Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Working titles:

"We Become Radiators for Science?"/"Using Humans as Radiators?"

"Who is the Best Radiator in the Office?"

"Enter a Symbiotic Relationship with your PC?"/"Become one with your PC?"

"Stay Warm this Winter"

Choosing and Using Cool Shirt Driver Cooling Systems - Pegasus Auto Racing  Supplies

Idea:

Attach a Cool Shirt designed for racing (~$150 USD) to a CPU loop or GPU loop.

Buy S, M, L, XL, and test multiple willing participants in the office.

Attach people in series. Use box fans and oscillating fans for more cooling! 

Obviously this is designed to bring the cold from the cooler to your body, but flip the thermodynamics on its head and bring the heat from your PC to your body and you become the radiator.

I suspect the human body would make a terrible radiator, but it could be a fun way to torture your employees. (Tell them it's a private spa day with a personal sauna.)

Turn the fan fiction from my signature into a real video.

Hey i think a lot of people are really interested in passive cooling. If you have 7,300 $ that are burning a hole in your pocket (or if you can get a sample) it would be really nice to do a video about this thing : https://www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/forget-water-cooling-check-out-this-7300-passive-cpu-cooler

How about this, with a decent laptop create a powerfull graphics gaming setup using an external graphics card setup with off the shelf products, and with a budget that would be cheaper than a high end gaming machine.

The idea would be for someone who want an nice and light laptop to bring with, but when you are home you can game with wild graphics.

As a headphone enthusiast, I'd really like to see a vid doing a round up of the great $200 or less headphones out there.   As opposed to doing absurdly expensive stuff or cheap junk.  You could collab with DMS again or a few other youtubers.  You'd be surprised just at just how many great affordable options there are today

Video on determining system power draw and selecting a proper PSU.  With the 3080 coming out and Nvidia recommending a 750 W PSU, a lot of people with 650 W PSUs are wondering if we can get away with it.  Most of the forum posts on the topic seem to be split down the middle on whether it will be ok or not.

Agree, I don't think it's possible. But I'd like to see LTT try.

A look back at the short lived "HDMI Input" on laptops like the Alienware M17x R3. I still have one and use it when i need an extra screen for an Xbox or if need to test if a screen has crapped itself. Personally i really liked this feature and was a bit disappointed when the stopped having it on there laptops. Considering how good laptop screens are now days (high refresh rate IPS etc) it's a real shame you cant buy a laptop with HDMI in. Especially with the next gen consoles coming out. Yes i know you can stream it etc but still i much preferred having the HDMI in. 

HI, I was really looking forward to LTT's 3080 review to get more info on Nvidia's implementation of HDMI 2.1 on it's 30 Series cards. A Reddit Post by Nvidia says that 30 Series' HDMI 2.1 is full 48 Gbps, means it can do full 4K 120Hz 4:4:4 12-bit. Now what remains to be known is IF Nvidia implemented the full specs of HDMI 2.1 or not, including VRR (in addition to their proprietary G-Sync), ALLM, QFT & QMS etc. 

Maybe LTT, Linus or Anthony can test the 3080 on their LG C9 and check the new HDMI 2.1 features. BTW LG downgraded their HDMI to 40 Gbps on 2020 CX as compared to the 2019 C9's HDMI being 48 Gbps. While it's a seperate story that LG left out this "downgrade" detail and the CX owners were outraged, but maybe 3080 + C9 can make a good informational video. Although, some C9 owners have reported on Reddit of screen flickering while running games on 3080 at 4K120hz on HDMI 2.1 and might need a Driver update from Nvidia. 

The 2019 C9 has full 48Gbps ports capable of 4K 120Hz 4:4:4 12-bit.

The 2020 CX only has 40Gbps ports capable of 4K 120Hz 4:4:4 10-bit.

oh and the upcoming Xbox Series X also has 40Gbps port.

