Resizable BAR (Smart Access Memory) Now Available on Nvidia RTX 3000 Series GPUs

Random_Person1234
9 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I'm confused. Borderlands 3 runs like dog shit now. Intro videos/cutscenes are getting stuck more for some reason, entering maps now visibly loads washed out textures and replaces them with ultra ones which wasn't happening before, there are constant literal frame pauses when entering new areas that I haven't experienced for years of being on high end components. What the hell? Usually there is placebo perception things are running better, but here it's visibly worse and I have no clue how or why.

Not the first person I've seen complain about worse performance.

I updated all my stuff and it's on, but I may just disable it until a new driver comes out.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

9 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Not the first person I've seen complain about worse performance.

I updated all my stuff and it's on, but I may just disable it until a new driver comes out.

I find it amusing that the driver is probably responsible for 90% of the performance increase. 

Resizable bar on server boards allocate resources to run Tesla cards.

The support was more likely added to desktop for miners in mind, not the gamers.

But NVidia, will definitely lean on advertising some bullshit. 

Almost every single time a driver update occurs (resizable bar excluded) there is generally a performance increase.

Are we getting shafted with some bullshit? Your desktop motherboards already have the resources to run gaming cards and drivers.

Why would a workstation/server feature help in any way? You can't run a Tesla on a desktop without resizable bar.

Risk flashing and bricking your Gpu for 10 fps? Yeah, maybe just wait for a new driver instead. Seems easier 🙂 

6 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I find it amusing that the driver is probably responsible for 90% of the performance increase. 

Resizable bar on server boards allocate resources to run Tesla cards.

The support was more likely added to desktop for miners in mind, not the gamers.

But NVidia, will definitely lean on advertising some bullshit. 

Almost every single time a driver update occurs (resizable bar excluded) there is generally a performance increase.

Are we getting shafted with some bullshit? Your desktop motherboards already have the resources to run gaming cards and drivers.

Why would a workstation/server feature help in any way? You can't run a Tesla on a desktop without resizable bar.

Risk flashing and bricking your Gpu for 10 fps? Yeah, maybe just wait for a new driver instead. Seems easier 🙂 

Well I have dual bios, so I didn't think the risk was that high.

Ultimately it's fine, though.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Just now, Mister Woof said:

Well I have dual bios, so I didn't think the risk was that high.

Ultimately it's fine, though.

I'm pretty experienced. I have a bricked HD 5670 sitting right here XD. 

It happens. 

I'd say out of 50 flashes or so, probably 2 have gone bad.

Now expand that number into the hundreds of thousands of people with the same probability..... 

(Not that this is an accurate representation, more of a generalization)

It's like the thread.... Are there aliens out there?? What are the odds??

Well if you have the accurate data, then you can come to a conclusion.

No, the 5670 isn't worth as much as your 3080. So IDC it's bricked. lol.

I look forward trying to help people recover the bios on their video card.

Step one, have another working card or iGPU to boot from.... lol. 

Oh snap. My 5600X doesn't have iGPU and I don't have a spare card.

Well then, you're F'ed. 😛 

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

I'm pretty experienced. I have a bricked HD 5670 sitting right here XD. 

It happens. 

I'd say out of 50 flashes or so, probably 2 have gone bad.

Now expand that number into the hundreds of thousands of people with the same probability..... 

(Not that this is an accurate representation, more of a generalization)

It's like the thread.... Are there aliens out there?? What are the odds??

Well if you have the accurate data, then you can come to a conclusion.

No, the 5670 isn't worth as much as your 3080. So IDC it's bricked. lol.

I look forward trying to help people recover the bios on their video card.

Step one, have another working card or iGPU to boot from.... lol. 

Oh snap. My 5600X doesn't have iGPU and I don't have a spare card.

Well then, you're F'ed. 😛 

Doesn't dual bios give you a backup though?

Doesn't dual bios give you a backup though?

