Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Born with one hand - custom gaming setup.

Hey guys! My name is Pat Miller - big fan of the channel for years, great work over there! The creativity and non-stop effort you guys put in does not go unnoticed.

Anyways, I had an idea for a potential video, let me know what you think.

I was born with only one hand, so on my left I have a "nub" that ends about where my wrist is. I've been a gamer my entire life, and I've obviously had to make some adaptive changes, such as the way I hold a controller and how I use my keyboard/mouse. I’d be happy to create a short video to showcase everything if you’d like.

So, I was curious if you guys would be interesting in making a video about me. “Custom gaming setup for limb deficiency” or “gaming rig for one handed gamer”. Whatever, something like that. We could focus on things like the best keyboard/mouse setup, foot pedals, other accessories, etc. I think people might find it really fascinating.

I’ve built a few computers in my day and am also a filmmaker, so I have lots in common with you guys!

So yeah, just a thought. And like I said, I’m happy to send a video introducing myself and showing my current setup if you’d like. Wanted to reach out first.

Have a good one!

Thanks!

Pat

nubbed3 copy.jpg

I think the person who made this video would be cool if you did a reaction video of this 

Please do a video for prospective buyers of RTX 4090s about buying a PSU which meets the ATX3.0 standard. I need a new PSU and have almost been caught out by multiple AIB's recommending ATX 2.0 PSUs on their 4090 product pages(see below).

these PCIe gen 5 ready PSUs that are ATX2.0 are giving me flashbacks of HD ready TV's and are basically just adaptor cables which don't have the 4 control pins to regulate the high wattage going through the cables. Also ATX 2.0 PSUs aren't rated to be able to handle the 200% transient load required by the ATX3.0 standard that I expect will be required by the 4090. There is also the dangers of these adaptor cables catching fire as reported by Jay and Steve. As a side note I find it strange how few ATX3.0 PSUs there are on the market for the 40 series launch. It almost seems like the manufactures have been caught out by the sudden requirement for PCIe gen 5 on the new Nvidia cards

https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-graphics-cards/ascend-to-new-heights-with-the-new-geforce-rtx-4090-and-rtx-4080-cards-from-rog-strix-and-tuf-gaming/

OpenRGB and Project Aurora for better RGB control. Looks like OpenRGB can even control a few brands of smart bulbs. Just ran across this tonight, seems right up your alley. Looks like project aurora isn't needed for all keyboards, but my Corsair does. Seems like Logitech doesn't? 

Hey LMG!

There are a lot of similar looking / similarly priced portable battery banks on the market, but it's hard to pick out which one(s) are actually the best bang for your buck when it comes to mobile phone charging. It would be great to see a video similar to your HDMI Cable Testing video with portable battery banks to help consumers pick out which products are / are not worth the "charge".

Thanks!

EDIT: Looks like this video actually does exist, but is from six years ago - I wonder if the same results are true in today's market!

Edited by falseboo
Video exists, but could use an update!

"Lapyard Wars" Challenge with Sustainability in Mind... 

Objektive is: Get a Laptop with a broken Screen (or just a Laptop Motherboard), be creative and turn it into a Mini-PC -like the Framework Mainboard with the 3D-Printed Case, just with a little more...  "should be fine..."-Alex-Vibes 😄

Judges will then give points for Idea*, Design, Performance2Cost Ratio, Noise-Level etc.
(*Idea means it does not have to be a Windows PC in the End, can be a NAS, Media Player, Home-Server, Game Emulation Station, Art-Installation that looks like a miniature Grandfather Clock and also happens to be a Computer etc...)

Something like that - OK maybe I just need some inspiration for my next strange project 🤣

Hey LTT, I’ve had an awesome idea inspired by two of your videos in the past.  The first being a real throw back to when Linus tried to link everyone’s computer in the office to the same water cooling loop and then vent the heat outside to keep the workstations cool.  He failed to consider the heat dissipation from the copper pipes he used and ended up being disappointed in the system ability to truly remove heat from the room.  That got me thinking that a future wall mounted build with copper piping would be really cool as my main focus wouldn’t be to pull heat out of the room… But then I started to wonder if the natural convection of the pipes could be exploited.  Much like the video you all have on that one natural convection case with massive radiators and no fans or pumps.  What if someone turned a whole wall into a liquid cooled radiator using copper pipe.  Cost efficient, probably not- but  I think it would be one of the quietest setups as it might remove the need for fans without sacrificing cooling capability.  Here’s a brief explanation of the setup I have in mind:

