why did you just repost a 30 second version of an old video?

Lord Szechenyi

See the title "#Shorts".

This is a new feature, mainly intended for YouTube mobile (hence the vertically filmed video), similar to Instagram Stories (I think??).

A couple YouTubers have been making such videos, but I suppose 'sadly' it also shows up in the YouTube feed for non-mobile users.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It is called #Shorts, and has been a feature on Youtube for a couple of months. They must be less than 60 seconds, and idealy should be vertical for mobile users, but I have seen hundreds that are horizontal.

LTT already ran a test run on the TechLinked channel, and the comment section was not happy, but they are trying again on Channel Super Fun because they are going to have a better chance of attracting a new audience to that channel w/ that thumbnail than they do doing the same on their other channels. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

Yep, its the new Shorts feature 

As The Spiffing Brit explains in this video, it's currently a fantastic way to grow channels very quickly with a mostly new market of viewers

I may be mistaken but it must be tik tok that kicked this trend off once they noticed how such short vids can engage massive numbers of people? Now YT has its "shorts", FB has its "stories" and IG has its version too.

5 hours ago, minibois said:

similar to Instagram Stories (I think??).

This is more similar to TikTok, YouTube Stories are the Instagram equivalent. 

36 minutes ago, KatanaDV20 said:

I may be mistaken but it must be tik tok that kicked this trend off once they noticed how such short vids can engage massive numbers of people? Now YT has its "shorts", FB has its "stories" and IG has its version too.

Instagram's is called Reels

i do the writing of things hello | they/them

That #shorts video was pretty awful. I already hate shorts enough as it is, but if they're going to do it to feed the algorithm then at least make new content specifically meant for shorts. Don't just crop clips from an older landscape video as portrait and re-upload it.

Judging by the 25% dislike ratio I would say I wasn't the only one disappointed by this video.

They just posted another #shorts video that was just another awful crop of a video from years ago. I guess this means they're planning on doing this a lot more now.

I unsubscribed from channel super fun.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

it's even more infuriating the second time:

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, gloop said:

This is more similar to TikTok, YouTube Stories are the Instagram equivalent. 

Thanks, I am not really a user of either TikTok nor Instagram, so I was just trying to remember what I read on other #shorts videos 😅

I think all the #shorts content probably should be hidden from view on desktop platforms, plus it should easily link to the full video(s), otherwise it just seems like content that can be put on their YouTube Stories.

In my mind, the current #shorts format could work, but not like it is right now. What #shorts is probably going to be, is a way for YouTubers to quickly show what a certain video is about. It could be like titles or thumbnails are used now; or rather how an intro to a video is used now. A way to draw in viewers, but with #shorts there is a bit more info than a thumbnail/title and to hopefully compel the viewer to watch the full video.

We shall see though, if #shorts will get the development and changes it needs, or if YouTube just leaves it as-is with seemingly no change (like Premieres).

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

39 minutes ago, minibois said:

Thanks, I am not really a user of either TikTok nor Instagram, so I was just trying to remember what I read on other #shorts videos 😅

I think all the #shorts content probably should be hidden from view on desktop platforms, plus it should easily link to the full video(s), otherwise it just seems like content that can be put on their YouTube Stories.

In my mind, the current #shorts format could work, but not like it is right now. What #shorts is probably going to be, is a way for YouTubers to quickly show what a certain video is about. It could be like titles or thumbnails are used now; or rather how an intro to a video is used now. A way to draw in viewers, but with #shorts there is a bit more info than a thumbnail/title and to hopefully compel the viewer to watch the full video.

We shall see though, if #shorts will get the development and changes it needs, or if YouTube just leaves it as-is with seemingly no change (like Premieres).

I don't think being little preview/promotional clips for full length regular youtube videos is really what Youtube has in mind for #shorts. #Shorts are Youtube's answer to Tik Tok/vine/instagram stories/etc. They're short format videos short in portrait meant for casual viewing on phones. I've never used it, but I think the way it works is on mobile you can view a #Shorts category and it will just automatically play through an endless feed of whatever trending and recommended #shorts videos. It's basically Youtube but for people with even shorter attention spans and Youtube's way of clawing back some of the eyeballs that are on Tik Tok and maximising watch time on the platform.

The Spiffing Brit video linked in the thread earlier does a pretty good job of explaining what Shorts are, what content is successful as #shorts, and how it kinda breaks the youtube algorithm. If you haven't watched it I would recommend it, but watch on 2x speed as he does take a very long time to explain anything and he does tend to repeat himself quite a bit.