Not everyone has a Gigabyte with dual bios. Does Palit have dual bios? Asus? MSI? ect ect.

Luckily, a lot of people don't have the motherboard to support this feature. That's actually a good thing.

Now you're taking armatures and having them flash the bios on the board and Gpu. Odds just doubled. 

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Luckily, a lot of people don't have the motherboard to support this feature. That's actually a good thing.

Now you're taking armatures and having them flash the bios on the board and Gpu. Odds just doubled. 

Same can be said about motherboards, and people have been updating them for years especially with Ryzen chips. And I'm not sure how many of them have dual bioses.

Granted they are a less expensive and more easily replaceable. 

Same can be said about motherboards, and people have been updating them for years especially with Ryzen chips. And I'm not sure how many of them have dual bioses.

That's a Gigabyte thing..... dual bios.

You'd be surprised the number of people that have never done a bios flash vs those that have.

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

Granted they are a less expensive and more easily replaceable. 

Also, there isn't a world shortage of motherboards right now.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

6 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You'd be surprised the number of people that have never done a bios flash vs those that have.

I'm not trying to downplay the risk - but a lot do have dual bios. My Sapphire Vega 64, XFX 5700XT, ASUS RX 580, and 3080 have it.

Of course the old rule of only update if you have to applies. A feature update I think is worth it if it improves performance. People regularly updated their motherboard BIOSes hoping for AGESA updates for RAM compatibility.

Ultimately it's up to the individual user to make that choice.

7 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I'm not trying to downplay the risk - but a lot do have dual bios. My Sapphire Vega 64, XFX 5700XT, ASUS RX 580, and 3080 have it.

Of course the old rule of only update if you have to applies. A feature update I think is worth it if it improves performance. People regularly updated their motherboard BIOSes hoping for AGESA updates for RAM compatibility.

Ultimately it's up to the individual user to make that choice.

I'm only curios why you picked the "risk" involved over the "probably BS feature" part of my original post to this thread..... lol.

Other than that, it's all good. Most people won't brick their cards, I'm aware of that.

Updating bios today is pretty stream lined compared to say a decade ago. Shmeh.

25 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Most AMD Reference cards have had dual bios for years now.

The Sapphire HD 4870 had it.  The 5870 had it.  The 6970, 7970, 290X, Vega 64...

11 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'm only curios why you picked the "risk" involved over the "probably BS feature" part of my original post to this thread..... lol.

Other than that, it's all good. Most people won't brick their cards, I'm aware of that.

Updating bios today is pretty stream lined compared to say a decade ago. Shmeh.

Because it didn't seem like BS from the information I saw - it seems like sometimes it helps and sometimes its worse, that instead of AMD's implementation of "always on", nvidia's was "it's on when we know it works".

"Probably BS feature" I think is overly critical of it.

5 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Because it didn't seem like BS from the information I saw - it seems like sometimes it helps and sometimes its worse, that instead of AMD's implementation of "always on", nvidia's was "it's on when we know it works".

"Probably BS feature" I think is overly critical of it.

OK - just how I angled it....

driver update boosts performance.

Oh you can enable resizable bar.

Never needed it before to increase performance.

Why the hype on it today.... for decreased performance or very little increased performance, both of which the driver set it's self can easily take care of???

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

OK - just how I angled it....

driver update boosts performance.

Oh you can enable resizable bar.

Never needed it before to increase performance.

Why the hype on it today.... for decreased performance or very little increased performance, both of which the driver set it's self can easily take care of???

There's any easy way to test this. Update the driver, enable REBAR, test. Disable REBAR, test again. Compare results. This would determine if its the driver or REBAR that increases performance. It seems people have already tested this on the 3060, and new videos are coming up about the 3080 and 3090. The implementation is new, so maybe it will take a few iterations to get right.

As far as why - It's a feature that was in the past probably considered not worth the effort, but since AMD pushed the implementation for desktop use, Nvidia felt they needed to have parity. 

