Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
5 hours ago, mariushm said:

anyway, in general "gaming" tag is just marketing, a board is not better just because it says gaming on it.

I know, and that's exactly my point: how much of the price is marketing, different features and basic stuff (like robustness of the onboard power supply chain etc.) Maybe worth an episode in the "Sh!t manufacturers say" series.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Well, look at the ports, features, layout, onboard routing, power supply performance... those are usually what define how interesting a board is and also often its price, and what you should choose a board for.

It happens that the most fully featured boards are usually the ones branded as "gaming" even if the features don't necessarily have much or anything to do with gaming specifically, simply becasue since the typical "gamer" who wants "the best stuff" without knowing anything (or their parents for that matter, but that's more about prebuilts with lots of flashy lights) will then be attracted to buy a more expensive board with a bunch of features I actually need.

I'm not a "gamer", but it happens that the boards that have the feature I want are prety much always labelled as "gaming". Meh, who cares.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Cheap gaming chair roundup similar to the cheap keyboard/headset/mice series?

You should review this program serviio. https://www.serviio.org/ 

this program is amazing it's way better then plex. serviio "Serviio is a free media server. It allows you to stream your media files (music, video or images) to renderer devices (e.g. a TV set, Bluray player, games console or mobile phone) on your connected home network."  

Try the program you will not disappointed 

Check out Tilt5.com awesome new AR system coming out this year.

It will be the Wii of it's time.

I'm on the kickstarter and have talked to developers about capabilities. Can also be used as a pc monitor.

Like LTT to do a segment on it.

A~

1 hour ago, avatar360 said:

I'm on the kickstarter and have talked to developers about capabilities. Can also be used as a pc monitor.

A~

Merged to official video suggestions thread. Though if you know LTT at all, you should already know that they don't do crowdfunded stuff until they are actually released or in production.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, avatar360 said:

A~

I really like the look of this. I hope it works as it should and is a success. 

I suffer terribly from motion sickness, so VR is out for me. This looks like a good compromise and shouldn't be anywhere near as bad. And since Microsoft seem to have given up on a consumer version of the Hololens this may fill that gap. 

I would love to see a video on making a custom Windows image that strips out clutter apps and maybe adds some in for the purposes of deployment.

Unicorn Cooling

Watched the “SILENT 24-core Gaming PC From China - Turemetal UP10” video and it reminded me of some of the extreme ideas that have been recycled over the years on forums. Which could be called Unicorn Cooling, types of cooling ideas which are talked about but never done, or prototypes have existed but never made it to being a commercial product. I was thinking a couple of videos exploring extreme “Unicorn Cooling” concepts would make great content. Some ideas:

A video on phase-change vaporisation cooling.

Choice would have to be made about going with the easy way (if you can get the materials and expensive fluid) or harder way (comparably very cheap fluid but expensive or custom build items).

Both fluids are low toxic and non-flammable.

I recommend going with a loop lay out (think solid pipe water cooling layout without a pump or res) rather than the single vapour/condensate return pipe which seems to be the default for commercial prototypes. It is not really worth debating the merits of single pipe vs loop layouts as both have +vs and –vs; the main one for single pipe is more volume efficient (which = $ in commercial production), whereas for the loop it is less likely to suffer from the situation where vapour blocks the returning condensate, leading to a situation where the hot area boils away all of the liquid available at the hot site.

Additional: Just found the "CPU Cooling with BOILING LIQUID" video, managed to miss it when it originally went up. Interesting they went with a loop system. There are some problems with that cooler and the way it was used in the video that another video may address and show the potential of phase-change vaporisation cooling. Firstly, with those flexible pipes would be a detriment to performance (they need to limit expansion/contraction as much as possible). Secondly orientation matters, not just the CPU block but the pipes and the radiator as well. Ideally to operate efficiently the radiator needed to be more vertical with the pipe coming from the top of the CPU entering the radiator above the height of the pipe that will return the liquid to the bottom of the CPU.

A video on liquid metal (Galinstan) cooling.

Liquid metal cooling crops up on extreme cooling forums all over the place, find a computer forum with an extreme cooling section and there is bound to be a post about liquid metal somewhere in the history. The main block to people being successful with this cooling method seems to be a persistence to hang onto water cooling concepts as well using water cooling parts such as the pumps and radiators.

Basically trying to move Galinstan with the traditional centrifugal (impeller) type pump used by water cooling is inefficient, where as a positive-displacement pump is many times more suitable. One type of suitable positive-displacement pump has come down in price dramatically in the past decade thanks to mass manufacture.

By water cooling concepts I was partly referring to the heat pathway, which typically is CPU -> CPU lid (heat spreader) -> TIM -> Waterblock -> Water -> Radiator -> Air.

Thanks to the properties of Galinstan if kept at a reasonable temperature (below 150oC) there is near to no evaporation, meaning it could be directly air cooled (would have to be in an appropriate designed apparatus with very filtered air, not a puddle in a container next to the PC with a fan poking at it). Also Galinstan compatible radiators of the type used in water cooling typically are expensive or a custom build. Ideally the amount of Galinstan other metal interface without the surface being tinned would need to be as limited as possible, which is fine for the CPU block as it can be tinned but for something like a copper radiator as it is impossible to properly tin the inside.    

Cutting the radiator out of the loop would be ideal; this is where direct air cooling of the Galinstan is promising. However too many people the idea of having a large amount of Galinstan not in a sealed system sitting next to an expensive box of electronics would seem to be crazy and begging for trouble. One solution to this would be to make a sealed air loop for cooling the Galinstan, such as a fan in a duct blows through a repurposed cast iron household radiator, in to another duct, through the Galinstan heat exchanger and back into the fan duct.

