Hard Drive and SSD Shortages Could Be Imminent If New Cryptocurrency Blooms

Pickles von Brine
22 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

If she ever does use an SSD she'll wonder how she dealt with the slow mechanical drive. 

Heh.  Ide was worse.  The systems can handle it.  They were built for things slower than ide

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Heh.  Ide was worse.  The systems can handle it.  They were built for things slower than ide

I know that IDE drives were worse. I used them when they were current and I still use them today. Windows 10 wasn't built for IDE drives, though, so that doesn't really apply here. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

3 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

I know that IDE drives were worse. I used them when they were current and I still use them today. Windows 10 wasn't built for IDE drives, though, so that doesn't really apply here. 

You use them?  Why?  They are fast enough for CDroms I suppose

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You use them?  Why?  They are fast enough for CDroms I suppose

Why not? The hardware works and it does what I need it to. No need to replace what isn't broken. One of my machines using IDE drives is a NAS. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

3 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Why not? The hardware works and it does what I need it to. No need to replace what isn't broken. One of my machines using IDE drives is a NAS. 

Fair.  Those drives are probably awful old by now. My current motherboard has an IDE port.  I’m not sure I’ve ever used it though.  My understanding is ide stuff is still produced.  Saw a pic of an ide ssd once.  It’s supposed to be expensive though.

50 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

If she ever does use an SSD she'll wonder how she dealt with the slow mechanical drive. 

Unfortunately, the works PCs aren’t much better, as them supposedly running SSDs, they somehow perform comparable or worse compared to the Atom machine I’ve at home that uses a HDD. Even my RCA tablet (bought for $100 5 years ago) with 32 GB eMMC feels equally responsive. I have to wonder where our IT went so horribly wrong. I’m almost impressed. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Fair.  Those drives are probably awful old by now. My current motherboard has an IDE port.  I’m not sure I’ve ever used it though.  My understanding is ide stuff is still produced.  Saw a pic of an ide ssd once.  It’s supposed to be expensive though.

I don't think mechanical drives are still produced, but SATA to IDE adapters are available. IDE SSDs are usually just an enclosure with some sort of mSATA SSD inside. They aren't too expensive. Definitely more than your average SATA SSD, but not terribly so.

The NAS I have with IDE drives is based on a Socket 478 Pentium 4. It has 2 SATA ports on the motherboard. It isn't exclusively IDE; one of the optical drives uses SATA and a couple hard drives use SATA. The other drives are IDE though. 

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Unfortunately, the works PCs aren’t much better, as them supposedly running SSDs, they somehow perform comparable or worse compared to the Atom machine I’ve at home that uses a HDD. Even my RCA tablet (bought for $100 5 years ago) with 32 GB eMMC feels equally responsive. I have to wonder where our IT went so horribly wrong. I’m almost impressed. 

Cheap SSDs can be worse than mechanical hard drives. If they're really low quality then that would explain it. 

The news broke out 3 days ago in China, and all of sudden nearly all hard drives went out of stock. Many retailers even give you a lot of cash for "recycling" hard drives.

Currently 8TB+ HDDs' price increase ~100%, 4TB is around 20%. Usually you can find some enterprise level SSD with high durability on second-hand market, and they are nowhere to be found now.

1 hour ago, Icarus_Radio said:

The news broke out 3 days ago in China, and all of sudden nearly all hard drives went out of stock. Many retailers even give you a lot of cash for "recycling" hard drives.

Currently 8TB+ HDDs' price increase ~100%, 4TB is around 20%. Usually you can find some enterprise level SSD with high durability on second-hand market, and they are nowhere to be found now.

I don't see any problem on Amazon. Must be thing in China.

Given raw mass and storage requirements, I don't see this crypto going anywhere. It's just another alt-coin.

And hey, if I've wrong...so be it. Let the entire industry burn to the ground. At some point, the hammer will drop on crypto and be banned as an instrument for money laundering.

18 minutes ago, StDragon said:

I don't see any problem on Amazon. Must be thing in China.

Given raw mass and storage requirements, I don't see this crypto going anywhere. It's just another alt-coin.

And hey, if I've wrong...so be it. Let the entire industry burn to the ground. At some point, the hammer will drop on crypto and be banned as an instrument for money laundering.

Yep, it is in China only. Currently GPU and large HDD are toooooooooooo expensive to afford for a normal gamer here.

2 hours ago, Icarus_Radio said:

Sounds like a toilet paper reaction.  I remember reading somewhere that the whole toilet paper thing started with a humorous Japanese meme.  

3 hours ago, Icarus_Radio said:

Yep, it is in China only. Currently GPU and large HDD are toooooooooooo expensive to afford for a normal gamer here.

I posted this question a couple days ago asking why jd.com was sold out. Guess I have my answer. Just as I was going to pick up a couple 8tb drives... 