Perhaps this is kind of like how AMD wanted to have ray tracing to match Nvidia, but instead of an actual useful gaming experience like the RTX cards get in CP2077, they get 25fps.

So for now, REBAR maybe helps maybe doesn't, but it's a feature that is now comparable to the competition. 

I mean to be clear, I risk thousands of dollars on overclocking all of my hardware for probably imperceptible gains.

I risked delidding my 8700k and using conductive TIM for a measly 100mhz gain.

I do it because I can. Everyone's got their comfort zones, though.

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

I mean to be clear, I risk thousands of dollars on overclocking all of my hardware for probably imperceptible gains.

I risked delidding my 8700k and using conductive TIM for a measly 100mhz gain.

I do it because I can. Everyone's got their comfort zones, though.

You and I are a small percentage of people that have de-lid a 8700K. 

It wasn't the speed I was looking for though, just the drop in temps mainly.

Well said above also. It's new, lots of testing and results. 

I will go as far to say it looks promising, but nothing jaw dropping or outstanding atm imo. 

Not like a 15c drop in temps from a de-lid. lol. My jaw hit the floor. 

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You and I are a small percentage of people that have de-lid a 8700K. 

It wasn't the speed I was looking for though, just the drop in temps mainly.

Well said above also. It's new, lots of testing and results. 

I will go as far to say it looks promising, but nothing jaw dropping or outstanding atm imo. 

Not like a 15c drop in temps from a de-lid. lol. My jaw hit the floor. 

I would think the majority of people who aren't in that same enthusiast group aren't really even aware this is a new feature. They'll plug their GPU in on day 1 and forget about it and won't even update their driver until a game tells them they have to.

Anecdotally, I just played some BL3 in DX12.

IDK if its better than before, but it wasn't stuttering.

1 hour ago, Dovaogedy said:

cannot figure out how to install this so screw it

What’s your specs?

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

Updating GPU BIOS (or any BIOS) is pretty much risky. Everything can go wrong at some point. Still, that doesn't mean it can't go right, can it? Actually, I found that with the technology we have, chances of things can go wrong (except for power outage) are very minimal.

So, when flashing the BIOS (especially GPU one), I'll likely to follow these steps:

1. Make sure your motherboard BIOS is stable or known to be stable.

2. Use a UPS (and preferably, a big UPS that has an output capability of your PSU as your GPU fan can go full throttle) in case if power failure.

3. Depending on the manufacturer, but most of the time, they have a Windows installer to flash GPU BIOS. Download the tool. If there's a DOS version, you can get that. Note: It is utterly important that you use the CORRECT GPU BIOS for your GPU card.

4. If you are using the tool to flash the GPU BIOS, make sure you close all application and disable your anti-virus if possible. If you are using DOS, be sure to follow the step given by your manufacturer. Print the step out if possible so you can refer to it.

5. Pray to your God so everything is working (well, I made this one up. This is purely optional, though).

*Note, if you have multi GPU card in your system (except the integrated GPU), detach all but one of them and flash the GPU BIOS.

Known possible risk:

1. Bricking of GPU. You can potentially turn your GPU into a brick or glorified paper weight (I do admit that I like to see people drooling all over when they see you put your bricked RTX3090 on top of a bunch of paper). Do this only when you are comfortable.

But the old saying is always right: If it ain't breaking, don't fix it.

Regards,

Chiyawa.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

It took literally one second to update my 3090.

I've never bricked a device by doing a firmware update. That includes dozens of motherboards and countless electronic devices of every imaginable type.

I don't know why people get so scared about it. Just use common sense and don't do it in the middle of a thunderstorm. And if you have spotty power you should have a UPS anyway.

Graphic cards can be blind flashed. Or if you have a spare backup graphic card which is good to have around anyways, you can flash secondary cards too, doesn't have to be active one. Unless it's bricked in a way you can't even feed it BIOS anymore. But that's usually not the case.