I think you could do a very interesting and educational video about pfSense. It's a free open source FreeBSD based firewall/router operating system which can be installed on any computer just like a Linux distro or something. Pair that with a two-slot or bigger Intel network card and you have an incredibly awesome enterprise-grade router. Best of all it requires practically no configuration at all to work just like any normal consumer router, it has everything set ready. Your PiHole video was already good content, but this thing has a much more powerful adblocker. I think many people would be interested in the VPN capabilities too. You can very easily setup a VPN client so that your VPN affects all devices on your network, or even better you can create your own VPN server and connect to it for example from a free WiFi and have a secure network connection and access to your NAS. etc. You can also do interesting stuff like setup a HTTP cache for Steam downloads. 

One bad thing about pfSense is that it has basically no support for internal WiFi cards. This means you have to use an external access point for WiFi networks.

I'm new at the whole forum vibe. Surrounding all the hype of the Nvidea 3000 series cards. If Linus can get his hands on the 3090 since it supports sli to build a new compensator, that would be cool or do you guys think their waiting for a Zen 3 "Threadripper". Excuse my grammer.

Hiya!

With the rising demand of computer builds and recent interest in items like the RTX 3080, it got me thinking about a thematic idea for your videos. Because there are some likely first time pc builders with this recent surge, it would be neat if there was an instructional video guide for beginners. Admittedly, I would be one of those people. My initial thinking would be a format akin to an infomercial where there is the one experienced builder, alongside a newbie processing how to build for the first time. A lot of tech videos are mid to high level thinking, whereas these would be more digestible starting points in the tech space, going over the basics and fundamentals of a build,  for example. LMG puts a lot of effort and quality into the videos, so I know this would be easily accomplished. I would love to learn the basics in this format, that would allow me to better understand the higher level videos without one feeling like they're in the weeds. It would also allow a viewer to feel a sense of accomplishment and the feeling of growing with the channel, likely leading to increased viewership and (LTT store purchases). Thanks!

1 hour ago, PeAsOuP126 said:

Because there are some likely first time pc builders with this recent surge, it would be neat if there was an instructional video guide for beginners.

They made a full build livestream just a month or 2 ago.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 8/16/2020 at 10:48 PM, taku1101 said:

Turns out there is a thread for that huh... (sorry colton for that DM...)

Anyways, could you guys make a full review on the Logitech G X Herman Miller Embody Gaming Chair and have Taran as a second host (and actually have him try the chair for a few days) ?

I'm highly interested in said chair, but would also like to also hear from someone who's struggling with ergonomics like Taran, especially because you guys seem to have missed a paddle on the left hand side that adjusts the tension when you lean back.

Other than that, great video; hoping for a follow up.

Link to the ShortCircuit Video for the uninitiated

So I bought the Chair anyways (The regular embody - not the logitech one) and at least for me that chair does wonders.

Ofc it doesn't just fix every problem, but at least my constant back pain is pretty much solved. The feature they call "backfit technology" turns out to be way more important than I initially thought as it can essentially changes the backrest between flat and curved.

I probably could've solved my problem with a cheaper chair ... but whatever, I'm quite happy

On 3/21/2019 at 5:16 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

saw the water cooling chair idea, 

I think it is awesome, but how about something like an air cooled chair. 

might be worth something... pardon the self-plug, just think its a "more functional" idea... (Fans not included) 

How about a video on wireless streaming systems like;

Nyrius Aries Pro+ Wireless HDMI Video Transmitter & Receiver to Stream 1080p Video

or any other similar

Isn't the futur wireless?

Thanks

On 3/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hello Linus and the media group team, firstly I'd like to say thank you for all your hard work. The videos you make are inspiring to me. The reason for my message is, I would like to see a redo of a video you done 5 years ago with ncix. It was the video that questioned whether or not you should turn off your computer or not. I would like to know do you still stand by what you said in that video even after 5 years and with modern technology. There are so many conflicting answers and wanted to know the facts.
Kind regards,
James

How about a video to help someone pick out the best sized radiator for liquid cooling a CPU?

Im looking into upgrading my own CPU's cooling to liquid but I am on a budget and trying to figure out If it's really worth saving up for a 360mm raditor or if I'm better off just sticking with a 120mm or maybe even somewhere in between. I have the Conger Panzer Max as My tower so i choose between many different sizes of radiators to put in various locations so im wondering if bigger really does mean it's better.Screenshot_20200922-223430_Firefox.thumb.jpg.01892767c6a8baf0c48c23c06c201f94.jpg