Resizable BAR (Smart Access Memory) Now Available on Nvidia RTX 3000 Series GPUs

Random_Person1234

Summary

Resizable BAR (Smart Access Memory) has been released on all RTX 3000 Ampere GPUs. Benchmarks released by Nvidia show about a 6-12% performance increase in select games. To enable, you must install driver version 465.89 and install the new VBIOS if you have a card that is not the RTX 3060. You must also make sure your CPU and motherboard are compatible, and if the motherboard is compatible, it has a BIOS that supports Resizable BAR.

Quotes

Spoiler

geforce-rtx-3080-resizable-bar-performance-improvements.png

Spoiler

image.png.a563448e5f95c7e3508af69bcc029eae.png

Spoiler

image.png.ea1cbd8028689ab33e8d895d884e294e.png

To successfully activate Resizable BAR on a desktop PC, please follow these steps in order, referring to the expanded installation instructions below:

1. Confirm you have a compatible CPU & CPU chipset (see list below)

2. Confirm you have a compatible motherboard (see list below)

3. Update your motherboard SBIOS, if required, by installing an update from the manufacturer. Then enable Resizable BAR support in your motherboard’s BIOS interface

4. Update to the latest GeForce Game Ready Driver (version 465.89 WHQL at the time of writing, released March 30th, 2021), or a later version

5. If you have a GeForce RTX 3060, you’re good to go. If you have a GeForce RTX 3060 Ti, 3070, 3080, or 3090, then you may require an updated VBIOS

6. If you have a Founders Edition graphics card from NVIDIA, get your VBIOS update tool directly from our website. If you have a custom partner card, get the update tool from their site (see list below)

7. Verify Resizable BAR is enabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel (see instructions below)

To update VBIOS:

My thoughts

I'm glad to see Nvidia enable this feature, although I am disappointed that Zen 2 is not supported.

Sources

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/

Edit: If you are having problems enabling Resizable BAR like @porina and I were having, try enabling 4G decoding.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

I almost read Smart Ass Memory, or I already did... RIP me.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

It was said Palit is suppose to release the BIOS soon, but it's still not there. Hm. I want to try it. I have everything needed, just not the BIOS.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

It was said Palit is suppose to release the BIOS soon, but it's still not there. Hm. I want to try it. I have everything needed, just not the BIOS.

https://www.palit.com/palit/download.php?pc_cate=vga&pc=343&id=3739&lang=en

Is it the BIOS update utility under tool? Although it's from December.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

19 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

install the new VBIOS

image.png.781f2c754bdb09b4199e0edc2a43c412.png

I'll let people do it first

1) to check if it bricks their cards

2) to see if there's mining limiter

Don't think zen 2 supports it yet anyways

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

9 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Don't think zen 2 supports it yet anyways

It does. BIOS updates for boards have been pushed out.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

It does. BIOS updates for boards have been pushed out.

According to Nvidia, Resizable BAR is only available on Zen 3, Intel 10th Gen, and Intel 11th Gen.

15 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

According to Nvidia, Resizable BAR is only available on Zen 3, Intel 10th Gen, and Intel 11th Gen.

Their implementation has likely locked out Zen 2. Being nvidia it doesn't surprise me at all. On the flip side some users claim it works though.

Zen 2 for sure does support Resizable-BAR though. The BIOS updates have been out for the past fortnight or so.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

14 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

Pssst - I've got it enabled on a 9th Gen 9900k with a Z370 motherboard & RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra (both EVGA).

Cool, Palit confirmed on Twitter that their cards are getting BIOS updates on 2021-03-31. Can't wait.

GPU: check

Mobo: check

CPU: check

Driver: check

VBIOS: nope. Guess I have to wait on MSI for this part.

Games: none that I play, so I wont be missing it anyway!

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

9 minutes ago, porina said:

That's strange. I can see an option to download it for my 3070 Ventus 3x OC through Dragon Center.

52 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

That's strange. I can see an option to download it for my 3070 Ventus 3x OC through Dragon Center.

I have the 3070 Trio X. Tried the liveupdate utility which returned nothing. Following your reply I replaced it with Dragon Center, and a normal scan on that also found nothing. It did offer an update after doing an Advanced Scan. I said yes to everything and... still not working. The BIOS version reported by GPU-Z is unchanged between the two versions, but the MSI reported version went from 146 to 147. I checked mobo bios says it supports re-bar and I didn't see any manual option in it to turn it on or off. Driver is latest one released today. At that point, I'm going back to gaming and might look at this again another time.