At this point some people will say that this is also crazy as it is adding extra steps to the heat pathway (Galinstan - > Air loop -> radiator -> Air), air is a rather bad heat carrier, and the amount of space required is huge. A closed air loop is indeed not the best solution, liquid cooling (note, not water cooling, there are problems with prolonged water Galinstan contact) is a better solution (Galinstan - > Liquid -> Radiator -> Air). The main aim of cooling is to get as much heat away from the CPU as possible, Galinstan is an excellent heat transfer medium, and once the heat is away from the CPU in whatever carrying medium it matters zero how many steps or how efficient the carrier is as long as it does not bottle neck the heat transfer.

Also if there is a concern on how much it is going to cost to obtain the required Galinstan the cheapest method is to buy the gallium, tin, and indium individually and make it. As for what to do at the end of filming, sell it as (at above cost) is or in small amounts as liquid TIM (at a huge amount above cost). The prices on places like ebay for Galinstan can be many times higher than for the individual metals, and the prices for unbranded liquid metal TIM is even higher than Galinstan.

Edited by cobalt77
Formatting

What's up community. First I want to say I'm new to the form. So let me get started recently I was on the menu for assassin's Creed odyssey and there's a pretty hard core benchmark in it. I would love to see it be used on a video. Something with this benchmark makes my cpu and GPU work pretty hard. Even with my ryzen 5 1600 and 1060ti. So I would love to see what it does with a Newer build. Also I would love to see more sleeper builds using not old PC's but with more old gaming consoles. It would be interesting to see how different builds would be

40 minutes ago, yoyDIY said:

NEW VR HEADSET ON THE MARKET

Not supposed to be "on the market" before the summer. And the Oculus Quest is supposed to get passthrough AR by then for a third of the price.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I'm seeing articles on the new Seasonic SSR-750FA Connect PSU and would love to see a review or system build with this "remote" modular PSU.  The concept is solid especially in the right case.  

You might want to do this under your Tech Quickies, but I would more appreciate the full treatment because this is an important subject for the consumer, especially the PC builder --

Explain what is "proprietary hardware."  Name some of the companies that use it.  Give us examples of proprietary hardware.  Explain its benefits and disadvantages first to the computer manufacturer, and then to the end user.

Challenge episode (Basis for Scrapyard Wars?) --

Take one of the old vintage, heavy solid steel, full tower AT-form factor computer cases from 1990s that were designed to be sealed and keep dust out, and make it a viable case for the modern CPU and motherboard that requires extensive cooling.

Example --

Vintage AT Tower Computer Case Enclosure Build PC White Pentium 386 486 960d NEWPicture 2 of 4Picture 3 of 4

"Dream a Little Dream"

Your fans know you are bound by NDAs in a lot of cases, but that does not stop you or us from dreaming.  What does the future of technology hold?  What might be around the corner and what might be way beyond the horizon?

Explain, and then demonstrate the differences between headers on the motherboard.  In particular the two-pin, three-pin, and four pin headers which can be interchangeable.

An updated vid on ram? How to install, what it all means, what set ups are good for gaming vs work and such.

Also motherboards. Would be nice to learn what makes a good mother baord and how to choose it.

One more. Sound cards?

Im trying to cut the cord and have been fooling with different setups, firestick, shield even a OTA TIVO, but Im clueless about setting up a Plex server. and tying in other devices.

Can you upgrade your VRAM?

Heres the idea: Take an old video card like a GTX 550ti since there are multiple models with varying capacities of VRAM and solder on the additional GDDR5 chips. (maybe using Louis Rossmann's SRT BGA rework machine?) Flash updated bios and viola!

Not sure if it'll work on a newer card like GTX 1060 since the GPU silicon itself is different for the 6GB and 3GB versions.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

Hdplex cases and power systems

After watching your 32 core fan less case build. I thought of my case i have been using for the last 8 years. http://www.hdplex.com/ i was told of this company from some of my audio engineer friends who need truly silent systems in the audio booths and testing chambers. (well not in the actual chamber) While i admit this is not a 32 core system with a 2070 for my home theater setup in my apartment with my sonos sound system having no fan noise and no moving parts for my home theater pc is wonderful. You are correct in how anticlimactic turning the system on can be the only sound is the click of the button. I would HIGHLY recommend LTT to consider looking at this case family i have nothing but great things to say about it and i think it would interesting to some viewers for the case size in the home theater market. Also since my case is a 1U case is easy fitting on my entertainment shelf and i bought the largest case they made at the time. for reference i have a old I3-4340 running in it with only using the integrated GPU manual says each side can dissipate 150w tdp i believe. I think the team at LTT would enjoy the technology even if a video was never made of a build. I have yet to see a mainstream youtube channel look at these cases since they are sold more of an audio professional tech then anything else.

Been following this channel for years since nov 2008 and love the work everyone is part of on it.

Seth Schulte

Secret shopper for laptops, gaming laptop

secret shopper season 2 for desktop PC, gaming PC

see after more than 1 year after secret shoper if there's any improvements and recomendations to buy a prebuilt for those who doesn't know a thing or two about building a PC

Vintage hardware series.

Basically source some really ancient hardware (15+ years old) and see how far can you take it.
For example, how far is it possible to take a 486? Can it run basic stuff on Windows XP? Or at least Windows 98? The original Pentium? Athlon 64? AMD K6?

Could do something similar with GPUs too. What's the most recent GeForce 8800 GTX can run? Just an idea to think about.