Crypto Miners Fool Nvidia's Anti-Mining Limiter With $6 HDMI Dummy Plug

Lightwreather

Summary

Sometimes the toughest problems have the easiest solutions. Nvidia might claim that its hash limiter on the GeForce RTX 3060 is unhackable, but that doesn't mean that a workaround doesn't exist. Cryptocurrency miners have seemingly found the solution to the limiter, and it only costs $5.99.

GeForce RTX 3060

Quotes

Although Nvidia put an anti-mining algorithm in place to nerf the GeForce RTX 3060's hash rate in Ethereum, the mechanism didn't last very long. As odd as it may sound, Nvidia gave away the keys to its own kingdom when the chipmaker accidentally released a GeForce beta driver that disabled the limiter.

However, the beta driver doesn't completely unlock Ethereum mining as there are still some restrictions present. For starters, the driver supposedly limits the mining activities to one GeForce RTX 3060. It does this by requiring the graphics card needed to communicate with the motherboard through a PCIe 3.0 x8 interface as a minimum, meaning PCIe x1 risers are useless. Furthermore, a monitor has to be connected to the GeForce RTX 3060 via the HDMI port or DisplayPort output.

he second requisite seems expensive since you'd need to connect a monitor to each GeForce RTX 3060. However, Nvidia's driver isn't as smart as the chipmaker makes it out to be — The driver detects if a monitor is connected to the graphics card, but it can't tell the difference if it's a real display or not. Therefore, an HDMI dummy plug, which retails for as low as $5.99 on Amazon, easily tricks Nvidia's driver into thinking that a display is effectively present when in reality, it isn't.A user from Quasar Zone has proven that the workaround is functional with his four-way GeForce RTX 3060 setup. Each graphics card put up a hash rate of around 48 MH/s to contribute to the total average of 192 MH/s. It doesn't even require a modern platform to work. The user's modest testbed revolved around a dual-core Intel Pentium G3220 processor from the long-gone Haswell days and a Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 motherboard. The user also confirmed that his setup works on the Maximus VI Extreme as well. The two motherboards share the same attribute of having four PCIe 3.0 x16 expansion slots, ideal for housing the user's four GeForce RTX 3060 graphics cards.

Nvidia's hash limiter is but a small rock in cryptocurrency miners' path. Since a workaround is plausible, it's just a matter of time before someone perfects it to circumvent the anti-mining mechanism completely.

My thoughts

This is Hilarious. First nvidia unlocks the driver and now we find this. The old adage of "where there is a will, there is a way", certainly seems true, anouncing something as "unhackable", is bound to get it hacked or circumvented in some way. imo, if nvidia had silently added the mining limiter, it might have worked, instead they had to pull off a PR stunt and well, yea.

But anyway, if you have a bunch of 3060s lying about, I hate you first of all. But if are gonna be mining with the 3060, well, now you know there are ways to unlock its full potential.

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cryptominers-fool-nvidia-anti-mining-limited-hdmi-dummy-plug

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

I can't believe this is all it took... So sad. 

Spoiler

Alexa, play Despacito. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Why cant it be this easy to break their power and voltage limits, dang.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Damn so true, so much locked away potential.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Damn so true, so much locked away potential.

buh mah warrante tho

Just now, linuxChips2600 said:

buh mah warrante tho

The miners still get warranty, another thing to be envy of

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just one question, which platform is he using and how can he manages to provide x8 bandwidth for each card?

Intel platform may have a lot of lanes from the chipset, but very little motherboards support at least 2 x8 lane right?

EDIT:

Take a look at the motherboard manual, it is Z87 chipset and uses two switches.

3 minutes ago, Icarus_Radio said:

Just one question, which platform is he using and how can he manages to provide x8 bandwidth for each card?

Intel platform may have a lot of lanes from the chipset, but very little motherboards support at least 2 x8 lane right?

1 hour ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

The user's modest testbed revolved around a dual-core Intel Pentium G3220 processor from the long-gone Haswell days and a Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 motherboard. The user also confirmed that his setup works on the Maximus VI Extreme as well. The two motherboards share the same attribute of having four PCIe 3.0 x16 expansion slots, ideal for housing the user's four GeForce RTX 3060 graphics cards.

