Resizable BAR (Smart Access Memory) Now Available on Nvidia RTX 3000 Series GPUs

Random_Person1234

And as expected, after turning ReBAR off, Borderlands 3 became butter smooth again. Framerate might be slightly lower as whole, but at least I don't get absolutely absurd lagging, stuttering and straight up pauses weirdness that almost drove me insane.

Now I wonder if Radeon RX6000 cards are experiencing the same issue or it's a GeForce only thing... Especially since Borderlands 3 is AMD's love affair...

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

And as expected, after turning ReBAR off, Borderlands 3 became butter smooth again. Framerate might be slightly lower as whole, but at least I don't get absolutely absurd lagging, stuttering and straight up pauses weirdness that almost drove me insane.

Now I wonder if Radeon RX6000 cards are experiencing the same issue or it's a GeForce only thing... Especially since Borderlands 3 is AMD's love affair...

In theory, there should be no adverse effects with ReBAR enabled. Probably a bug with the driver as I doubt the game engine would need to be optimized for this feature.

18 minutes ago, StDragon said:

In theory, there should be no adverse effects with ReBAR enabled. Probably a bug with the driver as I doubt the game engine would need to be optimized for this feature.

Yeah, it's really weird. It does feel faster with it, but it's a jittery stuttering mess. Even things like flipping through guns in vending machines feels like they are stuttering.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-pci-express-resizable-bar-performance-test/

TechPowerUp have tested it on/off. In short, there's the expected low single digit % improvement on average for the titles that benefit from it, and no difference for the non-whitelisted titles. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

It didn't occur to me, but ReShade might be the reason for my problems. Tough I don't know how, but I guess it's possible. I'll remove it and see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

nice cant wait to enable this for my 2070 super

oh no i forgot they dont care about the consumer so why make us happy with free performance for cards we do have 🙂 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

Apparently, someone uploaded the "vulkaninfo"-output to Sascha Willem's Website of GPU-Vulkan-Support... and I am super confused.

Without sizeable BAR, as expected (and only available since Vulkan 1.2), a RTX 3080 reports on vulkaninfo: 214MB of device-local, host-visible and the rest of its memory being device-local (without being host-visible). (The 3rd reported heap is the normal CPU-RAM)
It's about the same on a Radeon RX 6800 XT (but there, the full "memory mapped"-BAR of 256MB is host visible - Nvidia seems to need some of that area for driver-internals)

When activating ReBAR (or SAM as AMD names it) on a RX 6800 XT, the full 16 GB are reported being "host-visible" as one would expect. AMD just opens up its device memory to the host. How ReBAR is intended...

Now, the confusing part: When activating ReBAR on an RTX 3080, MORE than the available 10GB is reported as "device local and host visible". Coincidentally, it matches the CPU-RAM size...?

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 - Vulkan Hardware Database by Sascha Willems (gpuinfo.org) (without ReBAR) (3 heaps, as intended)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 - Vulkan Hardware Database by Sascha Willems (gpuinfo.org) (with ReBAR - GPU reports more than 10GB of Memory being "device-local") (3 heaps: 1 CPU, 1 GPU (host visible, waaay too big) and 1 GPU (not host-visible WHY?!)

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT - Vulkan Hardware Database by Sascha Willems (gpuinfo.org) (without ReBAR/SAM) (3 heaps1 CPU, 1 GPU[host-visible] 1 GPU [not host-visible])
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT - Vulkan Hardware Database by Sascha Willems (gpuinfo.org) (with ReBAR/SAM) (2 heaps: 1 CPU, 1 GPU [host-visible])

Has anyone a clue why this might be the case? I just see a possible segfault from this. My own 3080 (ordered on launch-day) did not arrive yet. So I cannot just write a program that fills up that advertised memory and look what happens. (And my trusty Vega 64 does not support it...)
From this chaos, I kinda see why Nvidia "whitelists" games... 

I expect them to still "lock down" the "open BAR memory mapping" thing, as they historically limited access to that area to Quadro and Tesla cards. 

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting, Borderlands 3 runs significantly better with ASUS's RAMCache III installed. Basically it's RAM caching software to speed up SSD/HDD access. Showing Borderlands 3 really does seem to do some weird stuff with storage subsystem for it to run like turd when ReBar is enabled.

10 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Interesting, Borderlands 3 runs significantly better with ASUS's RAMCache III installed.

Why not PrimoCache?

9 hours ago, StDragon said:

Why not PrimoCache?

I don't have the license at the moment as I gave it away to my cousin for the hybrid storage I set him up with. I do have RAMCache as I got it with my new mobo. It essentially does the same thing with less controls to fiddle with.