Imagine an inlet and outlet port protruding from a low spot in your office wall. Beside it is an access panel, which houses the pumps and electronics necessary to run the system while helping to isolate the sound of those pumps from the office space.  A PC sits next to these items with its liquid cooled blocks hooked up to the wall ports, not a single fan spins on this system.  The systems water flow follows the following pattern: upon exiting the PC the water is pumped directly up to a reservoir near the top of the room’s roof, much like a water tower.  From there a pipe leaving the reservoir juts to the side, eventually looping and turning back towards its original position.  This cooling pipe proceeds to snake back and forth down the entire wall like this in a typical radiator fashion until finally reaching the inlet/outlet position.  I consider this a series loop as the loop uses a single inlet outlet to achieve cooling…I’ve often wondered, but never looked into the advantages of running several up/down pipes in a parallel configuration.  Flow rate would increase but end temperature may increase?  Thermal equations exist to calculate all of this so I’d be curious to see the expected versus actual results.  In a video it’d be really cool to see a thermal camera find where the pipe reaches room temperature to determine the true minimal length pipe necessary to achieve desired cooling results. (Also the system would have a stupid amount of thermal capacitance so it would take a long time to heat up to a steady state point and I’m curious what that time is under different thermal loads).  I myself am a mechanical engineer and would love to answer questions you may have on this proposed idea or develop sample sketches/drawings to further depict the concept.

-Lyn

End note:

I always thought I’d get around to trying this and eventually post the results to you all and reddit, but we just had our second child and time and resources are being diverted to more pressing matters.  So I’m hoping to see if you all would be willing to investigate this and have fun with it for me 🙂

Good luck!

It's been 5 years since the 16K gaming video. Maybe it's time for gaming at 32K? Especially now that SLI, which was used in the original build, is going away with the RTX 4000 series cards. Gosh darn it, we need another giant monitor array!

EDIT: Seems like this has been suggested before by nvidia-amd gamer. Bringing it into light once more!

Edited by DreigoAgnet
Acknowledgment

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

can we review this in a video?

Since this next generation of video cards are expected to be more physically monstrous than ever, it got me thinking... what if LTT built a SBC-like PC and harvested a GPU cooler to cool it? Basically imagine an entire custom desktop "gaming" PC that almost looks like it's just a video card. Thinking something like the Khadas Edge 2, then harvesting or machining a I/O shield, backplate, and heatsink to be compatible with a cooler off a current/last gen video card. Extra points if you get the RGB to actually work. 

For those more visually inclined: 
image.thumb.png.bf2d2bba2dfb91ab7375b3433b49362d.png

Re-watched Plastic Chef on CSF, can we do it again sometime but using unorthodox methods vs easybake? thinking Alex with a blowtorch vs Radiator desk and a couple 3090's for heat sources

Hey, how is everyone? 

I have a suggestion for a video, baby monitors. 

I'm expecting my first soon and have started looking at monitors. There are so many options it's difficult to choose, various prices and quality etc. 

So far top of my list is the Panasonic kx-hc600k-w

Even so, it's difficult to choose.

Bit out of the usual box but I think it could be useful to the community.

I have some old DangerDen stuff lying around. I've heard Linus mention them before. Any interest from LTT?

In lieu of Intel releasing 13th Gen processors they also released released 12th Gen NUCs the ASROCK NUC with i5 1240p and dual 2.5Gb ethernet looks really tempting for cheap homelab use would be really interesting to see how well it performs considering its 4 performance core 8 efficiency core 12 core 16 thread processor

Revisit this video idea: 

It's extremely relevant with the upcoming winter heating crisis and the launch of new and very power hungry PC hardware.

Will LTT Lab have a water pressure chamber for testing device IP ratings and diving capability?

Where art thou ATX 3.0 PSU?

I edit my posts more often than not

Hi, I am Mechanical Engineer and I am currently doing freelance/consulting work.  I heavily use soldiworks for 3d modelings and diferent types of simulations.  In 2018 you did  a very intersting video (3D Modeling & Design – Do you REALLY need a Xeon and Quadro?). A lot of hardarware and software development has come since then. I know many friends and colleagues would love to see an update of CAD/CAE workstation depending on different needs and budgets. 