I think the mistake they're making with Channel Super Fun is instead of creating content specifically for #shorts, they're just trying to reuse old content and adapt it to work with #shorts.

Just hand Madison an iPhone and tell her to record a 30 second funny clip that fits the theme of Channel Super Fun. It'll be easier than having editors spend their time cropping and editing old videos, and at least it would be something new.

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

it's even more infuriating the second time:

Those are clips from a video from 2017! Re-uploading a 4 year old Channel Super Fun video. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.

That video is currently at a 40% dislike ratio. Yikes!

image.png.6ed8536369310f9cf52c94641025dadd.png

Let's just hope they realise that cropping old videos to make them in to shorts is not a good idea, otherwise we might end up with this...

image.png.db33ffdca47090bf9e1993edc056d103.png

(Oh no, I'm giving them ideas aren't I?)

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

28 minutes ago, Spotty said:

(Oh no, I'm giving them ideas aren't I?)

You sure as hell bloody did mate

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

Those are clips from a video from 2017! Re-uploading a 4 year old Channel Super Fun video. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I won't be mad if it's preview of upcoming stuff, but old stuff? c'mon

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

Let's just hope they realise that cropping old videos to make them in to shorts is not a good idea, otherwise we might end up with this...

damn i was ready to unsub lmao

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Winning move is to never have been subscribed to Channel Super Fun, clearly.

Anyone else would like to see LMG finally using those RED and Blackmagic camera's to do some real work? 8k portrait videos anyone?

/s

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 3/25/2021 at 6:11 PM, minibois said:

See the title "#Shorts".

This is a new feature, mainly intended for YouTube mobile (hence the vertically filmed video), similar to Instagram Stories (I think??).

A couple YouTubers have been making such videos, but I suppose 'sadly' it also shows up in the YouTube feed for non-mobile users.

oh, didn't know that, since i don't have any of the things you mentioned.

Also, this wasnt in my feed, i clicked it from the site (on the right side of the page where all the videos are linked)

3 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

oh, didn't know that, since i don't have any of the things you mentioned.

Also, this wasnt in my feed, i clicked it from the site (on the right side of the page where all the videos are linked)

What I meant by the feed comment, is that I think these #shorts videos are not meant for desktop users, only meant for mobile viewers (much like YouTube Stories). 

20 hours ago, Spotty said:

I don't think being little preview/promotional clips for full length regular youtube videos is really what Youtube has in mind for #shorts. #Shorts are Youtube's answer to Tik Tok/vine/instagram stories/etc. They're short format videos short in portrait meant for casual viewing on phones. I've never used it, but I think the way it works is on mobile you can view a #Shorts category and it will just automatically play through an endless feed of whatever trending and recommended #shorts videos. It's basically Youtube but for people with even shorter attention spans and Youtube's way of clawing back some of the eyeballs that are on Tik Tok and maximising watch time on the platform.

Okay, maybe I should I would love for the shorts to be sort of like small trailers for channels.

For example, a music or animation channel can show a small part of their animation and people can click to a full video of that thing, for example.

But the whole "click and watch a whole bunch of videos" kind of reminds me how those toy channels on YouTube gamed the system back in 2015/2016, by basically exploiting the autoplay feature to probably be viewed millions of times by children.

We shall see what YouTube is actually going to do with shorts, now that it seems like it might be out of beta.

20 hours ago, Spotty said:

watch on 2x speed as he does take a very long time to explain anything and he does tend to repeat himself quite a bit.

watching at higher speeds seems to be a requirement for certain YouTube creators nowadays, when I watched that video of the Spiffing Brit a bit ago I instinctively set it to 1.75x speed and skipped the intro.

I'm not subbed to any LMG channels but this thread made me look up channel superfun and their #short (or whatever you call it) and to me it seems like they did something wrong. 

The first video isn't a vertical video. The video file itself is a regular wide-screen video with hard codes black bars on the side. The second one seems correctly formated. However, neither of them behaves like the other shorts I have seen on channels like vsauce. 

On the vsauce short videos, I can scroll down and get to snother short video, TikTok style. The superfun videos however, just seems to be regular videos. 

I think LMG fucked up somewhere. Not just by posting old content, but also how they categorized the videos as shorts seems incorrect. 

Vertical videos are evil and should be illegal.