Edit: I did a quick search and it turns out for my mobo bios you have to first turn on above 4G decoding for the re-bar setting to be shown. Then switch it over from disabled to auto. Reboot, and now the driver reports it is working. Hope that helps in case anyone else runs into the same.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I think (according to benchmarks I saw) the performance difference between an RTX 3080 and a 3090 was around 8% average.

According to Nvidia's resizable BAR benchmark graph, the RTX 3080 gets an average performance increase of 8.72% across the benchmarked games. That means that, across the benchmarked games, an RTX 3080 is now basically as powerful as an RTX 3090 was before this update.

An $850+ GPU just got the performance of a $1700+ GPU, in some games.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 hours ago, Blai5e said:

Pssst - I've got it enabled on a 9th Gen 9900k with a Z370 motherboard & RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra (both EVGA).

And your experience was? 🙅‍♂️

3 hours ago, porina said:

I have the 3070 Trio X. Tried the liveupdate utility which returned nothing. Following your reply I replaced it with Dragon Center, and a normal scan on that also found nothing. It did offer an update after doing an Advanced Scan. I said yes to everything and... still not working. The BIOS version reported by GPU-Z is unchanged between the two versions, but the MSI reported version went from 146 to 147. I checked mobo bios says it supports re-bar and I didn't see any manual option in it to turn it on or off. Driver is latest one released today. At that point, I'm going back to gaming and might look at this again another time.

Edit: I did a quick search and it turns out for my mobo bios you have to first turn on above 4G decoding for the re-bar setting to be shown. Then switch it over from disabled to auto. Reboot, and now the driver reports it is working. Hope that helps in case anyone else runs into the same.

Thank you!

I was having the same problems as you, but then saw that 4G decoding was off. I turned it on, and Resizable BAR is now working on my system. I also did a Google search and saw that you may want to disable CSM, which I did.

4 hours ago, porina said:

GPU: check

Mobo: check

CPU: check

Driver: check

Games: none that I play, so I wont be missing it anyway!

The only game in which I noticed a substantial difference was Assassin's Creed Valhalla - enabling SAM on my RX 6900 XT added around 15 FPS, going from 100 FPS to 115 FPS maxed out at 1440p.

Besides that nothing noticeable. I'm going to test if SAM works on PCIE 3.0 on AMD soon, to see if it's possible to use it with a gen 3 vertical GPU mount that I have. I know it should work on Nvidia with gen 3.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

As promised, Palit uploaded their BIOS today in the morning CET time. Installed and now I'm gonna play some Borderlands 3 that I was playing already. Lets see if I'll notice any difference.

This is great although I can't find what VBIOS my GPU is running so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to download F3 or F11... It says that you are only able to update to a VBIOS within the range F1-F9 or F10-F19 so depending on what VBIOS you have got, you need to download the right series of new VBIOS. Guess I will not be able to use SAM then, because I don't want to guess my VBIOS and potentially brick the card. 

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

Looks like the asus vbios update tool is borked, at least for me. Keeps saying the vbios is up to date when it's clearly not. Could just be me having this problem though.

Edit: Apparently you need Asus GPU Tweak installed in order to update... They might want to add that to their documentation.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

9 hours ago, Random_Person1234 said:

I was having the same problems as you, but then saw that 4G decoding was off. I turned it on, and Resizable BAR is now working on my system. I also did a Google search and saw that you may want to disable CSM, which I did.

In my case it was already disabled so no change was needed. 

9 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Besides that nothing noticeable. I'm going to test if SAM works on PCIE 3.0 on AMD soon, to see if it's possible to use it with a gen 3 vertical GPU mount that I have. I know it should work on Nvidia with gen 3.

Since I'm on Comet Lake, I'm running 3.0 with nv. Still debating getting a Rocket Lake once I sort some other things out.

image.png.6a5f95b379edbc0168bf532aaaa4607e.png

Is the "Yes" here 100% confirmation that I've set it up correctly?

Thanks.

I'm confused. Borderlands 3 runs like dog shit now. Intro videos/cutscenes are getting stuck more for some reason, entering maps now visibly loads washed out textures and replaces them with ultra ones which wasn't happening before, there are constant literal frame pauses when entering new areas that I haven't experienced for years of being on high end components. What the hell? Usually there is placebo perception things are running better, but here it's visibly worse and I have no clue how or why.

1 hour ago, Robioto said:

Is the "Yes" here 100% confirmation that I've set it up correctly?

Thanks.

Probably yes, but to be 100% sure I'd recommend you verify it using this short instruction:
"Go into device manager (run > devmgmt.msc), find your GPU under display adapters > Resources > Large Memory Range (something close to this effect) should be present. If it is, resize bar is operational."

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White