restrictions by CCs for international payments. Or by government there.

I would prefer PayPal or direct payments over using CC/DC. I've had my CC number stolen once, don't need to go that hassle again. PayPal and direct payments are more secure.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

The % drops when the business does really well with CC sales.

When the company I worked for did 2 Million dollars a year in sales, most were CC transactions, and that dropped the rate from 2.5% to 1 3/4% for that year

My provider charges 2.95% to 3.25% depending on the card but that's less than 250k/year in sales, they charge a premium for unswiped cards and no online debit.  My debit fees at the pos are a flat 10cents per transaction.  My business isn't online but you can see that 1 or 2% is attractive for small webstores.  

My theory has always been to accept cash/credit/debit/cheques, more ways to pay does equate to a small amount of extra business and I'll take whatever I can get in a stable, easily cashed, local currency.  This is why wildly fluctuating crypto coins are not viable for business.  

54 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

American Express was the worst @4%, then they shut us down because a customer was complaining that we were charging an extra %.

Next time I get gas I need to see if the stations take AE. Because most stations in Metro Detroit charge 10 cents more per gallon if you use plastic. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Next time I get gas I need to see if the stations take AE. Because most stations in Metro Detroit charge 10 cents more per gallon if you use plastic. 

I think that's getting more and more common everywhere. The part of Washington I grew up in was a 15 cent cash discount. Up here in AK I've seen 25 cent discounts for cash. Most places here are 10 though.

Makes sense to do. Pay cash, you get a discount that covers the CC cost.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

23 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

Lots of the CC readers have been comprimised: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/02/checkout-skimmers-powered-by-chip-cards/

I always paid cash because of this issue

Thats why you use Mobile Payments or Credit Cards instead of Debit. I use Apple Pay at Shell because I get 15 cents off of each gallon of gas due to T Mobile Tuesdays each week. 

22 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Makes sense to do. Pay cash, you get a discount that covers the CC cost.

One problem. My generation dont carry cash. I generally dont keep cash on me. I have cash at home in a safe for emergencies. But I pay with plastic. And especially with the pandemic going on, no way in hell I want to wall in to any place if I dont have to. Most food places I use Mobile ordering with either delivery or curb side. Gas stations I choose to pay at the pump. The only reason I dont do curb side at Walmart is because we are never 100% sure what we need beforehand. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

My generation dont carry cash.

Curious what one that is. I'm late 20s and always carry cash. That might just be circumstances of geography though. You're more likely to get help on the side of the road here with cash than a card you know?

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

9 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

You're more likely to get help on the side of the road here with cash than a card you know?

You dont stop and help in Metro Detroit. You can a 50/50 chance of getting robbed. Plus thee are a lot of crazies out there. 

I do keep $20 in my car for emergencies. But I do know how to change a tire, as thats the most common issue Im going to have. My car is a 2018 Nissan Rouge, with just over 20K miles on it. I dont go to the bank regular as I have direct deposit. My bank is like 8 miles from my house and there are none between my home and work. So I have to go out of my way to go to the bank, so I choose to use cards. I wont use any ATM outside of my bank, because as @SGT-AMDpointed out, many have issues with card skimmers. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

You dont stop and help in Metro Detroit. You can a 50/50 chance of getting robbed. Plus thee are a lot of crazies out there. 

Ah, as long as you don't stop in Mountain View in Anchorage, or in certain parts of Wasilla you're good here. 

Tire would be most common thing for me, but you never know. There are also random gas stations that can't take card. It's more or less for "I went in the ditch can you pull me out? Thanks, here's $20"

As far as ATM goes, I don't use them. I will just drive to the window at the bank and do a withdraw there. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 hour ago, SGT-AMD said:

Lots of the CC readers have been comprimised: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/02/checkout-skimmers-powered-by-chip-cards/

I always paid cash because of this issue

CCs have protection against fraud if it ever happens.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

30 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

There are also random gas stations that can't take card. It's more or less for "I went in the ditch can you pull me out?

I pay $7 extra to Progressive for assistance. Technically I can call them for the tire. If I got stuck in a ditch Id just call them. Because at the end of the day, Ive paid for the service. 

31 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

There are also random gas stations that can't take card.

Gas stations around here are not that stupid. They know, no card = less business. Ive come across one restaurant locally that wont take cards, well I dont eat their as a result, no loss to me. At one time the State of Michigan wouldn't take Visa, so when I had to pay for my tags an license I would need cash, but they did take every other card, now they take them all. Sams Club is the other place that wont take Visa credit but will take Visa debit. 

My way of thinking is this. Dont take card, you dont need my businesses. Similar to video games. Your not on Steam? Well I wont buy your game. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

. My generation dont carry cash.

People should always carry some cash with them just in case of outages.  Have you never rolled up to a gas station or store with a hand written sign on the door saying their system is down and cash only?  There are also lots of things that you can only buy with cash ;). 

3 minutes ago, Heliian said:

People should always carry some cash with them just in case of outages.  Have you never rolled up to a gas station or store with a hand written sign on the door saying their system is down and cash only?  There are also lots of things that you can only buy with cash ;). 

7-11 has done before even with EBT(Food Stamps).

2 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

I think Brian Krebs did a story with Apple Pay, and a skimmer. Not sure tho. I will see if I can find it

Skimmers wont work with Google and Apple Pay. Because the retailer doesnt get your info, they get a token that represents your card and a ONE time use password, thats it. In order for a skimmer to be effective they need to slide or insert your card. 

41 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

In the mean time, your account might be locked, while waiting for the bank to figure it out.

If you have any money in it, you would not have access to it.

Money is refunded before they do their inquiry, if they ever bother. You have access to your account. Only bother is following the steps online or having to call, and waiting for the new card. Most people carry a few extra cards.

Happened to me once in 13 years.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Open a PayPal & link your debit card to it instead of your bank account because it has that feature.. Not exactly hard.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

52 minutes ago, SGT-AMD said:

Here is the article I was talking about: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/02/bluetooth-overlay-skimmer-that-blocks-chip/

It forces you to swipe, because it cannot read the chip.

Wont work at the gas station though. I pay for my gas thru the Shell app via Apple Pay because its tied in to the Fuel Rewards app which is where T Mobile gives me my discount. Most retailers I would assume would spot tampering. 

Also mobile payments would still work, to my understanding. Which means they get jack shit. I know Meijer supports both Google and Apple Pay, Walmart has to be special and only support their own payment app, but I have never had an issue with using a chip card at Walmart. Sure if you go in to some rink a dink place thats kinda sketchy, you might encounter one of these. Hell Ive heard stories that Gas Station owners are some times in cahoots with the thieves, in the fact they allow these devices to be placed. But Law Enforcement is also taking notice. Im sure the banks are too. 

2 hours ago, Heliian said:

Have you never rolled up to a gas station or store with a hand written sign on the door saying their system is down and cash only? 

Well seeing how we have to pay before we pump thats not really an issue. Because if the powers out, there is no pumping of gas.  The alternative is an issue with the internet and there are 2 gas stations per corner in the metro area pretty much. So no, we dont have that issue very often. Also considering im not a complete moron and I dont run my gas tank down to zero. I fill up once a week, period. Many times thats about 1/4 to 1/2 of a tank.  I fill up weekly because I lived thru the blackout of 2003. So I know what can happen. And carrying cash didnt help then because none of the gas stations had well working pumps.