8 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

And laptops are what benefits from SSD's the most by far. I have SSD's in laptops since beginning. I even stuck Intel X25-M 80GB SSD into ACER Aspire One. Battery lasted much longer, it was cooler and so much responsive. Haven't had HDD's in laptops since.

I haven't really looked into it yet but this cryptocurrency doesn't sound particularly exciting to me since it seems to be originating from China?

I'd much prefer to see something like Arweave take off as it's main feature is that anything stored on it is essentially permanent which should make it difficult for governments to censor or remove content they dislike. Obviously this will be misused to share unethical content but I think it's ultimately better for society to a system like that than to not.

Also disclaimer: I was given 0.05 AR when I setup my Arweave wallet but I actually like the project enough to support the network despite the rather high upfront hardware requirements. Arweave uses RandomX so a good CPU is preferred and then in addition that it also needs quick access to lots of data so high capacity NVMEs or SSDs are ideal. Also the chances of getting a block aren't particularly great even with really good hardware so I wouldn't recommend mining it unless you like the network and want to make sure it works well.

17 hours ago, BuckGup said:

This is all overhyped clickbait shit. Burstcoin, which is virtually identical to this, came out many years ago and there is no shortage of hard drives or SSDs because of it

Thank you kind and intelligent soul for passing this information to your fellow forum members, I didn't know of this information and was worried that soon all the PC components would be scalped

17 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Selling one Maxtor Raptor 78Gb $999.99 good deal for you 

selling 50gb 5400rpm hard drve $9999.99 great deal no scam

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

6 hours ago, mon1ka said:

selling 50gb 5400rpm hard drve $9999.99 great deal no scam

Too low to be true 

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Too low to be true 

No no sir can confirm this is wholesale give 5 stars eBay review yesand send PayPal and address so I can rob you  send you your high quality drive no scam 

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Too low to be true 

50TB NVMe NGFF M.2 22110 PCIe 5.0 x8 NGFF Crucial NVMe STORAGE DRIVE - $69420 from NoScam

Spoiler

800GB NVMe x4 MU M.2 22110 DS

2-day warranty from the date of purchase

$666 drone shipping from Japan - guaranteed delivery in 6.9 hours!

NO REFUNDS
NO RETURNS
NO MONEY BACK GUARANTEE

elephants

meh, was contemplating on buying a 6TB drive, this made me pull the trigger

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

8 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

meh, was contemplating on buying a 6TB drive, this made me pull the trigger

6TB external drive? Video editor my guess? 

Daily drivers

1 minute ago, mon1ka said:

6TB external drive? Video editor my guess? 

an internal 6TB ironwolf, to run in redundancy with my existing one

i'm a data hoarder, and i hate losing a single byte so i tend to have 4-5 copies of my files scattered everywhere (including in other houses in case this one catches on fire)

it's fine when it's ~8gb 15 years ago, now my stash has grown to ~3TB and it has been a headache to backup and manage them

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

So maybe this hard drive might be good for mining?

Spoiler

That is, mining the metals & whatever else out of the physical drive itself? 😛

As for disk space... I'm okay right now (have an unused 14TB drive plus about a TB or so used of an 8TB drive - actually 2 of each but the 2nd is intended for backup, and probably a bit over a TB or so free space between my laptop's 4 SSDs), but... If I start doing do a lot of 4K video recording, it could chew through that pretty quickly.  (My Panasonic FZ1000 records ~100Mbps, so 4 GB is ~5:55 or so.)

Also, I see the IDE drives mentioned in the thread ... 

Maybe these would have to make a temporary comeback, cause they'd be the only drives available, considering they're probably not all that great for mining, I presume? 😜

Spoiler

59152f4e46c5e_s-l1600-ST-251.jpg.c6e004c014d2a48d5795e336f0283402.jpg59152f5639291_s-l1600-ST-412.thumb.jpg.c0f095757daa01f265c5fc0b875c6042.jpg59152f574974e_P0019961-ST-225.JPG.60d959c859f2105c178dd8455c5f0e17.JPG5.25_inch_MFM_hard_disk_drive_Maxtor_vs_2.5_HDD.JPG.af9d59890b7059b47f47ef37391aeefd.JPGibm-3390-hard-drive-teardown.jpg.0321c7f6d937b83684ee875e12a77a5f.jpg

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

an internal 6TB ironwolf, to run in redundancy with my existing one

i'm a data hoarder, and i hate losing a single byte so i tend to have 4-5 copies of my files scattered everywhere (including in other houses in case this one catches on fire)

it's fine when it's ~8gb 15 years ago, now my stash has grown to ~3TB and it has been a headache to backup and manage them

Oh. My still waking brain read it as external sorry. The only data I like backing up is photos, school stuff and old client render commissions.the latter might bite me in the ass someday but I just like having a record of stuff, you know? 

Daily drivers