As a fan of self hosted services I recently found out about umbrel which is a platform that allows you to easily, from one machine, host multiple services. It looks like it is backed by docker-compose but abstracts all of that away from you and gives you a web portal that you can just add and configure these services from like an app store. I think there are a pretty good amount of people who would love to have some self hosted services (home assistant, pi-hole, plex, etc) but don't want to maintain multiple devices or a well and proper "server", This service might be just right for them. In addition to that it's a cool idea and it would be cool to draw attention to it.

Would be really cool to have a video (might be a good one for Anthony to host) that goes over setting up Umbel and the things you can do with it. It would be really cool to set it up both on a Raspberry Pi and on something beefier (maybe a dell mini PC, or a PC gaming computer a few generations old) to see if it's worth going bigger if you want to run multiple things.

Edit: Looking more deeply into it I'm a bit less excited, they seem a bit too into crypto for my taste, but I'll try it out anyhow

Content: KVM-Switches

Keywords: resolution, refresh rate, KVM over IP, PiKVM, emulation, gaming vs. professional use, cable length

Recommended Writer: Anthony Young

Related Content: bxya-divayE

I had a half baked idea for doing a task using two mice with two pointers on a dual monitor setup (that would almost certainly be easier to just automate with a macro) but it did lead me down the rabbit hole of multiple mouse/pointers software which is a thing that does indeed exist and what people are using them for. EitherMouse (freeware https://eithermouse.com/) seems to be a fully hashed out piece of software with a lot of different settings to fart around with. The two most practical/not totally niche use cases I have read about are folks having a separate mouse/cursor for adjusting settings while using a drawing tablet and people who choose to use a trackball as their daily driver with really high acceleration having a mouse for non-trackball using humans to use with a normal acceleration setting or for them to use for gaming.

Not a video suggestion, but one of quality on every video:

LTT uses a dark gradient on its opening that Youtube turns into massive 8-bit banding, even in 4k which tends to otherwise be somewhat decent quality.  You should try adding some grain or dither to see if you can come up with something that will make it through Youtube's compression.

If you want to send me a link to a raw opening, I could try some different f3kdb settings and see if anything works for your use case.  I've been known to do an encode here and there...

Untitled.png

This could be a whole series

Im wanting to connect USB cameras for Dashcam / video surveillance / Video Calls, a touch screen, USB Microphone for making calls in my car and and anything else ill fancy via a thunderbolt dock but I want to make sure that my electronics are getting good clean power under load.

I have been looking through amazon and all of the best sellers but there's no scientific test published on YouTube proving what there advertising.

I know Generators are hard on electronics Im assuming the cheaper amazon inverters are as well.

Yall could use that new fancy power supply testing rack to verify the advertised ratings of the Automotive or 12v Sinewave inverter products.
I know I would feel comfortable using any product you had proven meets its  advertised ratings or what if you overdraw even.

I don't have an oscilloscope so I cant do this myself.

Im sure many communities would find this content very valuable.

Just some examples below.

image.png.4ab0bbaff704c79b9225d4a70b44d06c.png

image.png.5a578d12c39cf924c5d546aa88e54d8f.png

image.thumb.png.c4652a7cdbbfccaceccee62737e03964.png

image.png.1091c7aaa781c85ffbf49509783d696b.png

Hey LTT, 

Been wondering about your recent increase of behind-the-scenes videos, which I find interesting and refreshing. 

On the same note, you mention floatplane somewhat frequently but it seems to me there isn't enough coverage of floatplane on the LTT channel. 

If you are looking to increase awareness and grow floatplane I think a series of BTS videos with some of the current floatplane creators would be great. 

Just like you do with intel upgrades - show the people's lives behind the camera. 

Take DunkPods for example. He's got a great personality and his drum streams are great fun. 

Go visit him, film a day in the life. Have some genuine fun. And in parallel, you can promote floatplane streaming by showing what goes into setting up a stream and the quality of broadcast compared to, indirectly, of course, some other platforms. 

Cheers, 

Stan

PS: Not sure how eager Luke might be to host that but it certainly would be cool for him to do so. Otherwise, I am sure mr LTT will be hella entertaining as well.