Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
On 1/27/2020 at 9:11 PM, akio123008 said:

I believe I saw some other video on youtube doing this. Perhaps Linus decided not to do it because it's already been done.

Edit: I found it and it turns out it's actually from 2 years ago;

I am a big fan of LGR but are you sure Linus actually sent it. Maybe Perifractic sent it as I know from his small parts in the 8 bit guy.

Idea for manufacturers: How about a wallet-style phone case that holds two phones?

Everyone wants a folding phone these days, but current tech has serious limitations: Cost, quality, dual-screen display software, and difficulty in folding sapphire glass for example.

If I had a case that allowed me to display two phones side-by-side, which could be folded for easy carry, then I would have most of the benefit of a folding phone, but at much lower total cost of ownership. Plus it would be useful more or less immediately.

I wouldn't even need two SIM cards. One phone could be used WiFi only; tethered to the primary phone if necessary.

This best fits the two-window use case, and is useless for the big-screen-pocket-tablet use case. Still, though, it would be functional enough that I would use it immediately. Bonus for users who already have a spare old phone.

A girl at my gym carries three phones and sets up an "environment" for the elliptical trainer. She uses e-book reader, music, a timer, and browsing or messaging simultaneously. Total display area is about like a tablet, but functionality is closer to a Windows laptop. All with minuscule carry size and long battery life.

It struck me as smarter than any techies that I know.

TRY TO COOL A PC WITH (wait for it) .......................... PEE!

Good god why did i say that
now its on twitter 

Edited by 123e443

So, I am really trying to collect the info I need for this project, and it has been elusive.  I want to build a server - I've built a few in the distant past - but this one is different.  I think it might be a cool multi-video project if done in phases.  And it would help me out (yes - I'm shameless).  Maybe even make the final plans available in the shop for a fee.  After I get a free copy of course - for the idea (did I mention I am shameless?).  What I would like.

A server "system".

Raspberry Pi based NAS (RAID 1) that is a media server (music and video) which can also act as an automated backup, Pi Hole, and home security system.

Other "rules"

<$400 (excluding drives and any cameras, and redundant power solution (but not the primary power supply)).

Can have more then 1 Pi -including Zero's - but must be (generally) manageable as a single system.

Has to use a Pi 4 B as part of it.

Has to appear professionally built (yeah - no hot glue or tape)

Needs to be in a single box (or possibly 2)

Must stream video to at least one TV (HDMI is OK is the rest of it is otherwise wireless - Or is can have Ethernet to the network if the rest is wireless).

Redundant power or at least a backup power source (APC).

Ability to be remotely backed up (think Carbonite or similar)

Doesn't have issues with Mac or PC.

Rack mount or HTPC case

Maximum Load requirements

Watch a movie seamlessly while another user is listening to music while keeping up with security duties and tracking blocks.  I realize that technically this may have to be more than one system - but all in one box.

Now, I know there will be folks around here that are not interested because this is not a game box  - it's not AMD or Intel - it's not what they think of as "big guns".  However, I do think it will get hits and have good residual hits if done in parts because I know I am not the only who wants to do this.."One Pi to Rule Them All" thing.  With all that brain power LTT has, I suspect this would be easy.  Done taking your time.

Though I do wonder if you all even read this stuff.

Did read, but it seems like a serious case of "using a Pi to use a Pi" and not becasue it's the right tool for the job.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

use a 3d scanner(not printer scanner you read that right) to make assets and then do a skyrim mod with those assets. specifically i want LTT merch like the underwear and some fun weapon like a minecraft sword and linus. their is plenty of skyrim modding documentation and literally millions of modders. a lot of the tech used could also be used to turn other real objects into game assets (game industry much big such wow) and the skyrim linus wearing socks and sandles in his ltt underwear fighting a bear with a minecraft pick axe is top tier meme material. i very much look forward to someone modding skyrim and having linus play as himself wearing ltt merch and running into all sorts of memes. 

Few video ideas for ya...

1. How about put a waterblock on the backside of a Cpu or Gpu and sandwich the chip. You can't cool somthing from one side efficiently.

2.how about old school cpu pin mods. Maybe the same can be done with the new cpu's 

3. Make a liquid cooled laptop cooling pad. Use an AIO. Put block on springs with the block facing upwards. Put  20x20mm copper shims on laptop heat pipes. cut hole in bottom of laptop  for shims to protrude past bottom set laptop on block 

I thought it would be a good idea to bring this to your attention. There is a widespread issue with the new 2019 16" MacBook Pro laptops. 