Yeah I don't think many people have extreme boards with 4x 8x lanes lol

But hey, if it's earning money, I can see people spending extra on a board just for this

Maybe Nvidia should just give up and not limit anything at all ❤️ I'd love to have a 3080ti

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

8 minutes ago, Icarus_Radio said:

PCIe PLX chip. They are used to provide more electrical PCIe lanes while sharing PCIe connectivity back to the CPU. Exactly the same way the chipset on Ryzen works, the chipset provides a bunch of PCIe lanes but there is only a PCIe 4.0 x4 link between the chipset and the CPU.

Some motherboard models come with PLX chips on them, rare but they exist.

Why is anyone at all surprised that nVidia's 'ffolproof' block is easily broken is beyond me. We all knew that the nVidia driver block was just PR anyway, and that sooner of later, multiple workarounds would be available.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Rge problem is, the retailers don't care, the microcenter of middle east literally sells mining rigs with 6 3090 for 18000 dollars, this could all be solved if they shut off online shopping for more than one card

21 minutes ago, leadeater said:

PCIe PLX chip. They are used to provide more electrical PCIe lanes while sharing PCIe connectivity back to the CPU. Exactly the same way the chipset on Ryzen works, the chipset provides a bunch of PCIe lanes but there is only a PCIe 4.0 x4 link between the chipset and the CPU.

Some motherboard models come with PLX chips on them, rare but they exist.

Also the GTX 690 had a PLX chip. Same ones on these mobos, to make Two GPUs one via sli on the same card.

3 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

Just publicly make the claim the power limits set in place are "Unhackable"......
Someone will get around to it shortly.

On a side note:
Can't wait to see how high the scalpers will price HDMI dummy plugs.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

3 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

On a side note:
Can't wait to see how high the scalpers will price HDMI dummy plugs.

dummy hdmi plugs for sale,  only for 100 dollars, buy 2 for 150!!!

9 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Just publicly make the claim the power limits set in place are "Unhackable"......
Someone will get around to it shortly.

undervolting CPUs is unhackable!!!

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

this was very anti-spanish inquisition to be this breakable

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

I recall having to make something like this years ago for F@H, but it was a DVI dummy plug.

18 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Summary

Sometimes the toughest problems have the easiest solutions. Nvidia might claim that its hash limiter on the GeForce RTX 3060 is unhackable, but that doesn't mean that a workaround doesn't exist. Cryptocurrency miners have seemingly found the solution to the limiter, and it only costs $5.99.

GeForce RTX 3060

Quotes

My thoughts

This is Hilarious. First nvidia unlocks the driver and now we find this. The old adage of "where there is a will, there is a way", certainly seems true, anouncing something as "unhackable", is bound to get it hacked or circumvented in some way. imo, if nvidia had silently added the mining limiter, it might have worked, instead they had to pull off a PR stunt and well, yea.

But anyway, if you have a bunch of 3060s lying about, I hate you first of all. But if are gonna be mining with the 3060, well, now you know there are ways to unlock its full potential.

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cryptominers-fool-nvidia-anti-mining-limited-hdmi-dummy-plug

i hate cryptocard currency mining, its just contributing to the gpu issues. I wish this workarround didnt exist.

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

New idea to combat gpu scalpers: buy all the dummy plugs. I see no problems at all with that xD

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

Kind of reminds me of the Mouse Jiggler. It's a basic HID input device that jiggles the mouse cursor to prevent RDS / Citrix from timing out due to inactivity. I remember someone in an IT department was at his wits' ends trying to figure out why sessions weren't logging off at night to free up concurrent licensed seats. He eventually found out at work that news of these broke loose in a sales department and everyone had installed that device. Needless to say, he drafted a ban on these and the IT director agreed and signed off on them.

This is... this is just pathetic.

I think we all expected nVidia's "unhackable" solution to be broken, but I don't think anyone expected the workaround to be this goddamn ridiculous.

What I'm the most of afraid of is that nVidia will likely counter this with a driver update and, again, just like what happened with the dev driver, only gamers will suffer the consequences while miners will just be able to stay on the current driver version forever without a care in the world.