When an external display is connected the laptops get very hot. There is an Apple forum of about 52 pages (as of sending this) of users with the same exact issue. When I contacted Apple they said that it is normal. I've never had a laptop get hot because a single monitor is plugged into it. 

It seems that the issue is with the dGPU. As soon as an external monitor is plugged in, the MacBook switches to the dGPU and the thing gets hot to the touch. This can't be good for the longevity of the machine. Most users need to plug their laptops into a dock with external monitors, so this is a big issue. 

Here is the link to the Apple forum: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250878229?answerId=252122766022&page=1

Can you please look into making a video about this? It seems like Apple want to sweep this under the rug. 

Thanks and I love your channel! 

External monitors usually connect to the dGPU on laptops that have one indeed, dGPU draws more power and heats more, thus when they run the laptop is warmer. Nothing unusual to see here...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

I've found it hard to find information about mobile phone security. Especially understanding a reasonable level of foil hatting for a consumer or entrepreneur who isn't dealing with major classified materials on daily basis.

So far my search has led me to buy Bittium Tough Mobile 2 phone, but I'm quite sure that is an over kill solution. 

Can you guys enlighten the likes of me with a proper information dump on your channel? 

There have been a few videos on how 4k gaming just isn't there. I get why, basically takes a titan to run it at just 120 hertz. That said, I do think we will be getting there down the road, and I want to build a rig next year to run 4k at least for less intensive games as I do my gaming on my home tv (with gaming comp). Could you do a "what the future holds" kind of video? Build a 2 titan or 2 2080 super rig with beefy processor, 2 ssd in raid 0 and etc? Many 35 inch 4k tv's are claiming 120 hz so I'm sure you can find one as we will probably see larger models with 120hz next year since costco had dozens of smaller this year. Set up a couch at the right distance, get a tv with great contrast and 120hz. Use an impossible comp to say- "Hey in 2 years this will be awesome" or "hey, you know what most folks can't tell difference even with this between 1080 120hz and 4k 120hz. Thanks! P.S. it could also include a video with tips for the home comp gamer that uses their TV because they like triple A titles and play with sig others and kids as opposed to hardcore online competitive. The "super console" build. 

22 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Did read, but it seems like a serious case of "using a Pi to use a Pi" and not becasue it's the right tool for the job.

Thanks - Partially true - but mainly to be cheap.

EDIT:  Honestly - thanks for reading it - I feel I didn't waste my time and that LTTF is more than a cattle ranch.  The right tool for the job would be ~10K.  I was hoping for less than $1000.  But I get what you are saying.  I'll maybe document it myself - if I can figure it out.

Edited by Mantabase
Just making sure I didn't sound sarcastic.

What if Linus made the MOST CHEAPEST GAMEING COMPUTER EVER and can't. Use amazon of wish 

1 hour ago, Mantabase said:

The right tool for the job would be ~10K.  I was hoping for less than $1000. 

Why? Seems a mid end ITX build can do it all within your budget. But at least you've got SATA connections for your drives, a PCIe slot for expansions like a 10G NIC if you want that in the future, etc which Pis don't have.

F@H

GPD Win 2

Unboxing / Review of small touch screen monitors.

I recently purchase a 7" Touch Screen Monitor by EVICIV. It's advertised purpose is for small form computers like Pi's and Ardinos, but I was using it as a very secondary monitor with touch support (my particular application is the running and android emulator on my PC).

So far I'm fairly impressed with it's performance and the suite of wires included with it is very nice. Both of these are particularly impressive to me for the very reasonable $80 price tag. It does have a very competitor at a $63 price point, the competitor comes with a nice looking frame, but less wires and no touch pen.

A couple things I've noted while using it:

• The instructions say you need to use both USB supports when connected to a PC (one is for power and the other touch data), but I am getting enough power to the device with just using the data port. I would assume on something as small as a Pi, you would not receive enough power, though.
  • Obviously color accuracy isn't great on it.
  • Fits below my main monitor very nicely.
  • Angle of provided stand and placement on HDMI port don't allow for clearance of the right angle HDMI adapter.
  • For usability, I agree with running it at the recommended 1024x600 resolution, rather than the full 1920x1080 since windows ends up very very small at that high of a resolution.
  • I've never set up a touch display, so idk if it's a windows issue or an issue with the monitor, but initially windows assigned the touch to my main display.

EVICIV monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L6WT77H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The competitor: 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QLMBGZC/ref=psdc_1292115011_t1_B07L6WT77H

21 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Why? Seems a mid end ITX build can do it all within your budget. But at least you've got SATA connections for your drives, a PCIe slot for expansions like a 10G NIC if you want that in the future, etc which Pis don't have.

A conversation for a different thread.  I don't want to clutter this one more.  But I will think on what you said - it is not how I have approached servers before (but neither are Pi's).

EDIT

Edited by Mantabase
Added link.

A video or techquicky on signed and paired certificates or crypto. Similar to the root certificate systems:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/02/13/iana_dnssec_ksk_delay/

Some sort of re-enactment might be fun. With staff/presenters going around with a USB key stick getting the code/keys downloaded and signed and locked in a safe so no one can "access" the data without the public key, while keeping the private signing key safe. "How encryption on the net really works" kinda idea but a I guess it can be even more clickbaity?

id like to see this bench in all its glory,may give peeps incentives to buy 3rd gen ryzen lol anyways i would like to see a 3960x on a gigabyte trx40 aorus extreme and with a 5700xt,and 2 1tb sebrant or any other pcie 4.0 nvme drive in raid,against a 9900k or even 10980xe with similar setup but of course with 2080ti.....all the usual tests but focus on Gaming!! lol....would love to see this,and i said 3960 instead of 3970 as it would be a more real world user experience cuz of the pricing more peeps would buy 3960 i think,i know im thinking of it myself....get to game with nice fps,than do some work right after on the same pc! no more having 2 or 3 pc's in my office how nice!!

2 minutes ago, xreaperx22 said:

3960x on a gigabyte trx40 aorus extreme and with a 5700xt,and 2 1tb sebrant or any other pcie 4.0 nvme drive in raid

9900k or even 10980xe with similar setup but of course with 2080ti

all the usual tests but focus on Gaming!! lol....

??? Why??

When you compare things, you only change one thing out to see the differences. These are systems with vastly different workcases.

Plus the 2080 Ti is a lot better than the 5700XT in gaming, but also in most other workcases.

9900K is better in gaming than all, 3960X has good price to core amount and the 10980 XE is a much higher core count chip..

What would a comparison between these do good?

P.S. 'Feature suggestions'  is for suggestions to the forum. You were probably looking for this thread:

(which this will probably get merged into)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

15 minutes ago, Lucek said:

Who'd like to see Linus read old cringe computer stuff.

Things like Is my son a hacker from 2001?

Your thread has been merged to official video suggestion thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

With wireless charging, it used to be significantly less efficient than a cable. That problem with efficiency has faded as wireless charging can be nearly as efficient as charging with a cable.

So question, how efficient is the reverse charging in new Samsung phones. As well, could we test it to see how efficiently you could transfer power from one phone to another.

If you used a 100% 4000mah Samsung S20 to charge another device with a 2000 or 3000mah. Would you be able to get 50% of the 2000mah device with only using 25% of the S20's battery? Or more like 40 or 50% of the S20's battery.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:16 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

this idea is stuck in my head water cooling Ram I understand that air cooling sometimes it is bitter than water but I'm interested in overclocking Ram yes I know that a ram doesn't produce heat that much I just wanna see the result I only found two water cooling

the first one is sketchy :

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=ram+water+cooling&_sacat=0

second one :

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-VB1430BWS-Soprano-Mid-Tower-Chassis/dp/B00139B3S0/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=water+cooling+ram&qid=1581673326&sr=8-2

is there is any difference  

edit: 2 years left for techquickie to become 10 years old

Edited by Lordofdarkness
forgot to add something

I think an interesting LTT video (or possibly a Scrapyard Wars series) would be to build a modern PC driven Jukebox.

Two key feature of the Jukebox...

• The key part would be elaborate (over-the-top) RGB affects that sync with the music.
  • The Jukebox would need speakers that can handle both a large party setting, or a smaller setting where the music is just background.

Other considerations...

• The PC itself would NOT need to be very powerful.
  • The PC could have local stash of .mp3 files, plus connect to several streaming music services.